• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

To Give You a Size of the Immense and Growing Size of Illegal Immigration

I don't think anyone in Washington really cares enough to do anything substantial. The billionaire donors like the status quo. So the dems will wring their hands while the reps flat out lie.
And THAT'S the point. Neither party has any interest in actually doing their jobs. They avoid doing them in very different ways, they shirk their duty using very different narratives and emotional goads... but at the end of the day neither is actually doing what they're supposed to.

Republicans don't want to waste $60bil on Biden's war on Russia, when Trump is almost in the WH again.
Not giving Biden regime $60bil makes Biden defeat in Ukraine a certainty which in turn makes his defeat in November a certainty as well.
Ukraine is the best military deal the US has ever had and you handed to us on a silver platter.

The fact that the two sides use different tactics doesn't negate that they were engaged in the same objective.
Their objectives are very different. One wants democratic freedoms. One wants authoritarianism. Please don't miss any more trees for the forest.

And THAT'S the point. Neither party has any interest in actually doing their jobs. They avoid doing them in very different ways, they shirk their duty using very different narratives and emotional goads... but at the end of the day neither is actually doing what they're supposed to.
I don't share your cynicism. And I try not to separate the good from the perfect. I know, how naive of me.

I don't share your cynicism. And I try not to separate the good from the perfect. I know, how naive of me.
Meh. I'm a bit more focused on recognizing that the slightly less evil is still not good at all.

This person almost certainly was suffering from serious mental illness problems. Calling a person suffering from severe mental illness a MAGAtard (as silly as that is in the first place) really has no place in civil discussion.
Beheading a public servant, shooting up a pizza store, breaking into Pelosi's house with a hammer, mailing pipe bombs... Sure you could argue that is mental illness. I would say more importantly it's a pattern involving MAGAtards. And this pattern has a distinct and measurable degree of escalation after each act.
There's a problem with political divisiveness in the US right now. It's not limited to only one side, unless you think CHOP/CHAS and the anarchy in Portland are somehow not influenced by politics. Almost any sort of organized gathering on a topic that touches on a political topic ends up with violent counter-protesters showing up.

It's a really big, really serious problem.
CHOP/CHAS is tiny compared to MAGA.

The democrats spent 4 years trying to prove that Trump colluded with Russia to manipulate voters,

Senate Russia report proves Trump collusion was very real. But do voters care?
Far from a hoax, as the president so often claimed, the report reveals how the Trump campaign willingly engaged with Russian operatives implementing the influence effort. For instance, the report exposes interactions and information exchanged between Russian intelligence officer Konstantin Kilimnik and then-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort. According to the report, campaign figures “presented attractive targets for foreign influence, creating notable counterintelligence vulnerabilities.” (Manafort was later convicted of tax and bank fraud.)
Do please try to keep up with the news.

Take a step back and think about it honestly here - if Trump had *won* do you think the majority of democrats would have just said "oh, well, that's the will of the people, that's fine" and smiled their way through the next four years?

I doubt it, given that the majority of democrats spent the entire first four years of Trump's term focused almost exclusively on trying to force him out of office, while simultaneously trying to convince everyone to change election rules completely.

Different tactics, same objective.
Huh? Change the rules how?

And they tried to force him out of office because he was utterly unsuited to the job, made America a laughing stock.

All the Republican Party had to run on was that Slick Willy cheated on his wife. They turned that into a circus.

They've been in freefall ever since, in terms of ideas and pro-American policies. That's why they're stuck with gerrymandering and teapartying, and insurrection and deceit.

That's the reality as I see it. Where do you see Republicans trying to improve themselves?
Tom
The Republicans were already on the way down long before then. It just wasn't so mainstream.

For one thing, the Republicans at least appear concerned over our open southern borders. They very well may do nothing about it, but showing concern is at least knowing that there is a big problem.
So it's about appearances rather than what they do?

The fact that they explicitly do not want to address it until after the election isn't evidence of their true position?

Republicans don't want to waste $60bil on Biden's war on Russia, when Trump is almost in the WH again.
Not giving Biden regime $60bil makes Biden defeat in Ukraine a certainty which in turn makes his defeat in November a certainty as well.
Ukraine is the best military deal the US has ever had and you handed to us on a silver platter.
If you are Nuland, then yes. If you are normal human being then it is worst.
In reality it was the greatest bet if you are a scum like Nuland. But you lost it.

How many democrats alleged election fraud in 2016?
I can answer that. Less than the amount of Republicans who insisted there was election fraud even in 2016. Trying to both sides this is patently dishonest.

Lying about election fraud is solely a right wing phenomenon.
The fact that the two sides use different tactics doesn't negate that they were engaged in the same objective. The democrats spent 4 years trying to prove that Trump colluded with Russia to manipulate voters, they spent 4 years challenging the entire concept of the electoral college. The Republicans went straight to claims of fraud - but the objective was the same: to discredit the person who won the election and undermine the legitimacy of their term in office.

The mugger and the con man are both after your money. The mugger is just less sophisticated about it.
That is not what you are doing when you promote this "both sides" false equivalence, What you are arguing is a serial rapist and someone who doesn't pay parking tickets are exactly the same because they are both breaking the law. Nope. One is clearly worse than the other. Same deal when it comes to election fraud and domestic terrorism. The right do it significantly more than the left. Deal with it.

It is funny. Sen. Lankford was able to extort the Democrats for concessions on the border for what should have generally just been support money for Israel and Ukraine. In the good ole days, this extortion would have been heralded as a masterwork by the GOP and conservative pundits.

With a man-child baby looking to try to get back into the White House, he sees it as a loss because... it wouldn't personally benefit him in any way, particularly in a partisan manner. Again, this likely passes in the House if put up for a vote.

I don't think anyone in Washington really cares enough to do anything substantial. The billionaire donors like the status quo. So the dems will wring their hands while the reps flat out lie.
The Democrats tosses us a bone occasionally while the GOP throws them at us.

This is the cute look at it. It ignores the actual attempt by the GOP to starve cities of tax revenue and control over themselves, starve public schooling by shifting funds to charter schools (particularly ones that exist for a just a few years), oh... and making abortion a crime... in states like Texas, making it a crime to drive on roads to somewhere where it is legal, and currently attempting to outlaw medicinal abortions nationwide.

But the Dems are just a tiny bit less evil. :rolleyesa:

On the subject of immigration, I quite agree with @Emily Lake .
Of course, then there's the raft of other issues.

To inject some hardcore conservative patriotic fervor...
WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS!
We have been since before there even was a USA. Our most cherished symbol is The Statue of Liberty. Immigrants didn't poison our blood. They produced a social hybrid vigor. That's where our greatness came from in the first place.

The last thing we need is a Wall. We need processing centers comparable to Ellis Island.
Tom

On the subject of immigration, I quite agree with @Emily Lake .
Of course, then there's the raft of other issues.

To inject some hardcore conservative patriotic fervor...
WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS!
We have been since before there even was a USA. Our most cherished symbol is The Statue of Liberty. Immigrants didn't poison our blood. They produced a social hybrid vigor. That's where our greatness came from in the first place.

The last thing we need is a Wall. We need processing centers comparable to Ellis Island.
Tom

It was a gift from France that was hijacked and subverted by Emma Lazarus.

For one thing, the Republicans at least appear concerned over our open southern borders. They very well may do nothing about it, but showing concern is at least knowing that there is a big problem.
So it's about appearances rather than what they do?

The fact that they explicitly do not want to address it until after the election isn't evidence of their true position?

What's more, they want to address it after the election...an election they're hoping their "tough on the border" guy wins. How did that work out the last time?

Trump Reduced Legal Immigration. He Did Not Reduce Illegal Immigration

Note that this is from the radical leftist kooks at the (checks notes) CATO Institute.

Trump was wildly successful in reducing legal immigration. By November 2020, the Trump administration reduced the number of green cards issued to people abroad by at least 418,453 and the number of non‐immigrant visas by at least 11,178,668 during his first term through November 2020. President Trump also entered the White House with the goal of eliminating illegal immigration but Trump oversaw a virtual collapse in interior immigration enforcement and the stabilization of the illegal immigrant population. Thus, Trump succeeded in reduce legal immigration and failed to eliminate illegal immigration.

Back
Top Bottom