• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

To Give You a Size of the Immense and Growing Size of Illegal Immigration

This fell apart when those people with the grasp of reality pointed out that illegal immigrants can't vote.
Meh. Some yes, some no. Illegal immigrants can't legally vote. But that's impossible to enforce when identification and citizenship status aren't verified for voting.

Look, when I go to the local doctor's office, there's a sign prominently posted that says it is illegal to bring firearms, knives, or pepper spray into the office. But there's also no checking involved to see if anyone is complying with that law. The reality is that anyone could bring a concealed weapon into the office with them at any time. Nobody would know, because nobody is verifying at all.

So you think voter registration and verification is nothing more than a sign that says "please don't vote if you're an illegal?"
Depends on the state.

Many states allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses... and they require only a driver's license to register to vote. It would be reasonable and rational to expect cross-checking... but I've stopped assuming anything.

In CA, for example, you have to provide your driver's license in order to register to vote. The basic instructions for getting a driver's license say that you should be prepared to show your SSN card. But someone without a SSN can still get a DL - in fact, there's a process for a person to get a DL if they're unable to provide proof of legal residency. One would hope that the voter registration excludes AB 60 DLs, but they look identical at a glance. Additionally, Immigrant Legal Resource Center in CA has the following guidance in their AB 60 FAQs:
Just because they look identical at a glance doesn't mean there is no difference in the records. Why do you persist in assuming the visible security is the whole of the security?! In the real world visible security is for deterrence purposes, most of the real security is hidden.

And note that there are situations where it would be completely reasonable to issue a driver's license to someone who isn't a resident. In most cases a non-resident would use the license from where they actually live, but what if they don't have one? They only learned to drive while here. If you don't have work permission you might not need a social security number (note that you can have a social security number with neither residence nor work permission--they'll issue a SSN to anyone who has a reasonable need for one) so the existence of licenses without social security numbers isn't only for illegals. Off the top of my head I would expect many foreign students to be in this situation.

Essentially, if someone provides false info to the DMV to get a DL, CA's policy is to do nothing about it. alternatively, you can still get a DL as an illegal alien, with one bit of fine print on the back that says it's not legal for federal purposes. And as long as you have a DL, you can register to vote. Theoretically, it should be relatively easy for an illegal immigrant to get the documents that are technically required for voting.
Fundamentally, it makes more sense to issue licenses to illegals than to not issue them. They're going to drive anyway, better to make sure they know how.
One would hope that the appropriate cross-checks are being performed, and that both fraudulent and illegal DLs are being excluded and denied the opportunity to vote. But unless CA performs a pretty stringent audit, there's no certainty that such cross-checks are performed. And while it's certainly not conclusive by any means, CA has in the past refused to provide voter information for audit purposes.
Why do you think they wouldn't check? They don't just blindly accept information on voter registrations, it's checked against other databases. Note the eternal drumbeating about obviously fraudulent registrations (casual worker paid per person they register, they make up bogus people to get more money) that keep being proclaimed as evidence of vote fraud (no, it's defrauding employers, the entries don't match up with reality and get tossed.)

And I agree with them not cooperating with the "audits". They are witch hunts, the vast majority of people they challenge are legally registered.

Note how we keep getting Republicans "proving" how easy it is to engage in vote fraud--and going to jail because they didn't actually get away with it. Most recent example:

Yeah, the system accepted the bogus request--but left a smoking gun pointing at the guilty party.

<Walks up to Emily, pulls out gun, shoots. See, nobody stopped me, murder is fine!>

The republican's say they did not like the bipartisan bill because it did absolutely nothing of value to fix open borders that Biden can not already fix instantly by simply exercising his executive power. Was that really why the republican's did not vote for the bill?......I do not honestly know. Maybe they did not support the bill because of the democrat conspiracy theory that Trump did not want them to support it. Or maybe not.
Conspiracy theory? Just what are you smoking?

Who is denying that The Orange Fool opposed it??

Biden sends thousands to tens of thousands of active duty troops (or federalized national guard troops) to the border. Some will man each port of entry and search every vehicle crossing the border. Others will turn back at gunpoint anyone crossing the border without authorization. All asylum attempts denied. Other troops will patrol the nearly 2000 miles of border day and night and detain and deport anyone crossing outside of a valid port of entry.

Is this the kind of thing you are thinking? If Biden did this the Republicans would be happy? Or would they try to impeach him for acting like a dictator and overstepping Congressional authority?
1) Tens of thousands? That would be a hopeless mission! You'll need a lot more troops!

2) Does absolutely nothing about the majority of illegals that are overstays.

3) Does nothing about those who go around the border.

This fell apart when those people with the grasp of reality pointed out that illegal immigrants can't vote.
Meh. Some yes, some no. Illegal immigrants can't legally vote. But that's impossible to enforce when identification and citizenship status aren't verified for voting.

Look, when I go to the local doctor's office, there's a sign prominently posted that says it is illegal to bring firearms, knives, or pepper spray into the office. But there's also no checking involved to see if anyone is complying with that law. The reality is that anyone could bring a concealed weapon into the office with them at any time. Nobody would know, because nobody is verifying at all.

So you think voter registration and verification is nothing more than a sign that says "please don't vote if you're an illegal?"
Depends on the state.

Many states allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses... and they require only a driver's license to register to vote. It would be reasonable and rational to expect cross-checking... but I've stopped assuming anything.

In CA, for example, you have to provide your driver's license in order to register to vote. The basic instructions for getting a driver's license say that you should be prepared to show your SSN card. But someone without a SSN can still get a DL - in fact, there's a process for a person to get a DL if they're unable to provide proof of legal residency. One would hope that the voter registration excludes AB 60 DLs, but they look identical at a glance. Additionally, Immigrant Legal Resource Center in CA has the following guidance in their AB 60 FAQs:
Just because they look identical at a glance doesn't mean there is no difference in the records. Why do you persist in assuming the visible security is the whole of the security?! In the real world visible security is for deterrence purposes, most of the real security is hidden.

I completely agree with you here and I saw that, too, in reading Emily's post. It's like saying security on IIDB is terrible because they don't even track IP addresses. Of course, behind the scenes IP addresses are in fact tracked, but the casual user doesn't see it and staff isn't going to go about trying to disprove the claim by giving real life examples of people's IPs. Indeed, most security is hidden because this is how security works. You don't want the casual users to know the strategies being employed because then they can try to break through the security and there can be holes and you don't want people to figure those out.

Why do you think they wouldn't check? They don't just blindly accept information on voter registrations, it's checked against other databases.

I can attest that relevant databases exist. As someone who has done a lot of work in modern genealogy (which probably sounds odd to bring up), I have often had to connect the existence of a living person to other people generations beforehand based merely on a nickname, user name, initials, or full name if I am lucky. Not only can this be done, but starting from someone's full name and alleged residence would be way easier to do. There are residential databases among others that scrape the Internet or multiple databases including the residential ones, criminal databases, business and financial and piece together reports of everyone. One can access just one, many, or one of those conglomerate databases to investigate a person or confirm residence if needed.

To add--there are also social security databases, including those publicly available to genealogists but also those that are available to security or state actors which probably all have different levels of privacy and access. These are also integrated into reports available through services or if it is a state actor doing the query, it is probably a different level of privacy. For example, Loren, I can tell you where you got your SSN and the approximate year you got the SSN. Without going into too much detail because I do not want to reveal too much, you were 4 or 5 years old and it was not in Nevada. I know which state and when. This is a typical scenario for citizens whereas immigrants most often have SSNs issued much later in life. If, for example, someone has their SSN registered at year 15 or later the probability is going way up that they were not born in the US.

Let me give a concrete example. I am aware of a person born in Haiti in 1949. They came to the US in the 80s. Their SSN was registered in DC between 1981 and 1983. One can clearly see they were not 4 or 5 years old from the examination of databases.

One can certainly imagine that such records could be red-flagged for further searches OR all records regardless could also be checked against even more databases. Again, working in genealogy, I can say that we have access to OLDer records of citizenship and immigration, but a state actor would have different levels of access to records of people becoming citizens or registering with immigration. It is also a certainty that the SS database itself includes birth location, but that may not be available to common people such as me querying public reports. I do know it has a birth location available once a person is deceased so it is present in the record just protected from public view until later.

So the idea that an immigrant can get a SSN isn't a security hole at all. It is a way to look them up and link their info across databases and get even more info on them.

One can certainly imagine that such records could be red-flagged for further searches OR all records regardless could also be checked against even more databases. Again, working in genealogy, I can say that we have access to OLDer records of citizenship and immigration, but a state actor would have different levels of access to records of people becoming citizens or registering with immigration.

To add a little more info here...looking up a person here using their name, residence and DOB, one can check against their SSN and see if it checks out...and if it appears they do not have one that is also telling. Such fields can also be run against immigration and citizenship records. When a person is in the country legally there are records and when they become a citizen, same thing. If none of these things are coming back, that is a red flag.

Biden sends thousands to tens of thousands of active duty troops (or federalized national guard troops) to the border. Some will man each port of entry and search every vehicle crossing the border. Others will turn back at gunpoint anyone crossing the border without authorization. All asylum attempts denied. Other troops will patrol the nearly 2000 miles of border day and night and detain and deport anyone crossing outside of a valid port of entry.

Is this the kind of thing you are thinking? If Biden did this the Republicans would be happy? Or would they try to impeach him for acting like a dictator and overstepping Congressional authority?
1) Tens of thousands? That would be a hopeless mission! You'll need a lot more troops!

2) Does absolutely nothing about the majority of illegals that are overstays.

3) Does nothing about those who go around the border.
So, then I would ask again, what specific Presidential action are people expecting that will “fix” the border problem? Maybe invade Mexico like Trump wanted? Bomb the cartels and then blame another country for the attack like Trump suggested?

It’s all fine and good to blame Biden for not doing anything but then not have any idea what he could do.

Do I think there is a direct incentive for the democrats to prefer open borders for helping the democrat voting rolls?
Can you name a single Democrat that is campaigning for open borders? Didn't think so.
Was that really why the republican's did not vote for the bill?......I do not honestly know. Maybe they did not support the bill because of the democrat conspiracy theory that Trump did not want them to support it. Or maybe not.
Curious how you claim uncertainty when it comes to Republican motives but you are so certain you can read the minds of every elected Democrat...

Do you think the reason they come here is to vote illegally? Because that's the conspiracy theory. They come here to illegally vote in our elections, and "sanctuary cities/states" enable this to turn the country more blue. Having jobs and making money to send back to their families? That's secondary according to the conspiracy theory. Ask a young couple from Venezuela who carried their child across thousands of miles of Central America and Mexico, they'll tell you - according to the right wing - their primary reason for traveling to America was to vote for Democrats.

Really?
JFC on a pogo stick. Nothing I've said suggests the silly narrative that you're trying to foist on me.
Note that I said "right wing" and "conspiracy." RVonse thinks that somehow illegal immigrants are being allowed in to skew the voting rolls in favor of Democrats, so he buys into at least some of the aspects of said conspiracy. Do you?
No one calls this a conspiracy theory. Not Musk, myself, or anyone else. Open borders is being called an incentive for the democrats.

Do you see the difference between an incentive and a conspiracy theory? An incentive is if company X raises the price of an item there is an incentive not to buy as many items. Hence no conspiracy theory needed to be proven since we know the actors (in general) are going to behave in a rational and predictable way.

Do you think the reason they come here is to vote illegally?
Do I think they come here to vote? No. Do I think there is a direct incentive for the democrats to prefer open borders for helping the democrat voting rolls? I think a very good possibility, yes.
How are they "helping the Democrat voting rolls" if they're not voting, not registering, and not participating in the census? Is it magic?
From post #594
The scam has nothing to do with how they individually vote. This has to do with census numbers and the amount of proportional congressional seats and electoral votes the state gets. So the sanctuary states (which are always blue) taking in all these people get more seats and electoral votes regardless whether or not these illegals even make it to vote. So regardless how the illegals vote, them merely being reported part of the census helps a blue state appear larger than it is.

Do you think the reason they come here is to vote illegally? Because that's the conspiracy theory. They come here to illegally vote in our elections, and "sanctuary cities/states" enable this to turn the country more blue. Having jobs and making money to send back to their families? That's secondary according to the conspiracy theory. Ask a young couple from Venezuela who carried their child across thousands of miles of Central America and Mexico, they'll tell you - according to the right wing - their primary reason for traveling to America was to vote for Democrats.

Really?
JFC on a pogo stick. Nothing I've said suggests the silly narrative that you're trying to foist on me.
Note that I said "right wing" and "conspiracy." RVonse thinks that somehow illegal immigrants are being allowed in to skew the voting rolls in favor of Democrats, so he buys into at least some of the aspects of said conspiracy. Do you?
No one calls this a conspiracy theory. Not Musk, or myself, or anyone else. Its being called an incentive for the democrats.

Do you see the difference between an incentive and a conspiracy theory?
Branding?
An incentive is if company X raises the price of an item there is an incentive not to buy as many items. Hence no conspiracy theory to needed to be proven since we know that people are going to behave in a rational way.
Biden has sent over a million people back over the border. What is the electoral incentive of him doing that?

When are you going to get on to discussing why Trump conspired to have the Census under count red states and over count blue states?

Really?
No one calls this a conspiracy theory. Not Musk, myself, or anyone else. Open borders is being called an incentive for the democrats.

Do you see the difference between an incentive and a conspiracy theory? An incentive is if company X raises the price of an item there is an incentive not to buy as many items. Hence no conspiracy theory needed to be proven since we know the actors (in general) are going to behave in a rational and predictable way.
So the right wing are basically saying that the Democrats could game the system, if they were dishonourable and vile; And that they cannot believe that they are not doing so, because if the positions were reversed, the right wing would game the fuck out of the system.

So the right wing are basically saying that the Democrats could game the system, if they were dishonourable and vile; And that they cannot believe that they are not doing so, because if the positions were reversed, the right wing would game the fuck out of the system.
This what makes @RVonse posts look so ridiculous to me.

Californian people who treat their fellow humans well, by adhering to American values and Jesus' Teachings, get a tiny bit of extra political power. Quite legal and very small.

Very very small.
Somehow that's a problem for him.
Makes him sound like an anti-Christian progressive to me.
Tom

Really?

The Republicans keep screaming "THE BORDERS ARE OPEN! THE BORDERS ARE OPEN!" Then they wonder why people show up at the border.

Do I think they come here to vote? No. Do I think there is a direct incentive for the democrats to prefer open borders for helping the democrat voting rolls? I think a very good possibility, yes.
How are they "helping the Democrat voting rolls" if they're not voting, not registering, and not participating in the census? Is it magic?
From post #594
The scam has nothing to do with how they individually vote. This has to do with census numbers and the amount of proportional congressional seats and electoral votes the state gets. So the sanctuary states (which are always blue) taking in all these people get more seats and electoral votes regardless whether or not these illegals even make it to vote. So regardless how the illegals vote, them merely being reported part of the census helps a blue state appear larger than it is.
But that post has been debunked by the historical census numbers and proportion of electoral votes. You made the claim that this would help blue states such as California and New York, but the data show that those two states have either kept their electoral proportions constant or declined. Whereas a red state like Texas has increased its proportion.

So you can make the claim that illegal immigrants increase the amount of congressional seats for the sanctuary states, but reality says otherwise.

From post #594
But that post has been debunked by the historical census numbers and proportion of electoral votes. You made the claim that this would help blue states such as California and New York, but the data show that those two states have either kept their electoral proportions constant or declined. Whereas a red state like Texas has increased its proportion.

So you can make the claim that illegal immigrants increase the amount of congressional seats for the sanctuary states, but reality says otherwise.
How dare you bring facts into a purely speculative situation! How are we supposed to scare Americans about immigrants if you keep bringing "reality" into things? Jeez...

Every time I see this thread title, my brain wants to replace “illegal immigration” with “my penis”.

I know, get help.
It actually would be a curse.

An immense penis won't fit. You would never get to have decent sex. And remember, the penis is inflated by blood. You have the same inflation pressure available regardless of size--the bigger the penis the softer the erection.
I don't want one, I just can't shake the thought of the OP writing that.

To add--there are also social security databases, including those publicly available to genealogists but also those that are available to security or state actors which probably all have different levels of privacy and access. These are also integrated into reports available through services or if it is a state actor doing the query, it is probably a different level of privacy. For example, Loren, I can tell you where you got your SSN and the approximate year you got the SSN. Without going into too much detail because I do not want to reveal too much, you were 4 or 5 years old and it was not in Nevada. I know which state and when. This is a typical scenario for citizens whereas immigrants most often have SSNs issued much later in life. If, for example, someone has their SSN registered at year 15 or later the probability is going way up that they were not born in the US.
That's actually more than I knew. I had no idea of when it was issued, but I had never cared to try to find out.

One can certainly imagine that such records could be red-flagged for further searches OR all records regardless could also be checked against even more databases. Again, working in genealogy, I can say that we have access to OLDer records of citizenship and immigration, but a state actor would have different levels of access to records of people becoming citizens or registering with immigration. It is also a certainty that the SS database itself includes birth location, but that may not be available to common people such as me querying public reports. I do know it has a birth location available once a person is deceased so it is present in the record just protected from public view until later.

So the idea that an immigrant can get a SSN isn't a security hole at all. It is a way to look them up and link their info across databases and get even more info on them.
Exactly. In the old days you could assume the identity of a dead child and be likely to get away with it. Not anymore, things are simply too cross-linked.

It didn't increase the amount of seats, but it prevented them from shrinking seats when they ought to have.
It seems there is a lot of moving parts for this alleged conspiracy theory. And very little payoff relatively speaking.

Back
Top Bottom