• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump and neocons started War with Iran in order to win elections?

It doesn't take a genius to realize Iran is a problem for stability in the Middle East.

It does take a very special type of moron to think Trump is the solution, however. I have complete confidence in the dumb fuck's ability to make a bad situation worse.

You know, for some reason I don't think Trump can competently handle counterinsurgency operations and asymmetrical warfare. Just the vibe I get from the man. I'm also pretty certain Mr "nobody knows the military better than me" will defer to expert advice either.

This is going to end perfectly. Believe me.

Predictably, Donald Trump did not consult with Congress about an operation on this scale, nor did he consult with US allies, who have troops and personnel in the region. Unprecedented, but not unexpected, given Trump's past failure to follow precedent in foreign policy matters.

Suleimani was not a good guy by any stretch of the imagination, but killing him was almost certain to be considered an act of war by Iran. So retaliation is certain, but possibly not immediately. I don't think that Iran thought Trump would do something this blatantly provocative, so they will take their time to consider how to response. Right now, those experts on the region that I've seen consulted seem to think that the retaliation will come from Iranian proxies, rather than a direct attack, but it will be obvious that it is retaliation for this assassination. Suleimani was not only an extremely well-known figure in Iran, but also a popular figure. So one immediate effect is that the anti-government protests that have been going on in Iran will end and people will rally around the government there. Over the long term, it is hard to see how escalation to full-scale conflict can be avoided, as each side seeks to save face through revenge and retaliation.

The government of Iraq is in an extremely weak position, and that is why they essentially turned their backs and allowed the US embassy to be attacked briefly. Suleimani was thought to have been one of the strategists behind those attacks, and his name was prominently displayed in graffiti left on walls around the embassy. It is quite possible that Iraq will now feel compelled to expel the US. The most likely response is initially is that US facilities and individuals will be targeted for terrorist reprisals. Iran has a lot of options for responding to this kind of provocation, but an all-out war will likely result in the bottling up of oil exports out of the Gulf.

Is it too late for the 25th Amendment before shit gets real bad?
Are you kidding me? This is one of the saner things #45 has done...

[The people who framed the 25th Amendment]....might have agreed that it could be invoked to remove a president who suffered mental illness that led him to lapse into a state of delusion or unreason. But not a president who already demonstrated those traits when the people, in their wisdom, elected him to office. It didn’t occur to Congress that Americans might need an amendment to protect themselves from their own poor judgment.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/10/25th-amendment-trump-216267

It doesn't take a genius to realize Iran is a problem for stability in the Middle East.

It does take a very special type of moron to think Trump is the solution, however. I have complete confidence in the dumb fuck's ability to make a bad situation worse.

Something I can agree with. Mob bosses don't negotiate.

It all reminds me of the Gulf of Tonkin. Maybe I'm just too old.

Generally speaking, humans are not very bright creatures.

Lion IRC said:
[The people who framed the 25th Amendment]....might have agreed that it could be invoked to remove a president who suffered mental illness that led him to lapse into a state of delusion or unreason. But not a president who already demonstrated those traits when the people, in their wisdom, elected him to office. It didn’t occur to Congress that Americans might need an amendment to protect themselves from their own poor judgment.
The electoral college.

Predictably, Donald Trump did not consult with Congress about an operation on this scale, nor did he consult with US allies, who have troops and personnel in the region. Unprecedented, but not unexpected, given Trump's past failure to follow precedent in foreign policy matters.
There are two issues with this.

1) High level attack directly on the Iranian chain of command
2) Maybe more important... we killed this guy in Iraq! Trump was already straining Iraqi relations, and this attack is bad for Iraq on multiple levels and could help to push them closer to Iran.

The government of Iraq is in an extremely weak position, and that is why they essentially turned their backs and allowed the US embassy to be attacked briefly. Suleimani was thought to have been one of the strategists behind those attacks, and his name was prominently displayed in graffiti left on walls around the embassy. It is quite possible that Iraq will now feel compelled to expel the US. The most likely response is initially is that US facilities and individuals will be targeted for terrorist reprisals. Iran has a lot of options for responding to this kind of provocation, but an all-out war will likely result in the bottling up of oil exports out of the Gulf.
The question becomes, just how much loyalty does Iraq have for the Americans. Especially after Trump screwed the Syrian Kurds. Trump can't see past his nose, especially regarding consequences.

It all reminds me of the Gulf of Tonkin. Maybe I'm just too old.

I'm thinking more of "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq. I was hoping I was wrong back then about how I though it would turn out. I wasn't. I hope I'm wrong now about how I think this will turn out.

Pres. Ellipsis said:
Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation!
Okay, seriously, you just murdered the Colin Powell of Iran, and your thought to rub it in with Obama with a dubiously stupid remark?

Canada and Mexico haven't warred with the US in centuries... and they negotiated successfully.

Sec. of State Pompeo said:
I can't talk too much about the nature of the threats. But the American people should know that the President's decision to remove Soleimani from the battlefield saved American lives.
link

US State Department Twitter 1/3/20 at 3:30 AM said:
Due to heightened tensions in Iraq and the region, we urge U.S. citizens to depart Iraq immediately... U.S. citizens should not approach the Embassy.
link
Depart immediately? I thought the attack made Americans safer. :thinking:

Maybe it is just a local thing? No wait... Kuwait...
US State Department Twitter 1/3/20 at 8:00 AM said:
#Kuwait: The U.S. Embassy in Kuwait is aware of heightened security tensions in the region. U.S. citizens are advised to maintain a high level of vigilance, review their personal security plans, and remain alert to their surroundings at all times.

Bahrain...
US State Department Twitter 1/3/20 at 8:00 AM said:
#Bahrain: In light of regional events, there is potential for spontaneous demonstrations or unrest. While we have no information indicating a threat to American citizens, we encourage you to continually exercise the appropriate level of security awareness.
Maybe we saved lives with the attack in Greenland or something.

Mike Pompeo said:
[FONT=&quot]The world is a much safer place today. And I can ensure you that Americans in the region are much safer today after the demise of Qasem Soleimani.
link

The Sec. of State continues to disagree with the State Department.
[/FONT]

It is unclear if this was:

- an attempt to win an election
- an attempt to distract from impeachment
- they are simply fucking idiots

There is a lot of evidence to suggest option 3.

Perhaps Miller and Pootey advised it to placate Bolton so he would refuse to testify...

It's not like Commander Bonespurs hasn't thought of it before.

81807685_10218150995660594_8568022807022141440_n.jpg

President Ellipsis said:
General Qassem Soleimani has killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans over an extended period of time, and was plotting to kill many more...but got caught! He was directly and indirectly responsible for the death of millions of people, including the recent large number....

....of PROTESTERS killed in Iran itself. While Iran will never be able to properly admit it, Soleimani was both hated and feared within the country. They are not nearly as saddened as the leaders will let the outside world believe. He should have been taken out many years ago!
Wait... directly or indirectly responsible for the death of "millions"? As in plural, more than 2,000,000. What in the hell is Trump talking about?

Also, killed or wounded thousands of Americans? So he gave up on 600, and up'd it to thousands? When does Trump say he was responsible for Alderaan?

From Malcolm Nance:

URGENT: Iraqi army & CT forces are defensive surrounding the Green Zone. All bridges closed. This won’t stop the militias GRAD & IRAM rockets that are certain to come any time now. Any. Time.

The Secretary of State has assured us Americans are safer today because of the attack. So there is nothing to worry about. Sec. Pompeo wouldn't lie to the American People. And he has lots* of experience in American foreign policy.

Oh, don't worry. Jared Kushner is actually in charge of our Middle East policy, so we're all good.

Back
Top Bottom