• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump falls!! Hurt too

He doesn't seem as bad as the Giffords shooter, but something broke in him. It would be a relief if this is a mindless act of violence instead of a targeted political one. Small consolation, but it does matter.

The shooter was no left-winger, and this is going to blunt Trump's use of the incident to promote his campaign. The father of the shooter bought the AR-15 style weapon about 6 months ago and is a registered Libertarian. His wife is a registered Democrat, but his son (the shooter) and daughter are registered Republicans. The shooter was wearing a T-shirt from DemolitionRanch. Draw your own conclusions.

So we've got several ideologies involved if you include the rest of the family. Also the shooter went two ways on his political activity, registering Republican but donating Progressive.

I guess at this point all we can home for is evidence of his motive.

Very impressive progressive credentials that I overlooked: at the age of 17, he donated $15 to the Democratic ActBlue action committee. :rolleyes: He later registered to vote as a Republican, as did his sister. If the slogan on his T-shirt meant anything, it was that he was a gun-fetishist. It isn't possible to conclude anything for certain about his motives, but it is absurd to think that he was some kind of progressive or leftist, most of whom oppose unrestricted gun ownership and legal ownership of assault weapons. :feeling_lucky:
Very impressive credentials, he also checked a box on a form. You know how difficult that is.

Not all leftists or progressives are insane with regards to firearms. Some even own and practice with firearms. Some even respect the 2nd Amendment. Saying "he liked guns" simply means he didn't hate and fear guns the way some radical idiots on the left do.

Jason, pay attention. Thomas Crooks' dad was a registered Libertarian and had legally purchased the gun that his son used. IOW, if you are looking to brand this as an act inspired by political ideology, this one came from your clubhouse. The shooter was wearing a T-shirt with the logo from a radical pro-gun YouTube site, not a Che Guevara T-shirt.
It wasn’t a Democrat
It wasn’t an immigrant
It wasn’t an LGTBQ
It wasn’t an African American
It wasn’t an Atheist

No.

He was white.
He was straight.
He was Christian.
He was a registered Republican

Missing from 200 meters with an AR-15 is... Anyone with more than a day's worth of target practice, with a target that big, is either ridiculously unskilled or wasn't shooting at that target.
Are you speaking from experience with that weapon at that distance? My experience with anything bigger than a .22 was one evening with some friends who were sighting in their hunting rifles. Only one of the five was able to hit a target that size at that distance with any reliability.

The shooter was no left-winger, and this is going to blunt Trump's use of the incident to promote his campaign. The father of the shooter bought the AR-15 style weapon about 6 months ago and is a registered Libertarian. His wife is a registered Democrat, but his son (the shooter) and daughter are registered Republicans. The shooter was wearing a T-shirt from DemolitionRanch. Draw your own conclusions.

So we've got several ideologies involved if you include the rest of the family. Also the shooter went two ways on his political activity, registering Republican but donating Progressive.

Very impressive progressive credentials that I overlooked: at the age of 17, he donated $15 to the Democratic ActBlue action committee. :rolleyes: He later registered to vote as a Republican, as did his sister. If the slogan on his T-shirt meant anything, it was that he was a gun-fetishist. It isn't possible to conclude anything for certain about his motives, but it is absurd to think that he was some kind of progressive or leftist, most of whom oppose unrestricted gun ownership and legal ownership of assault weapons. :feeling_lucky:
Very impressive credentials, he also checked a box on a form. You know how difficult that is.

Not all leftists or progressives are insane with regards to firearms. Some even own and practice with firearms. Some even respect the 2nd Amendment. Saying "he liked guns" simply means he didn't hate and fear guns the way some radical idiots on the left do.

Jason, pay attention. Thomas Crooks' dad was a registered Libertarian and had legally purchased the gun that his son used. IOW, if you are looking to brand this as an act inspired by political ideology, this one came from your clubhouse. The shooter was wearing a T-shirt with the logo from a radical pro-gun YouTube site, not a Che Guevara T-shirt.

So his dad bought the firearm. Did his dad say "go out and shoot that person" when he did so? Did his dad pull the trigger?

It wasn’t a Democrat
It wasn’t an immigrant
It wasn’t an LGTBQ
It wasn’t an Atheist

No.

He was white.
He was straight.
He was Christian.
He was a registered Republican who donated to a Progressive PAC.
FIFY.

There's meat for both sides to chew on, and which of those two points you focus on to the exclusion of the other shows your own political bias in commenting on this story.

From the info so far, Crooks fits your typical mass shooter profile. Socially withdrawn and bullied in high school, got a gun from a parent, ran amok. Instead of a school classroom or grocery store, there was a political rally nearby.

He might have hated Trump or Trumpists. Or maybe he just knew there'd be a crowd nearby to shoot at and it'd have a famous guy standing center-stage.

The motivation of such shooters is to get revenge on the world and die, but leave their mark and be famous. The place he chose to open fire isn't what determines his motive. It might be that he chose it because offing an ex-president would get him more afterlife fame than shooting kids.

Missing from 200 meters with an AR-15 is... Anyone with more than a day's worth of target practice, with a target that big, is either ridiculously unskilled or wasn't shooting at that target.
Are you speaking from experience with that weapon at that distance? My experience with anything bigger than a .22 was one evening with some friends who were sighting in their hunting rifles. Only one of the five was able to hit a target that size at that distance with any reliability.

I would estimate with training should be able to hit the target half the time. But there were probably factors like his glasses, not military grade eyeware, just Trump's upper portion in view, bad angle of his position to avoid counter sniper, small window of time, etc...who knows really.

So his dad bought the firearm. Did his dad say "go out and shoot that person" when he did so? Did his dad pull the trigger?

It wasn’t a Democrat
It wasn’t an immigrant
It wasn’t an LGTBQ
It wasn’t an Atheist

No.

He was white.
He was straight.
He was Christian.
He was a registered Republican who donated to a Progressive PAC.
FIFY.

There's meat for both sides to chew on, and which of those two points you focus on to the exclusion of the other shows your own political bias in commenting on this story.
Not really. Evidence so far points to apolitical assassination attempt.

Reactions: SLD

It wasn’t a Democrat
It wasn’t an immigrant
It wasn’t an LGTBQ
It wasn’t an Atheist

No.

He was white.
He was straight.
He was Christian.
He was a registered Republican who once, when he was 17, more than 3 years ago donated $15 to a large anti- conservative PAC.
FIFY.

Fixed that more accurately for ya.
There’s meat for one side to chew on, and crumbs in the footwell for the other side.

Of course, this was a different situation. There's apparently a video where you can hear several audience members shouting "He's got a gun!" when the shooter had climbed upon the roof, but how did no one notice that he had it before he managed to get up there?
Looking from the land down under I am not surprised that the chap was able to to the top of the building with a gun.
You have so many people wandering around with guns all the time. It would have looked normal.

On an unrelated issue - why do you yanks hate each other so much?

It wasn’t a Democrat
It wasn’t an immigrant
It wasn’t an LGTBQ
It wasn’t an Atheist

No.

He was white.
He was straight.
He was Christian.
He was a registered Republican who once, when he was 17, more than 3 years ago donated $15 to a large anti- conservative PAC.
FIFY.

Fixed that more accurately for ya.
There’s meat for one side to chew on, and crumbs in the footwell for the other side.

Oh come on. A 17 year old donated $15 dollars to a progressive PAC! That's clear and undeniable evidence that anyone to the left of the John Birch Society hates America! Teenagers are always careful with their money and politically well-informed! Why can't you see it?!?!

No, his registered Libertarian dad just raised him and bought the weapon used in the shooting. If you are looking at a $15 donation to a progressive organization in 2021 as some kind of evidence for his political views, you have to ignore all of the rest of his history, including the fact that he was wearing a T-shirt to his life-ending assassination attempt that advertised an extremist pro-gun YouTube site and had a black "never surrender" American flag on the sleeve. That doesn't look like something an Antifa type would wear on a political assassination mission, but, hey, you never know. :Sarcasm:

If you see an all-black American flag, what does that mean?

The ‘No Quarter’ Flag and its Threat to America

The difference between the so-called "Right" and "Left" is that Crooks will never be hero-worshipped. It will not matter what he intended to do or why, his method ensures his damnatio memorium. Say what you will about the liberal wing, but we do not worship monsters.

We're seeing the difference today, but I wonder how many people will notice?

Every single prominent Democrat - Biden, Schumer, AOC, Pennsylvania Senator Fetterman, etc. all down the line are condemning the attack and wishing Trump a speedy recovery. Biden even called personally to wish him well.

Meanwhile, VP hopeful JD Vance and musical theater fan Lauren Boehbert have already come out to blame the shooting on Biden, and when the husband of former Speaker Pelosi was attacked and nearly killed in their home (she was the target, but was elsewhere), Trump joked about it during a rally to roars of laughter from his supporters.
Trump NYT, Aug 2016:
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

I would estimate with training should be able to hit the target half the time. But there were probably factors like his glasses, not military grade eyeware, just Trump's upper portion in view, bad angle of his position to avoid counter sniper, small window of time, etc...who knows really.
Yes, I’d say there are more than enough unknowns to refute a claim that someone who missed him must have been aiming elsewhere.

I read just a few minutes ago that a cop did follow the shooter up the ladder but the shooter pointed the gun at the cop so he immediately retreated.

Yes, I read something like that, too. He saw the cop and pointed his rifle at him. The cop retreated, and he then started firing at the podium. Without the encounter with the cop, Crooks might well have had time to take a better aim at Trump. It is incomprehensible that the security teams set that very tempting sniper's platform outside of their security perimeter and failed to monitor it. I wonder if Biden's security is similarly lax in their preparations.

I read just a few minutes ago that a cop did follow the shooter up the ladder but the shooter pointed the gun at the cop so he immediately retreated.

Yes, I read something like that, too. He saw the cop and pointed his rifle at him. The cop retreated, and he then started firing at the podium. Without the encounter with the cop, Crooks might well have had time to take a better aim at Trump. It is incomprehensible that the security teams set that very tempting sniper's platform outside of their security perimeter and failed to monitor it. I wonder if Biden's security is similarly lax in their preparations.
So now I'm confused. Did security people think this guy was one of them? It kinda makes sense considering how obvious he was to everyone.

Years ago, I was at work and out on a smoke break and saw men in black on every rooftop up and down the street, and on the two streets parallel, because they were tiny blocks and there was almost nothing in my way to seeing the other streets. It was kind of a thrill, actually. I don't often see the whole of downtown covered in federal snipers. We thought, is the President coming through or something? Turned out he was. I think it was W, if I recall.

Back
Top Bottom