• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump just fired James Comey

Check this out:

The picture that Mr. Trump has managed to create so far consists of the following:

The admission that he sought repeated assurances about his legal exposure in an ongoing criminal investigation

The pursuit of those reassurances at a time when he was quite actively holding open the possibility that Mr. Comey might not hold onto his job. (Apparently one of these conversations took place over dinner—as it was being served, was the President making it clear that Mr. Comey might have “to sing for his supper”?)

The admission that in firing Mr. Comey, he was moved decisively by his frustration over the FBI's handling of the Russia probe investigation.

The President's repeated very public statements, heard by all, including those charged with investigating the matter, that he views the Russia probe as having no merit. Responsible for the faithful execution of the laws and the integrity of the system of justice, Mr. Trump has chosen to actively dispute the basis for an ongoing FBI investigation that affects his interests.

The repeated adjustments to the story the White House originally told about the circumstances surrounding the decision to dismiss Mr. Comey. As noted in the earlier posting, it is not advantageous to somebody under suspicion to be altering his story—or, in this case, changing it in every material detail.

https://lawfareblog.com/when-questi...ions-law-part-ii-presidents-threatening-tweet

The admission that he sought repeated assurances about his legal exposure in an ongoing criminal investigation
Does that sound to anyone else like an SNL skit?

The Donald gets into an elevator in Trump Tower, with a cast on his arm, and a cop gets on the elevator with him. "Am i under investigation?"
"What? No, no, I'm here to take someone's statement about a mugging last week."
"Oh. So, I'm not under investigation for insurance fraud?"
"Not that I'm aware of, sir."
"Because this really is a real cast, put on by a real doctor."
"I'm sure it is, sir."
"It's not fraud or anything."
"I believe you, sir."
"Good. So, I'm not under any sort of suspicion?"
"No."
Doors open, trump gets off the elevator. Cop whips out his phone. "Hey, Tommy? I have a lead for your insurance fraud task force..."

Sessions' part in Comey firing may violate ethics rules

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. John Conyers today raised “grave concerns” that Attorney General Jeff Sessions' involvement in FBI Director James Comey’s firing violated a promise to recuse himself from investigations related to the presidential campaign.
I like how it "may violate ethics rules". May? How can it be "may"? First off, it is "could" not "may". Second, in what universe are we supposed to believe the Administration who can't themselves keep their own story straight about the firing. The Assistant Attorney General nearly quite after it was laid at his feet!

Sounds sensible. So if anything came up, he would have a record of what is discussed.

I get the sense that he uses this more for threatening purposes. Even the guy's own lawyers would meet with him in pairs because his memory was so selective. Recording someone else allows you to only use the recording to support your version of events if you wish to, if the recording doesn't do that, you simply never produce it as evidence. Also, in many states, both parties must be aware of being recorded for it to have value as evidence in a trial.

Sounds sensible. So if anything came up, he would have a record of what is discussed.

I get the sense that he uses this more for threatening purposes. Even the guy's own lawyers would meet with him in pairs because his memory was so selective. Recording someone else allows you to only use the recording to support your version of events if you wish to, if the recording doesn't do that, you simply never produce it as evidence. Also, in many states, both parties must be aware of being recorded for it to have value as evidence in a trial.

If he is recording anything as President of the United States, it is required to be public record.

For those who have known about Donald Trump for decades, these threats are nothing new.

And just because Trump makes a threat that does not mean there is anything behind it.

For those who have known about Donald Trump for decades, these threats are nothing new.

And just because Trump makes a threat that does not mean there is anything behind it.
It can be considering tampering with a witness. Comey is supposed to testify to Congress.

- - - Updated - - -

If he is recording anything as President of the United States, it is required to be public record.
It seems to be lost on him that he is running the Government, which is a civil service.

In either case our President should be above such childish bullshit.

You have about a third of the US that believed Obama was a secret Muslim set to destroy their good Christian way of life.

They see bigotry and exclusion based on imaginary fears a Constitutional right.

A nation gets the presidents it deserves.

In either case our President should be above such childish bullshit.

You have about a third of the US that believed Obama was a secret Muslim set to destroy their good Christian way of life.

Sometimes they get better than they deserve. But seriously, no one deserves Trump. [emoji2]

This is the best summation I have seen regarding El Cheato:

He is insecure, paranoid and brittle, jostling between egomania and narcissism, intoxicated with a power beyond his meager comprehension and indulging in it beyond the point of abuse.

Charles Blow - NYT

The man is unstable, and has the nuclear codes. It is frightening times ahead unless the repubs get some balls and ovaries and goes after this blob of insanity.

Sometimes they get better than they deserve. But seriously, no one deserves Trump. [emoji2]

Are you kidding?

Trump is exactly what current US "culture" deserves.

According to Rassmussen who have their thumb on the scale for Republicans, about only 28% of the nation strongly supports Trump. That number maxed out at about 45% for a very short stint, and has been consistently dropping since it popped very very early in his Presidency.

Those strongly disapproving Trump is 46 or 47%. And that number is creeping up. That eclipses 50% for a while, and the Republicans will begin to sweat.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding?

You need to remember, the US culture voted in aggregate to support Clinton being President, not Trump.

Are you kidding?

You need to remember, the US culture voted in aggregate to support Clinton being President, not Trump.

The fact that Trump was even there has everything to do with the current state of US "culture".

A culture of style over substance where actually understanding something is held against you by the mass of the blissfully ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom