• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump just won

The problem with your statement is it comes from a place of presumed superiority. One would think that the election results would have taught us all the price of arrogance by now...

I do feel that the positions I hold are superior to competing positions. That's why they're the positions I hold. That's why everybody's positions are the positions they hold - there's not a second reason to hold a position on a matter.

I think that the American people made a really dumb mistake yesterday that's going to harm the majority of them and I think that stupidity and ignorance were two of the major reasons why they made that mistake. They got conned by a man who's not actually going to help them. While there's no choice except to accept the results, there's also no reason to pretend that it's somehow a positive result.

We're not talking about positions though, we're talking about people. It's one thing to say that their positions are wrong, it's another matter entirely to say that they hold those positions because they're just stupid and ignorant and 'don't know no better.'

They find it infuriating when the plebs don't vote they way they want them to vote. Delicious.

Of course. If you honestly think that somebody is voting against their own interest and making a choice that will damage not only themselves but a large number of other people, what would be a reason to not be infuriated by that?

Not only infuriated, bewildered too. Lovely.

They do not believe that Donald Trump's policies will help Donald Trump's supporters and they feel that these supporters have made a serious mistake which will have a lasting negative impact on their wellbeing. It's not a case of "Dammit, I lost. That is so frustrating". It's a case of "This is a serious error which is going to cause a lot of damage to the majority of the people in my country". They're not eating crow, they're thinking that they've been handed a large bag of shit.

Yes, these dumb fuckers shouldn't be allowed to vote. Am I right ?

Of course. If you honestly think that somebody is voting against their own interest and making a choice that will damage not only themselves but a large number of other people, what would be a reason to not be infuriated by that?

They do not believe that Donald Trump's policies will help Donald Trump's supporters and they feel that these supporters have made a serious mistake which will have a lasting negative impact on their wellbeing. It's not a case of "Dammit, I lost. That is so frustrating". It's a case of "This is a serious error which is going to cause a lot of damage to the majority of the people in my country". They're not eating crow, they're thinking that they've been handed a large bag of shit.

How is it possible for you to miss a point that badly? :confused:

I can't see much changing between the USA and Mexico except that the new administration will focus on illegal immigration which is blamed (correctly in many cases) for queue jumping.

The new government is likely to increase the debt at the pace of the previous one.

Last edited:
They got conned by a man who's not actually going to help them.

They don't think Trump's going to make their lives better. They just want him to make the lives of the people they hate worse.

They got conned by a man who's not actually going to help them.

They don't think Trump's going to make their lives better. They just want him to make the lives of the people they hate worse.

No, they think that he's going to make their lives better and create more jobs, give them better opportunities and all the rest of the stuff that he's not going to do.

No, they think that he's going to make their lives better and create more jobs, give them better opportunities and all the rest of the stuff that he's not going to do.

The answer is both.

Americans have been getting dumber for a long time. "Spoiled stupid" I like to say. But not all americans obviously.

Presidential elections are like superbowls, they come and they go. So long as I'm free to vote that's the victory. That's what elections are all about, a reaffirmation of that basic freedom, no matter who wins, something the Chinaman can only dream about.

I think it's all damn fascinating watching it happen. Maybe this is what the Athenians experienced after their democratic golden age fell apart.

In any case the majority has spoken and on we go.

Oh whatever. Every time people disagree with the election results, it's because "The people are just getting dumber and more ignorant."

Not at all. The mass of people have always been dumb and ignorant.

The problem is that the dumb and ignorant people are being given more and more say. It has become once again fashionable to elevate democracy over expertise, and even over competence.

Thus does democracy lead to tyranny.

"Those who do not learn from history", and all that.

Oh whatever. Every time people disagree with the election results, it's because "The people are just getting dumber and more ignorant."

The problem is that the dumb and ignorant people are being given more and more say. It has become once again fashionable to elevate democracy over expertise, and even over competence.

Yeah...That's kind of the point...Since the US isn't a meritocracy or Oligarchy.

It's more than a little unfair to suggest Trump won because people are dumb and ignorant. Most importantly it serves as a means for HRC to have the blame shifted from herself.

Executive privilege. Trump's Supreme Court may have a different interpretation of the scope of it than Clinton's did.

- - - Updated - - -

Americans have been getting dumber for a long time. "Spoiled stupid" I like to say. But not all americans obviously.

Presidential elections are like superbowls, they come and they go. So long as I'm free to vote that's the victory. That's what elections are all about, a reaffirmation of that basic freedom, no matter who wins, something the Chinaman can only dream about.

I think it's all damn fascinating watching it happen. Maybe this is what the Athenians experienced after their democratic golden age fell apart.

In any case the majority has spoken and on we go.

But if they are getting dumber and more ignorant, then that would be reflected in election results such as this.

The problem with your statement is it comes from a place of presumed superiority. One would think that the election results would have taught us all the price of arrogance by now...

There's no arrogance in wanting democracy and to be tempered by competence. Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to make important decisions; and if democracy leads to stupid people making important decisions, then democracy is the wrong way to run things.

Democracy is OK, up to a point. But it is clear that opinions are now being allowed to overrule facts - and that's where democracy must stop.

History clearly shows that people always take things too far. Even good things have limits.

The rule that "A little is good, so more must be better" is deeply wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah...That's kind of the point...Since the US isn't a meritocracy or Oligarchy.

It's more than a little unfair to suggest Trump won because people are dumb and ignorant. Most importantly it serves as a means for HRC to have the blame shifted from herself.

The USA was founded as a republic, not a democracy.

The idea that she is (and should be) a democracy is both recent and dangerous.

You are only wrong insofar as your sarcasm is misplaced.

Letting stupid people decide important things is insane. It shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Your Founding Fathers understood this - the idea of the electoral college is to get together some smart guys who represent the states, and have them pick the best American to be president.

Letting the dumb fucks that are the general population choose instead was exactly the kind of thing they were hoping to avoid. But, as usual, the people eventually grab enough power to override the elites - and when they do, because they are dumb fucks with no clue, they almost always install a dictator.

There's nothing new about any of this. Unchecked democracy invariably leads to tyranny. But a century or two later, all the people who remember are dead, and round we go again.

Letting stupid people decide important things is insane. It shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Your Founding Fathers understood this - the idea of the electoral college is to get together some smart guys who represent the states, and have them pick the best American to be president.

Letting the dumb fucks that are the general population choose instead was exactly the kind of thing they were hoping to avoid. But, as usual, the people eventually grab enough power to override the elites - and when they do, because they are dumb fucks with no clue, they almost always install a dictator.

There's nothing new about any of this. Unchecked democracy invariably leads to tyranny. But a century or two later, all the people who remember are dead, and round we go again.

So you're saying allowing people like bilby to decide important things is insane. You might be right there.

So you're saying allowing people like bilby to decide important things is insane. You might be right there.

Indeed it would be - where those things are outside bilby's area of knowledge and experience.

I see that you subscribe to the quaint notion that everyone's opinion is valuable.

This is very clearly false. I don't want people to ask my opinion on what vaccinations their children should have. I want them to ask immunologists and epidemiologists.

People who don't understand a subject do not have useful opinions on that subject, and their ignorant positions shouldn't be given equal weight with the opinions of people who know what they are on about.

Indeed it would be - where those things are outside bilby's area of knowledge and experience.

I see that you subscribe to the quaint notion that everyone's opinion is valuable.

This is very clearly false. I don't want people to ask my opinion on what vaccinations their children should have. I want them to ask immunologists and epidemiologists.

People who don't understand a subject do not have useful opinions on that subject, and their ignorant positions shouldn't be given equal weight with the opinions of people who know what they are on about.

Like a government bureaucrat making regulations on businesses or interfering in markets? You might be right again. Well done.

Like a government bureaucrat making regulations on businesses or interfering in markets? You might be right again. Well done.

Government bureaucrats are typically highly qualified. Who would you prefer to have making regulations affecting businesses and markets? Self-regulation is no regulation at all. So who is qualified? The people? Ha!

no, it's completely fair, because that's exactly what happened.

you literally need to be suffering chromosomal damage to think that voting for trump is a legitimate idea.
the US just proved that a majority of its voting population has down syndrome.

you literally need to be suffering chromosomal damage to think that voting for trump is a legitimate idea.

LOL.

They really do hate when the plebs don't vote the way they would like. Delicious.

no, it's completely fair, because that's exactly what happened.

Not at all. Gross stupidity is perfectly within the normal rage of human genetics.

But most of the dumb isn't genetic at all. It's environmental. When the majority of people get taught a bunch of shit that's untrue, and are never taught how to think, nor provided with a good education, this is the result.

Most Americans don't 'believe in' evolution. Even more seriously think that evolution is something one might 'believe in' rather than something that they might understand.

If you want to let everyone vote, you have a duty to ensure that they are qualified to make a reasoned choice when doing so. The US education system has abdicated that duty. The results are right there for all to see.

Back
Top Bottom