• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

A New Front for Nationalism: The Global Battle Against a Virus - The New York Times - "Every country needs the same lifesaving tools. But a zero-sum mind-set among world leaders is jeopardizing access for all."
As they battle a pandemic that has no regard for borders, the leaders of many of the world’s largest economies are in the thrall of unabashedly nationalist principles, undermining collective efforts to tame the novel coronavirus.

The United States, an unrivaled scientific power, is led by a president who openly scoffs at international cooperation while pursuing a global trade war. India, which produces staggering amounts of drugs, is ruled by a Hindu nationalist who has ratcheted up confrontation with neighbors. China, a dominant source of protective gear and medicines, is bent on a mission to restore its former imperial glory.

Pro-Biden super PAC's new ad targets Trump’s coronavirus response in battleground states - ABC News
The new 30-second spot from Priorities USA, titled “Front Lines” contrasts statements the president has made at White House press briefings and in Fox News interviews downplaying the need for certain resources amid the pandemic with clips of doctors and nurses sounding the alarm about supply shortages of personal protective equipment, such as masks and ventilators.

“I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators,” Trump says in a clip from a Fox News interview from late March when the president doubted New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s request for more ventilators.

Dr. Colleen Smith, an emergency room doctor in Queens, New York, is then shown saying, “We are right now scrambling to try and get a few additional ventilators,” in a clip from a New York Times report inside the Elmhurst Hospital battling the virus.

Coronavirus government response updates: Fauci calls May 1 'a bit overly optimistic' as Trump prepares to name council on reopening country - ABC News
President Donald Trump has called it both an "opening up the country council" and "a number of committees" but whatever the name, he is poised Tuesday to announce a teleconference-based task force of "the greatest minds" he's said will advise him on how to open up parts of the country as early as May 1, when the current White House social distancing guidelines are set to expire.

He said he hoped to have a decision in "the next few days" and even hoped to reopen the country "ahead of schedule."
He seems very impatient about that.
Dr. Anthony Fauci has suggested that a "rolling reentry" could be possible but cautioned Tuesday that May 1 is "a bit overly optimistic" without widespread testing and contract tracing in place.

ABC News Politics on Twitter: "Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: “This crisis is happening in the context of racial and income inequality ... our lowest income and our blackest and brownest communities are the hardest hit and experiencing the largest amount of casualties due to COVID-19.” [url]https://t.co/WXd4cANJXD https://t.co/3ribO5l2tt" / Twitter[/url]

QuickTake by Bloomberg on Twitter: "“In the richest country in the world we should be able to allow people to bury their loved ones in dignity.”
@AOC is asking FEMA to help pay for funerals in her NYC district, one of the worst hit by #coronavirus https://t.co/IZXSXYkdfs" / Twitter

Trump’s latest coronavirus briefing featured an epic meltdown - Vox - “When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total.”
On the one month anniversary of President Donald Trump proclaiming “I don’t take responsibility at all” for problems with the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the president on Monday melted down on national TV in one of his more memorable scenes during the daily White House coronavirus press briefing. He went on to claim his “authority is total” as president.
When he claimed that, where did all the right-wing Constitution-thumpers run off to?

Trump’s coronavirus video reveals how he mishandled things in February - Vox
A campaign-style video President Donald Trump is promoting in an attempt to rewrite the history of his coronavirus response accidentally reveals the truth — that he didn’t really do much during a crucial period in February and early March when the virus was spreading undetected in America, besides downplaying the threat.

The video, which premiered during Monday’s unhinged White House coronavirus task force briefing and was then posted to Trump’s Twitter account, features a timeline of what the video refers to as the president’s “DECISIVE ACTION” during that period. But the list of Trump’s anti-coronavirus actions is far shorter than it might appear as it ticks by your screen.
Why doesn't he have the decency to resign in shame?

Fox News was just blasting the hypocrites. "The Trump haters are saying, "Trump doesn't have the authority to re-open the economy!" yet the same people say "he should've acted sooner and closed the economy all on his own!"

lol

Do you ever actually address the post you respond to?

I repeat:

No rewriting necessary because the administration didn't share the warnings received with the media and Pelosi. You might have a point if the information was shared with those entities but it wasn't. Trump knew, his staff knew. They blew off the warnings. No amount of blaming others for being wrong will change that. The administration fucked up bigly and many people died and will die because of that.

Respond to that or STFU.

This has been pointed out to him before. Like how he keeps repeating the same bullshit that Democrats want people to die from this virus. You know, despite Republicans wanting the elderly to die for the sake of the economy and all that. The guy can't read, can't quote properly and is completely incapable of arguing in good faith. But the stupidity he spews out in his diatribes is entertaining.

I guess 1/2 life is unable to grasp that there are things Presidents can and can't do. The issue if the long list of things Trump could have done, should have done but failed completely due to ignorance and incompetence.

Take the whole think seriously from the start given that once we knew how much it had spread in China, only a moron wouldn't know it would inevitably come to the US.

Get the CDC to produce or outsource the production of reliable testing kits in the massive quantities needed to actually size the outbreak from the start

Actually communicate what the science says instead of making up bullshit

Get CDC to or outsource development of rapid testing to make pinpointing outbreaks not weeks late

Provide resources for contact tracking

Make sure that tests were actually processed in a timely way.

There were all kinds of things Trump could have done if he wasn't such an anti-science imbecile that would have made it possible to contain the virus before it silently infected so many people that containment was no longer possible and the country had to take drastic mitigation measures

And then there is the clusterfuck created when Trump told the stated to compete and bid up the price of medical supplies while at the same time FEMA confiscating supplies already in shipment to a state

Use his emergency powers to force the production of supplies before shortages started

I'm sure that others could list more things that Trump could and should have done but failed to do, because he's a moron, without overstepping his limited presidential powers.

And no I will not be replying to 1/2 life's inevitable foolish reply as he is on ignore.

Chuck Schumer on Twitter: "I’m standing near Elmhurst Hospital in Queens with @RepAOC
Elmhurst is on the frontlines
The toll here is heartbreaking—with families paying the ultimate price
FEMA must approve our request for help for NY families faced with overwhelming funeral/burial costs they can't afford https://t.co/9UsVXlo41l" / Twitter

AOC and Schumer blasted for 'photo op' in top coronavirus ZIP code
A small group gathered in the virally blighted neighborhood of Corona, Queens, in AOC’s district, to hear a pitch for the Federal Emergency Management Agency to offer funeral assistance.
Schumer and Ocasio-Cortez push for FEMA to provide funeral assistance to New York - CNNPolitics
"So many people with this crisis who don't have money don't have the ability to give a proper funeral and burial to their loved ones who have passed away from this evil illness," Schumer said. "That is outrageous."

"It's bad enough people are losing their jobs, and don't have food to eat, are separated from their families and loved ones," added Schumer. "But to not be able to give a decent funeral and burial to someone who is near and dear to you is outrageous."

Ocasio-Cortez, who represents parts of Queens and the Bronx, said that an average funeral in New York can cost over $11,000. She said coronavirus is "decimating an already vulnerable community."

"The least we can do is help families bury their loved ones in the most impacted communities in America," she added. "It is the very least we can do. It is the very core, basic measure of human dignity. And in the richest country in the world, we should be able to allow people to bury their loved ones in dignity."
Schumer, Ocasio-Cortez demand federal funds for funeral, burial costs in New York | TheHill
The New York Democrats wrote a letter to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Administrator Pete Gaynor on Tuesday asking him to approve a request to activate the Individuals and Households Program (IHP), which would grant access to the Disaster Funeral Assistance program.

The funds would help New Yorkers cover expenses for caskets, mortuary services, death certificates and cremation or interment, the Democrats said.

“As the tragic number of deaths from COVID-19 continues to rise in New York, individuals who are facing incredible loss are also being saddled with an additional financial burden,” Ocasio-Cortez and Schumer wrote, adding that it comes at a time of record unemployment.

And so New York deserves special consideration from FEMA in granting additional categories of Individual Assistance, like the Individuals and Households Program,” they added.

The letter itself:
Microsoft Word - 04142020 - Individual Assistance for New York - 04142020 - Individual Assistance for New York.pdf

The Washington Post: In unprecedented move, Treasury orders Trump’s name printed on stimulus checks

And if that wasn't bad enough,

The decision to have the paper checks bear Trump’s name, in the works for weeks, according to a Treasury official, was announced early Tuesday to the IRS’s information technology team. The team, working from home, is now racing to implement a programming change that two senior IRS officials said will probably lead to a delay in issuing the first batch of paper checks. They are scheduled to be sent Thursday to the Bureau of the Fiscal Service for printing and issuing.

Computer code must be changed to include the president’s name, and the system must be tested, these officials said. “Any last minute request like this will create a downstream snarl that will result in a delay,” said Chad Hooper, a quality-control manager who serves as national president of the IRS’s Professional Managers Association.

Kamala Harris on Twitter: ".@AOC is right. FEMA provides Disaster Funeral Assistance for natural disasters—but not pandemics. There's no reason for this.
Last month, I introduced a bill to fix that. https://t.co/GvnHLxOgxL" / Twitter

AJ+ on Twitter: ""In the richest country in the world, we should be able to allow people to bury their loved ones in dignity."
@AOC is calling on the federal govt to provide funding for funeral and burial assistance for struggling families across the state of New York. ⁣ https://t.co/TdCDVT6wCu" / Twitter

Coronavirus economy plans are clear: No return to normal in 2020 - Vox - "There is no plan to return to normal."
I thought, perhaps naively, that reading them would be a comfort — at least then I’d be able to imagine the path back to normal. But it wasn’t. In different ways, all these plans say the same thing: Even if you can imagine the herculean political, social, and economic changes necessary to manage our way through this crisis effectively, there is no normal for the foreseeable future. Until there’s a vaccine, the United States either needs economically ruinous levels of social distancing, a digital surveillance state of shocking size and scope, or a mass testing apparatus of even more shocking size and intrusiveness.

How coronavirus could change your office space - Vox - "The pandemic already pushed millions to work from home. Many of them will likely go back to a very different office."
If and when you return to your office after the novel coronavirus pandemic, you’ll probably notice some differences.

Upon entering your building, the doors may open automatically so you don’t have to touch the handles. Before you board your elevator, you might tell the elevator where you’d like to go, rather than pressing the many buttons within the elevator. When you reach your floor, you could walk into a room full of dividers and well-spaced desks instead of the crowded open floor plan you’re used to. In common areas like meeting rooms and kitchens, expect to see fewer chairs and posted documentation of the last time they were cleaned.

These are just the changes you can see. Less noticeable in the post-coronavirus office would be more frequent cleaning policies, antimicrobial properties woven into fabrics and materials, amped-up ventilation systems, or even the addition of UV lights for more deeply disinfecting the office at night.
If one has a job and one will be working in the office. Many people will be working from home, a trand accelerated by the COVID-19 lockdown.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom outlines plan to reopen in conjunction with West Coast states - CNNPolitics
California Gov. Gavin Newsom outlined a framework for reopening the economy in the Golden State Tuesday, warning in a gentle rebuke to President Donald Trump that the state's coronavirus protocols would be guided by "science and public health, not politics" and telling residents that they will enter a radically different environment in their daily interactions.

"There is no light switch here, it's more like a dimmer," Newsom said. "I know you want the timeline, but we can't get ahead of ourselves and dream of regretting. Let's not make the mistake of pulling the plug too early, as much as we want to."

"I don't want to make a political decision that puts people's lives at risk and puts the economy at even more risk by extending the period of time before we can ultimately transition and get people moving again."

He said the state would use real time data, science and examples on a daily basis as the loosening of orders go forward "to toggle that dimmer, so we get exactly the appropriate lighting, so that we can ultimately transition to herd immunity and that vaccine."

Newsom said it was an optimistic new phase where the state will move from its surge response, transitioning "into suppression, ultimately on our way to herd immunity, and ultimately to a vaccine."

"We are not out of the woods yet, we are not spiking the ball," Newsom said. "But we also extend a recognition in that light that this can't be a permanent state, and I want you to know, it's not -- it will not be a permanent state."
While Northeast states form pact, Maryland coordinating coronavirus response with Virginia and Washington, D.C. - Baltimore Sun - commendable regional cooperation

So we have three blocs so far:
  • WA, OR, CA
  • MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE
  • MD, DC, VA

Donald J. Trump's name will be on stimulus checks in unprecedented move - The Washington Post
The Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that could slow their delivery by a few days, senior IRS officials said.

The unprecedented decision, finalized late Monday, means that when recipients open the $1,200 paper checks the IRS is scheduled to begin sending to 70 million Americans in coming days, “President Donald J. Trump” will appear on the left side of the payment.
The first time ever a President's name has appeared on such checks. What megalomania.

Schumer: Trump thinks coronavirus crisis 'revolves around him' | TheHill
Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) knocked President Trump's efforts amid the coronavirus crisis late Tuesday, asserting the president is focused on daily fights with his perceived political enemies instead of resolving key issues like ramping up testing.

Asked about a Washington Post report that some coronavirus checks will be delayed because the Treasury Department ordered that Trump's name should be added, Schumer said during an appearance on MSNBC that he wished "it were the only ego trip" by the president.

"I wish it were the only ego trip. It seems almost every day the president thinks this crisis resolves around him, and his desires, his needs, his enemies," Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow.
He doesn't seem to have learned a thing. He has not become more humble or less greedy or more generous or more forgiving.

Donald J. Trump's name will be on stimulus checks in unprecedented move - The Washington Post
The Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name be printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that could slow their delivery by a few days, senior IRS officials said.

The unprecedented decision, finalized late Monday, means that when recipients open the $1,200 paper checks the IRS is scheduled to begin sending to 70 million Americans in coming days, “President Donald J. Trump” will appear on the left side of the payment.
The first time ever a President's name has appeared on such checks. What megalomania.

That's only fair if he pays from his private coffers.

He is a billionaire, right?

That’s okay. I and tens of millions get direct deposits. ;)

Not okay for me and tens of millions of others. I have the pleasure of paying the IRS every tax season, so I don't have direct deposit info on file. I don't want his fucking name on my check, especially if sating his narcissism in this manner is going to cause a delay for people who really need it, like the elderly. I don't actually really need it, I am still working and getting paid, but I do have to take a one week furlough at the beginning of May, and the original time line would have meant that I would have been receiving the check right around that time, filling the gap rather nicely.

That’s okay. I and tens of millions get direct deposits. ;)

I just got mine.

Checking Account said:
ACH Transaction - VOTE TRUMP 310 TAX REF View attachment 27085

Holy shit! The Fuckhead in Chief is actually making the direct deposits into campaign ads as well. WTF!? I wish I could say I can't believe this, but unfortunately that is exactly the kind of bullshit I expect from such a terrible human being.

That's only fair if he pays from his private coffers.

He is a billionaire, right?

He has certainly been acting as if the Treasury is part of his private coffers for the last 3 years, why stop now?

I just got mine.

Holy shit! The Fuckhead in Chief is actually making the direct deposits into campaign ads as well. WTF!? I wish I could say I can't believe this, but unfortunately that is exactly the kind of bullshit I expect from such a terrible human being.
I haven't gotten ours yet, so I don't know if TV and credit cards was being serious. With Trump's Law, it is impossible to tell. I assumed it was a joke. It has to be a joke, but Trump's Law states, it can be straight up Trump fuckery.

Back
Top Bottom