• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

The “deviant behavior” was obviously a bit of flourishing on my part but not much.
So, you said something you knew to be untrue.

You can call it "flourishing" if it makes you feel less of a turd to do so, but everyone knows what it really means when somebody makes claims they know to be untrue.

You could apologise, if you were an honourable person. But my bet is that you won't.

Which states’ kids are surrounded by “constant heterosexual propaganda”? In what form does this “propaganda” manifest?
Sex and gender are seldom differentiated at all in elementary education, and though romance is often treated as a subject of English studies, it is inevitably heterosexual romance.
I didn't read "heterosexual propaganda" to be about school curriculums, but television, movies, music, and other media that surrounds us all. And obviously it's not restricted to any particular state or region.

Sex and gender are seldom differentiated at all in elementary education, and though romance is often treated as a subject of English studies, it is inevitably heterosexual romance.

Romeo and Juliet is “heterosexual propaganda”?
Depends on how it is presented, I should think.

Musk embodies “Fake it till you make it”:

Musk, who hours earlier said he would keep control of Twitter’s software systems even though he plans to relinquish the CEO role, said the company’s code needed a complete rewrite. One of the participants asked what he meant — pushing for him to explain it from top to bottom.

“Amazing, wow,” Musk said after hesitations and pauses. “You’re a jackass. … What a moron.”

Well, yes. The states where kids are surrounded with constant heterosexual propaganda, but are not allowed to access sex education of any kind, have very high rates of teen pregnancy. Fancy that.
What were the teen pregnancy rates before sex education in schools? Just kinda silly to think you need school to teach about that.

I have no idea where you grew up, but there's always been sex ed in schools. The difference is that now it's more than youngsters telling each other garbled versions of what they think they heard. Like "You won't get pregnant if you do it standing up."
Tom
Yup. A simple example of the problem:

At the university I took a class "Marriage and Family Living" to meet a sociology requirement. It was actually a very interesting class in how to make a marriage work. It was a 200-level class and thus anyone in there basically had to be at least close to 19 (and IIRC it had an 18+ requirement.) One class period was devoted to contraception. I was annoyed about that, why are we wasting time on something people should already know? Nope--the lecture hall was normally about half full, that day it was completely full, crowds several layers deep around every doorway and they kept shooing out people from doing thing like standing in front of fire doors. There's no way there were that many people in class, it had to be a bunch of people who had been told what the topic was going to be.

Well, yes. The states where kids are surrounded with constant heterosexual propaganda, but are not allowed to access sex education of any kind, have very high rates of teen pregnancy. Fancy that.
What were the teen pregnancy rates before sex education in schools? Just kinda silly to think you need school to teach about that.

Wait, you believe sex ed causes teen pregnancy???

What were the teen pregnancy rates before sex education in schools? Just kinda silly to think you need school to teach about that
This really isn't that hard to find;

That sort of "reasoning" seems common in the right wing. I remember right-wingers calling Barack Obama the food-stamp president.

Sort of like believing that getting rid of umbrellas will end rainstorms and that getting rid of hospitals will end sickness.

That sort of "reasoning" seems common in the right wing. I remember right-wingers calling Barack Obama the food-stamp president.

Sort of like believing that getting rid of umbrellas will end rainstorms and that getting rid of hospitals will end sickness.
Or stopping testing was going to stop the spread of Covid.

What were the teen pregnancy rates before sex education in schools? Just kinda silly to think you need school to teach about that
This really isn't that hard to find;

Not to mention how Texas, that uses abstinence only as the way to combat teen pregnancy manages to lead the country in Repeat teen pregancy

Texas, that uses abstinence only as the way to combat teen pregnancy manages to lead the country in Repeat teen pregancy
Don’t expect Ollie to respond to these facts. Ignorance is bliss, and careful cultivation is key.

Alissa Walker on Twitter: "This is a story ..." / Twitter - 2022 Aug 10
This is a story about Elon Musk's now-successful attempt to steer U.S. cities away from proven transportation solutions — but it's also a story about the desperation of elected officials who will try anything to fix their city's problems.

Musk's promise was never *one* tunnel. His promise was *infinite* tunnels.

From 2018: “No matter how much demand there is, you can satisfy it with a network of 3D tunnels. If you have 20, 30, 40 tunnels, eventually you run out of people to use them”.

Of course, Musk conveniently doesn't believe in induced demand.

But you don't have to believe in that concept to understand why "infinite tunnels" won't work. The best explanation I've read is from @MichaelManvill6's 2021 paper on congestion pricing.

Congestion pricing is hard! High speed rail is hard! Which is why we saw elected officials falling over themselves to associate with Musk's holes *and* his promise to pay up to $1 billion per project to "end traffic".

In 2018 I saw Musk tell a room of hundreds of city officials they shouldn't build rail anymore. The mayor of LA, who was onstage with him, didn't even push back!

This was a clear and concerted effort, says @parismarx (read their new book on this topic!)

Musk not only pays, he assumes all the risk, former LA Metro exec @joshuaschank, told me. So the Boring Company submits free or low bids for transportation projects, then raises money from investors convinced the tunneling technology is cheaper and faster (sound familiar?)

Which brings us to the Boring Company's new strategy: Going to city officials directly and telling them to casually suggest tunnels as solutions to their problems.

After this email to the Kyle, Texas city manager, a tunnel was approved nine months later.

Those city officials come to Vegas, see the tunnels under the convention center, and return home convinced they've seen the future of transportation. Fort Lauderdale just gave the Boring Company $375,000 for a study to tunnel under an intracoastal waterway.

Watch Mayor Dean Trantalis get defensive when a local tunneling expert pokes holes in the proposal, saying $10 million per mile is too low to tunnel under saltwater. Trantalis claimed he rode in Vegas tunnels that were "all underwater" (??) and go to the airport (they don't!).

The answer came not from the Boring Company, but from the city of Vegas's infrastructure director, who said he'd been working closely with the Boring Company. And guess what he said?

Don't worry, if the tunnels get congested, the Boring Company can just add more tunnels 🤦🏼‍♀️

And yes, you may have noticed the name of the item before the city council: "Agreement between the city of Las Vegas and The Boring Company to install and operate a monorail".

The way the tunnels are classified by Nevada state law, Elon Musk is now officially building a monorail.
noting

Which got this response:
Meghan Sahli-Wells on Twitter: "@awalkerinLA That’s the rot they tried to sell the #CulverCity Council on. When I brought up induced demand with their team in 2018:
1. Sounded like they had never heard the term.
2. “Not a problem. There’s infinite space under ground!” (pic link)" / Twitter

Showing a Boring Company Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM).

When I learned of The Boring Company, I could find no claims of what the company would be doing differently to make tunneling more efficient.

It's unlike SpaceX, which actually built rocket first stages that could return and be refurbished.

Alissa Walker on Twitter: "The fact that ..." / Twitter
The fact that the head of the Boring Company was brought in to “cut costs” for Twitter and ended up eliminating critical safety operations should be sounding alarms for city officials who hired this person to build underground transportation infrastructure.

You may wonder how this person even has time to work at Twitter when he's so busy supervising the $50 million Tesla valet system he built under the Las Vegas convention center.

I'm sure the 29 miles of car tunnels in the Las Vegas area that are being fully funded, built, and operated by a company run by someone advising Elon Musk to not pay vendors or comply with federal regulations will be totally fine! Nothing to worry about.

As @NoelKing and I discussed on @today_explained earlier this month, a key part of the Boring Company's strategy is significantly underbidding projects and getting developers to pay for the stations so we don't know the true costs of anything they do 🙃

It's true that the Boring Company (which got $675 million in funding this year and is valued at *$5.7 billion*) has bailed on many cities but continues to sell tunnels to other cities like Fort Lauderdale which just gave them $375,000 in public money.

You might not hear as much about their new clients due to their new approach. When Kyle, TX paid the Boring Company $50,000 for this project, officials had to sign an NDA (the project was eventually canceled) .

For people saying new cities aren't signing up for Elon's car holes: Here's Louisville, KY one month ago!

I think promising city officials they can "end traffic" is just too tantalizing, and the Boring Company knows it .

Paris Marx has written a book about Silicon Valley techbros' transport solutions: Road to Nowhere
Silicon Valley wants us to believe that technology will revolutionise our cities and the ways we move around. Autonomous vehicles will make us safer, greener, and more efficient. On-demand services like Uber and Lyft will eliminate car ownership. Micromobility devices like electric scooters will be at every corner, and drones will deliver goods and services. Meanwhile visionaries like Elon Musk promise to eliminate congestion with tunnels, and Uber says it will help with flying cars. The future of transport is frictionless, sustainable, and, according to Paris Marx, a threat to our ideas of what a society should be.
Also Road to Nowhere
What Silicon Valley Gets Wrong about the Future of Transportation
by Paris Marx

Road to Nowhere exposes the flaws in Silicon Valley’s vision of the future: ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft to take us anywhere; electric cars to make them ‘green’; and automation to ensure transport is cheap and ubiquitous. Such promises are implausible and potentially dangerous.

In response, Marx offers a vision for a more collective way of organizing transportation systems that considers the needs of poor, marginalized, and vulnerable people.
Of course he does, LMAO!

Twitter under Musk in a nutshell...

Elon Musk: "Okay, I'm going to bring in my own kitchen sink from now on. Everyone else, bring in your own toilet paper."

Employees: "wtf, he's an idiot."

Reich-wingers: "So you want collective ownership of toilet paper? You damn Marxists!111"

Back
Top Bottom