• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Elon Musk has been pitching xAI’s “Grok” as a funny, vulgar alternative to traditional AI that can do things like converse casually and swear at you. Now, Grok has been launched as a benefit to Twitter’s (now X’s) expensive X Premium Plus subscription tier, where those who are the most devoted to the site, and in turn, usually devoted to Elon, are able to use Grok to their heart’s content.

But while Grok can make dumb jokes and insert swears into its answers, in an attempt to find out whether or not Grok is a “politically neutral” AI, unlike “WokeGPT” (ChatGPT), Musk and his conservative followers have discovered a horrible truth.

Grok is woke, too.

This has played out in a number of extremely funny situations online where Grok has answered queries about various social and political issues in ways more closely aligned with progressivism. Grok has said it would vote for Biden over Trump because of his views on social justice, climate change and healthcare. Grok has spoken eloquently about the need for diversity and inclusion in society. And Grok stated explicitly that trans women are women, which led to an absurd exchange where Musk acolyte Ian Miles Cheong tells a user to “train” Grok to say the “right” answer, ultimately leading him to change the input to just…manually tell Grok to say no.

:hysterical:
There's something about this that reminds me of IRC bots 30 years ago.

Just like Tesla iS jUSt a CaR cOmpAnY! X is jUSt a sOciAL mEdiA cOmPAnY! Once all the smoke clears the inflated value of both will silently pop like a snot bubble.

Kinda reminds me of an old joke, probably about Slick Willy Clinton.

"Would you buy a car from this guy?"

So, what's up bruh. Would you buy a car from this guy?
Tom

I've noticed you've been repeatedly targeting both my car choice and my skin color in your replies to me. So, what's up bruh?

"After being on this platform for nearly 10 years, we have made the decision to leave Twitter/X," the @TeamVickiSoto account posted in a statement Tuesday. "The recent uptick in harassment goes back to the early days on Twitter when we had to fight conspiracy theorists."

Just like Tesla iS jUSt a CaR cOmpAnY! X is jUSt a sOciAL mEdiA cOmPAnY! Once all the smoke clears the inflated value of both will silently pop like a snot bubble.

Tom

I've noticed you've been repeatedly targeting both my car choice and my skin color in your replies to me. So, what's up bruh?
You're so nearly perfect that it's hard to find things to rib you about.
Tom

The funny thing about "Grok" is that it is a Martian word (Coined by Heinlein in Stranger in a Strange Land) for "understanding" that was adopted by hippies in the 60s for what we now would call "woke".

These boomers are still resentful about not having any fun in the 60s.

Tom

You're so nearly perfect that it's hard to find things to rib you about.
Tom

Every opinion, including mine, which I've shared numerous times on this forum, has its flaws. You have plenty of material to "rib" me for. It just seems your responses often deviate towards irrelevant criticisms of my car choice and my race. Initially, I found this amusing (still do), but at a point it becomes reasonable to question the underlying intent.

Back on topic, companies like X and Tesla IMO are overvalued in their respective fields. History has shown with examples like MySpace and Studebaker, X & Tesla can fade into obscurity once surpassed by superior alternatives.

Tesla's position at the forefront of EV manufacturing isn't necessarily due to their vehicle quality. Their success is largely driven by factors like lower maintenance requirements, faster 0 to 60 than most production sedans and SUVs, global shift towards addressing climate change, and the increasing adoption of renewable energy, which aligns well with the efficiency of EVs over ICE vehicles. These aspects currently safeguard Tesla’s market position. As for X, it's experiencing a decline in user engagement. A significant shift in the digital landscape, like, I don't know Web 3.0, Is destined to destroy social media as we know it today anyway.

Edit: BTW TomC, my apologies for misunderstanding your "rib".

Back on topic, companies like X and Tesla IMO are overvalued in their respective fields. History has shown with examples like MySpace and Studebaker, X & Tesla can fade into obscurity once surpassed by superior alternatives.
Yup, people go cuckoo for the companies making the latest stuff whether or not the financials are sound.

Tesla's position at the forefront of EV manufacturing isn't necessarily due to their vehicle quality. Their success is largely driven by factors like lower maintenance requirements, faster 0 to 60 than most production sedans and SUVs, global shift towards addressing climate change, and the increasing adoption of renewable energy, which aligns well with the efficiency of EVs over ICE vehicles. These aspects currently safeguard Tesla’s market position. As for X, it's experiencing a decline in user engagement. A significant shift in the digital landscape, like, I don't know Web 3.0, Is destined to destroy social media as we know it today anyway.
And one of the big rental companies is ditching their Teslas because of higher than expected costs.

Has anyone linked to this interesting view of Musk by John Oliver?

"Elon Musk" isn't in this thread title, but it seems to be the latest thread for discussing Mr. Musk.
I see there are SEVEN other threads with "Elon Musk" in the title.

Truth!

Now that they're doing a similar thing to my own generation, I have some guarded sympathy for boomers vis-a-vis the selective valorization of counter-culture over prevailing culture in remembering the past. But that sympathy runs out of oomph faster than a Tesla battery in the Basin and Range when people choose use old resentments as a guide to policy. It's funny to me that for once, an actually good part of Heinlein's ouvre is being referenced instead of the braindead libertarian tendencies that people often choose to highlight, but in a way that strongly suggests he has no idea what the word actually means. Has Elon ever had a water brother in his life? It feels more likely that all of his water has always come and still comes from an individualized plastic water bottle, that someone else sensibly recycles for him when he's done.

I should ask Oberon Zell-Ravneheart what he's making of this Grok business next time I see him. Now there's a man who understands the 60s. The good, the bad, all of it.

"Elon Musk" isn't in this thread title, but it seems to be the latest thread for discussing Mr. Musk.
Yes it is; Right there in black and white:

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

There ain't but one idiot who offered $43 billion for Twitter; Sure, it's a nickname, but it can only refer to one guy. ;)

There ain't but one idiot who offered $43 billion for Twitter

The thread title needed an apostrophe for clarity. Without, it could refer to a consortium of idiots, (“idiots’ offer”) or Elon Musk (“idiot’s offer”).

Poor Elon.

The reality is, Last Week Tonight doesn't often take on woke topics. Unless you consider Housing Associations or corporate influencers to be woke. Elon is evidence of why celebrities or the upper-echelon should just be quiet and let the achievements they are credited with, speak for them. Tesla, SpaceX have achieved an unspeakably huge amount, even though the Mars pie in the sky idea is really stupid... and his Boring Company too... and his battery storage stuff is maddening. He took a fortune and funded a couple empires with it. But Musk is just such a sociopathic jerk. He acts like a troll, making it very hard to appreciate what he has managed to do!

I admit to being very confused about this sentence.

**ALL** of the people who had fun in the 1960s were Boomers.

Was this intended to mean that some boomers were straightlaced and they are the ones who resent missing the fun? Or are we saying all the people having fun were 30-somethings and hence Silent Generation people?

Sorry to be obtuse, I just didn’t understand..

Poor Elon.

The reality is, Last Week Tonight doesn't often take on woke topics. Unless you consider Housing Associations or corporate influencers to be woke. Elon is evidence of why celebrities or the upper-echelon should just be quiet and let the achievements they are credited with, speak for them. Tesla, SpaceX have achieved an unspeakably huge amount, even though the Mars pie in the sky idea is really stupid... and his Boring Company too... and his battery storage stuff is maddening. He took a fortune and funded a couple empires with it. But Musk is just such a sociopathic jerk. He acts like a troll, making it very hard to appreciate what he has managed to do!
Its kind of unfortunate, in a way, that Edison never failed in any of his inventions or business ventures. He left such a high bar for future inventors and entrepueners. I heard he could be kind of a jerk at times, too.

Was this intended to mean that some boomers were straight-laced and they are the ones who resent missing the fun? Or are we saying all the people having fun were 30-somethings and hence Silent Generation people?

All the crazy hippy culture that we see from the 1960s was only a small fraction of society, the media made it seem a LOT bigger than it was. The VAST majority of youth and adults at the time were way more straight-laced.

Sure the silent generation was freaked out too but they are mostly irrelevant. It is the boomers who missed out and who are promoting all these "moral" restrictions on society.

Was this intended to mean that some boomers were straight-laced and they are the ones who resent missing the fun? Or are we saying all the people having fun were 30-somethings and hence Silent Generation people?

All the crazy hippy culture that we see from the 1960s was only a small fraction of society, the media made it seem a LOT bigger than it was. The VAST majority of youth and adults at the time were way more straight-laced.

Sure the silent generation was freaked out too but they are mostly irrelevant. It is the boomers who missed out and who are promoting all these "moral" restrictions on society.
I thought it was busy body fascists who want to control people's lives.

The First Lady suggests eating fruit for dessert... and these same people are ready to march on DC with flaming hostess snack cakes. This seems to have little to do with anything but good ole fashioned populist fascism.

Was this intended to mean that some boomers were straightlaced and they are the ones who resent missing the fun? Or are we saying all the people having fun were 30-somethings and hence Silent Generation people?

Most people in the sixties were not hippies, astronauts, or social activists, but those are the only parts of the sixties anyone wants to remember, and folks as were there can get stereotypically snippy about it.

Has anyone linked to this interesting view of Musk by John Oliver?

Elon appears to be taking it well.

"basically illegal": adj. A condition in which an activity is not in any way illegal, but you're disproportionately afraid of the mild social censure you might face if you do it in public.

Back
Top Bottom