• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

UK No-Confidence Vote Fails, but Johnson get's ~4/7 of vote.

Threads like this are a reminder of why I should never run for president. I'm so far removed from the goings-on internationally that I'd be of no use to the world. Like every US executive branch after John F Kennedy.
You would do better I dare say than some the last few US presidents.

Boris probably remembers the fate of his great-grandfather

However badly Boris Johnson’s career ends, it will surely be a better finale than that of his great-grandfather, the Turkish journalist, editor and liberal politician Ali Kemal. Almost exactly a century ago, following the trauma of defeat and the end of the Ottoman Empire, Kemal was attacked by a mob of soldiers, hanged from a tree, his head smashed in with cudgels before being beaten to death. I can’t imagine that the Tory backbenchers will go that far.

He might be lucky.

And one from the amazing James O'Brien, though recorded a few hours prior to his 'leaving' speech.

And in a few moments after the initial elation wears off, people in England will remember, the position of PM fell onto Johnson. Who the heck is left to lead England now? Since Cameron pulled his brilliant Brexit election maneuver, there hasn't been a viable obvious front runner to lead. That led to May and then Johnson becoming PM.

The funny part is that the Conservatives have been in charge for over a decade and they have thoroughly fucked the UK. And there is no opposition anywhere in site that can challenge them still. Johnson was always a piece of trash and never should have been PM. He seemed to have run from Government after his team won the Brexit vote. And then he came back and managed to become PM as there seemed to be no one else.

The Republicans (thanks to gerrymandering) are almost at that point too in the US.

And in a few moments after the initial elation wears off, people in England will remember, the position of PM fell onto Johnson. Who the heck is left to lead England now? Since Cameron pulled his brilliant Brexit election maneuver, there hasn't been a viable obvious front runner to lead. That led to May and then Johnson becoming PM.

The funny part is that the Conservatives have been in charge for over a decade and they have thoroughly fucked the UK. And there is no opposition anywhere in site that can challenge them still. Johnson was always a piece of trash and never should have been PM. He seemed to have run from Government after his team won the Brexit vote. And then he came back and managed to become PM as there seemed to be no one else.

The Republicans (thanks to gerrymandering) are almost at that point too in the US.
The Tories will just pick yet another gormless punce who went to the right school and the press will just pretend that it's somehow not the same old bunch of kleptocrats.

I just learned that I won that quarter I found laying in the parking lot this morning. Thanks, Patooka!

I think this article (gifted) summed it up in the first two paragraphs very well.
article said:
For years, Boris Johnson’s superpower was his lack of shame. The British prime minister first gained mainstream attention years ago as a punching bag for comedians on a satirical, anti-establishment panel show. Later, accusations of cronyism, corruption, incompetence and infidelity fell beside his meteoric political rise like water off a duck’s back.

But while Britain’s Conservatives once delighted in his ability to weather anything his many critics threw at him, Johnson’s brazenness is now a major problem for them. Johnson may not feel any embarrassment, but his colleagues ended up affected by it vicariously. Finally forced to announce his resignation Thursday, Johnson ended up the first British prime minister brought down not by personal shame, but by a collective cringe.
Gosh Johnson sounds like someone else we are familiar with.

What I find incredible is, it doesn't seem Brexit or his response to Covid had any impact on his political career. And that it was relatively small stuff that took him down in the end.

Annnnd..he's out.
So one might think. Says he intends to remain at 10 Downing St. until a successor is chosen.
He will almost certainly borrow a page from the Wisconsin GQP that is allowing their defeated candidates to remain in office by refusing to confirm any elected Dem.

Great Britain is becoming too much like the United States. it needs to stop that trend

What I find incredible is, it doesn't seem Brexit or his response to Covid had any impact on his political career. And that it was relatively small stuff that took him down in the end.
A British PM, either MacMillian or Wilson said something similar. It is the small things that get out of control that cause the problems.

I have been watching Boris since he became Lord Mayor of London. Even then I was wondering what people saw in him. He seemed indolent even then. His only (very small) virtue was his ability to turn a phrase.

Back
Top Bottom