• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

I've heard that Windows 10 has several security loopholes. Also stuff about how it collects your data.

If every dire prediction about the next windows version came to be, Microsoft would be a memory like Atari.

Every operating system has security loopholes, which is why there is a constant stream of updates, right up to the point they decide to stop worrying about it and try to sell the next version.

Did you happen to check what the options looked like to postpone actual install for later? Did you notice if one has to set and exact day and time or was it more general. I don't want to do the actual install until sometime after I get back from vacation on August 10.

You know, I didn't. The App said three things would happen. 1) Windows 10 would download automatically. 2) The app would tell you when the download was complete and the new OS ready to install. 3) You would be given the option of what to install.

Well, it downloaded automatically, but it didn't inform me. I had to manually go to Windows Update to see if it had downloaded. It had. From there I clicked to install it. In short, I have no idea how the app was supposed to operate or what options it was supposed to give me. Furthermore, I have no idea if windows update would have done anything automatically had I not checked.

OK, since updating, I haven't been able to use my scrolling on my multi-touch mouse pad. I've had issues in the past with my mouse, so I'm hesitant to say this is a problem with windows 10, but it could be an issue. I left feedback to this effect.

Both of my computers, the brand new one and the one that I got in 2009 have stalled out downloading. The new one hasn't downloaded since my first report. Near as I can tell the old one also quit around the same time. So I expect it has nothing to do with my computers but something to do with MS servers and choices it makes on how to send out files around the world to millions of people at once.

But now when I hit the Windows 10 icon both tell me I will be notified when download is complete. That's a step in the right direction.

Probably no more reports from me tonight.

For those who are ready to install I'd love to hear what the options are for postponing installation to a later date.

Did you happen to check what the options looked like to postpone actual install for later? Did you notice if one has to set and exact day and time or was it more general. I don't want to do the actual install until sometime after I get back from vacation on August 10.

You know, I didn't. The App said three things would happen. 1) Windows 10 would download automatically. 2) The app would tell you when the download was complete and the new OS ready to install. 3) You would be given the option of what to install.

Well, it downloaded automatically, but it didn't inform me. I had to manually go to Windows Update to see if it had downloaded. It had. From there I clicked to install it. In short, I have no idea how the app was supposed to operate or what options it was supposed to give me. Furthermore, I have no idea if windows update would have done anything automatically had I not checked.

All I know is that on their FAQ page it does say that installation can be postponed. The Windows 10 icon says I will be notified when ready so I guess I will not jump any guns and wait until I get a notification even if it appears to be complete.

Not actually installing it for a over a week anyway.

Though I may let my old computer install to see how it goes.

Just running it now. It looks different but I can't quite comment on it yet as I've been using it for about four minutes. My prediction is that in the end I'd probably just rather be using Windows 7.

They've included their new browser with it called 'Microsoft Edge'. Probably still not going to use it unless I run into reviews eventually calling it better than Chrome.

I've been running 7 for years, so I went ahead and installed Windows 10.

This is a non-sequitur.

If it's not broken, why would you change anything?

Is there a new feature in Windows 10 that you want or need? Is there an issue in Windows 7 that you have reason to believe is fixed or mitigated in Windows 10?

How can 'I have been running 7 for years' qualify as a reason to '[go] ahead and install Windows 10'? There has to be more to it than that.

After using it for a couple hours, I'll stick with my original thought that I'd rather be on seven. So far it seems less annoying than 8, but any new things I've noticed so far are either intrusive methods of getting data from users, or designs that increase the likelihood you'll use Microsoft products, and not that of competitors. The latter point is pretty much what I expected, but I decided to go for it anyway because I was curious.

About 100% of the time I don't want to notice my OS, when I start noticing it doing stuff I don't want it to do I get turned off, and all across the board, from Facebook, to Linkedin, to Windows this is the way design is going. "Hey, we noticed you haven't updated your cover photo in a while, click this button to do so". Yea I haven't updated it because I don't want to, leave me alone.

Next step linux.

I've been running 7 for years, so I went ahead and installed Windows 10.

This is a non-sequitur.

Is there a new feature in Windows 10 that you want or need? Is there an issue in Windows 7 that you have reason to believe is fixed or mitigated in Windows 10?

How can 'I have been running 7 for years' qualify as a reason to '[go] ahead and install Windows 10'? There has to be more to it than that.

Yes. There is a feature in Windows 10 that I want or need: Microsoft is eventually going to slow down the rate at which they produce patches for Windows 7, but that won't happen with Windows 10 until much later.

Also, it was free.

This is a non-sequitur.

Yes. There is will at some time in the future be a feature in Windows 10 that I want or need: Microsoft is eventually going to slow down the rate at which they produce patches for Windows 7, but that won't happen with Windows 10 until much later.
FTFY. That's still not a reason to upgrade now.
Also, it was free.

There is free to chop off your own testicles with a rusty kitchen knife*. That's not a reason to do it.

*This may also be less painful than using Windows

My thoughts so far, it's definitely better than 8. I will need to play around with it a lot more, I mean A LOT MORE, before I upgrade my windows 7 computer.

I also have no particular attachment to 7 either, as many of you do. I never used most of the features. My decision will be based 100% on how I think 10 works.

Back
Top Bottom