• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Upgrading to Windows 10 anyone?

After using it for a couple hours, I'll stick with my original thought that I'd rather be on seven. So far it seems less annoying than 8, but any new things I've noticed so far are either intrusive methods of getting data from users, or designs that increase the likelihood you'll use Microsoft products, and not that of competitors. The latter point is pretty much what I expected, but I decided to go for it anyway because I was curious.

About 100% of the time I don't want to notice my OS, when I start noticing it doing stuff I don't want it to do I get turned off, and all across the board, from Facebook, to Linkedin, to Windows this is the way design is going. "Hey, we noticed you haven't updated your cover photo in a while, click this button to do so". Yea I haven't updated it because I don't want to, leave me alone.

Next step linux.

I like the concept of being able to interact with the OS, but there should be options to turn it off. Have you looked around for any?

Last edited:
I would not be so interested in Windows 10 if windows 7 wasn't so flaky on this brand new computer. It's basically Windows Update that's been causing problems. An update broke windows update and broke the BITS service that it needs. BITS is the service that allows update and other things to download stuff in the background. It killed iTunes Store, access to on-line Windows Help and other stuff. To fix it I had to do a complete Windows 7 reinstall.

But as the new install found updates, Update itself became flaky again. There are updates in que but the Install button on Shut down rarely shows up. Last night it did. There were 8 updates showing ready to install in Update but when I shut down it only tried to install 1 of them. It took 30 minutes to shit down and when I powered up the log didn't even indicate that it had even tried to update. No mention of the attempt at all. Not even a Fail in the log.

This morning here are now 10 updates showing that they are waiting but still no Install Icon on Shut down button.

I could tell them to install within update but doing that is what made everything fall apart the first time.

So I would really like to have Windows 10 at least fully downloaded and ready. The Windows 10 files need Update and BITS to be running but if BITS and Update crash and refuse to start again it could be a lot harder to get Windows 10 going, and hopefully bypass this crash cycle I appear to be on the verge of repeating.

I know that it's possible to go directly to MS and get the download but again, I don't know if that requires BITS and Update to still be working or not.

My thoughts so far, it's definitely better than 8. I will need to play around with it a lot more, I mean A LOT MORE, before I upgrade my windows 7 computer.

I also have no particular attachment to 7 either, as many of you do. I never used most of the features. My decision will be based 100% on how I think 10 works.
My attachment to 7 is that it works. A new system will likely require more resources. Hence I like the system that is smaller and works.

Nope. been running 7 on both my laptops for 4-5 years now, and I'm quite happy with it. If and when I have to get a new laptop, it'll probably have 10 installed, so I can change then. Until then, though, no need, as far as I can see.

What advantages does Win 10 have over Win 7?

+3

(presumably)

Umm, no, +2, I think ...

Bill-Gates-Count-to-10-Windows-Meme1.jpg

I used NT for a long time on my work computer. Didn't know consumers didn't get it. The only problem with NT was that it took forever to shut down.

Isn't there an ME in there somewhere?
Yeah, ME should replace 2000. NT and 2000 weren't consumer releases.

2k was the best ever, extremely stable and slim. So it is 3.1, 95 (2), 98 (3), ME (4), XP (5), Vista (6), 7 (7), 8 (8), 10 (9?).

Yeah, the graphical user interface for desktops was done and solved with 2k. There was no need for all the other shit. If they just did security, maintenance, and small tweaks I would have been more than happy. I guess there is no money in that though.

Ah well, off for vacation in Maine tomorrow and both new and old notebooks are packed and will be unconnected from the internet until Monday August 10.

I'll be on line on my tablet by connection to my phone's hot spot but no new news from me. But checking in here for sure.

I do wonder what will happen on the 10th. Windows Update on my brand new notebook is both running and seriously broken. Hmmmm.

Well, all it will be doing on vacation is serving as a place to download photos. And the old notebook will be a DVD player.

Posted from tablet.

Yeah, ME should replace 2000. NT and 2000 weren't consumer releases.

2k was the best ever, extremely stable and slim. So it is 3.1, 95 (2), 98 (3), ME (4), XP (5), Vista (6), 7 (7), 8 (8), 10 (9?).

Yeah, the graphical user interface for desktops was done and solved with 2k. There was no need for all the other shit. If they just did security, maintenance, and small tweaks I would have been more than happy. I guess there is no money in that though.
XP made a transition to entertainment. Vista improved on it a little but ran straight into the 32-bit wall. 7 was Vista SP4 and is very reliable and has a lot of staying power. The thread title says "upgrade", is 10 an upgrade from 7? Other than spying on every single operation you perform, what does 10 do that 7 can't?

I installed it today. Still working through it, but by far the most frustrating thing is compatibility of a couple old programs I've been using for years.

They're from some obscure company called "Microsoft," so maybe that's the problem?

I installed it today. Still working through it, but by far the most frustrating thing is compatibility of a couple old programs I've been using for years.

They're from some obscure company called "Microsoft," so maybe that's the problem?
Well, the older programs don't fall in well with Microsoft's new "We want you to pay us every year to use our products" business plan.

I upgraded my laptop yesterday to Windows 10. As others have mentioned, a few programs are broken. The download/install took over 3 hours. I'm not impressed with the new browser "The Edge" - I'll stick to Chrome or IE. At this point, I can't see any reason to recommend anybody to upgrade to it - with the exception of upgrading off of Windows 8.x, which I think is worse.

If this is true, then I regret accepting that free upgrade:

http://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

And if, as seems likely, it is NOT true, then are you really happy dealing with a supplier whose tech support reps know less about the product they are meant to be supporting than most random geeks on the Internet?

This is a lose-lose for MS.

Bron's Rule of technology improvement:

Every update which includes new features will lose an old feature which you use frequently and wish you could keep.

Back
Top Bottom