• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

Eh don't let it get to you, try to think of it this way:

Dems/Liberals had their "Yes we can!" Candidate, it's only fair the repubs/conservatives get theirs next.

Except Trump isn't about 'we" at all. He's the "yes I can" candidate.

That's not the point, the point is how he's selling it to the voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

When you forcefully convert the Andalusians to Christendom under pain of death, turns out that they don't magically become christians
What the fuck are you talking about?

An environment where people associate a set of beliefs with public consternation doesn't cause them to change their viewpoints, but instead just sends them underground until the time is right

I think NC will fall and Virginia and the rest of the "firewall" (with possible exception of NH) will hold for Clinton. Will come down to Nevada, Michigan, and New Hampshire. Clinton needs MI and one of the other two.
NY Times predicts Michigan as well as PA to Trump. Unless their model is deeply flawed, which as a pessimist I doubt, seems like Trump has already won.

North Carolina looks blue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I think NC will fall and Virginia and the rest of the "firewall" (with possible exception of NH) will hold for Clinton. Will come down to Nevada, Michigan, and New Hampshire. Clinton needs MI and one of the other two.
NY Times predicts Michigan as well as PA to Trump. Unless their model is deeply flawed, which as a pessimist I doubt, seems like Trump has already won.
PA?! No fucking way. Michigan leaning Trump yes.

Holy fuck! 269 to 269 tie is forming up!

They are predicting a Trump Win at 55%. WOW.

I was hoping for a close race with a Clinton win... and I may get what I wanted still :)

Well look at the silver lining, If she loses you get to watch Hillary eat crow and possibly endure prison time. A fitting punishment for such flagrant arrogance.

Totally awesome. Don't worry folks, if Trump wins he will be mostly a lame duck in office. His own party doesn't much like him. But this is already shaking up the political landscape. A big wake up call to establishment insiders like Hillary's crew. Bernie would have wiped the floor with Trump. Next time around maybe Democrats will stop pushing a corrupt politician like Pay-To-Play Hillary.
Don't get me wrong, anytime we get a Republican it's awful for the country, but our guy just didn't produce.

I think it's actually good if he wins. Americans will finally get swallow the right-wing medicine they think is so good. The wingers will not be able to just sit on the sidelines and bitch - they'll be in the drivers seat.

If Clinton wins it's just going to be the same old thing; the wingers will block everything, and complain about her every decision. Then we'd just get a nightmare president in 2020. But with Trump winning we get a fairly tame Republican (compared to Cruz, Perry, Santorum, etc) that will just be a complete clown that embarrasses the country, and the Dems can try again with a real candidate in 2020.

That's the hope anyways.

North Carolina looks blue to me.
Not to NY times. They predict it red at 90% probability now, which seems reasonable given that most votes are counted.

PA?! No fucking way. Michigan leaning Trump yes.

Holy fuck! 269 to 269 tie is forming up!
233 to 305 now according to NY times. PA is a toss-up at 51% Trump.

Trump can do a lot of damage with stupid-ass foreign policy alone, and you'll get republican house and senate. Nice.

Edited to add: but as non-American I am really most concerned about Trump totally being a doormat to Putin.

Totally awesome. Don't worry folks, if Trump wins he will be mostly a lame duck in office. His own party doesn't much like him. But this is already shaking up the political landscape. A big wake up call to establishment insiders like Hillary's crew. Bernie would have wiped the floor with Trump. Next time around maybe Democrats will stop pushing a corrupt politician like Pay-To-Play Hillary.
Don't get me wrong, anytime we get a Republican it's awful for the country, but our guy just didn't produce.

I think it's actually good if he wins. Americans will finally get swallow the right-wing medicine they think is so good. The wingers will not be able to just sit on the sidelines and bitch - they'll be in the drivers seat.

If Clinton wins it's just going to be the same old thing; the wingers will block everything, and complain about her every decision. Then we'd just get a nightmare president in 2020. But with Trump winning we get a fairly tame Republican (compared to Cruz, Perry, Santorum, etc) that will just be a complete clown that embarrasses the country, and the Dems can try again with a real candidate in 2020.

That's the hope anyways.

If Trump wins, he'll largely just be a puppet for Pence, who is NOT someone you want running the show. Pence will do all the real work and Trump will continue to be a celebrity while taking all the credit.

Hillary's concession speech will be amazing to see if it happens. Almost as amazing to see as Trump's. More amazing in some ways.

Hillary's concession speech will be amazing to see if it happens. Almost as amazing to see as Trump's. More amazing in some ways.

Pray for a draw and a third party nomination then we can see both!

^So did all the pre-election polling. Even the internal polling must have been way off.

The wingers were in the drivers seat not long ago. The result was the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Lessons learned by the wingers?

None.

In fact they doubled down on their policies, stating that the real problem was that the markets simply weren't deregulated enough.

The wingers were in the drivers seat not long ago. The result was the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Lessons learned by the wingers?

None.

In fact they doubled down on their policies, stating that the real problem was that the markets simply weren't deregulated enough.

And even then, supreme court justice choices will have far reaching consequences for potentially decades to come. Not that there aren't silver linings but this is pretty bad.

That's the hope anyways.

If Trump wins, he'll largely just be a puppet for Pence, who is NOT someone you want running the show. Pence will do all the real work and Trump will continue to be a celebrity while taking all the credit.
No.

Pence is the puppet. He was chosen to placate the religious fanatics - which worked. Trump wants the power and the steering wheel. That wasn't true with Busch/Cheney. Stop assuming that every religious fucktard is some diabolical genius.

They aren't.

White males want to bring America back to the 50s. I think Trump has won. How in the fucking hell did this asshole get elected?

Back
Top Bottom