• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

I am surprised that Walker dropped out. We have a large number of evangelicals here and Scott Walker bumper stickers and yard signs certainly dominated around here.

While the big news in the latest poll was the big jump for Fiorina and the disappearance of Walker, I notice that Rubio made a sizable gain, from 5 or 6 percent to 11, probably at the expense of Walker. With Bush continuing to fumble, could the establishment be starting to rally around Rubio?

Though don't think that I know what I'm talking about. My money was on Walker. Fortunately, only figuratively speaking.

Though don't think that I know what I'm talking about. My money was on Walker. Fortunately, only figuratively speaking.

Trump has made everything so surreal that non-Trump-related concepts such as "logic" and "reason" don't really apply when trying to figure out what's going to happen with Trump in the equation.

It's somewhere in the spectrum between really funny and really sad.

I am surprised that Walker dropped out. We have a large number of evangelicals here and Scott Walker bumper stickers and yard signs certainly dominated around here.

Heh, Walker is too much of a drinker (and who knows what else) to play well to evangelicals, despite his daddy. I would like to say too big a mean spirited idiot but I'm a realist.

While the big news in the latest poll was the big jump for Fiorina and the disappearance of Walker, I notice that Rubio made a sizable gain, from 5 or 6 percent to 11, probably at the expense of Walker. With Bush continuing to fumble, could the establishment be starting to rally around Rubio?

It is way too early, but Rubio seems to be the next establishment choice. The question is will it be Kasich - Rubio, Rubio - Kasich, or can Fiorina survive long enough. Rubio so far has been one of the only candidates playing the long game. Fiorina too, but that is because she is running for VP.

I wonder if Colin Powell stepped up at the last minute (relatively speaking) before the Republican Primary, if he could snatch the brass ring from Trump?

I know he said repeatedly that he didn't want to run. But then soldiers are accustomed to doing what they feel is their duty, despite initial reservations.
Powell didn't want to run for the '00 version of the Party. You think he wants to run for the '16 version of the Party?

Re-read the part I said about 'soldiers' and 'duty'.

- - - Updated - - -

It is way too early, but Rubio seems to be the next establishment choice.

As lots of people have been saying, it will be interesting to see supporters of Rubio explain why a one-term Senator is qualified to be President in 2016, but not in 2008.

What a difference eight years makes.

Powell didn't want to run for the '00 version of the Party. You think he wants to run for the '16 version of the Party?

He couldn't stomach it with the party that selected W over McCain. He couldn't possibly handle it with the party that exists today. No matter or duty or whatever will change that.

As lots of people have been saying, it will be interesting to see supporters of Rubio explain why a one-term Senator is qualified to be President in 2016, but not in 2008.

Actually, I've said that. ;)

So far the answer is Rubio did more in the Florida House and was Speaker. Obama wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the eight years that makes the difference, it is the following:
Rubio is less brown than Obama.
Rubio was not born in Kenya.
Rubio is not a sekrit Muslim.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the eight years that makes the difference, it is the following:
Rubio is less brown than Obama.
Rubio was not born in Kenya.
Rubio is not a sekrit Muslim.
He's the child of immigrants :eek:.

Regarding Walker's drop-out:

I’m glad that the nation will be spared the unanaesthetized brain removal surgery that would have been a Walker administration. The man was by far the most dangerous candidate running as far as the long-term survival of the republic was concerned, up to and including The Donald, and anything that that keeps him out of the Oval Office – even as a tourist – is by definition a good thing.

On the other hand, this is a guy whose entire career has been defined by overweening ambition and ruthless petty vengeance against those who have crossed him, and I fear for Wisconsin. He’s back, he’s angry, and like any sociopath he has no conception that any of his ills were his fault. He’s already on record blaming others for his fall. We will pay for the wisdom of the American people in rejecting him, no doubt.

For an empty suit simpleton without the Bush pedigree, he seemed on a much higher path. Maybe 2020.

He should never even been considered a potential front runner. His inability to understand he operates within a representative democracy is a damning trait.

Who's left? The entire Republican party is running for the nomination.

heh... somewhere, there's someone so completely unknown that nobody has any dirt on him/her. Someone willing and eager to embrace the Koch Brothers' agenda and money. That's all that's required.

Kochs Demand Walker Return Nine Hundred Million Dollars

MADISON, WISCONSIN (The Borowitz Report)—Just minutes after the Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker dropped out of the Republican Presidential race, the billionaire Koch brothers demanded that he return the nine hundred million dollars they had allocated to his campaign.

Ya, they're not getting that money back. Walker's already spent it all on hookers and blow.

Serves them right for lending money to Scott Walker.

Ya, they're not getting that money back. Walker's already spent it all on hookers and blow.

Serves them right for lending money to Scott Walker.

Tom, that was satire.

My response about Walker spending all his money on hookers and blow was not satire. That's actually what he did. The GOP made a deal with him that if he bowed out gracefully, they'd keep quiet about it.

Back
Top Bottom