• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Violence and the Election

Yup. Now Trump is saying there will be a bloodbath if he is not elected. But hey. Thst’s just talk. It’s not like letting leftists out of prison.
My hope is that it is in fact an EC bloodbath with MAGAtard blood being spilled everywhere. Nothing could be more appropriate. But I'm hardly worried about general violence. There will always be the few crazies because that's simply natural selection at work. But our institutions will be prepared and there will not be another Jan 6.

MAGAtards have a very strong emotional component, meaning they have a very strong irrational component. They just love to fantasize. I'm feeling better everyday about Biden's chances. Orange ManBaby continues to alienate moderate and undecided voters while he stokes his base of crazies. Keep it up, Orange!
Those few crazies are unlikely to self-immolate but may well attack election workers, bystanders or anyone who seems a good target. It’s not like the crazies harmed no one during the Jan.6 insurrection attempt. And they’d have done more if they could have found Pelosi or Pence or some other target. Timothy McVey was one of a small group of angry crazies who managed to hurt a lot of innocent people including children at a daycare. Not to mention any of the crazies with guns at various schools, churches, movie theaters, concert venues, etc.

Yup. Now Trump is saying there will be a bloodbath if he is not elected. But hey. Thst’s just talk. It’s not like letting leftists out of prison.
My hope is that it is in fact an EC bloodbath with MAGAtard blood being spilled everywhere. Nothing could be more appropriate. But I'm hardly worried about general violence. There will always be the few crazies because that's simply natural selection at work. But our institutions will be prepared and there will not be another Jan 6.

MAGAtards have a very strong emotional component, meaning they have a very strong irrational component. They just love to fantasize. I'm feeling better everyday about Biden's chances. Orange ManBaby continues to alienate moderate and undecided voters while he stokes his base of crazies. Keep it up, Orange!
Those few crazies are unlikely to self-immolate but may well attack election workers, bystanders or anyone who seems a good target. It’s not like the crazies harmed no one during the Jan.6 insurrection attempt. And they’d have done more if they could have found Pelosi or Pence or some other target. Timothy McVey was one of a small group of angry crazies who managed to hurt a lot of innocent people including children at a daycare. Not to mention any of the crazies with guns at various schools, churches, movie theaters, concert venues, etc.
They won't attack election workers.

Election workers are there to help any voter who wants to vote and the OVERWHELMING in-person voters are crazy Republicans. Everyone else votes by mail if possible.

I don't see how calling for a bloodbath over auto imports is supposed to be better than calling for the same over an election. If I don't want to see blood shed over an important issue, why would I want to see it lost over a trivial one?

I'm hearing some claim that he meant to refer to an "economic bloodbath" not a literal one. But what the hell is that supposed to mean? I've never heard anyone else refer to an "economic bloodbath". That is not even a thing.

Election workers are there to help any voter who wants to vote and the OVERWHELMING in-person voters are crazy Republicans. Everyone else votes by mail if possible.
Oh, I see! We're all safe because there more of them than there are of us! Good thing no one ever threatens violence against minorities, eh?

Hey @AdamWho good to see ya.
Sounds like maybe you gave up on the GQP rejecting Trump.

Rest assured though, election workers will continue to be attacked. The people who attacked them last cycle are still running free. If Trump loses it’s it’s election workers’ fault. Naturally.

I knew it wouldn’t be long until someone raised the stupid argument of supposed moral equivalence from the left. Utter bullshit.
A lot of political violence has historically come from the far left. Remember Weather Underground? Or the Black Panther Party?
Keyword: Historically. These days it's from the right.

IDK: I always vote in person because it is easy and convenient for me to do so. I’m not legally considered crazy and I intend to never vote for another Republican for the rest of my life. So pardon me if I don’t agree with you.

Of course I DO remember the threats against black election workers. Maybe this will refresh your memory:

And maybe you don’t recall Trump and others calling for ‘observers’ to ‘monitor polls.’ But I do:

I don't see how calling for a bloodbath over auto imports is supposed to be better than calling for the same over an election. If I don't want to see blood shed over an important issue, why would I want to see it lost over a trivial one?

I'm hearing some claim that he meant to refer to an "economic bloodbath" not a literal one. But what the hell is that supposed to mean? I've never heard anyone else refer to an "economic bloodbath". That is not even a thing.

Even if we were to accept the claim that it was about the auto industry...

The "economic bloodbath" happened already. Back when Trump was featured on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" in the 1980s. I grew up in Michigan, and since the entire economy was wrapped up in the auto industry, the devastation was widespread and affected just about everyone. Ever been to Flint?

Anyway, it's not the case anymore that the US auto industry is based in my home state, or any one working class Rust Belt city. For better or worse, it is global, and if you want another economic bloodbath that hits American auto workers even harder? Try to undo that globalization. Impose absurd tariffs on any automotive product or supply chain part produced in another country. Push carmakers like Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW out of the US. Cut off imports from any company that's even partially owned by Chinese interests, and stop stop GM (the company that owns my employer) from doing business overseas.

Trump simply does not understand that the auto industry is drastically different than it was in 1983...or whatever he considers a baseline. His sort of thinking (ignore the rest of the world, insist that American products are superior, and block any other from operating in the US market) is exactly why the economy of my home state was all but destroyed back when he was beginning to shop around for a new wife after he grew tired of his Czech fashion model.

Reactions: SLD
IDK: I always vote in person because it is easy and convenient for me to do so. I’m not legally considered crazy and I intend to never vote for another Republican for the rest of my life. So pardon me if I don’t agree with you.
Early voting and mail-in voting has proved sufficiently more convenient that I do not know where our polling station is. From when it got moved due to the redistricting from the 2000 census.

I agree. He uses language to stir up his cult, which can easily lead to violence, regardless if he means bloodbath literally or as some type of weird metaphor that nobody would ever use. But, most of what he says doesn't even make sense, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised at anything he says.

He's a dangerous psychopath, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Of course I DO remember the threats against black election workers. Maybe this will refresh your memory:

And maybe you don’t recall Trump and others calling for ‘observers’ to ‘monitor polls.’ But I do:

And I've only voted by mail once, and I always for Democrats. I voted by mail during the pandemic. Most of the people I know in Georgia, regardless of party, vote during our three weeks of early voting. It's easy and fast in most counties. I know a few Democrats who actually live in rural areas and they vote on Election Day because there are never any crowds where they live. Plus, to some people, voting in person on Election Day is a ritual that they enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't generalize about how different groups of people vote.

Only if you dismiss the 2020 political violence that has largely been coming from the left.

And this year somebody detonated a bomb at the Alabama Attorney General's office. While nobody has been caught yet, chances are the motivation was from the left wing.

Those few crazies are unlikely to self-immolate
I guess they leave that to your crazies like Aaron Bushnell ...
Not to mention any of the crazies with guns at various schools, churches, movie theaters, concert venues, etc.
Police stations/vehicles, ICE offices, courthouses, pawn shops, Wendy's, Target stores etc. like the left did in 2020, right?

no. He compared it to the dragging of a lectern and putting feet up on a desk. And to be fair those are mild things.
And yet those people got far more prison time than the two #BLM lawyers who torched a police vehicle in NYC.
Criminal prosecutions should not be based on which side of the political spectrum one is on, but only on the severity of the crimes. Unfortunately, under Merrick Garland, DOJ has become very political.
It is of course intellectual dishonesty to leave out the rest of what happened
Compared to the 2020 violence, 1/6 was pretty mild. That's my point. Your ilk killed an 8 year girl in Atlanta. Let that sink in.
People on here harp on right-wing violence but either ignore leftist violence altogether, or dismiss it as insignificant. Oh, 2020 doesn't matter because it did not involve the Capitol. Oh, Senate bombing was ok because they called ahead. And besides, they were women, so you are a "misogynist" if you point out they did anything wrong ...

This whole thread is this really. And the "2024 race" thread has become a circle jerk too. A lot of gloating about NY judgments, not much discussion about the actual presidential race.

Last edited:
Only if you dismiss the 2020 political violence that has largely been coming from the left.

And this year somebody detonated a bomb at the Alabama Attorney General's office. While nobody has been caught yet, chances are the motivation was from the left wing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/...e_code=1.dk0.K5rY.m856EvUKFKf5&smid=url-share

I'm sharing the complete article just to educate people like you Derek.

Over the past decade, the Anti-Defamation League has countedabout 450 U.S. murders committed by political extremists.
Of these 450 killings, right-wing extremists committed about 75 percent. Islamic extremists were responsible for about 20 percent, and left-wing extremists were responsible for 4 percent.
Nearly half of the murders were specifically tied to white supremacists:
17-THE-MORNING-CHART-articleLarge-v2.png

Credit...Source: Anti-Defamation League
As this data shows, the American political right has a violence problem that has no equivalent on the left. And the 10 victims in Buffalo this past weekend are now part of this toll. “Right-wing extremist violence is our biggest threat,” Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the ADL, has written. “The numbers don’t lie.”

Jan. 6 attack on Congress. It also extends to the language from some Republican politicians — including Donald Trump — and conservative media figures that treats violence as a legitimate form of political expression. A much larger number of Republican officials do not use this language but also do not denounce it or punish politicians who do use it; Kevin McCarthy, the top House Republican, is a leading example.

It’s important to emphasize that not all extremist violence comes from the right — and that the precise explanation for any one attack can be murky, involving a mixture of ideology, mental illness, gun access and more. In the immediate aftermath of an attack, people are sometimes too quick to claim a direct cause and effect. But it is also incorrect to pretend that right-wing violence and left-wing violence are equivalent problems.

And, the above article is from 2022, so the right wing nut jobs probably have some more violence to add to their list.

So I hear you say that FORTY YEARS AGO, “leftists” bombed a closed and empty building after delivering a warning to switchboard to make sure it was empty of people.
I bring this case up because other leftist violence (like the deadly and very destructive violence through much of 2020) doesn't matter because ut did not involve the Capitol.
And that seems to you to be just as bad as thousands breaking into a building, with guns and hand ties, while it is ooccupied by government officials, and shouting about killing them, and even planning ahead to build a noose, in order to prevent the peaceful transition of power after an election that they lost?
Do government officials matter more than regular people who have been terrorized by #BLM and Antifa in 2020? Does Cori Bush's comfort matter more than Secoriea Turner's life?
And how many of them were armed, if any?

That’s what seems reasonable in your head?
I think those who have committed crimes during 1/6 should be prosecuted. But so should those who have committed crimes during the 2020 riots. And they should not get reduced sentences just because prosecutors agree with their politics either.

There is an unfortunate trend on this forum to dismiss any violence by the left as insignificant. That's what I am arguing about. And if a right-wing group had bombed the Senate there would be a huge outcry if a Republican president decided to let them out of prison.

You’re like, yeah, well, forty years ago, (sorry, it’s the best I got, and definitely no rightists have done anything even romotely like it in the forty years in between! Promise!),
Well, not in the Senate. Overall, groups like Weather Underground and different offshoots and allies bombed a lot of places and killed many people.

forty years ago 6 people on the side I don’t like, and also they were women,
So I guess we can't criticize them, right?
There were many women in leftist terrorist circles then. Kathy Boudin for example participated in the murderous robbery in the 1981 Brinks robbery that May 19th group was also involved in. Before then, she was part of a terror cell that blew themselves up accidentally in an NYC brownstone. Unfortunately she and another terrorist survived that bomb.

That’s what your brain said and you typed it out in public?!??
Yes. I do not think you'd be as dismissive of it if it was a right wing group who had bombed the Senate.
You would be dismissive if a #BLM member got 4.5 years for putting his feet up on Mike Johnson's desk while a right-winger who torched a police vehicle got a sweetheart deal for one year from a Republican attorney general.

I hope you understand the damage to your credibility by presenting such an obvious false equivalence.
No two things are ever exactly the same, but why do you think bombing of the Senate for political purposes is insignificant?

Back
Top Bottom