• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What are some positions you would recommend I have before I run for congress?

Still waiting for evidence to indicate that Buzz is not a humorous reference to a 60 cycle hum emanating from a cpu housing.

Troll accusations are against the TOU. Please stop before you make a lot of work for the mods.

Don't worry, the boss takes the suggestions box very seriously, so talking to your co-workers is simply unnecessary. The Company is a sort of family, you see.

I still think we're looking at troll posts. It's just too pat.
Unfortunately, I don't think so.
Where I live, semi -rural southern Indiana, there are lots of people like that. People with internet access. People who vote.
People who think that Doug and me holding hands at the mall is "forcing homosexuality on them". People who want to melt down the Statue of Liberty and make more sections of The Great Wall of Texas out of it.

It's all quite common around here.
Tom

It's not usually so formulaic.
Maybe not where you live.
But it's very common around here. Oftentimes worse.

My partner and his mom used to attend The First Baptist Church of Taylorsville. Yeah, believe me, Buzz is being more careful than lots of those people bothered being.
Tom

What would a strong resume look like before I run for congress?
I'm not sure you are willing to listen to anything people have to say, but I will provide my suggestions anyway.

1. Sign up for service in the Marine Corps. Not only will military service look good on a resume, it will also teach you valuable skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life. Service will teach you discipline and self control, an ability to work with others as part of a team, an ability to plan operations and also follow instructions, as well as mental and physical hygiene. It will (ideally) burn off the remnants of childhood entitlements and selfish desires and make you a man, perhaps even a leader of men. Having read many of your posts in this forum, I think service in the Corps may correct many of the flaws in your worldview that are so obvious to those around you.

2. Go to Law School. In order to be a legislator, someone who creates and helps write policies and laws, you need to be aware of the law and the framework within which these laws are drafted.

3. Go to work as an assistant for a sitting Congressperson/Senator to learn how politics work. Politics is very much an insiders' game, and in order to play the game successfully, you need to know how the game is played.

4. Dedicate your life to the service of others. Volunteer to help others who are less fortunate than you, and work diligently and without any thought of reward towards this end. Political office is all about (or should be all about) the service of the community you represent, and is the most important aspect of the job.

Where I live, semi -rural southern Indiana, there are lots of people like that. People with internet access. People who vote.
People who think that Doug and me holding hands at the mall is "forcing homosexuality on them". People who want to melt down the Statue of Liberty and make more sections of The Great Wall of Texas out of it.

Tom
I don't dispute the existence of xerox-copy MAGAstar wanna-be's. We have one in my county, right down the road. (He's running for Congress this year, but made an unbelievably nasty comment on a podcast -- not a hot mic) and is currently telling the media that he won't drop out because of it. But -- here's where post after post calls Nighthawkbuzz out, above -- what MAGAstar wanna-be goes on an atheist/progressive-leaning website for "advice", then gets a ton and a half of sarcasm and logical takedowns -- and keeps posting? He's not getting a thing out of it that he claims he's searching for, unless what he really wants is web theater with all kinds of libs and atheists wigging out.
(BTW, the comment that our local wunderkind made was in reference to people who "like to talk shit on the internet. It's like being in the Special Olympics. No matter how good you perform, you're still a fucking retard.")

Tom
I don't dispute the existence of xerox-copy MAGAstar wanna-be's. We have one in my county, right down the road. (He's running for Congress this year, but made an unbelievably nasty comment on a podcast -- not a hot mic) and is currently telling the media that he won't drop out because of it. But -- here's where post after post calls this guy out, above -- what MAGAstar wanna-be goes on an atheist/progressive-leaning website for "advice", then gets a ton and a half of sarcasm and logical takedowns -- and keeps posting? He's not getting a thing out of it that he claims he's searching for, unless what he really wants is web theater with all kinds of libs and atheists wigging out.
Will we be featured on Libs Of Tic Toc soon?

He's not getting a thing out of it that he claims he's searching for, unless what he really wants is web theater with all kinds of libs and atheists wigging out.
Except it’s not the libs and atheists wigging out.
He’s the only one really doing that.

I don't dispute the existence of xerox-copy MAGAstar wanna-be's.
I'm not talking about people who are "magastar wannabes".
I'm talking about the people who would vote for him without thinking twice about it. Largely because their churches tell them to do so.

Somehow, modern Christians don't seem to care about Jesus' rather clear morality and ethics. They generally think that Trump is a Christian leader.
Buzz is just another iteration of that.
Tom

I am wondering what are some positions you would recommend that I have before I run for congress?

Like what type of resume should I be building up and having before I run for congress?

What would a strong resume look like before I run for congress?
Just make up a resume like George Santos and hope you don’t get caught.
Your so pathetic all you do is sit here and troll people posting unhelpful comments just to try to get a rise out of me. It's actually really sad and pathetic.
And here we go again. You ask for advice, people give you advice, and you shit on them.
He's not giving me advice he's just trolling. Dude has no business commenting on my post. I'm straight sick of this guy tbh. Wish he wouldn't respond to my post and would just leave completely tbh.

I hate when he responds want nothing to do with this dude honestly.
There's this function called "ignore". You can try it out on the forum, to get a feel for how it works. If you end up running for office, I strongly suggest you learn how to ignore people who are trying to heckle you.

This isn't me being snarky (okay, well a tiny bit), this is actual advice for you.

What is your experience and why do you think it qualifies you for the US Congress?
Meh. Technically the only qualifications needed are to be at least 25 years old, have been a US citizen for 7 years, and be a resident of the state for which you're elected.

That alone isn't particularly likely to get someone elected... but there are no other qualifications or experience needed.

I don't know where your coming to these conclusions man. That's not true I have a good work ethic I understand public office and service.
I suggest volunteering for a public service charity to add to your resume. Work on campaigns of other politicians you support.
Working on campaigns would be incredibly useful to learning the dynamics and schmoozing required of a politician.

Instead of widely reading about the issues most of your community is facing and investigating strategies to address them..,you’re here on this forum asking for advice. You literally want the grown ups to tell you what to do.
I'm trying really hard to set aside my Gen-X views and understand where Zoomers are coming from. But this lack of initiative is pervasive and frequently frustrating.

I don’t mean to discourage you. Heaven forfend! Rather, you should go with who and what you are. Here you are in this latest thread of yours, asking US what positions WE would recommend that YOU should take before running for Congress. But why? You’ve already outlined your stands on the issues — and all your stands are odious.
TBF, I don't think he mean "policy positions", I think he meant "job positions".

I don’t mean to discourage you. Heaven forfend! Rather, you should go with who and what you are. Here you are in this latest thread of yours, asking US what positions WE would recommend that YOU should take before running for Congress. But why? You’ve already outlined your stands on the issues — and all your stands are odious.
TBF, I don't think he mean "policy positions", I think he meant "job positions".

Maybe you’re right. “Positions,” though, is one of those words with multiple meanings that require context. I took it to mean policy positions, you take it to mean jobs, others took it to mean positions in the more literal sense, like, you know, doggy style.

They already confirmed that they’re not interested in communication. So whatever they mean by certain words probably doesn’t matter.

Just curious/quibbling but why is it that people think serving in the military is a good qualification to serve in public office?

Is it just a traditional way to limit the field of candidates to males? I realize that women have always served in the military, even when they had to conceal their gender to do so. For the record, I have many relatives including one of my children who served/are serving in the armed forces.
Service to country would be the first thing that comes to mind. Responsibility for other people’s lives is another. It doesn’t seem to have prevented many women who aren’t veterans from being elected, and it probably helped the women in Congress who are veterans.

People who want to limit the field to men can come up with any number of reasons.
My point was that until recently, military service seemed to be used as a screening tool to keep out women.

Normally, being a politician is not a dangerous undertaking. If one was interested in electing those with a proven record of public service, I would think there would be a bigger effort to recruit nurses, teachers, doctors, public defenders, firefighters and EMTs.
I think there's a nuance here. It's called "public service", but political positions aren't really service positions. They're leadership, not support roles.

I personally think that having more nurses, teachers, firefighters in politics could be a good thing. But generally speaking, the personalities that often gravitate to those fields aren't necessarily the personality types that flourish and shine in political work.

The thing about those positions you mentioned is that they're - to a certain degree - stress tests. A nurse dealing with a patient coding in an ER is very stressful. So is a firefighter running into a burning building. So is (to a great degree) a teacher dealing with a bunch of unruly students in an underfunded school room. Remaining calm in a stressful situation is one aspect of leadership. I spent part of my work day sitting across from one of our crisis management people (who was previously an intelligence analyst at the Pentagon) as she navigated her way through meetings revising our procedures for handling emergencies. I've never felt so out of my depth. But I listened, and I learned.

Stress can also come in many other forms. I asked our intrepid interloper what the biggest crowd he'd spoken in front of for a reason. Public speaking can be extremely stressful, and it takes a certain kind of person to do well. For some reason, I'm one of those people, and can get up onstage in front of hundreds or even thousands of people without freaking out. If I took that experience, coupled it with my time dealing with stressful situations at work, added a genuine desire to help people (which I think I have) and threw in a bit of learning from that analyst I work with, I might - if I had access to an expensive tailor and some good hair and makeup people - be able to get elected to the local city council. Or maybe even a state representative if I so chose. I wouldn't, but I could make an attempt if I wanted to.

Buzz can't even handle commenting on an anonymous internet forum without losing control and lashing out. And he thinks he deserves to be a member of the US House of Representatives.
Your opinion doesn't mean anything you have NEVER ran or won anything in politics before in your life.

Your just some dude typing online with no power or no political influence at all.

Your just some person typing online with no power or influence in politics if you had the ability to run a successful campaign and attempt to win you probably done it by now but you haven't. So your only goal is to attempt to put others down while you do nothing with your own path and have no future in politics.

Really sad and pathetic......
Seriously.

I agree that we need more nurses, teachers, firefighters, etc. in elected office, and if they have a nuanced understanding of what it means to be a public servant, so much the better. Yet handing a seat in Congress over to some 24 year old with an associates degree that "hates teh gays" with a passion? Not so much.
Don't so anything like this to me. I don't have an associates degree I have a bachelor's degree.

Why don't you get a life and stop worrying about what I am doing with mine.

It doesn't matter what you think nobody cares what your opinion is of me in politics.

You have NEVER ran or won anything in politics before in your life.

You haven't done anything in politics before in your life yet you think your somehow qualified to talk about these issues when trust me your not.

Back
Top Bottom