• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Eating the leftovers of last night's roasted vegetables: sweet potato, carrot, onion, and apple. I don't know why I thought to chop up an apple and toss it in with the vegetables, but I will certainly be doing it again.

We went back to Sunday night quiche, but without so much cheese as the cheese was giving our GI tracts some problems. It was full of veggies and very light.

I think the chef is going to make a steak and veggie stir fry. That's not something I'm crazy about but I try to eat whatever he makes for us.

I'm resigned to the fact that my poached eggs are not going to be pretty except for maybe 20% of the time if that. So tonight's poached eggs reflect that reality with only one of them being something you can look at without grossing out. But none of the yolks broke, so I'm more than happy. The only reason I made four eggs this time was because that was how many were left in the carton and I didn't want to leave just one egg. No avocado today, Just toast and salt and pepper.

poached_eggs2.jpg

We're having Thanksgiving dinner again with all the extra stuff we still had that we didn't cook on Thanksgiving. Broski bought two frozen turkeys, so I assumed one was for xmas but I guess he decided he wants it right now instead. So turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc., for dinner tonight. No complaint from me.

Grits!
Once in a while I get 100% sick of all my dinner ideas, and I do a breakfast dinner. I made a garden salad at 6:00, then waited til Joyce Reid's show came on at 7 to make grits. I don't get fancy with them -- I add a dash of vanilla extract to the water, and I add raisins to the grits when they're all cooked, along with margarine and honey. Added 2 slices of multigrain toast. (The salad was not meant to complement the grits; it's just my practice to make a garden salad every day at either lunch or dinner, and today I lunched at Panera.)

I haven't eaten grits in a very long time, but I used to enjoy them with jelly.

Tonight will be steak night. I only eat beef once a week, and when I do it has to be the best cut because I'm a spoiled brat, so beef tenderloin slowly grilled by Mr. Sohy will be my Friday night treat. I need the iron as usual.

Eating the leftovers of last night's roasted vegetables: sweet potato, carrot, onion, and apple. I don't know why I thought to chop up an apple and toss it in with the vegetables, but I will certainly be doing it again.

Sounds good. What kind of apple?

That was a honeycrisp, a nice one bought by the pound. I've since bought a bag of cheaper ones, I think galas, made more roast vegetables and the galas worked well, too. I leave the skins on.

Now that I have mastered the perfect pork crackling and roast pork, I have gone back to chicken.

Stuffing needs a little work as it was a bit sloppy, but the rest was perfect, crispy skin, succulent meat, and tasty!

That was a honeycrisp, a nice one bought by the pound. I've since bought a bag of cheaper ones, I think galas, made more roast vegetables and the galas worked well, too. I leave the skins on.

Damn straight. I love an apple with veggies but usually forget. They've been pretty inexpensive lately. Had a roasted apple and grilled cheese sandwich not too long ago. Yummy.

We've been baking them in a covered casserole dish with a bit of cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and cranberries. Toss in your favorite juice or cider and bake away. Awfully good with a yogurt topping.

I have made mini meatloafs, or really big beef patties, for Bilby, and I am having baked salmon. We are having veggies drizzled with honey and balsamic that are baked in the oven.

Hopefully it’s good!

Damn straight. I love an apple with veggies but usually forget. They've been pretty inexpensive lately. Had a roasted apple and grilled cheese sandwich not too long ago. Yummy.

We've been baking them in a covered casserole dish with a bit of cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and cranberries. Toss in your favorite juice or cider and bake away. Awfully good with a yogurt topping.

I've always put apples on sandwiches and in chicken salad. I never thought to roast them with vegetables. I've really been missing out all this time.

I've always put apples on sandwiches and in chicken salad. I never thought to roast them with vegetables. I've really been missing out all this time.

I sometimes put Granny Smith Apple in my salads, and definitely in stuffing for chicken or turkey, but roasting them? I will try that next time I do my roast veg medley for dinner.

Bit of chill in the air. A little wind, some rain. hmmmnnn.

We're on the coast. Feel like putting together a fish stew. Some cod, bacon, shrimp, clams and mussels, a bit of chopped squid, left over halibut. Clams juice, tabasco, potatoes, onions and chives, bit of corn, cream, cilantro. Brown that which likes fire. Mix. Heat. Set aside to just long enough to complete marriage of things. Warm hard bread slavored with butter. Don huge bib. Engage spoon. Yum.

We're on the coast. Feel like putting together a fish stew. Some cod, bacon, shrimp, clams and mussels, a bit of chopped squid, left over halibut. Clams juice, tabasco, potatoes, onions and chives, bit of corn, cream, cilantro. Brown that which likes fire. Mix. Heat. Set aside to just long enough to complete marriage of things. Warm hard bread slavored with butter. Don huge bib. Engage spoon. Yum.

Cold and rainy here, too. I've never been able to find a fish soup recipe that I like. How do you make it?

Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Squares. Partner made them out of the blue, I did not object.

Cold and rainy here, too. I've never been able to find a fish soup recipe that I like. How do you make it?

We store left over fish parts, bones, gills, heads, in freezer. Break them out. Pot them with favorite herbs, fennel, oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, olive oil, with drops of water, cover for five minutes or so. Strain solids, set to side.

We prefer rockfish to either salmon or tuna and just we use a bit of halibut for executive touch. One can use all these fish and more if one wants to make a stew. Depending on tastes one can add mussels (separate prep), and shrimp cocked in shell (separate prep) then peeled and shelled for soup. One can leave shells on for added fun eating.

Heated pan dissolve 1/8 lb butter with light salt and pepper flakes finish with cup of favorite white wine - we usually use Pino Gris for its sweetness - then add fish less than five minutes at medium or even low heat -just a bit of browning. Cook veggies of choice (we use firm potatoes, corn, celery, white onions, and a couple roma tomatoes. Finish covered over low heat until celery and potatoes are tender and tomatoes fall apart. Remove. Mix fish bone liquid, fish and shellfish, and vegetables. Blend over low heat for a couple minutes. Garnish with rich hard cheddar of choice and serve with toasted hard bread of choice, we use sour dough.

enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom