• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

One of these days I'll try adding some ww flour and see how much it effects the rise. Those little shards of bran are said to cut into the gluten development. I'd love to try making sourdough bread, but don't you need to tend to the starter often to keep it alive? It seems like having to take care of a pet. Although now that I'm retired and can bake 2 or 3 times a week it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
My starter sits for a week in the fridge and still works fine. It's supposed to be revived the day before but I've never had a problem.

And it is certainly not possible to get the same rise with ww flour. 50% is as far as I go. Makes absolutely the best toast you will ever eat.

Tonight Bilby is having Honey/mustard/soy chicken breast, sliced into 2cm slices, and cooked in the oven.

I am having chilli/lime salmon also baked in the oven.

These are being served with a salad of cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, sundried tomatoes, chargrilled and marinated capsicum, and dill pickle. It is a nice salad.

A big bowl of fish stew to add some zing to a cold, rainy day.
Fish Stew, 11-13-20.jpg

In large sauce pan -
1/4 cup olive oil
8 oz. white potatoes, chopped

When potatoes start to brown, add -
1/4 med. yellow onion, 1/2" chopped
1 tsp tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, coarse chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp sweet paprika

Deglaze with 1/4 cup chardonnay. Add -
~ 2 cups boiling water
2 dried bay leaves
1/2 red and/or yellow bell peppers, coarse chopped
1/2 cup green cabbage, coarse chopped
1 tbsp. dried wakame seaweed
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp. oil from canned sardines (or clam juice if that's all you have)

Let simmer, half-covered, for ~15 minutes. Add -
more boiling water as needed
~ 1/3 pound firm, white, fish fillet in ~ 1" chunks

Let simmer on med-low ~ 15 minutes. Add -
1 tsp psyllium husk powder (or other thickener)

I wouldn't want to offend any vegans but Thursday night, we had the most delicious, grilled organically raised baby back rips, with awesome baked sweet potatoes and lemon/butter asparagus.

Then last night, my chef grilled me a filet mignon with sweet corn and fresh steamed broccoli for sides.

For lunch, it will be another Amy's frozen vegan dinner to make up for my meat consumption. :)

Right now, I'm munching on a new variety of apple. Yummy. They are called Kiku, so if you see them in the grocery store, I highly recommend them.

Fall is finally here! We got a really gorgeous butternut squash in our grocery order, so I turned it into a hearty soup and served it up with salad and a baguette. Our wine club had also provided, so we shared a bottle of Chardonnay from Leo Steen Wines over on the other side of the Bay. Not usually my favorite type of wine, but it was actually pretty good.

Fall is finally here! We got a really gorgeous butternut squash in our grocery order, so I turned it into a hearty soup and served it up with salad and a baguette. Our wine club had also provided, so we shared a bottle of Chardonnay from Leo Steen Wines over on the other side of the Bay. Not usually my favorite type of wine, but it was actually pretty good.

How do you know a gorgeous butternut squash when you see one? They're my favorite squash and this time of year the price is right. They also keep a long time. I just cut one in quarters and bake at 350F for 1 hour with some olive oil, brown sugar, and allspice. But what makes one better than the other?

How do you know a gorgeous butternut squash when you see one? They're my favorite squash and this time of year the price is right. They also keep a long time. I just cut one in quarters and bake at 350F for 1 hour with some olive oil, brown sugar, and allspice. But what makes one better than the other?

Well, they're good all year. But a really good one will be bright and vibrant inside, with seeds that look like they could still turn into a plant given the chance. It will likely be more full and sweet in flavor as well. If there's any way to tell ahead of time what kind of squash you've got just by looking from the outside, I don't know it. Provided it's ripe, they all look the same to me until they're opened.

I made a simple Gochujang recipe this morning. It turned out pretty well but I could only find a shoddy Soybean Miso as the base. At some point I might take a stab at doing the Miso from scratch.

Cheese tortellini with kale from the garden, minced oil-cured olives and toased sunflower seeds

We had another delicious vegetable quiche last night, lovingly hand made by the man of the house. We've been having quiche Sundays for the last couple of months but I think we need a break from that so perhaps a new tradition will start next Sunday.

Today, stir fried shrimp is on the menu, a fairly recent experiment by the cook of the house.

All things being equal it's simply ripeness. If it has any green, usually streaks along its length, it could have ripened more, becoming more sweet and darker orange inside. The flesh will also come away from the skin much easier after baking if it is fully ripe.

Today I wilted some chopped Romaine, added a drained can of tuna, then two tablespoons of Italian dressing. First try on this, simple and delicious.

All things being equal it's simply ripeness. If it has any green, usually streaks along its length, it could have ripened more, becoming more sweet and darker orange inside. The flesh will also come away from the skin much easier after baking if it is fully ripe.

Today I wilted some chopped Romaine, added a drained can of tuna, then two tablespoons of Italian dressing. First try on this, simple and delicious.

I've been buying squash weekly for years and am not sure I've really noticed any meaningful difference in quality from week to week. Probably there has been a difference, but too inconsequential to notice. I'd think because the flesh is so thick / dense, that squash doesn't really ripen or spoil in the same way that other vegetables do. Once they reach a certain size they're fine to eat.

On the other hand I've now got picking Honeydew and Oranges down to an art form.

Thanks. I'll try that out.

On another topic, you can keep celery fresh longer in the fridge by wrapping it in aluminum foil and placing that in a plastic bag. I leave the bag open on one end and find it will stay crisp and green for several weeks. I only use the tougher outer stalks for soup and only a couple of those per week.

That article is correct in that unripe squash have a shiny appearance. The stem also begins to turn brown when ripe.

Personally, I would never try to peel the squash as pictured. Too much goes to waste. Easiest to cut it lengthwise in half, remove the seeds and then place cut-side down in an electric skillet brushed with olive oil. A fork will easily push through when cooked. Or you can put the pieces in a pot with a touch of water to create steam and cook with lid on until tender. In both cases when done properly the flesh easily separates from the skin.

Tried my first black bean pasta today. Garnished with Rao sensitive sauce, ricotta and a drizzle of olive oil. Not bad.

Lazy eating today. All I've eaten today is microwave chimichangas and raisins.

I bought some nutritional yeast on Amazon to add to Rhea's Chickpea/Kale stew to try to add some cheesy flavor. Really disappointed. I added 2 tablespoons to a bowl and reheated it. It was hardly noticeable. If I had to compare it to the taste of cheese it would be like an extremely stale parmesan. Just slightly tangy, and not in a good way. Strange that the Amazon reviews were mostly very good. Maybe I can use it as a thickener for stew or soup or salad dressings.

Tofu was on sale so I bought 3 pounds of extra firm. Used a half pound in some veg soup with homemade chicken stock. (Also tried adding 1/4 cup nutritional yeast without noticeable effect. :shrug:)

For dinner I threw together this stir fry. Browned some red bell pepper and leeks in olive oil, plus soy sauce, black pepper, sugar, and about 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce. (Oops. Don't forget the tofu: about 1/3 pound, 1/2" cubed and patted dry.) Put 2.75 oz. buckwheat soba noodles into boiling water for 5 minutes, then drained and added to the skillet with some toasted sesame oil. Tossed it a bit and plated into a preheated bowl. For the wine I went with a blend of pinot grigio (that's a bit too bland) and chardonnay (that's a bit too sweet). BTW, the best way to use the white part of leeks is to brown them a bit. It really brings out their sweetness. I think it's the best soba noodle stir fry I've made so far, and I give a lot of credit to the leeks.
Tofu-Soba Stirfry.jpg

Attachments

• Tofu-Soba Stirfry.jpg
    Tofu-Soba Stirfry.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Tofu-Soba Stirfry.jpg
    Tofu-Soba Stirfry.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom