• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes with tangy red gravy (tomato soup, deli mustard, and A1 steak sauce). Three times I planned to make this and three time I reminded myself, while in the store, I need to buy a loaf pan. Finally bought a loaf pan. I need to improve my meatloaf recipe. It's a bit bland. Maybe I'll substitute the ground pork for sage sausage.

I am an omnivore. My boss of four years, whom I have never met, is a vegan. She sent me some chocolate cookies for Christmas, made with black beans. They are really good, I have to say. Not that I'm ready to become vegan, but I'm quite surprised.

I am an omnivore. My boss of four years, whom I have never met, is a vegan. She sent me some chocolate cookies for Christmas, made with black beans. They are really good, I have to say. Not that I'm ready to become vegan, but I'm quite surprised.

One of our favourite restaurants in London is vegan. Great baked goods, too.

Breakfast for dinner again. Oatmeal (not instant!!!) with raisins, brown sugar, and milk; English muffin with boysenberry jam from our local Amish outlet.

New challenge, pork cracklings on its own. Here you can buy just the pork crackling, so I am going to give it a go tonight. :)

I figure I will do the same as I usually do, just not cook it after the initial 40 minutes as there is no meat to cook.

I have made mini meatloafs, or really big beef patties, for Bilby, and I am having baked salmon. We are having veggies drizzled with honey and balsamic that are baked in the oven.

Hopefully it’s good!

My mother used to make mini meatloafs. My brother called them "gut-bombs" and the term stuck.

After a few weeks of Vietnamese, Spicy Fish Sauce, then a few weeks of homemade Gochujang, my wife and I have gone back to a Korean Vinegar Dipping Sauce we made a few months ago. Unfortunately, it had been long enough that I forgot that the recipe called for optional Cilantro, which really adds to it. Anyway, I posted the recipe to Facebook so thought I'd share here, it's a great sauce:

Korean Dipping Sauce.jpg

My sister is a trained chef from a cooking school. She also went to Paris and studied for 6 months as a pastry chef.

At holiday time, she sends boxes of treats. Not just variations of butter cookies. But Stollen, scones, breads, pastry-cookie-things that have no name and melt divinely on the tongue.

Last night for dinner I had pastries. This morning for breakfast - pastries.

I had a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant sandwich for breakfast. Later I plan to roast some vegetables and make some chickpea and kale soup.

Mmmm, maybe I will make an egg to go with these pastries.

Are you making the Happy Making Kale and Chickpea soup?

Mmmm, maybe I will make an egg to go with these pastries.

Are you making the Happy Making Kale and Chickpea soup?

I guess so. I'll be happy to make it. :D I saw that recipe and I think that's how I make it with a few differences. I tend to throw in whatever I have on hand, so chickpeas, kale, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion and maybe tomatoes. i might toss in some brown rice.

We brought home some Italian curbside for the holidays. My fav is pumpkin ravioli in brown butter with pancetta, sage and walnuts. Definitely one of the most delicious dishes I have ever eaten. The lasagna must be made with a thinner pasta, never experienced that either. Along with the poppy seed rolls, nut rolls, fruitcake and other seasonal pastries it's hard not to overeat. Gotta keep the rat brain under control.

And did I mention beans and escarole?

Leftovers. Partner and I were home for Christmas for the first time due to pandemic so attempted our first traditional Christmas dinner. We had a butterball turkey, special bread from a local bakery for stuffing, green beans, caramelized onion / garlic mashed potatoes, fresh cranberry sauce. After my year of becoming a hobbyist cook I was able to execute on the turkey / stuffing pretty much perfectly on the first attempt. It was definitely not over-cooked, but had I taken it out about 5 - 10 minutes sooner it would have been perfect.

When I was browsing around for recipes / instructions someone mentioned taking it out when it hits 150 rather than 165. This is similar to what I do with whole chickens so I figured it couldn't hurt. I aimed for 155 and got it at 160, but it was still pretty good. This ended up being about 30 minutes faster than the suggested cooking time.

So two nights of Christmas dinner in a row.

Tonight I am having ham something for the third night.

Night one was a salad,

Night two, was a mustard curry thingy.
Tonight is something similar.

All the ham is used now, and we will have a couple of meals in the freezer.

Not bad for a free ham!

Yesterday we had salmon. She garnished with mustard, breadcrumbs and a few other ingredients. It was soooooo good I ate it skin and all just like a grizzly. The fillets were individually frozen which made things very easy, just defrost for a day in the fridge.

I'm probably killing the planet but buying a bag of frozen, wild-caught filets from Walmart is the cheapest option with salmon.

I talked my husband/chef into making my favorite thing tonight for New Year's Eve. It's coconut shrimp with an apricot orange dipping sauce. He found a recipe where you bake the shrimp instead of frying it. It's the best coconut shrimp I've ever eaten and I can usually get him to make it for special occasions. Since our wedding anniversary in on Jan. 15th, I might begin to campaign for it again soon.

Yesterday we had salmon. She garnished with mustard, breadcrumbs and a few other ingredients. It was soooooo good I ate it skin and all just like a grizzly. The fillets were individually frozen which made things very easy, just defrost for a day in the fridge.

I'm probably killing the planet but buying a bag of frozen, wild-caught filets from Walmart is the cheapest option with salmon.

Two of our local grocery stores have wonderful fresh salmon, but the fish counter doesn't open until after 9 and due to the pandemic, we only go grocery shopping at 7 to avoid the crowds. Let's face it. Almost everything we humans do is destroying the planet. I think it's pretty hopeless at this point.

Haven't had fondue in a while. Haven't done a cheese fondue in about forever. So, trying a chicken curry/gouda fondue. Throwing in sourdough bread cubes and shrimp.
Should probably start shredding the cheese any time now, actually....

Went out for dog & cat food and treats. And at the specific request of Mrs Elixir, chicken. Skin on, bone in. And pick up a few things so I don't have to go out tomorrow.
Three stores and a laundry list of pet supplies later, no chicken. Not even the kind she didn't want. Empty shelves. Rang the butcher button at Safeway. Young guy came out - said he'd go look. The fear of utter failure was setting in fast as I waited for the kid to come back. So when he did come back and announce his failure, my own didn't hit so hard.
Tried calling Mrs E's phone but it messaged out... what ya gonna do? Small town, not a lot of options. But then - YAHTZEE! I see lobsters in the seafood case - whole lobsters. They NEVER have that. And they looked good.
I know Mrs. Elixir absolutely loves whole lobsters, the ritual of picking them apart and devouring them. Not the budget solution, but hey. I think they're called chicken lobsters at that size anyhow.
So I got a couple small lobsters, thinking it would avert the wrath... took a picture of the empty shelf and case where chicken would have been, and crossed my fingers. She was really happy. They better be good!

Back
Top Bottom