• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

There is a peanut crisis !!!!

My grocery store is devoid of peanuts, apparently the crop was not good due to planting conditions.

I ofud a jar of peanuts in a Walgreens that wett fr around $6.00. Usually around $3.75.
Any shortage in the US would appear to be a local phenomenon.

Here in Queensland, peanut farmers are complaining that a glut of cheap imports (mostly from Argentina) are depressing the farm gate price; The US market is closer to Argentina than the Australian market is, so all things being equal, Americans should have no problem getting all the peanuts they can eat.

If course, if the US is starving local peanut eaters, at the behest of local peanut farmers, that's a whole other thing. It's got precious little to do with "planting conditions", though.

I like simplicity. Given we are in the low 20s I might get s0me tomatoes tomorrow and heat up the oven.

I like simplicity. Given we are in the low 20s I might get s0me tomatoes tomorrow and heat up the oven.

After studying Italian cooking for a while I realized that simple and fresh is the way to go.

North Americans think you need to slather everything with cheese, butter, salt, and complex sauces. But most of the time just cooking things right, and well-thought out seasoning will out-perform.

2 soft white flat breads/tortillas, 2 cooked sausages, 1 1/2 cups of diced roast pork, 6 eggs beaten with seasoning, grated cheese.

lay flat breads into greased Pyrex dish, add chop sausages and pork. Pour in the seasoned beaten eggs, top with grated cheese and cook for around 45 minutes in a 180C oven, or until eggs are cooked and not sloppy. Yummy!

The most complex sauce I make, actually the only one, is to mix cans of crushed, tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tornado sauce. I might add a touch of hot sauce, curry powder, and black pepper

Fresh steamed vegetables with rice do not need any seasoning. I use Jasmine rice which has a distintive flavor.

Dinner today was reheated rice and black beans with my tomato sauce and a few pieces of cheese.

I keep it as simple as possible. I put vegetables in a covered frying pN with a little water. turn up the hAet so the water is just bubbling creating steam.

I keep chicken thighs or small breasts in the freezer in individual bags. I put it frozen into a covered frying pan with a little water making steam. Simple and easy to cook and clean.

I have the chicken with a microwaved potato or rice and beans.

Breakfast scrambled eggs with rice and beans, or a potato. A small amount of an unsweetened bran flakes serial with added raisins..

Sometimes an egg sandwich with ham and cheese. Sometines I boil ehhs on Sundy bight, and have quick easy egg sandwiches with them in the morning. Boiled eggs are good as a smck or on a salad.

I have started keeping frozen corn and green peas. Peas and rice are a good combo, seem to go together. Corn goes with rice and beans.Makes a complete protein.

My pizza is a grilled cheese with my tomato sauce, sometimes with chicken or ham.

Once in a while I'l make a package of ground beef and put it in the refrigerator. My cheeseburger is a grilled cheese with ground beef or just cold like a leftover meatloaf sandwich.

I'll add ground beef to scrambled eggs.

There is a Progresso tomato soup I like. Tomato soup with beans and rice lunch or dinner. Witha small piece of bread and cheese.

I boiled a pot of mushrooms a few days ago. I have then with eggs and tomato soup or on rice

That's the kind of stuff I eat. I never use the oven.

At this point I could never think of going into a fast food burger or pizza place. Or buy alcohol in the grocery store. Or candy or junk food.

My snacks. I just bough a bag of unsweetened dark chocolate baking chips. I'll have a palmfull of peanuts with chocolate or a piece of cheese.

Unfortunately for me I did not get to this point before I developed heart disease.

Tonight we had my version of chicken cacciatore - chicken caccademocrate. Chicken leg and thigh fillets coated in a seasoned flour and seared off in Cassie, with chorizo, a chilli, some fresh tomatoes, red wine, chicken stock and olives. Cook for however long in a 140-150C oven. Serve with crusty bread. Delicious!

I’m trying to replicate a pizza recipe that’s used by restaurants in Old Forge, PA, a small town just a few miles from where I grew up. There are quite a few recipes posted online by others who’ve been on this quest for years. The style is somewhat similar to Detroit pizza: a light, airy, crunchy crust, with a blend of cheeses including Wisconsin brick cheese in addition to the ubiquitous mozzarella and one or two others. Unlike Detroit style, the sauce goes under the cheese.

The process is time-consuming, but not labor intensive. The dough has to rise for three hours, then it’s spread into a pan and allowed to rise for another hour. It’s then parbaked before adding sauce and cheese for the final bake.

My first attempt wasn’t parbaked long enough, but reheating in a 400 degree toaster oven rescued it. The big problem now is the lack of the brick cheese, which is hard to find. I substituted Muenster, but may switch to fontina if I can’t find brick. But it was pretty good for a first attempt.

Broccoli. Simple. Microwaved florets 5 minutes. Sprinkled with extra
sharp cheddar cheese. Microwave 1 more minute. Lots of freshly
ground pepper. Broccoli was cheap, $1.29 a head.

Homemade bread with “Eggs Kejriwal” recipe from NYTimes.

This spicy egg-and-cheese on toast has its roots in the social-club circuit of Mumbai, though chefs in London, New York and Oakland have riffed on it recently, too. The dish is quick and simple, ideal for breakfast or a hearty snack between meals, and can be customized with a variety of cheeses and toppings. To make this updated Eggs Kejriwal, toast good bread and smear it with mustard, then pile on some grated cheese mixed up with chopped up green chiles, red onion and cilantro leaves. Once the cheese is bubbling under the broiler, just slide on a fried egg.

It’s a neat flavorful dish!

Tonight, we had mushroom and onion quiche. Instead of cream, I use 2 percent milk. I mix in a generous tsp of dry mustard, and a generous tsp of garlic powder, a smidgen or two if cayenne, and some splashes of Worcestershire sauce.

It makes great leftover eating.

Served along with a salad.

I wanted some perogies today and remembered that I had some in the freezer. 🤩 I wish they weren't so chewy but other than that, they are delicious.

I am going to attempt to make a Queso dip today. Using this method a friend has shared.

So I dice a tomato and a small amount of onion (about 1/4) and cook until soft. Add a few tablespoons of salsa whatever spice level you like, turn temperature down then put about 1/2 container cream cheese and 1/2 container of sour cream and some grated cheese and heat until melted. Usually some salt and pepper. Maybe a tiny sprinkle of cumin and paprika.

Back
Top Bottom