• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What became of 10 house republicans who voted to impeach

The spoiler alert is that they pretty much all got slaughtered. Especially Liz Cheney.

So it was an obvious lesson for the Republicans but what could also be a free learning experience for the Democrats...is that they might want to take a hard look at their social justice warrioring and perhaps be concerned what the average independent voter actually cares about. I know that is probably difficult when you have isolated yourself from the ordinary people who aren't in Washington.

I predict the lesson will go on deaf ears.
These people lost because of the fascism that is rotting the GOP. This has nothing to do with anything but Trump cult of personality. The people that lost were generally very solid conservatives, actual stalwart conservatives regarding pro-GOP positions and policies. They lost because they voted to impeach the guy that conspired to overrule a Federal Election. That is frightening.

That you think the Dems should worry about this because of Independents is clearly a sign that you have absolutely no understanding of primary politics as the primaries are internal party politics. This isn't about broad political positions, but how a minority of voters in the GOP have taken it over.

we must conclude RVonse does believe Trump had the election stolen.

@RVonse fails to take responsibility for his own statements.
Responsibility for presenting the other side of an OP? And I did not make that youtube video, someone else did, all I did was present it for examination and scrutiny here. Which it got very much of. If like minded people do not have the courage to present another side, who do you think will? Not ever presenting the other side is the surest way to stop the progress of knowledge and truth.

In a math thread, if someone claims 2+2=4 let's be sure to give equal time to the 2nd-grader who's convinced 2+2=5.

I would not have responded to this brainless inanity at all, except for the following Ignoramus's Meme:

Keep in mind the Galaleo's and Newtons of their time were actually right.....even though they seemed like the PCR loons of their day.
Cite? Don't bother Googling for one: Any you find will be from a loon. Galileo was already famous enough at age 25 to get a prestigious Professorship. Newton was even more awesome and sat in the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at age 27.

If I thought we'd get an answer I'd ask RVonse where he dredged up this ridiculous meme. I have seen it before; and regard it as further proof — if any were needed — that we are living in the Age of Stupidity and Ignorance.

Keep in mind the Galaleo's and Newtons of their time were actually right.....even though they seemed like the PCR loons of their day.
Cite? Don't bother Googling for one: Any you find will be from a loon. Galileo was already famous enough at age 25 to get a prestigious Professorship. Newton was even more awesome and sat in the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at age 27.

If I thought we'd get an answer I'd ask RVonse where he dredged up this ridiculous meme. I have seen it before; and regard it as further proof — if any were needed — that we are living in the Age of Stupidity and Ignorance.
Wait... he thought Newton was considered a loon? His loony part was alchemy, but to be fair, it wasn't disproven yet. Otherwise, Newton was a pillar of the science and mathematics community and influential in government, I think he was a Treasurer. Galileo, not quite as institutional icon as Newton, wasn't a loon, but considered a problem by the Church.

I also just love it when people with insane ideas try to cite people with genius ideas that were a bit before their time (or civilization was a bit late for their time). Lizard people run the Earth's banking system. Think I'm crazy? Well they also thought Charles Manson was crazy... wait... not a good one... umm... they thought Einstein was crazy. Think about it!

Wait... he thought Newton was considered a loon? His loony part was alchemy, but to be fair, it wasn't disproven yet. Otherwise, Newton was a pillar of the science and mathematics community and influential in government, I think he was a Treasurer. ...

He was appointed Warden, and later Master of the Royal Mint. I think this was intended partly as a sinecure to give financial reward to this splendid genius, but he took the job seriously, making great strides in combating counterfeiting.

By coincidence I mentioned Newton just minutes ago in a discussion of precious-metal money in the Libertarians are Crazy thread. It was Sir Isaac who set the official exchange rates among gold, silver, and British banknotes — rates that remained in effect for centuries.

That’s a disturbing thing about this place. Proof of the prevalence - or at least the presence - of S&I is constantly in one’s face.
I try to abstain in most cases. As a slow learner, it has taken me years to fully appreciate the futility of trying to “correct” creationists. But not very long ago (7-8 years) I felt it was constructive to engage the political/fiscal/ social conservatives of the day, as they tended to adhere to norms of logic and reason, providing sources for their (misguided IMO) notions of what was right and proper.
Now, the post factual element that was once the exclusive province of right and left wing nutbars, sellers of woo, creationists and flat earthers … that faction now includes MOST of one of the two major American political parties.
I find them even harder to ignore than creos, as they are far more likely to wreak harm upon me, my family, friends and Country.

Returning to the OP's article, How 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump fared in 2022 primaries

• Retired: Adam Kinzinger IL-16, Anthony Gonzalez OH-16, Fred Upton MI-06, John Katko NY-24
  • Lost: Liz Cheney WY-01, Peter Meijer MI-03, Jaime Herrera Beutler WA-03, Tom Rice SC-07
  • Won/Advanced: Dan Newhouse WA-04, David Valadao CA-21
All four losers lost to Trumpies. Two of the retirees retired because of being shoved into the same district as two other incumbent Republicans, and another one retired rather than face a Trumpie (that Trumpie won the primary).
As she sank in the polls in her home state, Cheney continued her high-profile fight against Trump. She was one of the leaders of the House Jan. 6 committee public hearings, and she told CBS News' Robert Costa after she voted Tuesday that the primary is "certainly the beginning of a battle that is going to continue to go on. And as a country, we're facing a moment where our democracy really is under attack and under threat."

In her concession speech, Cheney said, "I have said since Jan. 6, that I will do whatever it takes to ensure Donald Trump is never again anywhere near the Oval Office, and I mean it."

I look at the Trumpie takeover of the Republican Party, and I think that proportional representation would be *great*. It would avoid the problem of getting 100% of the seats by getting 51% of the vote.

I look at the Trumpie takeover of the Republican Party, and I think that proportional representation would be *great*. It would avoid the problem of getting 100% of the seats by getting 51% of the vote.
The new GQP will fight tooth and nail against anything that threatens to further representative government. They are a minority, and only under minority rule do they wield power.

Newton was a pillar of the science and mathematics community and influential in government, I think he was a Treasurer.
He was both Warden and then Master of the Royal Mint, and oversaw the replacement of the much forged, debased and clipped Elizabethan silver coinage with new, less easily copied or clipped coins. The introduction of milled edges to this end is widely attributed as his idea, and that is certainly in keeping with his intelligence and inventiveness.

He also managed the establishment of regional mints to manufacture coinage outside London, thereby reducing transportation costs and overheads.

Both positions were based at the Tower of London, and he was appointed to them by William of Orange in 1696 and 1699 respectively; Technically the position of Master was subordinate to Warden, but it was more highly regarded due to its perks - the Master was paid a commission on all subcontract work undertaken for the Mint, while the Warden merely drew a salary, so the Mastership was a far more lucrative role.

Newton's contemporaries considered him a genius and a man of impeccable trustworthiness and honour; I have no idea how the false claim that he was considered "a loon" came from, but it's certainly a modern defamation of a man who was highly respected (and with good reasons) in his own lifetime.

ETA - I see @Swammerdami got in first. In my defence, it was nighttime here and I was busy inspecting the inside of my eyelids.

Newton's interest in alchemy I wouldn't want to dismiss as kooky, because alchemy was essentially a premodern sort of chemistry. It had lots of metaphysical and mystical flim-flam in it, and some ideas that we now recognize as grossly mistaken, but it must be recognized that chemistry grew out of alchemy, even down to its name.

But he was also interested in interpreting Biblical prophecy, and he wrote an enormous amount on that.

As to his personality, he wasn't a very congenial sort of person, as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom