• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty.

I don't even like basketball, but this series has been really entertaining. I can't recommend it enough.

9/10
My wife and I are huge basketball fans, but we despise the Lakers. Nevertheless we are enjoying this series very much and share your opinion.

Just about done binge watching The 100. Post-apocalyptic scifi, 7 seasons, on netflix. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Just about done binge watching The 100. Post-apocalyptic scifi, 7 seasons, on netflix. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.
I watched the first few seasons of it but then it got kind of boring and repetitive. Did the writers end up having some kind of ideas where they were headed?

I watched the first few seasons of it but then it got kind of boring and repetitive. Did the writers end up having some kind of ideas where they were headed?

It continues to be repetitive in the sense of power-seeking, vengeance, and other human flaws creating unnecessary violence and wars. But I find it interesting because the characters become personally morally challenged by the same things they reject each time. The cycle gets more hi-tech and you find out more some mysteries as the story progresses.

I have to agree about Yellowstone. My lady friends are gaga for the show (or at least, for the tough rugged cowboys depicted on the show, real men that they wish their husbands were), but I have to give props to the show for simultaneously espousing two opposing ideas:

1) Cowboy Life in Montana™ is the best life possible on this Earth, with sweeping vistas just outside your front door, and cute flat-bellied cowboys smiling their mega-watt smiles at any lady in tight jeans and a cowboy hat. You will never be so happy as you will be at a public branding-BBQ-country concert. So if you want to be rugged and handsome and have lots of sex with sexy cowgirls in between sessions of squinting at the Rocky Mountains, then you need to get here poste-haste.

2) If you weren't smart enough to have your great-grandparents born in Montana, then you are not welcome here, so leave your lame avocado toast and your soy-milk lattes and your internet-based side-hustle work-from-home jobs back in the filthy coastal cities where you came from. And if you even try to engage in a conversation with a woman in a bar, she will squint at you and absolutely nail your pathetic life's path based on your haircut and your brand of jeans, then she will crush your balls with her foul-mouthed verbal insults until you question your decision to sell your suburban McMansion back in San Diego and move to a 500-acre ranch with a view of the Rockies, you pathetic twice-divorced cowboy wannabe.

So props to the writers for walking that razor's edge.

My wife tried Yellowstone, but didn't get that interested. We liked the spin off 1923, and are looking forward to the second season

Just binged season one of Our Flag Means Death. Season two is just starting, so it was being promoted, and I figured it might be OK.

It's billed as a comedy, and it really is, but it's also an historical drama that completely ignores history and is deliberately and intentionally anachronistic, and a love story whose central character has abandoned his wife and children, to their apparent relief.

The show tells the story of a wealthy and soft natured English gentleman who, in the early years of the eighteenth century, decides to become a pirate. His crew are inept, and his grasp on what piracy entails is weak. The whole premise shouldn't work at all. But it does. It's absurd in a way that some of the best comedy is absurd - but if you're expecting gags, slapstick, and obvious punchlines, you're mostly going to be disappointed. Mostly it's subtle, except where it's incredibly and deliberately unsubtle.

It's a New Zealand production, so it's probably unsurprising that it's pretty weird.

I thought it was excellent. I imagine it wouldn't be popular at all in the Bible Belt, so that's another point in its favour.

Rather disappointed with the reboot of Fraser. Laugh track too load. Just not that good of writing. Sad.

Yellowstone, season 1 8/10; Everyone raves about this series and whatever channel it runs on has started showing it from the start so in I went. I enjoyed it, the acting, the characters, the plots are all very good, the scenery is breathtaking. But it does seem a lot like the 1980s series Dallas with a touch of the Sopranos thrown in. I'll stick with it.

Bosch: Legacy season 2, 9/10; One of my favorite crime dramas, so glad it is back. Available on Amazon's Freevee, two episodes a week drop on a Friday. I was going to wait until all ten episodes or at leas six episodes before I dove in but I couldn't resist. Such a good series with great characters.

Yellowstone, season 1 8/10; Everyone raves about this series and whatever channel it runs on has started showing it from the start so in I went. I enjoyed it, the acting, the characters, the plots are all very good, the scenery is breathtaking. But it does seem a lot like the 1980s series Dallas with a touch of the Sopranos thrown in. I'll stick with it.

Bosch: Legacy season 2, 9/10; One of my favorite crime dramas, so glad it is back. Available on Amazon's Freevee, two episodes a week drop on a Friday. I was going to wait until all ten episodes or at leas six episodes before I dove in but I couldn't resist. Such a good series with great characters.
Agreed. Have you read the Michael Connelly books?

Agreed. Have you read the Michael Connelly books?

I have not read the books but my wife and mother in-law have and they both really enjoyed them.

Good Omens - Season 2

Stopped watching it. Loved the first season, wanted to love the second one, but it seemed to be a bit derivative and formulaic.

Loki - Season 2

Enjoying this so far.

Good Omens - Season 2

Stopped watching it. Loved the first season, wanted to love the second one, but it seemed to be a bit derivative and formulaic.

I totally love season 1, and expect to watch it many more times over the years. It may be the best adaptation ever.

Season 2 just bored me.

The Take, 8/10; Available on Tubi, this four part British crime drama stars Tom Hardy, Shaun Evans and Brian Cox. At four episodes it's an easy watch and the story clips along at a good pace. The series opens up with violent gangster Freddie (Hardy) being released from a lengthy stretch in prison. He's picked up outside prison by his close cousin Jimmy (Evans) who is not so involved in the criminal underworld but is on the peripheral. Ozzy, (Cox) remains in prison but is still pulling the strings on the outside of the criminal business he runs. The plot lines are very good and intriguing as Freddie and Jimmy's family bond is put to the test as they are subtly pitted against each other by the manipulative Ozzy. Great performances by the cast.

The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments Of All Time

A small documentary series about the title. With commentary from critics, scholars, writers, and directors. Interesting perspective and a source for generating interest in movies I've never heard of before. I highly recommend this one. On IFC.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

Tied in to the recent Godzilla movies. Have to say it is pretty good so far. Monarch is the government agency that investigates and monitors the giant monsters. Part of the show takes place in 2014, after the first appearance of Godzilla, but before Boston gets trashed in King of Monsters, when the world still doesn't know about Monarch or that there are other monsters. A woman finds that her father, presumed dead in a plane crash, had a lot of secrets, including long lost Monarch files. Monarch finds out those files are out there and want them back. Then we switch to the 1950's, and see the first three people discovering the monsters, who's research ends up leading to the creation of Monarch. The two stories are connected as the woman in the present finds out she is the granddaughter of the researchers.

Lot of mysteries so far, and Godzilla has made an appearance or two, as well as some smaller creatures. Only 3 episodes in so far, and looking forward to the rest.

9/10

We started watching Space: 1999. I remember loving it as a kid. Now if I didn't know better I'd swear it was an Erwin Allen show like Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It's so stupid. But entertaining. Zero interest in science accuracy at all and very Erwin special effects.

Back
Top Bottom