• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Fargo, season 1, 8/10; Streaming on Hulu and stars a slew of familiar faces including Martin Freeman, Billy Bob Thornton and Bob Odenkirk. It is a Coen brothers production so plot lines are pretty wild, clever, subtle and not so subtle. Great performances from the ensemble cast keeps the action clipping along nicely. The action takes place in Bemidji, a small town in Minnesota. Thornton plays the part of a psycho killer who creates havoc and causes death to just about everyone he crosses paths with.
Kirsten Dunst is wonderful in season two. Hubby Jesse Plemons isn’t bad either. That series is well worth it.
Fargo, season 2, 6/10; Season 2 starts off really well but it descends into nonsensical drivel towards the end I thought. The final episode ending was underwhelming. Dunst and Plemons were both excellent.

Watching Mrs. Davis about a nun fighting a super intelligent AI that has taken over the world. Just realized ten minutes ago it's about free will. Then five minutes later realized it's also about fascism. I feel like it's my birthday. :)
I have been meaning to try that one!

Turns out it's also about mother issues. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It's such a good show. I know that it is time to end it, and to let the cast and writers move on to other projects but boy, will I miss it.

Just finished the final season. Such a great fucking show!

Pam & Tommy, 6/10; Streaming on Hulu, this critically acclaimed series is about the marriage of Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee and their infamous sex tape. The two lead actors, Lily James and Sebastian Stan were very good. The series has some interesting material (if true) about how the Lees tried to suppress the free distribution of the explicit sex tape and how the law was not on their side. The way Pamela was treated seems unfair and cruel and you feel a certain amount of sympathy for her. But then again, almost all of the people in their sphere are just obnoxious assholes so you are left thinking, oh well.

I'm watching The Diplomat on Netflix. I love it! The lead is Keri Russell, who starred on The Americans.

Lots of series have been made about White House or other high U.S. office. West Wing was good, but took itself a bit too seriously. Some of the other shows were almost just slapstick. The Diplomat is a perfect compromise. Cerebral and humorous. Enjoy!
Just watched episode 1. It depicted serious events in a serious tone, but also caused me to burst out laughing several times. So far, well written and acted; we’re looking forward to episode 2, hopefully tonight.

I just got three months of Apple TV for free because I got a new tv from Best Buy. I've started watching Foundation, the Asimov inspired series. It's been forty years since I've read the books and I frankly remember very little of them now. I can't say how well the series is following the books but the visuals are quite stunning. Especially on a 4k OLED tv (brag).

I tried to watch my Star Trek TNG but my blu-ray player croaked. No matter what button I pressed on the remote I got the hated "This operation is not available" message. I couldn't even press the play button. Play is not allowed!

So I connected my old non-4K Blu-ray player up and watching TNG now.

But I ordered a new 4K player on Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. A Panasonic DP-UB820 which is a step up from the one that croaked. It is supposed to have a special mode for contrast and dynamic range for OLED TVs. I have a LG C2 OLED 65"

Looking forward to setting up the player tomorrow.

I just got three months of Apple TV for free because I got a new tv from Best Buy. I've started watching Foundation, the Asimov inspired series. It's been forty years since I've read the books and I frankly remember very little of them now. I can't say how well the series is following the books but the visuals are quite stunning. Especially on a 4k OLED tv (brag).
Tried watching it, but think we quit after the first episode. At that point it had almost nothing to do with the books. The books started with Seldon as a prisoner, being questioned by the person that was really in charge of the Empire. The next story jumped to about 50 years after the colony on Terminus was established, they were being threatened by the 4 kingdoms that were breaking away from the empire, but they had hope because Seldon's tomb had a lot of pre-recorded messages set on timers, and the first one was going to play soon.

8/10

It's a very cool horror series. Its first season is on Amazon Prime right now. I enjoyed it so much I briefly considered getting MGM+ so that I could watch the second season right away, but then decided not to.

I had skipped Ms Marvel because I figured it was intended for a younger audience. But she was referenced for the upcoming The Marvels film, so I figured I needed to tune in. Show has some Hawkeye vibes, with the generally younger protagonist with *insert other characters*. Enjoying the show a lot. Getting to understand why some people are turning away from Marvel with all the not white male stuff. But I'm enjoying it a good deal.

One thing that is brought up a lot is "partition". I am admittedly embarrassed to not have known anything about that very very chaotic, deadly madness. It was India's and Pakistan's "blip" with an untold number of people (200k to 2M) vanishing.

Ms Marvel has a lot of changes from the comics, but I liked the show. Really like her family, especially in the last episode. Looking forward to The Marvels

I'm getting close to done my 2rd run through of Star Trek TNG. It had been several years since I watched TNG start to finish. Next up is Voyager. I like DS9 better than Voyager but I've watched DS9 a lot recently.

I started re-watching Season 2 of TNG, but I'm going at it a tad bit slower, and less than half way through it. Coincidentally saw a clip from a McFadden interview where she was discussing the reasons why she disappeared in Season Two... effectively being she wanted to play a character that wasn't the female nurse with all the guys making the important decisions, and she was quite happily doing a play for much much less money during Season Two. Sounds like a Sarah Pollock sort of mindset, though McFadden was older than Pollock.

Of course Dr. Crusher was highly liked and she made her way back into the fold.

8/10

It's a very cool horror series. Its first season is on Amazon Prime right now. I enjoyed it so much I briefly considered getting MGM+ so that I could watch the second season right away, but then decided not to.
Great show. Really like. Wish that there were more like it. Similar to Lost.

Back
Top Bottom