• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Finally got around to watching the "White Christmas" episode of Black Mirror.

Wow.

For those unaware, Black Mirror is a UK anthology show...sort of a modern take on the Twilight Zone but with technology as the primary focus. Only a handful of episodes, but really well done. Also each one is a separate story so you don't have to binge-watch if you don't want to.

This one, though, is actually three interconnected stories in one episode, told by the two main characters (played by Jon Hamm and Rafe Spall) as they're stuck in some snowy remote outpost on Christmas with little else to do but talk. How it all unfolds is handled very deftly. Like peeling away the layers of an onion while diving down the rabbit hole at the same time.

10/10

Making a Murderer

Holy hell. A friend told me I should watch this. I watched episode 1 on Netflix and my eyes are now bleeding from binge watching the entire season over 2 days.

It's about a man who was wrongfully convicted of rape, but was exonerated and released from prison 18 years later. Upon discovering that the prosecutor and police had information exonerating him when they knew he wasn't guilty, he filed a $36 million dollar lawsuit. It only get worse from there. The man is then arrested for murder. A short while later, his nephew, who has a 4th grade reading capability and an IQ of 70 is arrested as a co-defendant in the murder.

If you ever want to see just how savagely corrupt our legal system can be, see this now.

10/10

Are you saying it's a true story?

Yes. This really happened and is ongoing. Not an ounce of fiction.

F is for Family

This is a new animated Netflix series revolving around a family consisting of a Husband, the main character, and his wife, and their two sons and one daughter. It attempts to depict a realistic version of what family life was like in the 1970s. Dad is angry, tired and disillusioned, as is mom. The oldest son is a lazy druggie. The middle child, the second oldest son, is torn between doing what his dad says and what his older brother says. The daughter is a spoiled princess who gets away with everything because the sons are often getting into so much trouble.

This could have been or could turn out to be a good show. The problem is that it isn't funny, and its realism either goes too far at times, or depending on how you look at it, doesn't go far enough. For example, back then, it was perfectly okay to hit your kid when they talked back to you. It wasn't seen as especially bad by parents and kids unless it was excessively abusive. But in this show, the oldest kid actually calls his dad a fucking asshole and while the dad has threatened to throw the kid through the wall, he ends up doing nothing but walking away. Sorry, but if the show wants to be internally consistent, one of two things needs to happen.

1. The kid needs to get smacked; or
2. The kid can't say things like that to his dad due to the fear of getting thrown through the damn wall.

#1 wouldn't work because that would force the writing down a path that is decidedly not comedic, so #2 is the only solution.

Also, the profanity in this show is really gratuitous. Yes, kids swear a lot and I personally earned a masters in profanity by the time I was 10 due to hearing it from my dad and older brother. But it's poorly done here.

This show has lots of problems that are easily fixable, but as always, it's a question of if they get fixed and how soon.

4/10

Childhood's End
5/10

The production values are very good, but it's based on an Arthur C Clarke story, so bad science, giant plot holes, and a vague ending open to interpretation. Meh. The only reason I scored it as high as 5/10 was the production.

Childhood's End
5/10

The production values are very good, but it's based on an Arthur C Clarke story, so bad science, giant plot holes, and a vague ending open to interpretation. Meh. The only reason I scored it as high as 5/10 was the production.

Cool. I love this book. One of my favourites. I'll definitely see this

Alias - 7/10

Old 90's show on Netflix with Jennifer Gardner as a CIA spy. Pretty entertaining and while there are plot holes large enough to drive a truck through most of the time, it's fun to watch and Gardner is always running around in tight clothes and kicking people in the face, which is a plus. It's sort of like a slightly more grown-up version of Buffy with evil Russians instead of evil vampires.

Durarara!! - 7/10

Normally, slice of life anime is directed at girls or women. Not that I mind. I do watch the girly slice of life stuff and enjoy it, but this show is either gender neutral or male-centric slice of life, which makes it bizarre and interesting. It's obviously directed at a younger audience, which is why I only gave it seven of ten, but it is delightfully silly and surreal, as slice of life should be.

Finally got around to watching the "White Christmas" episode of Black Mirror.

Wow.

For those unaware, Black Mirror is a UK anthology show...sort of a modern take on the Twilight Zone but with technology as the primary focus. Only a handful of episodes, but really well done. Also each one is a separate story so you don't have to binge-watch if you don't want to.

This one, though, is actually three interconnected stories in one episode, told by the two main characters (played by Jon Hamm and Rafe Spall) as they're stuck in some snowy remote outpost on Christmas with little else to do but talk. How it all unfolds is handled very deftly. Like peeling away the layers of an onion while diving down the rabbit hole at the same time.

10/10

Thank you Ford! I just watched the first three episodes. They are great!

Just heard that Netflix is making another season of Black Mirror this year.

I started watching Shades of Blue. Ray Liotta and Jennifer Lopez star in the cop drama. It's so-so. Lopez is stunning to look at and Liotta lends some grit to what is really a pretty bland cop effort. And now that I know Ryan Seacrest is a producer, it kind of taints it for me.

Narcos on Netflix is decent but you have to pay attention as the dialogue can get muffled and switching languages (English to Spanish) means subtitle are used often.

Alias - 7/10

Old 90's show on Netflix with Jennifer Gardner as a CIA spy. Pretty entertaining and while there are plot holes large enough to drive a truck through most of the time, it's fun to watch and Gardner is always running around in tight clothes and kicking people in the face, which is a plus. It's sort of like a slightly more grown-up version of Buffy with evil Russians instead of evil vampires.

I really enjoyed Alias, though it greatly suffered from JJ's weakness of not really thinking his stories through. Similarly with Lost.

Alias - 7/10

I really enjoyed Alias, though it greatly suffered from JJ's weakness of not really thinking his stories through. Similarly with Lost.

Totally agree with your analysis. I hope that Fringe has a better ending! I'm in the fifth season.

The Shannara Chronicles 7/10 (so far)

Given that this first adaptation of Terry Brooks' Shannara series is airing on MTV, I had low expectations for it. I was pleasantly surprised, though there are many issues for a fan of the book series. This adaptation is based on The Elfstones of Shannara, giving the first novel, The Sword of Shannara a pass for some reason. Since there were originally two generations between these two novels in the series, I can see why they might have done that, but for some reason they decided to condense it to a single generation in the backstory. There are a number of other changes from the source material, but first I want to talk about the production, for those who may not have read the novels. The cinematography is very good, the world of Shanarrah is lush and vibrant, and the visuals (at least in the first couple of episodes) are impressive on a large high-def TV. Acting from the main characters is top notch, though some of the supporting characters are wooden. Austin Butler was a good choice for Will, he does a convincing job of making Will seem very unsure of himself, and stumbling through the initial events that he is fated to play a part in. Poppy Drayton also does a good job at portraying Amberle, though the character is not as well written as is Will, she fits the role well. I just wish they hadn't made so many changes to her story line. Ivana Baquero is great in the role of Eretria, and is one of the standout performances thus far, for me. You really get a feel for her strengths and weaknesses. Her portrayal in Pan's Labyrinth was critically acclaimed, and it is good to see that she is still a great actress now that she is in her 20's. Manu Bennett was the perfect choice for Allanon, and makes the character feel like a bit more of a bad-ass than in the novels, given his previous excellent portrayals of Crixus in Spartacus, and Deathstroke in Arrow. The oddest actor selection for me is John Rhys-Davies as the Elven King Eventine. He just doesn't have an Elvish physique, but what the hell, he's still John Rhys-Davies, so he does a great job with the role he is given. Most of the supporting Elven cast leave something to be desired, and in particular Daniel MacPherson as Prince Arlon is simply not convincing to me. There is little passion in his role, but then again, I don't think his character is written very well, either. As his role should be expanded as the series continues on, hopefully there are better things to come for the actor, and the role.

As alluded to at the onset, the score I gave is due mostly to the production values. I can't say enough about how good this series looks. I am talking Game of Thrones, or Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings quality in a cable TV series. I didn't know MTV had something like this in them. It is what will keep me tuning back in, as the story is not very faithful to the novel, but I don't want to spoil anything:

It starts at the very beginning, where they decided to make the Chosen have to win a race to become Chosen. I almost tuned out right then and there, it was just so cliche, and so far afield from the book. Only the lush visuals kept me watching, and a hope that things would get better. The events leading up to Amberle's leaving home are condensed to apparently just a few days, which was not a problem for me, as I thought that part of the book dragged a bit. Also, the way Will and Eretria meet is changed significantly, but Austin Butler and Ivana Baquero in these roles make it just feel right. I also want to stop here, and note that I am so far disappointed by the way Trolls are portrayed in the series thus far. We don't get to see much of them in the first two-part episode, so maybe this will improve, but they just don't seem very Trollish to me. It makes me wonder, though, how the other races will look. So far, Elves are just Humans with pointy ears, and Trolls are just humans with deforming facial mutations hiding behind gas masks. Another issue fans of the novels may have is the way the Rovers are depicted. They are less like Gypsies, and more straight forward bandits.

Probably the second largest issue for me, after the stupid race at the beginning, is that Allanon is given a romantic relationship with King Eventine's daughter, which never happened in the books. I don't even think they mention that Eventive had a daughter in the books. It is barely explained, and the explanation does not seem to jive with with the provided timeline, as the relationship apparently came to head 20 years in the past, whereas Allanon has been in the Druid Sleep for 30 years. It is all very rushed, and feels tacked on, as we meet Eventine's daughter, and she is promptly killed off, all in about the space of ten minutes at the end of the second episode.

So, to sum up, fans of the books may be disappointed by liberties taken with the story line, at least in the first couple of episodes, but the quality of production more than makes up for it in my opinion. I just hope that the production continues to hold up as the season progresses, and the story gets on track now that the character introductions are all dispensed with. The next potential drop off for me will be when the Elves begin defending their lands against the Demons. There should be some epic battle scenes, and if they are not well done, I may lose interest.

ETA: When I originally read the first Shannara series 20+ years ago, I did not get the sense that it was post apocalyptic, and this does not become apparent in the books (at least for me) until the two prequel series'. This adaptation makes it very apparent that Shannara is post apocalyptic Earth.

I know I read those books, but I can't remember them at all. Except for the serial killer guy and the train sized centipede.

Just heard that Netflix is making another season of Black Mirror this year.

Watched Season 1/Episode 1 of Black Mirror last night. Didn't see that coming (no pun intended). I'll have to watch a couple more before figuring out if it's what I'm looking for.

I've started watching "Star Wars Rebels." Reasonably good from the plot and character point of view. Not a lot of real danger or tension, but par for the course for children's fare. The animation is not all that great. What I like the best is that the animators use images from the concept art for star wars that didn't make it into the movies. Various character, vehicle, and uniform designs are recognizable from the published sketchbooks of concept art. It adds a layer of richness to what would otherwise be fairly generic.

HUMANS: 6/10, tentatively maybe a 7.

this is a BBC show, being broadcast in the US by AMC for some inexplicable reason.
it's a fairly by-the-numbers setup: humanoid androids called Synths have become a common household item, but some of them might be going and getting all AI up in our shit.
a lot of the beats are incredibly familiar and predictable to anyone with even a passing knowledge of sci-fi literature and movies, but the show is well written and well acted enough that it makes the journey pleasant even if the scenery is a cliche and the destination is one you've been to a dozen times already.

I give Humans a solid 7/10. I am surprised by its low ratings in the US. In the UK, it is among the most watched shows in decades. I think the writing and acting are excellent. While at the general level, the plot is derivative, it is less so in its details.

Below are minor "spoilers", though they really are just broad brush strokes about what I think is very good about the show in terms of the general nature of Synth consciousness and the psychology of the humans. These are made clear early on. If you've seen Season 1, nothing to fear. IF you haven't yet decided to watch, this might sway you to invest the time.

Emotion and full self-awareness are likely inseparable in organisms. Most recent neuroscience supports a model of emotion in which it is essentially subjective awareness of one's bodily states and the ability to separate input from the body from input via the senses about the external world. Humans hasn't gotten into that level of the science, but it does present self-aware consciousness and emotion as going together, unlike lots of other sci-fi that wrongly presumes emotion is some special human-only quality but self-awareness can occur in emotion-less machines that are therefore single-minded and unemphatic in their goals. In Humans, the Synths with awareness experience unique emotions and thus vary in their goals and their ideas about humans.

Humans also does a good job being psychological realistic about human reactions to the Synths, with anti-synth bigotry and hatred growing among the poor and working class who view them as job-stealers. This scenario of pragmatic fear leading to ideological hate is independent of any fears about the Synths being potentially self-aware and dangerous, which most people are not aware or suspicious of so far (the fictional world seems to be one where the movie Terminator does not exist).

Drunk History 7/10

Great idea for a show; interview extremely drunk regular people off the street and have them explain something historical, and then have A-list Hollywood actors act it out. The drunkards get a lot of the details wrong, which is the hilarity of it.

A boring bit about it is that it seems to only be American history, which... ok fine... but there's quite a lot from history which also is interesting. That would make great stories.

Last Ship (2/10)

So I watched all three seasons of this (I jumped a bit in the episodes). I don't know why I kept watching it or why I cared to see how it ended. It's completely idiotic. The basic story is great. The world is ravaged by a pandemic decimating the world and all the world's governments have collapsed. While society still was intact a warship was sent on a research mission and has been isolated for three months in the Arctic. When they are on their way back they notice how things have gone tits up. All the world's governments have collapsed and it's complete anarchy. On the ship they also have all the research facilities and staff to come up with a cure. They have to figure out what to do next. So far so good.

Here's what's bad with it. It's "USA saves the day". As soon as anybody speaks with an American accent you know they're good guys. Anybody speaking in a foreign language or with an accent you know they're evil. It's on that level. And the evil of the bad guys knows no bounds. There's a couple of semi-interesting plot twists. But none of them are executed especially well. The level of it is also dumb. Ok, so the president swears on the Bible that he'll be a good president and defend the constitution. Oh, well, then it's all fine and dandy then and we know he won't abuse his power or make himself a dictator. Of course he won't because he's good looking and talks with an American accent = good guy. So much of this series is mind-numbingly idiotic. This series taught me that all Arabs/Muslims are fanatic fundamentalist terrorists who always fight to the death. Love the oriental music that always plays when an Arab is on camera. So incredibly lame and stupid. I also learned that anybody British is a cockney thug plotting to overthrow America by giving disease infected teddy bears to little children. I never understood that entire story arc. A very kick-the-dog theme. Ok, I get it, bad guys. Way to hammer it home. All Russians are psychopaths. They dropped an atomic bomb on France wiping out everybody in the entire country because they wanted to scare the ship a bit. I mean... really. You don't think that's over-playing the evil?

In every episode, like clockwork, there's a thing that breaks ten minutes in. That they then have to spend the rest of the episode fixing that causes problems. They also manage to fix it just a few seconds before some complete disaster that will spell doom for the ship. So every episode has an extremely predictable pattern to it. Which ends up being boring. Which is a shame, because the series has a progressive story arc. The captain takes stupid risks with the ship all the time. Gets boring after a while.

The only interesting character is the main scientist on the ship. She's clearly a self-obsessed narcissist who doesn't understand or care how many toes she trods on. Just a bitch who gets shit done. She's a good guy without being an angel. Which I liked. But there was so much else that didn't work in this series.

I think it was made for children. I don't think anybody over the age of twelve will enjoy this. It's just too dumb.

Last Ship (2/10)

Here's what's bad with it. It's "USA saves the day". As soon as anybody speaks with an American accent you know they're good guys.

Except for the British-speaking Dr. Rachel Scott. And the British-speaking Sam Spruel who started off as a Russian mole but died heroically. And Lieutenant Bivas, a member of the Israeli Defense Forces who joined the Nathan James. And the Jamaican Bertrise who was immune from the disease, allowing the scientist to develop a serum with her antibodies. And the American-speaking Granderson who was trying to rebuild society by killing off anyone who didn't have advanced education/skills, using the dead bodies to power Baltimore.

I also learned that anybody British is a cockney thug plotting to overthrow America by giving disease infected teddy bears to little children. I never understood that entire story arc. A very kick-the-dog theme.

They learned they were immune to the disease, so they searched for camps of non-immune survivors with the intent to infect them and finish them off. The the Immunes can take over as the Master Race.

Texas Rising

Alright boys, we have $20 million to make a 5 episode miniseries about the Texan fight for Independence.

Oh great! We can do an episode for the Alamo.

Nope, we start after the Alamo.

Really? Won't that make it difficult to fill in 6 or so hours of programming.

Not if we insert useless characters!

Oh, alright.

Good news on the writing front. We have an Oscar winning writer, but only for about 1 hour of his time.

Okay, have him write all of Paxton stuff. We'll get a Hallmark Channel go to for the rest.

Won't that make it campy, predictable, and fake?

Look, we have stockholders to please, we can't be towing anything that is too Historical. We aren't the History Channel.

Umm... yes we are.

Doesn't matter. We will insert needless characters that may not have even existed, make up a whole bunch of other crap. And we'll use in your face type of emotional manipulation to make the viewer think they saw something of worth.

2 weeks later

What do we have?

Houston repeatedly avoids the Mexican Army, his army wants to hang him. He wins war.

Seems kind of thin.

Don't worry. We have a dozen or so of unimportant side characters we'll have say buzz phrases. We'll kill off a person here and there, for no reason.

So we have about 75% of the show will be completely unnecessary, made up, and entirely non-historical.

Probably 85% sir.

Get Paxton on the horn. We start filming tomorrow!

1 of 4

Back
Top Bottom