• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Star Wars VII - The Revenue Awakens (spoilers, but I was the last human to see it so that shouldn't be trouble)
And I keep waiting for this fucking superhero horseshit to end, but they keep cranking them out, and people keep paying to see them. I remember when serious dramas with deep characters dealing with human issues used to be shown in trailers at the movie theaters. Now it's all Boom! Sccchwweeeew!Crash! eye candy while half the audience sits slack-jawed with drool dripping out the corners of their mouths.
Don't quite follow here. There have been really bad super hero movies, like Fantastic Four, boring ones like Superman, and then some pretty solid stuff like Avengers and X-Men got back on pace too, and the Nolan Batman trilogy was 2/3's awesome. There have been some mediocre ones, Ironman 2 and 3 as well, but Super Hero movies have had a Renaissance as of the last 10 years. Used to be a time they weren't worth watching at all.

Star Wars VII - The Revenue Awakens (spoilers, but I was the last human to see it so that shouldn't be trouble)

That honor still belongs to me.

I haven't seen it and I'll only see it if it comes on Netflix or Hulu some day. When all that money can be spent, and when all they can come up with is to remake another movie and just slap a different name on it, then I won't go out of my way to see it.

The film industry is in a bad way these days. At any time in American filmmaking history has formula been so popular? They could have have great writers come in and do something special with this flick, but they didn't. The main criteria for hiring a writer these days does not involve the variety and depth of what they've done, but rather, how well they can adhere to things that have already done by previous unimaginative writers a million times over.

And I keep waiting for this fucking superhero horseshit to end, but they keep cranking them out, and people keep paying to see them. I remember when serious dramas with deep characters dealing with human issues used to be shown in trailers at the movie theaters. Now it's all Boom! Sccchwweeeew!Crash! eye candy while half the audience sits slack-jawed with drool dripping out the corners of their mouths.

And the comedy? All but dead. I remember when comedies were as consistent a staple as dramas.

https://accidentalhistorian.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/jj-abrams-is-a-terrible-director-and-his-star-wars-movie-is-not-good/

I remember when serious dramas with deep characters dealing with human issues used to be shown in trailers at the movie theaters. Now it's all Boom! Sccchwweeeew!Crash! eye candy while half the audience sits slack-jawed with drool dripping out the corners of their mouths.

And the comedy? All but dead. I remember when comedies were as consistent a staple as dramas.
both comedies and dramas have plenty of play in theaters, and lots of them are being made, they simply aren't the lowest-common-denominator movie goer zeitgeist right now.
bitching about what movie genre is the most popular in the theaters right now is akin to yelling at clouds because you don't like their formation - it's out of your control, and if you just wait a little while it's going to be changing.

Wow... that guy and I have a lot of similar insights on that film. And I had forgotten about one of the other big issues, which the blogger forgot as well.

They try to escape the place on a Tie-Fighter. Those who remember Star Wars IV... Tie Fighters are SHORT-RANGE vessels. Not getting too far.

Oh... and that big huge galactic ship the New Order had, hovering the planet, when the Falcon is trying to now escape? The First Order just decided to give up?

Captain: We lost them sir.
McDonald's Drive Up Order Voice: And we didn't launch any ships after them?
Captain: No.
McDonald's Drive Up Order Voice: Did we maneuver this big ass ship to try and fire a missile or something at them?
Captain: No.
McDonald's Drive Up Order Voice: So we just let them go?
Captain: It'd seem to be so sir.
McDonald's Drive Up Order Voice: *throws tantrum*

I remember when serious dramas with deep characters dealing with human issues used to be shown in trailers at the movie theaters. Now it's all Boom! Sccchwweeeew!Crash! eye candy while half the audience sits slack-jawed with drool dripping out the corners of their mouths.

both comedies and dramas have plenty of play in theaters, and lots of them are being made, they simply aren't the lowest-common-denominator movie goer zeitgeist right now.
bitching about what movie genre is the most popular in the theaters right now is akin to yelling at clouds because you don't like their formation - it's out of your control, and if you just wait a little while it's going to be changing.

I don't know if you've noticed but the indie film market is huge today. Tonnes of great films are being made all the time. More than ever actually. What is different is that they're not mainstream anymore. Get zero marketting. If you make some effort you'll notice there's more quality films made than ever before. It's never been easier or cheaper to make movies.

The Fifth Element 9/10

Ahh, a movie from a different age. No superheroes, fantastic characters, awesome sets & costumes, some solid acting and a storyline that, while a little generic, was not rehashed from a film of the same name made anywhere from 4-30 years before.

I've always had a soft spot for this one and despite being almost 20 years old it has aged remarkably well. I know some people found Chris Tucker's character to be annoying and I get that but it doesn't detract from the film for me. Over the top action, great humour, well paced and just plain fun.

The Fifth Element 9/10

Ahh, a movie from a different age. No superheroes, fantastic characters, awesome sets & costumes, some solid acting and a storyline that, while a little generic, was not rehashed from a film of the same name made anywhere from 4-30 years before.

I've always had a soft spot for this one and despite being almost 20 years old it has aged remarkably well. I know some people found Chris Tucker's character to be annoying and I get that but it doesn't detract from the film for me. Over the top action, great humour, well paced and just plain fun.
The word I think is unique visual presentation. The plot is full of typical archtypes, but the visual and audio (I love Eric Serra soundtracks) presentation is unique and fun.

The Fifth Element 9/10

Every single man I've ever met who watched this movie said it was a good movie until Chris Tucker's character showed up.

Every single woman I've ever met who watched this movie said it was a so-so movie until Chris Tucker's character showed up. Then it was great.

The Fifth Element 9/10

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of my all time favorites! Tucker is annoyingly great! :D

Finally watched The Dirty Dozen. Pretty darn good, not perfect though. 7.5/10. The characters and writing were very good.

The end when...

They killed the mistresses/hookers of the German command as well without any moral qualms was surprising. If a remake were made that kept that aspect I would just about eat my hat.

I have developed a man-crush for Kevin Smith. I'm now binge watching his films. The man is a genius when it comes to observations regarding insecurities.

Clerks 6/10

This is a badly made movie. There's no denying that. The filming is shit and the actors are terrible. But the dialogue is genius. Considering it was made by a group of young amateurs is astonishing. I first saw this when it was new. It's aged very well indeed. Fuck Dante's face annoys me.

Clerks 2 8/10

Holy fucking God (that doesn't exist) is this film funny. I almost died laughing

Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back 6/10

This suffers from a high budget. Smith's funnier when he has to work on a shoestring. Still funny. But mostly it just feels like he's working to hard. Gosh golly Mark Hamill is a terrible actor.

I highly recommend his talks. Loads of them on Youtube. The guy is a great speaker. He's basically a stand up comedian. The one on Prince is fantastic. The amazing thing about them is that his talks are obviously not rehearsed. There's no way he could know in advance what people would ask. This is a guy who thinks amazingly fast on his feet. Which is pretty astonishing considering that he's high on weed most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

Dogma 1/10

Continuing my love fest for Kevin Smith I saw Dogma. What a shit film. It stunk on every level. Usually it's the writing where Kevin Smith sticks out. The dialogue is shit. Overly long writerly monologues that don't deliver. I get that this is a film where he deals with his Catholic upbringing. But for me, I don't need anybody telling me that Christian dogma is incoherent. This is not news and this is no source of comedy IMHO. And it also made the film incoherent. There was no thread to any of it. God is a woman. Ok, who cares? God is trying to stand on her hands. Who gives a fuck? My conclusion is that big budgets is wasted on Kevin Smith. Chris Tucker delivers a stellar performance. Completely wasted on this film. It's on Youtube if you hate yourself and want to feel your life passing you by. Why didn't this film get a Razzie award?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taqUFKBCn8Q

The only thing that is good about it is that Smith went to picket outside his local theatre together with the local church. Fucking funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepgKVOVfZ8

Dogma 1/10

Continuing my love fest for Kevin Smith I saw Dogma. What a shit film. It stunk on every level. Usually it's the writing where Kevin Smith sticks out. The dialogue is shit. Overly long writerly monologues that don't deliver. I get that this is a film where he deals with his Catholic upbringing. But for me, I don't need anybody telling me that Christian dogma is incoherent. This is not news and this is no source of comedy IMHO. And it also made the film incoherent. There was no thread to any of it. God is a woman. Ok, who cares? God is trying to stand on her hands. Who gives a fuck? My conclusion is that big budgets is wasted on Kevin Smith. Chris Tucker delivers a stellar performance. Completely wasted on this film. It's on Youtube if you hate yourself and want to feel your life passing you by. Why didn't this film get a Razzie award?

The only thing that is good about it is that Smith went to picket outside his local theatre together with the local church. Fucking funny

Fuck! Chris Tucker deserved an Oscar for playing the role exactly like Chris Rock would have.

- - - Updated - - -

Captain America Civil War

Just. Fucking. Ace. You may quote me.
Damn Aussies and their early release dates.

Dogma 1/10

Dogma isn't his best film, but I don't think it is quite that bad. Just wait until you get to Jersey Girl. He did get some critical acclaim for the screenplay. Also, $10 million is hardly a big budget, and is just a bit above middle of the road for Smith (his average budget is probably more around $5 million). It is also something of a nod to the German film Wings Of Desire (remade in the US as City of Angels), at least in the first scenes featuring Loki and Bartelby.

I did not find the film to be incoherent at all. Two fallen angels are trying to use a loophole to defy the will of God, and re-enter heaven, thus disproving God's omnipotence if they succeed. The dialogue is not quite as genuine as usual for Smith (at least for his Askewniverse films), but I think that owes to the subject matter and plot.

Dogma 1/10

Dogma isn't his best film, but I don't think it is quite that bad. Just wait until you get to Jersey Girl. He did get some critical acclaim for the screenplay. Also, $10 million is hardly a big budget, and is just a bit above middle of the road for Smith (his average budget is probably more around $5 million). It is also something of a nod to the German film Wings Of Desire (remade in the US as City of Angels), at least in the first scenes featuring Loki and Bartelby.

I did not find the film to be incoherent at all. Two fallen angels are trying to use a loophole to defy the will of God, and re-enter heaven, thus disproving God's omnipotence if they succeed. The dialogue is not quite as genuine as usual for Smith (at least for his Askewniverse films), but I think that owes to the subject matter and plot.

The angels motivations made no sense. Loki seemed to do everything he did because he was a cunt/bored with life. Didn't get Bartleby at all. Seemed to be all over the map. They're angels... I have no way of relating. And Smith didn't make them relatable IMHO. The bit about them becoming human when they lost their wings... dumb as fuck. They could have gone the existential route and tried to explore it. Nope. Just a thing that happened for no reason and that had zero impact on the story. Bartleby killing Loki.. just dumb. No tension. Zero stakes. It just happened.

Ok, so the girl was selected to prevent this because she's the great great.... great grand niece of Jesus. Ok, fine. They just failed to explain why this is relevant.

Also, Jay and Silent Bob are the profets. Ok, fine. But why and how? They failed to explain how being a profet works and what their role is in all this. They actually talk about it in the film. But no resolution. Never answered.

WTF is Rufus doing there? Why did he exist and why is he in the film. Same goes for Salma Hayek's character. Actually... same for all the characters bar Satan. But Satan's kids.. omg that was lame. How was the homeless person relevant in that film? How did the main character figure out she had to kill the homeless guy, and why did this kill her? And God being omnipotent just ruins all of the above even more. God is choosing not to fix this. Ok, why? The explanation in the film is that God goes AWOL sometimes. Ok.. but that's not how omnipotence works. I can drive a jumbo jet through that plot hole.

I thought the entire film was just a list of people doing random things resulting in random and unforseen consequences that ultimately don't matter. And in the end God anyway just shows up and fixes everything. So the entire film was a waste of time. This is the equivalent of a main character waking up in the end and says "it was only a dream". I hate that. At no point in the film did I give a shit about what would happen next. I was bored from start to finish.

The angels motivations made no sense. Loki seemed to do everything he did because he was a cunt/bored with life. Didn't get Bartleby at all. Seemed to be all over the map. They're angels... I have no way of relating. And Smith didn't make them relatable IMHO. The bit about them becoming human when they lost their wings... dumb as fuck. They could have gone the existential route and tried to explore it. Nope. Just a thing that happened for no reason and that had zero impact on the story. Bartleby killing Loki.. just dumb. No tension. Zero stakes. It just happened.

Ok, so the girl was selected to prevent this because she's the great great.... great grand niece of Jesus. Ok, fine. They just failed to explain why this is relevant.

Also, Jay and Silent Bob are the profets. Ok, fine. But why and how? They failed to explain how being a profet works and what their role is in all this. They actually talk about it in the film. But no resolution. Never answered.

WTF is Rufus doing there? Why did he exist and why is he in the film. Same goes for Salma Hayek's character. Actually... same for all the characters bar Satan. But Satan's kids.. omg that was lame. How was the homeless person relevant in that film? How did the main character figure out she had to kill the homeless guy, and why did this kill her? And God being omnipotent just ruins all of the above even more. God is choosing not to fix this. Ok, why? The explanation in the film is that God goes AWOL sometimes. Ok.. but that's not how omnipotence works. I can drive a jumbo jet through that plot hole.

I thought the entire film was just a list of people doing random things resulting in random and unforseen consequences that ultimately don't matter. And in the end God anyway just shows up and fixes everything. So the entire film was a waste of time. This is the equivalent of a main character waking up in the end and says "it was only a dream". I hate that. At no point in the film did I give a shit about what would happen next. I was bored from start to finish.

Certainly there are a few plot holes and plot devices, but then again, this was the first time Smith tried making a movie with an actual plot. If you don't get why the homeless guy was there, then you missed a big part of that plot. The homeless guy was God, and as long as he was in a coma he was trapped in mortal form, unable to use his Godly abilities. In many ways the movie is mirroring the point that it is making about Christianity, there is no explanation that makes sense, you just have to accept that what you are told on faith. The protagonists have to keep the angels from proving that God is not omnipotent to keep them from destroying all that exists, but the fact that they have to do that proves that God is not omnipotent.

Back
Top Bottom