• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Of all the Easter egg videos on the Dr Strange movie, this one seems to be the most detailed.

I don't know why I find Easter egg analysis stop fascinating, but I do.

I wonder if he is gonna get the video pulled since he has Cam footage. Hopefully he won't get a strike.

Eddie The Eagle, 7/10; Stars Hugh Jackman and Taron Egorton in the biopic of GB ski jumper Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards. It's a feel good movie championing underdog Eddie as he attempts to qualify for the GB Olympic team to compete in the 1988 Winter Olympics. I don't know how accurate the movie is but Eddie did qualify and compete in the 1988 winter Olympics, coming in so very last in both events he competed in but Eddie achieved his goal, that of representing GB as an Olympic athlete.

Eddie The Eagle, 7/10; Stars Hugh Jackman and Taron Egorton in the biopic of GB ski jumper Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards. It's a feel good movie championing underdog Eddie as he attempts to qualify for the GB Olympic team to compete in the 1988 Winter Olympics. I don't know how accurate the movie is but Eddie did qualify and compete in the 1988 winter Olympics, coming in so very last in both events he competed in but Eddie achieved his goal, that of representing GB as an Olympic athlete.

I haven't watched a movie in years. Literally. I estimate about 8 years. Last time I saw one in a theater, I believe it was "Titanic", if that dates it.
Is there something wrong with me? (Besides my attention span, that is.)

He did and was THE popular man at the Village. And after that GB created a new rule that you had to actually be competitive at the elite level to make the GB team in ANY sport.

I haven't watched a movie in years. Literally. I estimate about 8 years. Last time I saw one in a theater, I believe it was "Titanic", if that dates it.

If you want to watch a movie in a theater, but you haven't, then yes, there's probably something wrong with you, but it's nothing that a little cab fare to the nearest theater won't fix.

If you don't want to watch a movie in a theater, and you aren't watching them, then there's nothing wrong with you at all.

And Titanic was released in theaters in December 1997, so that's nineteen years ago next month.

I live within walking distance of a multiplex. I don't often walk over there, but sometimes I do.

If I go out to a movie I usually hit up my local discount theater. A few bucks for a ticket, a few bucks for a drink and popcorn, and I wind up enjoying it all for less than the price of a ticket at the multiplex next door.

Last year about this time, I went to see the new Star Wars movie in one of those new theaters. Basically a room full of recliners. It was worth every penny.

Superman v Batman - It is Civil War with fewer characters, not as reasonable and consistent of a plot, rather meaningless showdown / final battle, a fucking infuriatingly transparent and emotionally abusive ending, and a whole lot more shots of Affleck staring and brooding that clearly expose his limited range as an actor.

I've seen Lex Luthor played about the same way by Hackman, Spacey, and that other guy (CBS series). Eisenberg seemed to be more channeling Heath Ledger's The Joker, instead of playing Luthor.

And can someone explain why Luthor isn't turned to dust for blowing up a portion of Congress, but instead just gets a warning from Batman?!

2 of 4

I am the same. I rarely go to the movie theater. The last time I went to a movie theater was to the ArcLight in Hollywood and that was to see the U2 concert in 3D which was released in 2007. I may have taken the kids to a couple of movies since. But it seems I don't really enjoy movies and prefer TV series instead.

Best in Show 9/10: Seen it many times, but just rewatched it with some friends who never saw it. Out loud laughs the whole way through. Possibly even more laughs than This is Spinal Tap, but not as many one liner quotables.

5th Wave 5/10
: It had promise but never delivered. I gave it a chance because ever since I saw Chloë Grace Moretz in "Let Me In" and "Kick-Ass", I've followed her work, but she couldn't make this any more than barely watchable. Considering it is a movie about alien takeover with 4 devastating waves that nearly wipe out humanity, very little actually happens in this movie, because all that excitement is in breif flashbacks.

I wandered over to the multiplex and watched Arrival.

It is a very beautiful movie. The performances are very good, the aliens are intriguing, and it is clear the writers tried very hard to wrap their heads around what it might be like to try and communicate with a species that doesn't think like we do.

That said, I thought the plot device of

China and other countries suddenly becoming belligerent with the aliens wasn't sold very well. There wasn't really a reason given why China and Russia would do what they did...it was just kind of put out there like "well of course they would." It seemed like the studio said "okay you can make your cerebral science fiction movie, but we've got to have some bad guys and at least one explosion or we're not on board." I also thought the end seemed sort of truncated. Like there was another few minutes left on the cutting room floor.

7/10

Legend, 6/10; Stars Tom Hardy as 1960's London gangsters Ronnie and Reggie Kray. This was an OK movie but the dialogue and cockney accent was hard to take after a while. Tom Hardy was excellent in it as was Emily Browning.

Legend, 6/10; Stars Tom Hardy as 1960's London gangsters Ronnie and Reggie Kray. This was an OK movie but the dialogue and cockney accent was hard to take after a while. Tom Hardy was excellent in it as was Emily Browning.

Ooh, I want to watch this. How does he do playing twins?

Ooh, I want to watch this. How does he do playing twins?

It works very well.

Seven Psychopaths
6 out of 7

This movie is not going to be what you expect, but still manages to be quite entertaining. For one thing, it's not so much about the titular seven characters as it is about a writer played by Colin Farrell, who is writing a movie called "Seven Psychopaths"... and even if I detest myopic movies about people making movies, this one holds up rather well. Also the ending is a bit of a twist, it's far more cerebral than you could surmise from the trailers and marketing.

Now You See Me
5/10

Heist movie with magicians. You know from the first scene that there is going to be a twist and will keep guessing who's the real culprit, and actually it is rather simple to figure out. Only thing keeping up the suspense is a nagging feeling that maybe the obvious choice will turn out to be just another layer of misdirection. It didn't, sorry to disappoint. As far as the magic is concerned, the movie relies too much on CGI rather than stage magic, making the whole thing look fake and unimpressive, even mundane. It's decently entertaining to watch once but nothing to crow about, and I hear there is an even worse sequel out there and a third one on the way. Meh.

Prometheus 3/10

This week I've been rewatching films to see if I like them better now. Yesterday was Prometheus. Nope, utter crap. Liked it even less this time. It's all mystery and no pay-off. Lots of pointless scenes. Lots of pointless angry acting. And the psychopath robot being HAL from 2001 has been done to death by now. Please stop.

All the holograms running around. Cool effect but it's essentially tell-don't-show. Could have been better done.

The entire basic premise, this is the origin of humanity story. Also been done to death a million times, way better. Yawn fest. This film added nothing we haven't seen before.

Pro-tip, good science fiction is about today. It's not about the past. It's not about the big questions. It's about today. Just dressed up to give us perspective. Or it won't feel relevant.

Prometheus 3/10

This week I've been rewatching films to see if I like them better now. Yesterday was Prometheus. Nope, utter crap. Liked it even less this time. It's all mystery and no pay-off. Lots of pointless scenes. Lots of pointless angry acting. And the psychopath robot being HAL from 2001 has been done to death by now. Please stop.

All the holograms running around. Cool effect but it's essentially tell-don't-show. Could have been better done.

The entire basic premise, this is the origin of humanity story. Also been done to death a million times, way better. Yawn fest. This film added nothing we haven't seen before.

Pro-tip, good science fiction is about today. It's not about the past. It's not about the big questions. It's about today. Just dressed up to give us perspective. Or it won't feel relevant.

They should at the very least re edit the movie to showcase the real hero:

Black guy flying the ship.

I mean, you've got how many scientists on the mission? And who figures out everything? Black guy flying the ship. He figures out that the place is a weapons depot, finds the ship with the weapons. Decides that the ship needs to be stopped, then takes charge and does what needs to be done.

Black guy flying the ship saved the entire human race, but does he get credit? Nope. Dumb-ass "scientist" comes off as the hero, and goes off to try and talk to the aliens who tried to kill everyone.

Prometheus 3/10

They should at the very least re edit the movie to showcase the real hero:

Black guy flying the ship.

I mean, you've got how many scientists on the mission? And who figures out everything? Black guy flying the ship. He figures out that the place is a weapons depot, finds the ship with the weapons. Decides that the ship needs to be stopped, then takes charge and does what needs to be done.

Black guy flying the ship saved the entire human race, but does he get credit? Nope. Dumb-ass "scientist" comes off as the hero, and goes off to try and talk to the aliens who tried to kill everyone.

What'd you expect? Weyland Corp went cheap on their scientists.

The expedition has a geologist who uses super advanced trackers to map a huge structure, but can't find his way back to the exit.
They have a biologist, that once biological things start happening, actually dealing with alien biological entities, gets scared and wants to go back to the ship, or when he find something that looks like a space cobra, he talks to it and approaches it like a 7 year old with no clue.
The black ship captain should be glad his crew is suicidal and thinks nothing of killing themselves on his word alone (which is bizarre considering the same producer had a space ship crew in Alien who was more realistically willing to abandon ship and get the fuck out). And actually the woman scientist begged him to destroy the ship before it left.

The stupid scientist doesn't come off as a hero, she's comes off as a visibly disturbed widow with a death wish. Christian martyr type who equates herself with 'giving life' and when she can't, gets all blubbery. But hey, at least she knows to run sideways when being chased by a big rolling wheel.

Anyone notice that the Engineers need human like atmosphere to survive...unless they're chasing down the scientist woman across the planet?

Gag, the movie was stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom