• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

A Few Good Men, 7/10; 1992 court room drama starring Tom Cruise as a military lawyer defending two marines in a court martial. The cast includes Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore and of course Kevin Bacon who has been in every movie ever made it seems. As court room dramas go, this is pretty entertaining. Great performances from the cast although Cruise overdoes it a bit but he is still very good. Nicholson commands every scene he appears in.

A Few Good Men, 7/10; 1992 court room drama starring Tom Cruise as a military lawyer defending two marines in a court martial. The cast includes Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore and of course Kevin Bacon who has been in every movie ever made it seems. As court room dramas go, this is pretty entertaining. Great performances from the cast although Cruise overdoes it a bit but he is still very good. Nicholson commands every scene he appears in.

Still one of my favorite movies.

Oblivion 3/10

What an utter bowl of turds. This is sci-fi futuristic bit about a future war between aliens and humans. The big twist at the end is obvious about 30 seconds in. The rest is just a painful trek towards the boring and inevitable. I must admit that I skipped a bit. This film is about 90% filler scenes. There's very little story here. Acting is irrelevant since all the characters are paper thin. It's also a trope-a-ton. The degrees of unimagination and lack of creativity makes it a kind of winner I guess. The only mystery in this film is how the fuck this film got 7/10 stars on IMDB. That boggles the mind.

BTW, figured out the inspiration for the film. It's 70'ies pulp sci-fi book covers. That's all this film is. It's a series of pretty pictures. It just doesn't make a movie. There's no life in this. It's a barren wasteland of emotion.

Labryinth 8/10 1980-something
it's not dated too bad because it is a fantasy, not exactly avatar cgi quality but that doesn't take away from the story
puppets, pretty good ones too
kid loved it
and david bowie

Still one of my favorite movies.

Ditto.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, 6/10; A cast of familiar face including Dames Judy Dench and Maggie Smith and Richard Gere. This is the inevitable sequel and it's OK. The plot is mostly about the main character's attempts to procure another hotel property in order to expand his original Marigold Hotel. The movie struggles to keep coherent a lot of the time.

Rogue One. 6/10.

Passable star wars due to its robes and trimmings, but lacking the joy of the existing seven movies. Good action in the last 30m, and is set immediately before A New Hope. The main droid could be the best character, C3POs evil twin in personality. Vader's voice has gone to hell. And despite an actors death, his character makes a wonderful return. Worth a watch, but maybe not worth a home media buy.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

★★☆☆☆

Good points:

★ Good acting with likeable characters
★ The beasts were very well done

Shit points:

☆ Horrible CGI monster
☆ Two major story arcs that did not belong in the same movie
☆ In Rowling's universe, magic is the all-purpose caulk that fills in all the cracks in the shitty writing
☆ Confusing, disjointed exposition
☆ Disappointing climax

Rogue One. 6/10.

Passable star wars due to its robes and trimmings, but lacking the joy of the existing seven movies. Good action in the last 30m, and is set immediately before A New Hope. The main droid could be the best character, C3POs evil twin in personality. Vader's voice has gone to hell. And despite an actors death, his character makes a wonderful return. Worth a watch, but maybe not worth a home media buy.

Haven't seen it yet, but wanted to say that not all of have seen "joy" in all of the existing seven movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

★★☆☆☆

Good points:

★ Good acting with likeable characters
★ The beasts were very well done

Shit points:

☆ Horrible CGI monster
☆ Two major story arcs that did not belong in the same movie
☆ In Rowling's universe, magic is the all-purpose caulk that fills in all the cracks in the shitty writing
☆ Confusing, disjointed exposition
☆ Disappointing climax

Maybe it's due to my chronic lack of sleep, but I was a little bored when I watched this movie. I really wasn't sure of the point. It's possible this movie exists simply to set up a later movie.

The Martian 10/10

Good hard sci-fi movie about an astronaut stranded on Mars. There's only a couple of hand-waves and only a couple of science mistakes. And those are pretty minor. All in all, a really good solid piece. The best part is how they make the astronaut feel human. Matt Damon does an excellent job.

Even though the film follows the book quite well, they are quite different. And both are excellent in various ways. It's great to have read and seen both. The film made it so much more graphic how starvation effects the body. The book didn't show that as well. But the film didn't show his inner life as well.

Well done Hollywood

The Martian 10/10

Good hard sci-fi movie about an astronaut stranded on Mars. There's only a couple of hand-waves and only a couple of science mistakes. And those are pretty minor. All in all, a really good solid piece. The best part is how they make the astronaut feel human. Matt Damon does an excellent job.

Even though the film follows the book quite well, they are quite different. And both are excellent in various ways. It's great to have read and seen both. The film made it so much more graphic how starvation effects the body. The book didn't show that as well. But the film didn't show his inner life as well.

Well done Hollywood

I agree that it's a good and all too rare example of "hard" science fiction (I hate that we need a special word for what used to be called "science fiction"), but what I found most interesting is that for once, science was presented as the solution to the problems instead of the source of all evil in the world. Usually, when science is discussed as a theme in a Hollywood movie, it's presented as something negative, something harmful because Hollywood wants to appeal to the anti-science sentiment of hippies and rednecks.

The Martian 10/10

Well done Hollywood

I agree that it's a good and all too rare example of "hard" science fiction (I hate that we need a special word for what used to be called "science fiction"), but what I found most interesting is that for once, science was presented as the solution to the problems instead of the source of all evil in the world. Usually, when science is discussed as a theme in a Hollywood movie, it's presented as something negative, something harmful because Hollywood wants to appeal to the anti-science sentiment of hippies and rednecks.

...and to American presidents.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
9/10

Damn good. I look forward to more of these standalone "different, but in the same universe" movies. It was more adult, the action was good, a decided lack of "plot armor," and it beautifully set up episode four.

Bronson 10/10. Wow. Engaged from the start and only got better and didn't stop 'til the end. Tom Hardy is brilliant! I don't know why it took me so long to finally watch this. Crazy. He's a real life, one man fight club. Also, Tom Hardy is naked quite a lot. Amazing performance. Oh, and the sound track is fantastic.

9/10

Damn good. I look forward to more of these standalone "different, but in the same universe" movies. It was more adult, the action was good, a decided lack of "plot armor," and it beautifully set up episode four.

Addendum: one thing I really liked about Rogue One is that the trailers were extremely misleading.

Spoiler:

And if I may say so, the droid's death scene was badass.

9/10

I hope to see this soon. After being very disappointed in Episode 7, I've kind of been pinning my hopes on this one. Some initial reviews have had me worried, though. I am really hoping to like this one, but I hope I haven't set myself up for more disappointment. There is so much potential in the Star Wars universe, it's just a shame to see that flushed down the toilet due to poor screenplay writing and directing. Yes JJ, I'm talking to you...

9/10

I agree. Very good.

Rogue one 9/10

Well... that's how to do a prequel.

I docked a point of the nonsensical plot. That could have been done so much more intelligently. Why didn't Galen just smuggle out the plans from the beginning. Why the convoluted rigmorale of having to go back and forth. Made no sense. Didn't ruin the story. But did made me wonder wtf they were doing.

When I saw the CGI Tarkin I almost peed myself out of joy. That was so cool. I do believe we've now seen the future of film making. Won't be long now before actors will be reduced to voice actors.

Last time Disney proved they could do it. And now they did it. Well done.

Rogue 1: 8/10

A resounding success that paves the way to all kinds of extra Star Wars movies in a never ending New Disney Expanded Universe (Old EU can rest in piece. I'm impressed that the Disney people are showing wisdom enough to first wipe the EU clean, and then pick the best parts for reintroduction)

As a movie, it loses points for the lack of well developed characters. We never spend enough time with anyone, not even our heroine, to create the bond that would have made us truly sad when they all die horribly. (The fact that everyone dies horribly is a definite plus for this film, not because I dislike them, but it shows us the real consequences of this kind of conflict) Beyond that, the settings and art directions were tip-top. It also is full of quotable Star Wars lines, mostly from the droid. "I am taking these prisoners to imprison them...in prison! As far as the great CGI Cushing debate goes, I do not view this as entirely successful. It was apparently good enough that people who weren't aware the man was dead were fooled into thinking he was a real person, but to me after the initial woah I began seeing the tiny uncanny problems very quickly. It wasn't enough to wreck the movie or even the scenes he was in, but it could have benefitted from not having him on the screen as much, a la Jaws. Some people have expressed dislike of spending too much time on Krennic and Tarkin's little power struggle. I didn't mind at all, as the introduction of conflicts within both the Empire and the Alliance will greatly enrich the storytelling for the future. Indeed, the conflict between Tarkin and Krennic ends up costing the Empire big, as Tarkin's epic sniping of Krennic ended up killing the only Imperial who knew that the Death Star had a flaw, thus the Empire's infighting led to its downfall.

Back
Top Bottom