• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Why do they put all their command staff on one shuttle? Rebels should go for that instead of the big gun.

Why do they put all their command staff on one shuttle? Rebels should go for that instead of the big gun.

Wow, you found a plot hole in a Start Wars movie? One whole plot hole?

Is this your first time seeing a Star Wars movie?

Touche, my friend. So I watched it again,(not just for this reason) and it was indeed Hux who made that particular funny.

Anyhoo, it holds up well with a second viewing, though one wonders how many thousands of square miles of floor Finn must have mopped as a stormtrooper to have intimate knowledge of both Snoke's massive star destroyer and the planet wide Starkiller Base. But plot...elidations aside, the movie is best for its characters, propulsive energy, and very good action scenes.

Bright
6/10

Buddy-cop fantasy movie starring Wil Smith on Netflix. The basic idea is to mash together modern day cop movie (which is why they brought the director of Training Day David Ayer on board) with a Tolkienesque world of orcs, elves, magic and prophecies. The way they do it is to take a modern day urban environment as-is, but transplant different fantasy races and just assumption that they've always been there, with racial tensions that are obviously meant to just reflect what us humans have now; the movie doesn't really do a very good job at explaining how in a world where magic is real and humans live alongside orcs, elves and dwarves the world history and culture ended up being exactly the same, but that's not really the point. Sotyrwise, Wil Smith plays a cop who's been paired with a "diversity hire" orc, and they end up tangled with evil coven of elves who want to resurrect the dark lord that was banished from the world some 2000 years ago; and all this is taken matter-of-factly as accepted history, not as some "hidden world" like many vampire or other modern fantasy works tend to do.

The movie stays very true to tropes and cliches of both buddy-cop and fantasy genres, and at least it's something new and a decent way to spend an afternoon, but be warned, the ending is a let down compared to the promising beginning.

The basic idea is to mash together modern day cop movie (which is why they brought the director of Training Day David Ayer on board) ...

Oops, David Ayer was not the director of Training Day, but the writer. He is the director of similarly stylized Harsh Times, Street Kings and End of Watch, as well as the Oscar-winning Suicide Squad.

Bright
6/10

Buddy-cop fantasy movie starring Wil Smith on Netflix. The basic idea is to mash together modern day cop movie (which is why they brought the director of Training Day David Ayer on board) with a Tolkienesque world of orcs, elves, magic and prophecies. The way they do it is to take a modern day urban environment as-is, but transplant different fantasy races and just assumption that they've always been there, with racial tensions that are obviously meant to just reflect what us humans have now; the movie doesn't really do a very good job at explaining how in a world where magic is real and humans live alongside orcs, elves and dwarves the world history and culture ended up being exactly the same, but that's not really the point. Sotyrwise, Wil Smith plays a cop who's been paired with a "diversity hire" orc, and they end up tangled with evil coven of elves who want to resurrect the dark lord that was banished from the world some 2000 years ago; and all this is taken matter-of-factly as accepted history, not as some "hidden world" like many vampire or other modern fantasy works tend to do.

The movie stays very true to tropes and cliches of both buddy-cop and fantasy genres, and at least it's something new and a decent way to spend an afternoon, but be warned, the ending is a let down compared to the promising beginning.

Pretty right-on assessment. Entertaining enough to watch, but you know how it's going to turn out.

You said the movie doesn't really do a good job about explaining how all the races came about. That's not entirely accurate because the movie doesn't bother to explain it all. But I think that's a setup for a sequel or series, as in hoping for an audience reaction of, "But there's so much more we need to know!"

I wouldn't mind a sequel or a well written series. Good escapist stuff, good action scenes.

The Great Wall 2016
8/10
I found it highly entertaining

Also, why have the big gun in the first place? They had Kylo Ren there. Why didn't he just Force open the door like Luke did with the similar door at Jabba's place?

Bright
6/10

God fucking dammit.

There was a time when I looked forward to watching a Wil Smith movie because I knew I was going to get a smart action movie. Back in the day, watching a smart action movie was like finding a white buffalo and you savored the experience. But every Wil Smith movie has remained exactly the same for all these years. The rest of the movie world caught up with that formula and surpassed it, and Hollywood is still making the exact same Wil Smith movie every go-around thinking they will get the same result.

Looks like the guy behind Bright (Mark Landis) hasn't escaped the Wrath of #MeToo:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bright-screenwriter-max-landis-accused-of-sexual-assault

In the early hours Friday morning, Netflix’s official Twitter account sent out a tweet promoting the premiere of Bright, set to debut that day. Anna Akana, an actress who appeared in a Landis-helmed YouTube video titled Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling, responded to the tweet, writing: “Written by a psychopath who sexually abused and assaults women, right? Cool.”

The tweet from Akana, who did not elaborate further, led others to take to Twitter and accuse Landis of sexual misconduct—including Zoe Quinn, a prominent video game developer and artist, who unleashed a Twitter thread directed at Landis that began with: “Sometimes men who commit sexual assault are talented screenwriters and their work comes with baggage. other times, they’re Max Landis.” Quinn further alleged that Landis’ abuse was an “open secret” in Hollywood, and that she’d been withholding the story for a while because “him & his dad are powerful figures.”

Probably should boycot this movie.

No.

Unless the movie is a one-man show, and Landis wrote, produced, directed, filmed, and played every role himself, you really shouldn't boycott a movie just because Landis is a terrible person. Many other people contributed to the film, so you should watch it based on whether or not you think it is a movie that would interest you.

If Landis is really a terrible person, the studios should stop working with him, at which point he will be reduced to one man shows, which it would make perfect sense to boycott.

Sometimes terrible people create wonderful art. And if I want to see a movie with centaur cops, Bright is the only game in town.

No.

Unless the movie is a one-man show, and Landis wrote, produced, directed, filmed, and played every role himself, you really shouldn't boycott a movie just because Landis is a terrible person. Many other people contributed to the film, so you should watch it based on whether or not you think it is a movie that would interest you.

If Landis is really a terrible person, the studios should stop working with him, at which point he will be reduced to one man shows, which it would make perfect sense to boycott.

Well, why would he get a free pass when others, say Mel Gibson with his racist rant aginst Jews, got boycotted and ostracized?

Well, why would he get a free pass when others, say Mel Gibson with his racist rant aginst Jews, got boycotted and ostracized?
because mel gibson got black-listed and then said "well fuck you then i'll do my own thing" and wrote, directed, produced, and distributed his own movies because he was rich enough to do that - he's literally a one man show, and lots of people boycott him.

also, the script for Bright really isn't a max landis screenplay... he wrote the original script, sold it to netflix, they took it and had david ayers rewrite it to the point where landis actually disowned the final product as having nothing to do with his original draft.
so, there's also that.

No.

I haven't refused to watch good Mel Gibson movies either, so I think I am being consistent here.

No.

Looks like it is time to put some salt on the driveway.

Jumanji - 8/10

An updated version of the old Robin Williams movie about a magic game which sucks the players into it. This time, it’s an immersive experience where the players become in game avatars and this weak and skinny guy ends up becoming The Rock.

Quite well done and very funny. I recommend it as a movie for a good laugh.

Back
Top Bottom