• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Wow, not sure where all this came from or how you got it out of a small negative review of a movie but clearly you have some issues you need to work on. I've not been here long enough to know what's up with various posters but I'm getting from you that not praising something afrocentric = racist in your mind? I'll address the meager content in this post...

Underseer is decidedly not representative of posters here insofar as movie-talk goes. I didn't think Wonder Woman was as good as the hype, but still a fun watch. Fortunately for me (and the rest of the world) however, Underseer was kind enough to enlighten me as to what a filthy misogynist I am.

At first I thought he was being over the top sarcastic in an attempt to be funny, but no, he's serious. And it sucks because his bizarre outbursts frequently ruins this thread.

As for addressing him on this, you shouldn't have bothered. Think not just brick wall, but 10' thick, steel reinforced concrete military fortification.

Wow, not sure where all this came from or how you got it out of a small negative review of a movie but clearly you have some issues you need to work on. I've not been here long enough to know what's up with various posters but I'm getting from you that not praising something afrocentric = racist in your mind? I'll address the meager content in this post...

Underseer is decidedly not representative of posters here insofar as movie-talk goes. I didn't think Wonder Woman was as good as the hype, but still a fun watch. Fortunately for me (and the rest of the world) however, Underseer was kind enough to enlighten me as to what a filthy misogynist I am.

At first I thought he was being over the top sarcastic in an attempt to be funny, but no, he's serious. And it sucks because his bizarre outbursts frequently ruins this thread.

As for addressing him on this, you shouldn't have bothered. Think not just brick wall, but 10' thick, steel reinforced concrete military fortification.

I'm sure he had completely innocent reasons for his criticisms. Obviously, I'm an evil social justice warrior who is unfairly attacking someone!

Wow, not sure where all this came from or how you got it out of a small negative review of a movie but clearly you have some issues you need to work on. I've not been here long enough to know what's up with various posters but I'm getting from you that not praising something afrocentric = racist in your mind? I'll address the meager content in this post that can act as a rebuttal after the next quote:
Interesting.

No, that's not at all what my comment was about, but of course you need to erect a straw man to attack.

There are tons of movies made by and for African-Americans and Africans that I think are really fucking horrible. So no, it's not that I think all criticisms of "black" films are automatically racist. However, if you make lame or incoherent criticisms of a film almost universally regarded as an excellent film, then it seems obvious that you are not being honest about why you don't like something.

Nothing we are shown about Killmonger leads him to where he is as an adult. He goes from child whose father has been murdered to a man who rages at the injustices against black people and seeks a reversal of that situation in a blink. But why? What in his life led him to that path? The movie's only justification for his motivations is that he was black in America. And that's why I see it as a stereotypical "angry black man" ... there's no context whatsoever to how he feels and why he believes his idea is a good one ... we're just expected to accept that black people in America as a monolith hate white people and want to rise up and conquer them but only lack the means to do so.

And that's not even getting into how he knows so much about the otherwise super-secret Wakanda beyond the stories of sunsets his father told him as a child.
And here we get to the meat of why you really dislike the movie.

Pretty much everyone understands the beef Killmonger has because most of us have the same beef.

You on the other hand find his complaints completely irrational because that would involve admitting that racism exists and that you benefit from racism. Therefore, the movie must be wrong. Thanks for proving me right.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'm such a Social Justice Warrior that I even criticize Nazis without using "both sides" arguments to make the Nazis seem less bad!

Can you imagine such a thing?

I'mna steal UR free speechs!

Just another triggered broflake.

Last edited:
Would it help if I spell out the motive step by step?

1. Racism exists
  2. Many people believe that racism is a bad thing (because they are evil Social Justice Warriors out to persecute and oppress innocent white people)
  3. Most of those who benefit from racism refuse to do anything to stop making things worse for their victims, for example by denying that there is a problem at all
  4. Therefore, the only way to stop most societies from inflicting racism/colonialism on others is to reverse positions and make them the ruled instead of the rulers

This closely follows the same motive as Magneto, who is widely considered one of the better Marvel villains precisely because his goals are actually noble even if his proposed solution wouldn't actually make anything better.

Similarly, if you bothered reading any reviews or following any of the feedback, you would know that many consider Killmonger the best (or at least one of the best) Marvel villains to date, precisely because his goals are noble and understandable even if his methods would be doomed to fail.

For fuck's sale, they copied the motive wholesale from one of the most famous Marvel villains ever, and I'm supposed to believe it's too hard for you to follow?

It's not as if his motives were that hard to decipher, but apparently it's impossible for certain people to understand. I guess we'll never know why they are unable to understand something that is pretty clear cut. It's almost as if they don't want to understand or have some kind of self-serving motive for not understanding. Not that I would say that is definitely the case, but it sure seems that way.

Nothing we are shown about Killmonger leads him to where he is as an adult. He goes from child whose father has been murdered to a man who rages at the injustices against black people and seeks a reversal of that situation in a blink. But why? What in his life led him to that path? The movie's only justification for his motivations is that he was black in America. And that's why I see it as a stereotypical "angry black man" ... there's no context whatsoever to how he feels and why he believes his idea is a good one ... we're just expected to accept that black people in America as a monolith hate white people and want to rise up and conquer them but only lack the means to do so.

And that's not even getting into how he knows so much about the otherwise super-secret Wakanda beyond the stories of sunsets his father told him as a child.

Well, let me help you out then. The title of the film is Black Panther, not Killmonger. They could have given him the full treatment, like Infinity War did with Thanos, but then the focus of the movie would have been entirely different. We are given enough to establish the character, but much is left to the viewer to connect the dots. Killmonger's father was killed by his own brother, who just so happened to be the King of Wakanda, and even though he was a citizen of Wakanda, he was not given the opportunity to join the most advanced nation in the world. We don't know everything his father told him about Wakanda, there is only one scene that even shows dialogue between the two, and that is a hallucination brought on by the heart-shaped herb. There is no telling what else he learned from his father directly, or possibly from things his father had confided in his mother before his death. He had also been palling around with Klaue for some indeterminate amount of time, and Klaue knew alot about Wakanda.

Yes, being a fatherless black child in the inner city has certainly turned many a young boy into an "angry black man", but we know enough about Killmonger to realize that this is not his only motivation. One only needs to reflect on that knowledge and allow for Killmonger to also have come to this knowledge off screen for us to assign further motivation to flesh out the character. He is angry about how the society he grew up in treats minorities, he is angry that Wakanda exists and can improve the plight of blacks in America while it chooses to hide itself instead, but mostly he is angry that the King of Wakanda, his uncle, killed his father and left him behind to be raised in the crime-ridden inner city.

KeepTalking said:
I'm not sure why you are picking on the CGI either, I certainly did not notice any problems with it. And finally, "drab"? Are you sure you were in the right theater, watching the right movie? The cinematography was, for the most part, vibrant and colorful.

To be fair, I was watching it on Blu-ray on a large TV and not at the theater so that may account for some of it. And the CGI was fine on the city and ships and rhinos ... it was only when the panther suit was in the action that the CGI looked Green Lantern-esque to me. The final fight was so hard to watch because the suit CGI was just that woeful IMO.

I originally saw it on the big screen, but also have it on blu-ray, and have watched it a couple of times in recent weeks on my own entertainment system. I thought the CGI was pretty spectacular in both settings, but then again I am of an age that when I was a youth there was no CGI, and we had to marvel at clay models of people filmed in stop motion for our action scene SFX, and that makes me fairly appreciative of the high quality SFX that we have today with CGI. There are some outlying cases these days, like the Transformers movies where I can barely tell what is going on in the CGI robot fights, but this movie was not one of those cases.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain where you were coming from. I count Black Panther among the best of the MCU movies, but then again Dr. Strange is one of my favorites as well*, so what the hell do I know?

*Dr. Strange is also one of my favorite comics, and I love the trippy visuals in the film, so that may have something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain where you were coming from. I count Black Panther among the best of the MCU movies, but then again Dr. Strange is one of my favorites as well*, so what the hell do I know?

*Dr. Strange is also one of my favorite comics, and I love the trippy visuals in the film, so that may have something to do with it.

You're not alone, I adored Dr. Strange! But yeah, I also loved the comics back in the 80s so I was predisposed to enjoy the film :) I didn't care for the "sling ring" at first but have to admit it makes for a nice explanation and visual for portals.

I'm also pretty out there in my opinions on movies. I hated Civil War and rate Infinity War as slightly better than a middling Marvel movie ;) I tended to prefer the Thor movies and the first Captain America. Spider-Man was better than I expected as well, though I had similar complaints of the Vulture as I do Killmonger. And, of course, I love the DC movies :D Though I'll admit that other than Man of Steel they all have some pretty meh villains as well.

Deadpool - Very over the top (maybe too over the top in a couple spots), but a unique presentation of a super "hero". I can only imagine how hard of a formula this is to keep it fresh and not stale out or just become dumb and repetitive (like as if Will Ferrell played Deadpool). At no point is anything in doubt, though I think the film did puss out once.

Deadpool's girl should have died. There was no reason (shy of James Bond plotage) for her dead body not to be dumped down to Deadpool's feet. Don't get me wrong, glad Inara survived, but the big bad would have killed her.

Question, has Deadpool ever changed the script or an ending or some event in a storyline before because he didn't care for it? I will say, assuming Reynolds was in the suit the entire time, he did a marvelous job of the pantomine.

3 of 4

You're not alone, I adored Dr. Strange! But yeah, I also loved the comics back in the 80s so I was predisposed to enjoy the film :) I didn't care for the "sling ring" at first but have to admit it makes for a nice explanation and visual for portals.

I'm also pretty out there in my opinions on movies. I hated Civil War and rate Infinity War as slightly better than a middling Marvel movie ;) I tended to prefer the Thor movies and the first Captain America. Spider-Man was better than I expected as well, though I had similar complaints of the Vulture as I do Killmonger. And, of course, I love the DC movies :D Though I'll admit that other than Man of Steel they all have some pretty meh villains as well.

For fuck's sake, the motivations were laid out so that a young child could follow it. Most of the motivations were copied wholesale from one of the most famous Marvel characters. On top of that, he was abandoned by the same uncle who killed his father, thus amplifying his anger at Wakanda for not helping the African diaspora more when he knew darned well they had more than enough wealth and power to do so.

The movie did everything possible to spoon feed the motivations to you.

Most people found Killmonger one of the most compelling and sympathetic if not the most of all the MCU villains so far. You seem to have had your white fragility triggered because the character motivation is based on part on the acknowledgement that racism exists and causes people to suffer.

Anyway, I finally saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

8/10

I can see how it would have been novel in 1977 given that most science fiction was not taken seriously and thus relegated to writers/directors/etc of low talent, so I think a lot of the positive reaction people had to it was just the novelty of a science fiction story being treated like an "adult" movie.

Also, back then people weren't quite used to Spielberg's peculiar mix of fear/wonder/confusion, and the concept of a blockbuster was still a new thing.

Don't get me wrong, it was good, but given the way my friends raved about it when it came out, I don't think it was as good as people of that time made it out to be.

One thing I did like is that they hardly showed any aliens or alien spaceships at all, yet still had a compelling movie. I think in this modern age, special effects are cheap and if that movie were made today, there would have been more special effects shots of the aliens and their spaceships, and that would have diminished the impact of the movie.

Anyway, I finally saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

8/10

I can see how it would have been novel in 1977 given that most science fiction was not taken seriously and thus relegated to writers/directors/etc of low talent, so I think a lot of the positive reaction people had to it was just the novelty of a science fiction story being treated like an "adult" movie.

Also, back then people weren't quite used to Spielberg's peculiar mix of fear/wonder/confusion, and the concept of a blockbuster was still a new thing.

Don't get me wrong, it was good, but given the way my friends raved about it when it came out, I don't think it was as good as people of that time made it out to be.

One thing I did like is that they hardly showed any aliens or alien spaceships at all, yet still had a compelling movie. I think in this modern age, special effects are cheap and if that movie were made today, there would have been more special effects shots of the aliens and their spaceships, and that would have diminished the impact of the movie.

I especially love the soundtrack.

Underseer, not every complaint about Black Panther is race based.

Yes, there is a significant overlap between the ‘boycott the NFL because they ain’t bein good niggers’ and the anti-Black Panther crowd, but Black Panther was a bit different, more serious effort than the other films. It had elements that some might not like.

Personally the big bad wasn’t as great as I was led to believe. Certainly he had honorable motives and a viable backstory. So his cause is something one can relate to. But I just didn’t think his plan made the most sense. The other issue was hype. It seems odd that the movie would have hype at all, being the 18th film in the franchise, but it had a near record amount of hype to the point it almost needed to be a religious experience to live up to it.

Regardless, despite lacking lots of humor and all the hype, I thought it was a solid film, not just a great super hero movie. But that doesn’t mean everyone has to agree without their motives relying on racism and misogyny.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
5/10 (or 8/10 if you see this as a cult movie)

I never heard of this movie before, but apparently it's a cult classic. It follows a half American, half Japanese brain surgeon turned international secret agent, scientists and a rock star and his crew, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, who are also in the rock band and have equally weird backstories and quirks, resolve a plot by an space hitler from planet Ten who escaped from a prison in the 8th dimension, which one of Buckaroo's science experiments unlocks. The movie, being made in 1984, has fairly low production values and the plot is an action comedy not unlike modern Marvel or DC franchises, filled with references to Buckaroo's earlier adventures in other movies and comics that fans of the character would recognize and appreciate. All the characters have their own histories and relationships that are not explained unless you are already familiar with the source material.

But the joke is, that Buckaroo Banzai doesn't have a fandom. He only exists in this one movie. There is no source material. The references and inside jokes point nowhere. For example, Jeff Goldblum's character who is another neurosurgeon joins the Cavaliers in the beginning of the movie, and for the rest of the adventure he wears a circus cowboy outfit. Why? Because that's his costume. It's not explained any more than Doctor Strange's cape in Avengers, and nobody questions it because that's just the way this universe works. What makes this movie curiously more relevant now than it was back when it was released how it reflects the current multimilliondollar superhero franchises and shared universes... it's like watching an Avengers or a Justice League movie if you've never read a comic book or seen a superhero movie before, and what a baffling mess it would be. Speaking of which...

Avengers: Infinity War
9/10

Nigh perfect superhero movie. Only hampered by the fact that it's only part one and it wasn't very satisfactory to watch it knowing exactly where it would go and where it would end (even without any spoilers, if you know even a bit about the comics, you're screwed). And it had way too many characters who repeated the same tropes of last minute rescues and sacrificing the master plan to help their friends. Spoilers ahead.

Peter Quill in particular. But I suppose, him punching Thanos wasn't really a problem because Dr. Strange had already seen that the only way to win was to let Thanos get the stones, so whatever Quill did or didn't do had no impact on the end of that particular battle. Another thing that was a bit odd was how Groot made the handle to Stormbreaker. So are we to believe that the handle rolled under Eitr's couch or something and instead of getting the actual handle that was supposed to be in the perfect weapon, Groot just decided to wing it and make the handle out of a twig? That's the weakest part of the weapon and should have splintered the moment Thor hits anything with it!

- - - Updated - - -

Singularity

Why the stupid?

It's about an AI designed by someone with a melodramatic god complex that wipes out nearly every human on earth. Then it cuts to 97 years later, and a small band of humans... blahblahblah. I don't even want to bother describing it any further.

It's a tried and true sci-fi trope and it appears to have had a decent budget. But, for example, why would a person carry a bow and arrow to fight 5 story high killer robots? Why not take a moment to say, "That's obviously stupid so let's not do it."

Why the bad actors? I mean John Cusack's career hasn't been on fire, but he is a decent actor, yet he's just awful in this, as is everyone else.

It's just fucking dumb.

2/10

P.S. I didn't finish watching it.

Watched two today: Moon and Mute, both excellent, same world.

Moon Sam Rockwell. Future where the moon is corporatized for mining. One guy has to man the station up there. Three year contract, has a cool AI assistant who is doctor, cook, mechanic, programmer, and a bunch of other stuff. Two weeks before he goes home but he starts going mad. I enjoyed the twists that I couldn't predict. (Nothing less fun than a movie you can predict.)

The AI voice is Kevin Spacey, who did a wonderful job and might have been the perfect choice except for two things: one, knowing it was obviously Kevin Spacey took me out of complete suspended disbelief, and two, it sounded like he was trying to imitate HAL. Other than that, a most outstanding movie.

Mute, starring Alexander Skarsgård, takes place in the same world, although you wouldn't recognize it as it's on Earth (Berlin) and the only noticeable reference to Moon's storyline is an item that shows up on TV news bits in the background of a bunch of scenes in Mute. Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux also star as two AWOL US military doctors, which at first had a M*A*S*H feel and I thought they'd be the comic relief or something. But, noooooo, nope, nope, nope. No such comedy in this film.

So a kid has an accident that leaves him with no voice. He grows up and falls in love with a beautiful waitress at the club where he's a bartender. She has a secret. She goes missing and he goes on a rampage/investigation to find her. Excellent performances all around. I was riveted from the start and particularly surprised by Paul Rudd.

Watched two today: Moon and Mute, both excellent, same world.

Moon Sam Rockwell. Future where the moon is corporatized for mining. One guy has to man the station up there. Three year contract, has a cool AI assistant who is doctor, cook, mechanic, programmer, and a bunch of other stuff. Two weeks before he goes home but he starts going mad. I enjoyed the twists that I couldn't predict. (Nothing less fun than a movie you can predict.)

The AI voice is Kevin Spacey, who did a wonderful job and might have been the perfect choice except for two things: one, knowing it was obviously Kevin Spacey took me out of complete suspended disbelief, and two, it sounded like he was trying to imitate HAL. Other than that, a most outstanding movie.

Mute, starring Alexander Skarsgård, takes place in the same world, although you wouldn't recognize it as it's on Earth (Berlin) and the only noticeable reference to Moon's storyline is an item that shows up on TV news bits in the background of a bunch of scenes in Mute. Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux also star as two AWOL US military doctors, which at first had a M*A*S*H feel and I thought they'd be the comic relief or something. But, noooooo, nope, nope, nope. No such comedy in this film.

So a kid has an accident that leaves him with no voice. He grows up and falls in love with a beautiful waitress at the club where he's a bartender. She has a secret. She goes missing and he goes on a rampage/investigation to find her. Excellent performances all around. I was riveted from the start and particularly surprised by Paul Rudd.

They're both Duncan Jones' films, aren't they? As a director, I reckon he is very much a sleeping giant. His best is definitely yet to come.

Deadpool - Very over the top (maybe too over the top in a couple spots), but a unique presentation of a super "hero". I can only imagine how hard of a formula this is to keep it fresh and not stale out or just become dumb and repetitive (like as if Will Ferrell played Deadpool). At no point is anything in doubt, though I think the film did puss out once.

Deadpool's girl should have died. There was no reason (shy of James Bond plotage) for her dead body not to be dumped down to Deadpool's feet. Don't get me wrong, glad Inara survived, but the big bad would have killed her.

Question, has Deadpool ever changed the script or an ending or some event in a storyline before because he didn't care for it? I will say, assuming Reynolds was in the suit the entire time, he did a marvelous job of the pantomine.

3 of 4

Deadpool has definitely been involved in time travel shenanigans before, in fact Deadpool v. X-Force is all about Deadpool traveling through time, mucking things up, and X-Force following behind him fixing things, and trying to catch up with him before he does any more damage. He also references comics in which he has appeared, or is currently appearing, quite often, but I can't think of a case where he travelled back in time to change the script of a comic. In the current Spider-Man/Deadpool run, he just travelled back in time to replace an earlier version of himself with "Old Man Deadpool" to try to avoid future events, but right now it appears that this is going to be the old time travel trope of actually instigating the events you are trying to avoid. Although he does reference the first issue of the comic by name, he doesn't try to change things by changing the script.

Probably the most relevant Deadpool comics to your question are Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool Killustrated, and Deadpool Kills Deadpool. In these comics Deadpool becomes self aware of himself as a comic book character, and in an attempt to remove himself from his own wretched existence, decides to kill every (Marvel) comic book character in existence, and eventually tries to kill all of the different versions of himself (most of which never actually existed as comic book characters before DeadPool Kills Deadpool). None of those books, however, involve time travel, or actually rewriting events that had already happened, but if you like Deadpool comics, you should definitely read DeadPool Kills Deadpool, because it is absolutely over-the-top filled with crazy versions of Deadpool, from the adorable PandaPool, to my favorite, GalactuPool (Deadpool as Galactus).

I've watched so many good movies lately. I don't know what to rate them, but they're good, absorbing, and full of fantastic performances.

Tallulah - Ellen Page, Allison Janney.
Carol - Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara
Blue Jasmine - Cate Blanchett, Sally Hawkins, Alec Baldwin
Revolutionary Road - Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet
The Immigrant - Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix
Henry Poole is Here - Luke Wilson, Radha Mitchell

Edit: I forgot Into the Wild - Emile Hirsch, John Hurt.

Last edited:
Singularity

Why the stupid?

It's about an AI designed by someone with a melodramatic god complex that wipes out nearly every human on earth. Then it cuts to 97 years later, and a small band of humans... blahblahblah. I don't even want to bother describing it any further.

It's a tried and true sci-fi trope and it appears to have had a decent budget. But, for example, why would a person carry a bow and arrow to fight 5 story high killer robots? Why not take a moment to say, "That's obviously stupid so let's not do it."

Why the bad actors? I mean John Cusack's career hasn't been on fire, but he is a decent actor, yet he's just awful in this, as is everyone else.

It's just fucking dumb.

2/10

P.S. I didn't finish watching it.
Yeah, but it stars a white guy. Doesn't that automatically make it better in the same way that casting a woman or a minority in the lead automatically causes a movie to be bad?

Anyway, I never bothered watching the movie because the trailers made it look like an awful movie based on a premise cooked up by people who don't quite understand science (such people shouldn't write science fiction, in my opinion). Plus, I find all that "singularity" futurism bullshit annoying.

Last edited:
Homeward Bound - I was flipping through channels and saw this was midway through. I wondered if my daughter could handle a film like this. The film is definitely for children as it is as transparent plotwise as North Korean plans to denuclearize. But it is warm, adventurous, and certainly safe to watch for the daughter. It is about three animals that freak the fuck out because stuff changes on them. So they decide to off road trip it and get back home.

It isn’t Minions, but it held her attention well past halfway and she got a second wind and managed to finish it. She liked Sassy the most.

I remember the movie when it came out and the film was fresher when I was younger and more dumber. But the story holds together.

3.5 of 4 for a family film

Thor Ragnarok

Some good moments, but a superhero movie is what is: flashy as hell yet utterly predictable.

Spoilers are hidden out of courtesy, but really, if you take about 30 seconds to think about it, there's no such thing as a spoiler for a superhero movie.

None of the main characters can die, or if they do, it doesn't really matter because they'll be brought back in the next one somehow. And this one did that. Apparently Hulk died in some prior movie but here he is, alive and well in this one to everyone's (meaning no one's) surprise.

And the villain was killed... or was she? Only box office receipts will tell.

Again, good eye candy, but I really can't wait for this long running fad to die down.

5/10

Back
Top Bottom