• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Bite your tongue! I LOVED MAMA MIA! And Meryl Streep can sing...... That said Amanda Seyfried had years of singing lessons (she's equally good in Les Miserable). BTW, if you want to know what the original 'reveal' at the end was per the original story writer, let me know and I will PM you.
Mama Mia 4/10

Finally got around to seeing this now that it's on Netflix. I always thought I'd like it, but it's almost over now and I'm only watching to find out the answer to the big question although I'm not sure I care now.

Consistently annoying and awkward at the same time, all the way through. I give it 4 stars because I've always loved ABBA even though nearly every song sung badly and no one seemed comfortable singing except for Amanda Seyfried, the bright spot of this film and the one who can sing both beautifully and comfortably.

edit: Oh god the ending is the worst part...

- - - Updated - - -

bad samaritan:
1.5/10 as an actual movie, 9/10 as a hilariously god awful piece of shit that you can laugh at with your friends

this is an odd duck, it's a cat-and-mouse serial killer thriller that would have been perfectly framed coming out a couple months after se7en was a huge hit and trying to capitalize on that, but it makes no sense whatsoever this movie exists outside of the mid 90s. it's schlocky, dumb as fuck, the acting is terrible, every character is a god awful cliche or racial stereotype, characters and plot points are introduced and then abandoned seemingly at random... it's just an utter mess.
for the movie itself, the only positive thing i can say about it is that they managed to point the camera in the right direction for most of the film and the post-production was competently done, as well as there were perhaps 2-3 moments in the film that it did something well or had a single line of dialogue that was unexpectedly well done.

having said all that...
my friend and i went to see this because david tennant is in it and she gets a girl-boner for him longer than my forearm, and the theater was empty except for the two of us, so after actually watching it for about 10 minutes we gave up and just MST3K'd the whole thing, yelling loudly at the screen and laughing hysterically through this atrocious crapfest of a movie.
it was actually a LOT of fun, this movie is so perfect for mockery and those "why would they DO THAT!?" moments of comedic bafflement, i don't think i enjoyed the act of watching a movie this much since we saw kingsman in the theater and were blown away by how ridiculous it was.

so high marks for "fun" factor if you see it with friends and just trash it nonstop, but holy good god this film was a dumpster fire in terms of actually being a piece of cinema.
LOL! Feeling a twinge even now as you said it!

Deadpool 2 - 7.5/10

Not as funny as the first to me, the audience there seemed to be enjoying the humour more though. A few tears, More action than the first. Not sure how binding the end credits scene is. No scene at the very end of the credis.

I had quite a few good laughs, perhaps even more than in the first one, but the laughs aren't the whole story here. I loved Josh Brolin's portrayal of Cable, and Zazie Beetz knocked it out of the park with Domino. I was really concerned that Domino would not be done well, and was glad at how she turned out. Even Juggernaut was much better than his previous appearance in X-Men Last Stand. All in all, I would have to say that DP2 was better than the first one for me.

One other note: no, there is no end credits scene, but there is an end credits song that I think is worth sticking around for. Most people in the theatre with me did not agree on that point, however.

Avengers Infinity War - 3rd viewing still exciting to watch.

Solo: A Star Wars Story. Slight spoilers ahead, but only slight.

Solid 8/10. Some scenes reminded me of episodes 1, 4 and 6. I'm liking the world building in these side stories. Set after Ep 3, We find our no-surname hero. Something of a scamp at this point in his life, and desperately trying to make his way through the universe. Solid action in the Falcon. Great mentor character. Some scenes will surprise you in how they happen and that they don't happen when you expect them to. No end credits scene.

Kinda obscure spoilers ahead. In no real order.

He was them!? Eyes, so many, many frightening eyes. Whats the difference between family and tribe? Anvil of life is hitting hard here sometimes. Dice from TLJ is here. He does what they're known to do sometimes. Fairish and square. Of course there's a girl. HOW THE HELL DID HE SURVIVE? He rounded down!? #Droidslivesmatter. He and... she... could've been? :eek:

Last edited:
Solo
7/10

A bit predictable. I guess with all the whining from butthurt fanbois, the Star Wars people are getting more and more afraid to take risks.

The portrayal of the characters were spot on. We got to see more of Chewie than we usually do in a Star Wars movie, and that alone makes it worthwhile to see the movie.

I was worried about this actor being believable as a young Han. He worked out great.

Donald Glover was fucking epic as a young Lando Calrissian. He even had the accent down pat. Lando may have had the most interesting backstory additions.

Woody Harrelson's character was perhaps the most predictable thing in the movie, although I can't fault the actor for that.

It was a treat seeing Paul Bettany without the CGI.

One thing I didn't like was reinforcing the "parsec" thing from the Kessel Run comment from Episode 4.

In the original script, Han got called out for using a unit of distance instead of time. It was evidence that he was a con artist, and one of the other characters called him out on it. Han getting units mixed up because he doesn't really know what they mean and is just a bullshit artist is funny. Trying to provide a backstory to make his wrong statement right bugs me.

PS[ent]mdash[/ent]the rationalization they cooked up actually undermines what Han said in episode 4. He was trying to explain how fast the Millennium Falcon is, but their rationalization negates his boast about the Falcon's speed since

[ent]hellip[/ent]he made the run in a shorter distance because he took a shortcut.

So now instead of being charming evidence of Han trying and failing at being a fast-talker, now his statement sounds like this:

A: I don't believe you can run as fast as you say.
B: Oh yeah? Well I once ran a 100 meter dash in only 50 meters (because I took a shortcut)!

The original statement is funny if Han doesn't know what a parsec is and assumes that therefore other people don't either. Now they turned something funny and charming into incoherent stupid.

One thing I didn't like was reinforcing the "parsec" thing from the Kessel Run comment from Episode 4.

In the original script, Han got called out for using a unit of distance instead of time. It was evidence that he was a con artist, and one of the other characters called him out on it. Han getting units mixed up because he doesn't really know what they mean and is just a bullshit artist is funny. Trying to provide a backstory to make his wrong statement right bugs me.

PS[ent]mdash[/ent]the rationalization they cooked up actually undermines what Han said in episode 4. He was trying to explain how fast the Millennium Falcon is, but their rationalization negates his boast about the Falcon's speed since

[ent]hellip[/ent]he made the run in a shorter distance because he took a shortcut.

So now instead of being charming evidence of Han trying and failing at being a fast-talker, now his statement sounds like this:

B: Oh yeah? Well I once ran a 100 meter dash in only 50 meters (because I took a shortcut)!

The original statement is funny if Han doesn't know what a parsec is and assumes that therefore other people don't either. Now they turned something funny and charming into incoherent stupid.

It was an error in the original movie. The smart move would have been to shut up about it, and never ever mention it again in any future movies, prequels, spin-offs, or anything else.

Trying to fix the error just makes them look dumb. When you are in a hole, stop digging.

I'm not in to AA any more. I've gone B&W pre '40. Just watched My Girl Friday and I'm rating Cary Grant as a comer. I just love that old rat-a-tat dialogue film mostly in one room style. Makes one gasp when one thinks about it at how far we've declined in entertainment.

You all know of course that most of modern AA scenes are done by "I love explosions no neck types" on workstations, right? Can't even complain about being destroyed by pointy headed intellectuals. ... and what's in that $10 popcorn?

What's the word I'm looking for? Yeah, that's it. Imagination? Where's it gone.

As a teen my best friend's dad had a diner right across the street from Pasco HS called the Brown Dog. The thing is the name wasn't for the schools's mascot a Bulldog, it was named for My friend's old mutt Brown Dog. The place was plastic, neon, red white and black, nickel play list machines at the tables. A place serving burgers and soda and ice cream with a lot of letterman's jackets, crunchy puppy skirts, and saddle shoes on site all the time. The kind of a place where when Miami Vice came out in the eighties one could remenese at the hot cars, heavy dudes, glass block style with Phil Collins music. Miss all that too.

Drive by over.

Last edited:

It was an error in the original movie. The smart move would have been to shut up about it, and never ever mention it again in any future movies, prequels, spin-offs, or anything else.

Trying to fix the error just makes them look dumb. When you are in a hole, stop digging.

With the retcon, "[I'm fast because] I made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" should have been "I made the Kessel run."

There. Done. He made it past a pretty impressive blockade, therefore he is capable of delivering Obi Wan and Luke to Alderan despite Imperial attention.

Meh.

With the retcon, "[I'm fast because] I made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" should have been "I made the Kessel run."

There. Done. He made it past a pretty impressive blockade, therefore he is capable of delivering Obi Wan and Luke to Alderan despite Imperial attention.

Meh.

Sure. Or if you want a bit more bragging, "I made the Kessel run a dozen times and never got caught".

Parsecs was a mistake, and should have been quietly ditched, or just ignored. Lots of movies have errors; highlighting them and trying to explain why they are not errors is futile and foolish.

deadpool 2: 7/10

diverging slightly from the common opinion this wasn't quite as good as the first one... i think it was, but it suffers from what i'd call "you can never have that first bite twice" syndrome.
the first deadpool's success was largely about it being rather out of nowhere and its content being surprising, and while on mostly mechanical levels DP2 was just as good as the first one it's no longer a surprise, there isn't that *wow* factor of "holy shit i can't believe they're doing this and i'm actually seeing this in a theater".

for me personally another big issue was the whole "family" theme and the narrative being based on a desire to have children and the boring cliche bullshit of "children make you a better person" and "family is the most important thing" was both groan-inducingly stupid on its face, and also felt extremely out of character for deadpool both in terms of a more extensive knowledge of the character from the comics and just from what we've seen in the films thus far.

Game Night: 7.5/10

A fun lighthearted comedy with some cute twists. It's exactly what you'd expect from the trailer so if that seems like something you'd be interested in, the movie delivers what you're looking for. I have no complaints about this movie.

Black Panther: 5/10

This, however, was a tremendous disappointment. After all the hype and shattering box office I expected a real treat ... instead I got a boring story, a hokey underdeveloped villain and ridiculous CGI. I mean, it's passably entertaining. I don't regret the price of rental at all. But even for a Marvel movie it's pretty drab from beginning to end. The only vaguely interesting character in the entire film is Klaue and they dispose of him halfway through solely to advance the real villain's plan.

Killlmonger is such a caricature of the stereotypical "angry black man" that it's impossible to take him seriously as a real person. He's just awful in every moment he's in. But then, so is nearly everyone else.

How this movie did so well I cannot begin to comprehend.

Game Night: 7.5/10

A fun lighthearted comedy with some cute twists. It's exactly what you'd expect from the trailer so if that seems like something you'd be interested in, the movie delivers what you're looking for. I have no complaints about this movie.

This, however, was a tremendous disappointment. After all the hype and shattering box office I expected a real treat ... instead I got a boring story, a hokey underdeveloped villain and ridiculous CGI. I mean, it's passably entertaining. I don't regret the price of rental at all. But even for a Marvel movie it's pretty drab from beginning to end. The only vaguely interesting character in the entire film is Klaue and they dispose of him halfway through solely to advance the real villain's plan.

Killlmonger is such a caricature of the stereotypical "angry black man" that it's impossible to take him seriously as a real person. He's just awful in every moment he's in. But then, so is nearly everyone else.

Ah, so you got triggered because the movie acknowledges the existence of racism and the fact that it bothers most people? Your use of the phrase "angry black man" kind of gives it away.

Not to worry. Most movies, including most Marvel movies only have token minority characters, so you can pretty much watch anything else and get something meant to appeal to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh.

Sure. Or if you want a bit more bragging, "I made the Kessel run a dozen times and never got caught".

Parsecs was a mistake, and should have been quietly ditched, or just ignored. Lots of movies have errors; highlighting them and trying to explain why they are not errors is futile and foolish.

Agreed. Completely.

So much white fragility.

I apologise for any discomfort I caused white people by talking about racism. I know that your comfort is more important than the lives of dark people, and I should have considered that before talking about racism.

I agree completely, and while I enjoyed the movie, this and one other element gave me the impression of "prequel-itis" (when things happen for no reason other than to reference or justify a chronologically later event):

"Solo" was a nickname from an Empire officer? Really? They couldn't have just had his name actually be Solo, like they had everybody else's name be what it was despite occasionally resembling an English word?

Wow. "Hokey, underdeveloped villain"? Killmonger was the most believable villain, and one of the best developed MCU villains, until Thanos' portrayal in Infiinity War. The story may not be novel, but it is by no means boring. Black Panther may not have been as action packed as some MCU films, but I think that owes to it actually having a compelling story to tell. It is based on the tried and true narrative of the rise and fall of a King, and that King rising back up again, but connects it to the political reality of today, and what it means to be a great nation. It also tells the story of how no nation, no matter how great it perceives itself to be, nor how successful it has been, is free from inner turmoil. I'm not sure why you are picking on the CGI either, I certainly did not notice any problems with it. And finally, "drab"? Are you sure you were in the right theater, watching the right movie? The cinematography was, for the most part, vibrant and colorful.

NOTE: i will not respond to any bullshit underseer dribbles out of his gaping vagina on this subject, so i would like to preface this reply by stating that my response to anything he says is simply "fuck you" - unless for once in his life he manages to somehow scrape together enough bother to actually engage in a discussion instead of just bleating "RACISM!" like an enthusiastic activist with down syndrome.
SECOND NOTE: the above condemnation is related entirely to underseer's inability to not actively go out of his way to be a monumental dickhole on the subject of anyone not liking a movie that has a black person in it, and not his general character as a human being.

having said that...
i agree with goodchild that black panther was pretty disappointing, but i think it's mostly disappointment as a reaction to the level of hype about it.
it was a perfectly fine middle-tier marvel franchise installment, but that's about it. i'd compare it to ant-man or dr. strange, in that it wasn't terrible but there was a lot about the screenplay that was lacking and overall i found my list of nit-picks larger than my list of positives.

all the racial related tid-bits in the film were actually just about the only thing i liked about it and thought made it stand out, i thought it a shame that such compelling examinations of racism and isolationist national policy and the unsatisfied (and unsatisfiable) desire for some kind of retribution that simmers in many (though not all) african-americans over a history that never got any sort of cosmic justice were all held back by a boring and derivative CGI crapfest of inexplicably indestructible rubber-band people flopping around.

NOTE: i will not respond to any bullshit underseer dribbles out of his gaping vagina on this subject, so i would like to preface this reply by stating that my response to anything he says is simply "fuck you" - unless for once in his life he manages to somehow scrape together enough bother to actually engage in a discussion instead of just bleating "RACISM!" like an enthusiastic activist with down syndrome.
SECOND NOTE: the above condemnation is related entirely to underseer's inability to not actively go out of his way to be a monumental dickhole on the subject of anyone not liking a movie that has a black person in it, and not his general character as a human being.

having said that...
i agree with goodchild that black panther was pretty disappointing, but i think it's mostly disappointment as a reaction to the level of hype about it.
it was a perfectly fine middle-tier marvel franchise installment, but that's about it. i'd compare it to ant-man or dr. strange, in that it wasn't terrible but there was a lot about the screenplay that was lacking and overall i found my list of nit-picks larger than my list of positives.

all the racial related tid-bits in the film were actually just about the only thing i liked about it and thought made it stand out, i thought it a shame that such compelling examinations of racism and isolationist national policy and the unsatisfied (and unsatisfiable) desire for some kind of retribution that simmers in many (though not all) african-americans over a history that never got any sort of cosmic justice were all held back by a boring and derivative CGI crapfest of inexplicably indestructible rubber-band people flopping around.
Racist! ;)

Though I don't see how this can be compared with Ant-Man. Ant-Man was fun at least. I was impressed with how Ant-Man was made interesting, with the not so super-hero sidekicks. The Thomas Tank Engine scene was absolute genius! Dr. Strange was good, but has a limitations mainly based on its cookie cutter set up.

I think Black Panther was work, but a strong movie on its own right not merely a super hero film. It was a super hero that wasn't funny, but rather stoic. So the comparison doesn't seem right. You are free not to like it and I won't make suggestions about getting a white hood for it. :D

Though I don't get the complaints about the CGI (Goodchild's, not yours). Wonder Women CGI at times looked the wrong kind of fake, but Black Panther's CGI was good and not distracting.

You are free not to like it and I won't make suggestions about getting a white hood for it. :D
oh, i didn't not like it... i liked it just fine. i just felt that it was a perfectly adequate but at best middling entry in the marvel franchise, and have not quite been able to understand the hype for it outside of purely "for the principle" reasons - which is well and good culturally, but still a bit of a let-down strictly in terms of cinema critique.

Ah, so you got triggered because the movie acknowledges the existence of racism and the fact that it bothers most people? Your use of the phrase "angry black man" kind of gives it away.

Not to worry. Most movies, including most Marvel movies only have token minority characters, so you can pretty much watch anything else and get something meant to appeal to you.

Wow, not sure where all this came from or how you got it out of a small negative review of a movie but clearly you have some issues you need to work on. I've not been here long enough to know what's up with various posters but I'm getting from you that not praising something afrocentric = racist in your mind? I'll address the meager content in this post that can act as a rebuttal after the next quote:

Wow. "Hokey, underdeveloped villain"? Killmonger was the most believable villain, and one of the best developed MCU villains, until Thanos' portrayal in Infiinity War.

Nothing we are shown about Killmonger leads him to where he is as an adult. He goes from child whose father has been murdered to a man who rages at the injustices against black people and seeks a reversal of that situation in a blink. But why? What in his life led him to that path? The movie's only justification for his motivations is that he was black in America. And that's why I see it as a stereotypical "angry black man" ... there's no context whatsoever to how he feels and why he believes his idea is a good one ... we're just expected to accept that black people in America as a monolith hate white people and want to rise up and conquer them but only lack the means to do so.

And that's not even getting into how he knows so much about the otherwise super-secret Wakanda beyond the stories of sunsets his father told him as a child.

I'm not sure why you are picking on the CGI either, I certainly did not notice any problems with it. And finally, "drab"? Are you sure you were in the right theater, watching the right movie? The cinematography was, for the most part, vibrant and colorful.

To be fair, I was watching it on Blu-ray on a large TV and not at the theater so that may account for some of it. And the CGI was fine on the city and ships and rhinos ... it was only when the panther suit was in the action that the CGI looked Green Lantern-esque to me. The final fight was so hard to watch because the suit CGI was just that woeful IMO.

This, exactly. It wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't very good IMO and especially in comparison to the hype and box office (as I mentioned in my review). My feelings about super-hero movies typically do not represent the norm as I feel this one is only slightly better than Civil War, Which I found to be the worst Marvel film so far. But, I don't regret the $2 it cost me to rent this movie and enjoyed it well enough for what it is. It's definitely worth a rental.

Normally I turn my brain off for super-hero movies and TV because otherwise they are really just laughable, but this movie was praised so much that I just couldn't do that because what I was expecting was not what was delivered.

I would have been much happier with the story if they'd focused on racial injustice rather than on royal succession :) But, of course, if they did that then there's a segment of people that would scream "SJW!!!!" to the heavens lol.

So much white fragility.

I apologise for any discomfort I caused white people by talking about racism. I know that your comfort is more important than the lives of dark people, and I should have considered that before talking about racism.

Apology accepted, and I recognize your bravery in speaking out against racism in a discussion forum on the internet. Your bombastic attitude has furthered the strive towards equality in an immeasurable way. For the record, I found Black Panther to be underwhelming as well. To rub salt into the wound and to further the noble cause of white supremacy, I feel the best parts of the movie were the scenes involving Andy Serkis.

Back
Top Bottom