• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Just watched The Lobster. 7.5/10

The main character books into a singles hotel where if you haven't found a compatible match in 45 days you get turned into the animal of your choice.

NOT a comedy.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 9/10

Thoroughly entertaining, though at times a bit predictable. Those who deserve it get munched (except for one who strangely keeps surviving), the heroes are sufficiently terrorized, and at the end the inevitable happens and we're ripe for another sequel :)

The scene with the girl in bed while the Indoraptor creeps closer towards her and her scream slowly rises in pitch really got me going, it felt exactly like how that sort of situation would go for the hapless human. One of my favorite scenes in the movie. As was the scene where, incredibly, Blue has to jump away from an explosion ... turning the old cliche on it's head just a bit :D

The comic relief was not overbearing and pretty much enjoyable when he was featured, the comedy from Pratt was great as well.

The Last Jedi

I may be one of the last people on the planet to see this movie, but that's because there's been all of one decent Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back... okay, Return of the Jedi had some excellent moments, so I'll give it that, but it's more of a case of it being not-shitty than it is actually good. Since 1983, there's been one SW flick worth a damn (Rogue One--which really was pretty good, even though it clung like a bitty-baby to the whole Death Star thing).

So anyway, I didn't think the Last Jedi was any worse than the glut of these celluloid pieces of crap that came before it; great special effects, jaw dropping Stupid sprinkled liberally throughout. Is there anyone in this galaxy or any other that saw the Leia-floating-through-space scene and thought it was awesome? It's both meme and gif worthy.

And who is Snoke? Where did he come from? What's his story? Hell, what is he and why is so goddamn ugly?

And what a waste of Benicio Del Toro, who is naturally one of the coolest human beings to have ever walked the face of the earth. Supposedly there's literally one guy in the entire galaxy who can hack the code on the Big Ass Ship, but instead whats-their-faces just run across some other guy who can. But hey look, it's Benicio Del Toro, so I'll buy into that just 'cause. And sure enough, he's cool, but instead they turn him into a greedy shortsighted douche. Sure, there's potential for him in the next movie, but that's the point. It doesn't matter if they do or don't because Star Wars fans are going to see whatever the next laser-sword featuring turd is regardless.

The Star Wars Franchise has produced about 3.5 good movies out 10 so far. So that's what The Last Jedi gets.

3.5/10

Really?

I thought Rogue One was an incoherent mess that was interesting only in that it broke a lot of the conventions of a normal Star Wars movie.

In fact I think that both Rogue One and Solo explain why Disney is wrong to be "all tentpole, all blockbusters all the time" with their franchise movies. FOX had a lot of success with making lower budget movies that allowed the directors and writers to take more risks (Deadpool, Logan, and the upcoming New Mutants has positive buzz). The "Star Wars Story" movies really should have followed the FOX gameplan. Let creative people have some independence to experiment, then you can take whatever works and inject them back into the "blockbuster" big budget movies.

I thought 7 & 8 were right up there with the original trilogy: brainless fun action with a nice quick pace and bad dialog, like someone took an old Flash Gordon serial, scraped off some of the racism, gave it a high gloss and kept the pace fast enough that you didn't notice too many of the cracks.

So what if Snoke didn't turn out to be the long lost great grandson of Luke Skywalker sent back via time machine? Those fan theories were as dumb as a Texas Republican anyway.

I'm not sure how much of the sequel hate is the result of people who put the original trilogy on a pedestal it didn't deserve to be on, and how much is the the result of alt-right nutters getting their panties in a bunch because none of the heroes are white males (doesn't the Latino guy count as more or less white?).

Really?

I thought Rogue One was an incoherent mess that was interesting only in that it broke a lot of the conventions of a normal Star Wars movie.
Rogue One fails because despite the good-ish story, the characters are not around long enough to feel too much about them. Also, they hamfisted the historic nature of the mission. I think Disney has been really screwing this part of Star Wars up. Nothing makes sense, it just happens. The Last Jedi was frustrating because they managed to handle the two main characters development very well... it is just the rest of the movie was nonsensical!

I thought 7 & 8 were right up there with the original trilogy: brainless fun action with a nice quick pace and bad dialog, like someone took an old Flash Gordon serial, scraped off some of the racism, gave it a high gloss and kept the pace fast enough that you didn't notice too many of the cracks.
7 was a remaster of A New Hope. 8 actually broke the mold, but the story was absurd.

So what if Snoke didn't turn out to be the long lost great grandson of Luke Skywalker sent back via time machine? Those fan theories were as dumb as a Texas Republican anyway.

I'm not sure how much of the sequel hate is the result of people who put the original trilogy on a pedestal it didn't deserve to be on, and how much is the the result of alt-right nutters getting their panties in a bunch because none of the heroes are white males (doesn't the Latino guy count as more or less white?).
There is probably a mix based on the people. Some love it because it is Star Wars, other hate it because they can't handle female protagonists, and people like me want something new (but makes sense). 7, I hated, 8 was much better (or at least original) but the story had serious issues. Rogue One needed more established characters and a better explanation of how the mission went forth.

Rogue One fails because despite the good-ish story, the characters are not around long enough to feel too much about them.

I wonder about this. In Episode IV, how long was Ben Kenobi around until he was killed at the end of Act II?

Arguably, some of the characters in Rogue One lasted longer than that, and yet I struggle to recall the character's names.

Obi Wan had the benefit of the "Harry Lime" introduction, as everyone was talking about him before he showed up on camera.

Rogue One fails because despite the good-ish story, the characters are not around long enough to feel too much about them.
I wonder about this. In Episode IV, how long was Ben Kenobi around until he was killed at the end of Act II?
Dude, spoiler alerts! :D

You know, honestly, I have no idea how I felt when he died. I don't remember seeing Star Wars the first time. But what does seem clear is that he warns Vader that he only becomes stronger through death. So it wasn't exactly the end.

Arguably, some of the characters in Rogue One lasted longer than that, and yet I struggle to recall the character's names.
I can say the same thing for Game of Thrones, despite having seen every season... twice.

You know, honestly, I have no idea how I felt when he died. I don't remember seeing Star Wars the first time. But what does seem clear is that he warns Vader that he only becomes stronger through death. So it wasn't exactly the end.

But that was part of the magic of the original movie. He didn't need to be on the screen for a long time for the audience to know how important he was to the story. The same can be said of any good character.

The same can be said of Rogue One. Each character was there for a reason, each fulfilled their role, and each had an important part to play, regardless of their time on screen. Yes, it has holes, but they're forgivable in the context of a movie that requires suspension of disbelief. And all of them except the robot died, which worked because 1) it made them more valuable, and 2) it's likely what would happened in a real life situation where a high risk, shoestring operation actually succeeds. There's no absurd last second rescue; just enough help to get the job done, and lots of people died trying.

And we know there's not going to be some magical spirit bullshit where they didn't really die. The only Jedi was the blind guy, but it's not actually for sure if he was a Jedi. Maybe he was, but to me he seemed more of an independent who had managed to harness The Force without being an official Jedi. That made him unique, so when he lost his life, it really mattered.

The film stands perfectly well on its own, just as the original did. Even more, the ending seamlessly matches up to the beginning of the first film, although that CGI with Carrie Fishers face was rather, um, balooney. I can't think of another word for it, but it really looked awful.

This Last Jedi business with the sea-creature boob-milk, space horses, and the main suspense resulting from a low tank of gas was utter shite.

And who is Snoke? Where did he come from? What's his story? Hell, what is he and why is so goddamn ugly?

Tell me about it.

I noticed that Last Jedi turned up on my Netflix and for a second I thought about watching it again...then I thought better of it.

I'm old enough to remember seeing the original movie in the theater before it became "Episode IV." Vader was an instant classic villain from the moment he stepped into the frame. Part of the appeal was the mystery. Who is this guy? Is he even a guy? Maybe he's an alien...what's with the helmet? He was unknowable.

Snoke was a villain made to fit into a place where the villain was supposed to sit. You didn't wonder "where did this guy come from?" but rather, "where did this guy come from?"

It is a subtle distinction, but important.

But that was part of the magic of the original movie. He didn't need to be on the screen for a long time for the audience to know how important he was to the story. The same can be said of any good character.

The same can be said of Rogue One. Each character was there for a reason, each fulfilled their role, and each had an important part to play, regardless of their time on screen. Yes, it has holes, but they're forgivable in the context of a movie that requires suspension of disbelief. And all of them except the robot died, which worked because 1) it made them more valuable, and 2) it's likely what would happened in a real life situation where a high risk, shoestring operation actually succeeds. There's no absurd last second rescue; just enough help to get the job done, and lots of people died trying.
Wait, the robot survived? How?

He was the best character. I especially liked the bit where he messed up another robot's brains. He must be thinking that's fucked up, considering that he's a robot that the rebellion reprogrammed for their own use.

[...]

The robot's death was the only death that had any emotional impact for me.

I don't see what purpose the others served in the plot, and I didn't form enough of an emotional bond with any of them to care when they died. Every single one of those deaths should have hurt and I felt little if anything when they died. Even the implied-gay couple that had so many genuinely funny lines in the movie.

All of those deaths were merely interesting because don't normally have that many main characters or prominent supporting characters die in the same movie like that.

It was also interesting in that it was obviously patterned after a war movie (ironic given that "war" is in the name of the franchise), while the others are brainless (often overly literal) presentations of the monomyth surrounded by Flash Gordon trappings with samurai and cowboy elements sprinkled in for flavor.

Maybe the problem is that I no longer place the original trilogy on a pedestal.

Episode 8 took all the brainless action fun of the rest of the franchise and actually had some worthwhile things to say.

It talked about toxic masculinity in a way that beautifully book-ended the introduction of Princess Leia in that first movie. The notion of a female action hero and a princess who can save herself was shocking and new and interesting in the 1977. It changed the way we talked about women's roles in movies. It's sad that Carrie Fisher died, but it's poignant that her last Star Wars movie had something to say about how action movies tend to promote some not-so-good aspects of the social construct of masculinity. Episode 4 asked us to stop treating women like prizes to fight over and to take them seriously as agents capable of imposing their will on the world. Episode 8 was a nice mirror asking us to look at aspects of the social construct of gender that hurts men.

On top of that, we got a nice little discussion about what happens when we put heroes and legends on a pedestal and rob them of their humanity. Luke hated having been robbed of his humanity, hates that part of him bought into the bullshit, and in the end embraced his role as a legend because he could use it to effect a positive change in large numbers of people.

Rogue One was just a bunch of people dying to fulfill a single sentence of scrolling exposition at the beginning of Episode 4, and it had editing and narrative problems that made it fail to live up to its potential given the amount of talent involved in the project. I liked it, but to me it was just an above-average action movie. Episodes 7 and 8 are what I wish the prequel movies were.

Tau
7/10

Scifi on Netflix about a girl who gets captured by a CEO of a tech company who uses her brain to build a better AI. The CEO psycho's prototype AI, Tau, is running the house where she's captive, and is acting as her jailer. Basically she tries to outwit the computer and the psychopath before his project is finished, because that's when he'll most likely kill her. It's a quaint little scifi piece and worth watching if you like the genre, but has nothing that we've not seen before.

RHea & Dear Daughter watching season 1 of Teen Wolf and playing a drinking game (drink every time someone takes their shirt off... calm down, it’s soda.)
R: Now the cats are going to hate him
TV: cats hate him
DD: good call, mom.
R: Now the dog is going to love him
TV: dog loves him
DD: Good call, mom
R: Okay, now he going to find out he can run like the Six Million Dollar Man.
DD: And I hate you for making me know that reference, you know.
R: Parenting win!!
(Several years ago I showed her old episodes of $6M Man, “for reference,” she was appalled at how dumb it was)

Wait, the robot survived? How?

He was the best character. I especially liked the bit where he messed up another robot's brains. He must be thinking that's fucked up, considering that he's a robot that the rebellion reprogrammed for their own use.

Oops. You're right. He died too. I misremembered.

(Several years ago I showed her old episodes of $6M Man, “for reference,” she was appalled at how dumb it was)

Loved that show when I was a kid. But I was 6. However, watching this intro, particularly from a first grader's perspective (and which is still pretty cool), it didn't really matter what came after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8&frags=pl,wn

Steve Austin could've taken a $6 million dollar dump on the screen for half an hour and it would've still been the greatest thing ever.

Loved that show when I was a kid. But I was 6. However, watching this intro, particularly from a first grader's perspective (and which is still pretty cool), it didn't really matter what came after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8&frags=pl,wn

Steve Austin could've taken a $6 million dollar dump on the screen for half an hour and it would've still been the greatest thing ever.

:D

Back
Top Bottom