• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Get Out - 8/10

A very well done psychological thriller about a black guy who goes off to meet his white girlfriend's parents for the weekend and then … well, it's kind of impossible to give any details without getting into spoilers, but damn do they ever do a good job of putting together a thriller here. Well worth seeing.

And, I just have to say - fucking white people, man!!! I can totally see us doing that shit.

Ever since Gibson's " The Passion of Christ and learning of his xtian fundamentalism, nothing he has ever done or will ever do in future will ever get my humble bum on any seat anywhere. Even though I do love Danny Glover's work.

You are free to hate people because of their religion; it's not like bigotry is new.

This movie has some religion in it, but not xtian. It's Gwich'in: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4982870/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sun-at-midnight-wins-1.4105341

Sorry. I should have also pointed out that I think Gibson is also a terrible actor. Danny Glover carried all the Lethal Weapon movies all on his lonesome. As for Mad Max. I would rate the original and any of the sequels, Rotten Tomatoes gongs. In the same category as Sharknado.

I've never watched any of the sequels and I don't intend on watching them. I've heard that the sequels are just not as good. Same with Lethal Weapon, never seen the sequels. I watched some of the most recent Mad Max sequel, it was terrible, turned it off after 30 minutes.

You deserve a medal of some kind for being able to watch 30 minutes of any of the sequels!

The most recent Mad Max was better than any of the originals[ent]hellip[/ent] ooooooh.

The new Mad Max sequels didn't do anything to tell you that you are superior for being born a white male, and that hurt your feewings, didn't it?

I'm so very, very sowwy. Do you feel less special now? Is that the problem?

You are a special princess snowflake, and you are superior because you are white and have a penis.

You are a special princess snowflake, and you are superior because you are white and have a penis.

There.

Better now?

Because if you need any more than that, I would really recommend going to a safe space like Stormfront.com.

Have you tried writing to all the Hollywood movie moguls to complain about the perceived [by you that is] lack of wholly African-American movies?

I watched a little gem of a movie titled Joy last night. Stars Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper. 2015.

A woman juggles family, success, failure and betrayal as she builds her business empire. Brilliantly acted, directed and executed drama. 8/10

Have you tried writing to all the Hollywood movie moguls to complain about the perceived [by you that is] lack of wholly African-American movies?
Black movies? How about black producers and directors? Generally, Hollywood is a white man's club. This is hardly a secret. And once a movie is made that is primarily black, the snowflakes come out and whine about appeasement.

Arthur Christmas - Having a child I think has modified my take on what I originally viewed as an average Aardman film. But I absolutely adore this Christmas film. Not only does it present an interesting explanation as to how Christmas is feasibly possible, it provides a compelling tale about what matters about Christmas to a child. The humor is very Aardman and the movie is just the perfect mood for the most important holiday after Satan Day.

4 of 4

John Wick: Chapter 2, 5/10; Stars Keanu Reeves as some sort of uber assassin dragged out of retirement to kill a gangsters sister so he can replace the woman at the "top table". Film starts with Wick retrieving his car from somewhere and easily killing a bunch of hapless henchmen. The plot is thin but the action is thick but similar to the Matrix, the fight scenes are so overly choreographed it really does look like "Dancing With the Stars". The fights have a kind of "cha-cha-cha" beat to them. After Wick kills his target, he is in big trouble with an international network of assassins that span the globe and the rest of the movie is Wick getting chased and shot at. Lawrence Fishburne is in there as some character but by this time I couldn't care less what was going on, I just wanted the movie to come to a conclusion. I didn't enjoy this movie at all but this style of movie seems to be a hit with aficionados of the action genre.

The most recent Mad Max was better than any of the originals[ent]hellip[/ent] ooooooh.

The new Mad Max sequels didn't do anything to tell you that you are superior for being born a white male, and that hurt your feewings, didn't it?

There.

Better now?

Because if you need any more than that, I would really recommend going to a safe space like Stormfront.com.

Oh, look at who is suddenly interested in changing the subject. Yes, I will get right on writing those letters. Let's suddenly talk about writing letters instead of what we were talking about.

Would it protect your feewings better and make you feel more manly if I called you a delicate prince snowflake instead of a delicate princess snowflake?

Colette 9/10

Debating whether to watch it or not, I noticed the director was the same as the tearjerker, Still Alice. Okay, I'm in. I liked Still Alice.
I really enjoyed Colette. An underlying theme that I found very interesting was on gradations of gender and sexuality.
Like Still Alice, Wash Westmoreland hit a home run with Colette.

It was my father's birthday, so I went and saw Mortal Engines yesterday. Theater was not very full for an opening weekend, and I have seen critics panning this one as "Waterworld on land", which... okay, fair enough.

But I enjoyed watching it a lot more than Waterworld. It probably helps that I haven't been to a pocorn movie like this one in quite a while. There were cliches abundant and none of the physics made sense, but it was a lot of fun, and seeing it on an Imax screen showed off the sfx to advantage. It is mostly an animated movie, with all the digital sets, but they look pretty and built an interesting world. I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience.

7/10

John Wick: Chapter 2, 5/10; Stars Keanu Reeves as some sort of uber assassin dragged out of retirement to kill a gangsters sister so he can replace the woman at the "top table". Film starts with Wick retrieving his car from somewhere and easily killing a bunch of hapless henchmen. The plot is thin but the action is thick but similar to the Matrix, the fight scenes are so overly choreographed it really does look like "Dancing With the Stars". The fights have a kind of "cha-cha-cha" beat to them. After Wick kills his target, he is in big trouble with an international network of assassins that span the globe and the rest of the movie is Wick getting chased and shot at. Lawrence Fishburne is in there as some character but by this time I couldn't care less what was going on, I just wanted the movie to come to a conclusion. I didn't enjoy this movie at all but this style of movie seems to be a hit with aficionados of the action genre.

It's not really supposed to be a good movie. It's kickass action with revenge stuff or something, and that's what fans of the first movie wanted--more of the same. It's guns, fighting, running, attitude, and fantasy bad assery let loose.

I thought it was fun because it was exactly what I wanted it to be, kind of like the first Pacific Rim movie. Giant robots fighting giant monsters sent from the bottom of the sea by inter-dimensional aliens. You're not looking for substance in movies like this because they don't pretend to have any. Hell, they aren't supposed to have any. The cliches are supposed to be there. The hokey lines are supposed to be there. The utter lack of realism should be ever present. And I thought the movie in question accomplished what it set out to accomplish.

It's not really supposed to be a good movie. It's kickass action with revenge stuff or something, and that's what fans of the first movie wanted--more of the same. It's guns, fighting, running, attitude, and fantasy bad assery let loose.

I thought it was fun because it was exactly what I wanted it to be, kind of like the first Pacific Rim movie. Giant robots fighting giant monsters sent from the bottom of the sea by inter-dimensional aliens. You're not looking for substance in movies like this because they don't pretend to have any. Hell, they aren't supposed to have any. The cliches are supposed to be there. The hokey lines are supposed to be there. The utter lack of realism should be ever present. And I thought the movie in question accomplished what it set out to accomplish.

I never saw the movies, but isn't it basically: assassin decides to kill a bunch of other assassins because they killed his dog?

That's not a plot for a deep and meaningful movie. At best it's the outline of a song from country and western "music."

That's not my cup of tea, but then there are other kinds of "bad" movies and TV shows that I enjoy, so I'm not going to begrudge anyone anything.

I never saw the movies, but isn't it basically: assassin decides to kill a bunch of other assassins because they killed his dog?

That's not a plot for a deep and meaningful movie. At best it's the outline of a song from country and western "music."

That's not my cup of tea, but then there are other kinds of "bad" movies and TV shows that I enjoy, so I'm not going to begrudge anyone anything.

The first Wick was pretty good, I recommend giving it a watch. It's definitely more than just "you killed my dawg!" I can't say more without revealing spoilers. The second Wick, meh.

Actually, it is pretty much "You killed my dawg!" The only other thing it could be is "you violated my well-earned assassin retirement." I don't really consider that the dog being a gift from his late wife as being anything of an interesting or mitigating layer on his character. I don't buy that someone who kills people for a living has any kind of normal conscience, and would really care more about a dog, or even a woman, as anything more than possessions. It makes more sense that he goes off because his zone of power was violated.

Actually, it is pretty much "You killed my dawg!" The only other thing it could be is "you violated my well-earned assassin retirement." I don't really consider that the dog being a gift from his late wife as being anything of an interesting or mitigating layer on his character. I don't buy that someone who kills people for a living has any kind of normal conscience, and would really care more about a dog, or even a woman, as anything more than possessions. It makes more sense that he goes off because his zone of power was violated.
I would disagree. From what I remember, I think he left the assassin life because he fell in love with her. When she died, the puppy she arranged for him to get was the last bit of her to hang onto.

One thing I liked in the movie was that the bad guys mostly knew they were in deep shit. The Russian mob boss calling the chop-shop guy about why the guy disrespected his son, "Because he stole John Wick's car and killed his dog", the mob boss's reply was "...oh......" I also liked the whole secret criminal society, that was rather interesting.

I saw the first John Wick movie and thought it was pretty decent. It had a bit more substance to it. John Wick: Chapter 2 just went a bit too far for me. I'm not a big fan of this genre I suppose. I did enjoy the first Transporter movie but stayed away from the sequels.

The character just isn't interesting enough to read anything into. My view of him as a monster who chose to change his life under the pretext of love and then went bonkers because he couldn't control his new life like he did his old one rings just as true as the (frankly less realistic, and also, dangerous) Hollywood standard cliche that any bad person can be reformed by love.

There.

Better now?

Oh, look at who is suddenly interested in changing the subject. Yes, I will get right on writing those letters. Let's suddenly talk about writing letters instead of what we were talking about.

Would it protect your feewings better and make you feel more manly if I called you a delicate prince snowflake instead of a delicate princess snowflake?

Why, that's exactly what I think you are. A political correct snowflake! :p

Unsubscribing from this thread.

Unsubscribing from this thread.

Why?

Back
Top Bottom