• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Unsubscribing from this thread.

Why?
because underseer treats the media and pop culture forum the same way derec treats the political forum - it's a soap box for him to scream his utterly batshit insane delusions about the world and other people, and not a single person who reads these threads agrees with a single word he's saying and sooner or later gets fed up with it.

Why?
because underseer treats the media and pop culture forum the same way derec treats the political forum - it's a soap box for him to scream his utterly batshit insane delusions about the world and other people, and not a single person who reads these threads agrees with a single word he's saying and sooner or later gets fed up with it.

Oh, it’s not limited to this forum. I can’t even view the “images that make you laugh” thread without running into more underseer batshittery.

Arthur the remake. Again not a patch on the original with Dudley Moor. Not even the talents of Helen Mirren could save this flop. Russel Brand couldn't act his way out of a brown paper bag. Very disappointing tame effort. 3/10

Oh, it’s not limited to this forum. I can’t even view the “images that make you laugh” thread without running into more underseer batshittery.
I think it'd be nice if people could just remove the politics from media. The problem does happen though because there are examples in media where criticism comes forth because of identity (Black Panther, Annie, Star Wars, etc...). The well is getting so poisoned that it is almost impossible to discuss anything without someone pulling out a cup of bitter liquid.

I think Underseer certainly is hyperbolically (yes... that is a word) adding it to this and other threads, but he is reflecting on the real hyper-identity based intolerance online that is elsewhere, and occasionally seen here. We need to drop it in this and M&PC threads, unless a topic is specifically about it. People shouldn't have to unsubscribe to threads outside of PD because of PD incursions.

I don't mind Underseer's hyperbolic responses to identity-based intolerance. Most times I agree with him.

It's the preemptive strikes against hypothetical future intolerance that I find tiresome.

And while I haven't unsubscribed from Media threads, I certainly don't participate in them like I used to. Woe unto me if I don't sufficiently enjoy a movie that Underseer has declared to be the apex of racial nirvana.

Why?

I just blocked him. He's not worth taking seriously. What does bother me though is that the mods allow it to continue. I have complained and cited posts where he's called me and other bigots, white supremacists, and hurled other personal insults, all of which is clearly against the forum's rules.

In the politics forum, I kind of lost it a few weeks back and went off on another poster. I received a warning for it, which was fair. I'd crossed the line. And it made me more mindful of how I respond to other posters. Unfortunately, Underseer isn't held to the same standard, and I don't know why.

I don't mind Underseer's hyperbolic responses to identity-based intolerance. Most times I agree with him.

It's the preemptive strikes against hypothetical future intolerance that I find tiresome.

And while I haven't unsubscribed from Media threads, I certainly don't participate in them like I used to. Woe unto me if I don't sufficiently enjoy a movie that Underseer has declared to be the apex of racial nirvana.

Funny how it's tiresome when I pre-emptively complain about the complaints we constantly get from certain folks, but not tiresome when those certain folks feel the need to inject their racism, misogyny, etc. over every little non-white male character introduced to a science fiction movie.

These people have piled so much garbage into the national debate that they publicly drove actresses off of social media with racist/misogynist insults and abuse, but sure. It's "tiresome" when I complain about it.

This is pretty much textbook white fragility. People are more upset by people complaining about racism than the actual racism itself.

Anyway, Aquaman was good. A bit better than above average, which is a huge improvement over other recent DC films.

No, I don't think it rises to the level of Wonder Woman, although it has a much better third act.

But unlike Batman vs Superman or Justice Leagues, the motivation of all the characters make sense. Their motivations make sense and don't contradict themselves.

Much of the movie consists of musclebound men shouting macho platitudes at it other ("Dude, I'm like totally gonna beat you up!") such that it feels like a cross between Dragonball Z and an action movie from the 1980s. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because the movie doesn't pretend to be anything particularly meaningful, deep, nor arty. It knows what it is, doesn't try to be what it isn't, and just has fun with what it is.

It's about what we should expect from one of the better Fast and Furious directors. (Did I mention that he's amazing at directing action sequences? Because the action in this movie is well worth the ticket price.)

If all of the DC movies end up like this, I'm going to be seriously bummed out. Hopefully, this movie is the way that it is because WB execs finally figured out that each property within the franchise needs its own separate style and feel.

It's fun, and it doesn't try to be anything other than fun. That's not a bad thing.

7/10

I just blocked him. He's not worth taking seriously. What does bother me though is that the mods allow it to continue. I have complained and cited posts where he's called me and other bigots, white supremacists, and hurled other personal insults, all of which is clearly against the forum's rules.

In the politics forum, I kind of lost it a few weeks back and went off on another poster. I received a warning for it, which was fair. I'd crossed the line. And it made me more mindful of how I respond to other posters. Unfortunately, Underseer isn't held to the same standard, and I don't know why.

What a special princess snowflake. Confronted with complaints about racism and misogyny, of course, your reaction is to get triggered and immediately retreat to a safe space by blocking me.

We have actual fascists and white supremacists in this forum community, one of whom even uses a fasces as his avatar, but it's curious that they didn't trigger you and hurt your feelings and cause you to retreat behind a safe space by blocking them. Golly, I wonder why actual white supremacists didn't offend you and hurt your feelings, but someone complaining about them did. Oh well, I guess we'll never figure it out.

Yeah, I know he blocked me, and I know he'll never read this, and yes, this is obviously for the benefit of whatever other fragile white people are reading this.

The fact that we have actual neo-fascist/white supremacists posting here and people complain more about what I have to say than what they have to say should be illuminating, but of course, it doesn't. No one wants to stop and consider what that difference in reactions says about them, so it's easier to complain about the person who keeps talking about the very racism and misogyny that drives the difference in their responses.

We elected a white supremacist president.

He got elected not in spite of his racist statements, but because of his wildly racist statements.

We have had a large increase in racist violence since the white supremacist got in the White House.

I am frankly fucking done with dancing around white fragility. I get that many if not most of you are more offended by people talking about racism than the racism itself. I get that most of you are more offended by people talking about misogyny than the misogyny itself. I get it because I'm half white and often feel those things also, but unlike you, I stopped and thought about why this difference of responses exists.

Most of you don't stop and think about why you're more upset about discussions of racism than the racism itself because you don't have to. It doesn't hurt you personally, and in many ways, you benefit from it, so why bother doing anything about it? If you benefit from it, then it is perfectly reasonable to get angry at people who complain about because if society acknowledges that it is wrong and tries to discuss the details of what is wrong, you might lose your unfair advantage.

I'm not saying you're doing this consciously, but that's the essence of cognitive biases (in this case self-serving bias), isn't it? You're not aware that you're doing it or that it is influencing your decisions and responses.

Again, I get that because of white fragility, I've hurt your feelings, but given that America is sliding into fascism and we can't explain to half of the fucking country why fucking toddler concentration camps are a bad thing, I am fucking done with dancing around everyone's white fragility.

Fuck
your
delicate
princess
fucking
snowflake
fragile
fucking
feelings.

People are dying because of your delicate fucking feelings and your reticence to so much as discuss glaring injustices that exist in society.

You are a clown.

That is fine, but I'd appreciate it if you stop spoking for other people as if you represent them.

You are not doing minorities any favors by acting like a clown. Just know that.

Underseer said:
What a special princess snowflake. Confronted with complaints about racism and misogyny, of course, your reaction is to get triggered and immediately retreat to a safe space by blocking me.
You include these comments in a lot of your posts. We can have threads about these issues in M&PC, but we don't need them constantly posted in many posts in threads like this, unless in response to what someone has said.

You've also thrown out a very wide net and are catching all kind of fish and calling them all trout. Let's keep this thread on topic about recent DC films and how much they disappoint us, but provide sufficient fodder for Rifftrax.

"MARTHA!!!"

"How do you know my safe word?"

Anyway, Aquaman was good. A bit better than above average, which is a huge improvement over other recent DC films.

No, I don't think it rises to the level of Wonder Woman, although it has a much better third act.
Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with. I'll wait until this goes into the dollar DVD bin. ;)

Yes, I get it. We still have toddler concentration camps and innocent people still being gunned down in the streets by the police on regular basis, but goodness forbid we complain about racism and the effects of racism too frequently. That would be annoying.

It's ok when racists constantly inject politics into discussions about science fiction and comic books by constantly whining about "political correctness" this and "social justice warrior" that, but gosh, how dare I anticipate their whining and criticize them for it? I've clearly crossed the line.

Can you guys ever forgive me?

Well, Opponax clearly can't. He's retreated to his safe space where he can still read what the openly white supremacist forum members write, but won't have his delicate sensibilities offended by reading criticism of white supremacists.

They are easily triggered, they whine, suppress speech, retreat to safe spaces, then accuse me of their own flaws, but darn me for pointing any of this out.

Back to Aquaman, Moviebob described it as "either the best bad movie or the worst good movie of the year," and he meant that as a compliment. That right there sums it up pretty well.

Underseer said:
You include these comments in a lot of your posts. We can have threads about these issues in M&PC, but we don't need them constantly posted in many posts in threads like this, unless in response to what someone has said.

Yes, Underseer puts that disclaimer in many of his posts here in M&CG, but it doesn't bother me, as it is usually set off and easily ignored. I think he is probably wasting his time with it, but I could give a shit less whether he does it or not, because I know it doesn't apply to me, and the posters here that seem to be pissed off about it are posters I generally don't care for because they tend to espouse white supremacist attitudes, so fuck them.

Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with
be careful... when i dared to suggest that it wasn't a great movie, i was accused of being a neo-nazi conservative proud boy cuck, because i had to audacity to point out it was full of ridiculous plot holes (even relative to being a super hero movie) and horrible writing.

which for me is the real crux of this little side-conversation - that one of the forum's most stridently progressive bleeding-heart liberals gets that sort of BS flung at them for simply not liking a movie that happened to have a woman in it.
that's putting your horse's bones in a burlap sack and carrying it around with you so that you can bullwhip the bag every now and again to teach it a lesson.

Uh oh... didn't really think Wonder Woman was that good to begin with
be careful... when i dared to suggest that it wasn't a great movie, i was accused of being a neo-nazi conservative proud boy cuck, because i had to audacity to point out it was full of ridiculous plot holes (even relative to being a super hero movie) and horrible writing.

which for me is the real crux of this little side-conversation - that one of the forum's most stridently progressive bleeding-heart liberals gets that sort of BS flung at them for simply not liking a movie that happened to have a woman in it.
that's putting your horse's bones in a burlap sack and carrying it around with you so that you can bullwhip the bag every now and again to teach it a lesson.
Well what is the purpose of having your horse’s bones in a burlap sack then, if not that? ;)

I am watching Hulk with the boys right now and it is neither a great nor a terrible movie, but I am constantly disconcerted by the American accent coming out of Eric Bana's mouth.

Centurion. Second watch, I watched it almost 3 years ago before.

I thought the movie was better this time than the first time, for some reason. This movie has generally received mediocre reviews. Yet perhaps because I'm really interested in the ancient world, I found the movie better than mediocre.

The movie is, in short, about a few surviving Roman soldiers who were part of a legion that was ambushed and massacred by Picts (ancient people who lived in modern-day Scotland). They try to make it back to the Roman Empire, chased by Picts. The movie presents a grim view of human nature, and it's hard to see any "good faction", even though individual characters turn out to be good. But really, the Picts had the just cause, IMO. They defended their homeland from a conquering invader.

Having said all of this, the movie felt a little un-polished. I liked it, but it could have been fantastic.

It's ok when racists constantly inject politics into discussions about science fiction and comic books by constantly whining about "political correctness" this and "social justice warrior" that, but gosh, how dare I anticipate their whining and criticize them for it? I've clearly crossed the line.

I look at them with the same derision I look at you for your behavior. In fact, it's worse with you because technically you're on my side and you make us look like fools. You view everyone as a foe if they disagree with you for any reason, slighting them with the racist/sexist/homophobic brush regardless of the reality of who they are ... simply because they dared to disagree with you!

You didn't even take a moment to learn anything about who I am or how I feel about anything before you called me a reich-wing snowflake arch-conservative only because I didn't like Black Panther. You just assumed, even through my explanations, that it was all down to I couldn't stand to see a black person with top billing.

OT: Watched the live-action Ghost in the Shell. Or I should say, tried to watch. My wife and I both fell asleep within 20 minutes into the movie and after restarting it could barely keep our interest in it. It seems like there may be a good story in there, but it was just too damn atmospheric to hold my attention.

I certainly didn't care for Black Panther. Standard superhero schlock, which I don't care for to begin with, and with a questionable implication that only a magical meteor strike could put an African nation on par with Europe's technology. And they would still be oppressive monarchies that make significant decisions with bloody duels to the death I guess. This is progress? I guess it is, but we could do better. Indeed, there's been some great African scifi in the last few years. Try Crumbs or Oya: Rise of the Orishas.

Back
Top Bottom