• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Kiss The Girls starring Morgan Freeman and the delicious Ashley Judd. A deranged kidnapper is on the loose, targeting beautiful talented women. A serial killer thriller with a twist. The leads were brilliant and a good seat of the pants movie. 8.5/10

Just Like Heaven 6/10

I am a sucker for a romantic movie though. Not too bad, though implausible plot line. The characters are well played, though the ending a little anti-climatic for my liking.

I really think the two should have parted paths, but each had their lives back and Ruffalo's character found peace and moved on.

Wheel of time 8/10

A gushing Herzog film about an annual festival commemorating the enlightenment of the first Buddha. A festical presided over by the Dalai Lama.

The film doesn't really have a plot. Not much of a message other than that people do weird things. But Herzog is such a master film maker that it works. Every shot is gorgeous and sucks you in. Yet, nothing ever happens. Which is the most genious portrayal of what Buddhism and Buddhist meditation is all about. It's a serenely calming film. If you feel stressed at any time. Pull this one out and it'll calm you down in no time. You'll feel refreshed when it's over.

COSM 7/10

Here's another documentary on a similar topic. It explores the body of work from the artist Alex Grey. A devotional Buddhist painter. But anybody who has experimented with psychadelics will immidiately recognise the visions. You're also bound to have come across them if you've had any contact with New Age litterature. He can be found all over it. I don't see spirituality as having anything to do with anything supernatural or magical. I still took plenty away from the film. But you've got to have your sceptic filter upp. There's a lot of bullshit to be found here.

The Unbelievers (2013)

A documentary that follows Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss as they debate believers, give interviews and deliver speeches about science and atheism.

Little information is actually shared here. The debates are not presented in any detail. The believer says something ridiculous and Dawkins or Krauss say something rationale and witty.

The documentary opens with celebrities such as Woody Allen, Cameron Diaz or Ricky Gervais commenting on science and faith. If the goal of the documentary is to present atheism and these two famous atheists in a positve light, and I think it is, then why include the blatherings of entertainers?

If you want to know what it's like when Dawkins and Krauss travel the world and give speeches, then this is the thing to watch.

If you want to know more about the actual discussion of atheism and belief, go watch something else.

5/10

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by The Unbelievers, too.

Over the weekend I watched For the Bible Tells Me So.

A few years old (2007, I think) doc that deals with several Christian families and how they coped (or did not cope) with the fact that one of their children turned out gay.

6/10

Drive

9/10

This is an excellent contemporary noir with a terrific cast, featuring Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Bryan Cranston, Oscar Isaac and Christina Hendricks. The mood and style reminded me a lot of Jean-Pierre Melville's best films (e.g., Le Samourai).

The Dark Knight Heath Ledger as the Joker and last movie. Christian Bale for me was the best Batman of them all, although I also like Michael Keaton as the caped crusader. 9/10

Man on a Ledge

7.5/10

This thriller/caper film is somewhat lacking in the plausibility department, but is tightly-paced enough (coming in at around 100 minutes) that you don't notice too much. A plus is a strong cast, headed by Sam Worthington and Elizabeth Banks, with support from Jamie Bell, Ed Harris, Anthony Mackie, Edward Burns, Titus Welliver and Genesis Rodriguez (in her feature debut).

Bad Neighbors. I actually paid $6 aud to stream that piece of trash to my TV. It's rated as a comedy. The comedy is on the suckers like me that actually paid to see it. 2/10

Seven Psycopaths 8/10

This movie exceeded my expectations. At its core it is a movie about writing a movie screenplay, with the screenplay being about seven psycopaths, and the movie you are watching also being about kidnapping (dognapping?) a mobster's dog. The way the movie switches between the screenplay being written and the movie you are watching is very clever, and not quite as confusing as you might think. There are some interesting plot twists, and some great acting. Sam Rockwell does an excellent job with his character. Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson also do really well at making their characters seem very nuanced. Colin Farrell in the lead role is almost overshadowed by the other three, but still turns in a great performance.

Old Maid - Watched this film starring Davis and Hopkins again. Two women, two guys-ish, a war, and a whole bunch of years go by. The problem I have with some of these sorts of films is that the passage of time can be too pronounced and jagged. The story can be compelling at times, but because time passes by so quickly, the conflicts and resolutions can feel a quite a bit rushed, neither giving you time to empathize enough with the situation and consequently lack the relief from a resolution. I blame Obama.

2.5 of 4

Way way back

It's about the coming of age summer of Duncan (Liam James). Great cast. (Steve Carell, Tonny Collette,Sam Rockwell, Amanda Peet, Maya Rudolph...) Good fun.
7/10

I loved this film and would probably give it 10/10 simply because I left it feeling like I wouldn't change a thing. So many movies are almost really good but seem incomplete or as though they just don't quite come together in the end. This felt like it told a complete, fully realized story, very successfully. Not a big movie but really great.

Way way back

It's about the coming of age summer of Duncan (Liam James). Great cast. (Steve Carell, Tonny Collette,Sam Rockwell, Amanda Peet, Maya Rudolph...) Good fun.
7/10

I loved this film and would probably give it 10/10 simply because I left it feeling like I wouldn't change a thing. So many movies are almost really good but seem incomplete or as though they just don't quite come together in the end. This felt like it told a complete, fully realized story, very successfully. Not a big movie but really great.

I agree.

I watched Transformers 4....I thought it was pretty shit...4/10 and not enough dinobots. Coz when your trailer shows off fucking dinobots, I expect more fucking dinobots and not just in the last 15 minutes.

I watched Transformers 4....I thought it was pretty shit...4/10 and not enough dinobots. Coz when your trailer shows off fucking dinobots, I expect more fucking dinobots and not just in the last 15 minutes.

You watched it?

On purpose?

Even after knowing what the previous 3 movies were like?

Why would you do a thing like that?

You watched it?

On purpose?

Even after knowing what the previous 3 movies were like?

Why would you do a thing like that?

Can only concur. I had the opportunity to watch this film for free at the cinema and still walked out 2 minutes in.

Had another viewing of Alien the original. Just as creepy as when I first watched it back in 1980 and the special effects have stood the test of time. An excellent Sci Fi thriller. I rate it very high 9.5/10

THE HOMESMAN

I'm going 8.2 because Tommy Lee Jones almost made me cry and he has never done that before.

Back
Top Bottom