• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Batman: Assault On Arkham
6/10
So this is a movie with the Suicide Squad in it, which as far as I can tell is when they use villains to do the dirty work (This time with bombs in their necks to keep them on track)
And it mostly works
The movie itself is pretty solid, although the central premise is basically forgotten by the end in favor of just randomness
And the characters are interesting but never really got a time to shine in any individual way
And that is a big problem because they never really take the villains far enough
If they went for more then this could have been great
As it is, it was a solid movie with some missed potential

You watched it?

On purpose?

Even after knowing what the previous 3 movies were like?

Why would you do a thing like that?

Can only concur. I had the opportunity to watch this film for free at the cinema and still walked out 2 minutes in.

Dinobots! They promised me dinobots!
And I pirated anyways, wasn't like I paid for it.

Can only concur. I had the opportunity to watch this film for free at the cinema and still walked out 2 minutes in.

Dinobots! They promised me dinobots!
And I pirated anyways, wasn't like I paid for it.

Wait.

You broke the law, risked huge fines and imprisonment, in order to watch a Transformers movie that you knew would suck big sweaty donkey balls?

*boggle*

In The Cut an older movie starring Meg Ryan and John? or Mark? Rufalo. This flick is rated R but it's almost an x rated. Ryan's character walks into a scene where Rufalo is receiving a blow job, but you actually see the real thing, not simulated.
The plot revolves around the Meg Ryan character in trying to find herself. A little too long for my liking, but nevertheless a good movie. 7.5/10

Starship Troopers: Invasion
4/10

Another addition to the Starship Troopers franchise, this time as a 3D animated film by a Japanese company. Although it was made by a company with a different name, it looks like it was made by the same people who made the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie, and shares many of the same flaws, although it sucks a lot less than the horrible movies made before.

If you read the original novel, it contains powered armor reminiscent of mecha, and here the Japanese gave the powered armor the full anime treatment, which I suppose was to be expected.

Don't you just love a foreign film dubbed in English? It's very amusing watching the actors lips still moving or not at all during the dialogue.

I watched Transformers 4....I thought it was pretty shit...4/10 and not enough dinobots. Coz when your trailer shows off fucking dinobots, I expect more fucking dinobots and not just in the last 15 minutes.
Dude, spoiler alerts! Some of us are waiting for all 7 films to come out before watching all of them back to back in a masochistic marathon of cinematic pain and suffering.

Pain and Gain: 7/10
this was... really surprisingly good.
it was a decent little crime action/thriller film, it was funny, it had some amazing performances by several people, and it all came together very beautifully.

one of those moments where you go "oh, shit, that's right - michael bay used to make films that were actually entertaining"

it was a decent little crime action/thriller film, it was funny, it had some amazing performances by several people, and it all came together very beautifully.

one of those moments where you go "oh, shit, that's right - michael bay used to make films that were actually entertaining"
He did? You may be thinking of Jerry Bruckheimer.

I liked Pain and Gain too, but then I read how it's based on a true story and how it bothered some of the victims' families that the killers were made to look sympathetic, and it made me sad and made me question all my movie watching activity.

I would say more but Sopranos is on...

The Amazing Spiderman 2
4/10
So this is the troubled second act of the new Spiderman movies
And I can see why it got alot of criticism
The pacing is very erratic, and there are long periods where this movie just kinda shuffles around and nothing gets accomplished
I would say that if they cut a bit of the filler out of this movie then it would be easier to sit through
The villains also needed alot more screen time, mostly because the extra filler material meant that you got long stretches without them even being present
Now I didn't mind the villains as they were, I thought Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan both did well with what they had, and it was more that they were underused and not through any fault with the portrayels
So if they had upped the ante and used the villains more then this movie would have been pretty good
The acting was all solid aross the board, they had alot of interesting ideas and there was a good plot twist at the end
So much potential............wasted

Mr Peabody and Sherman

6/10
Ok so I never watched the original show and honestly knew nothing about this movie going in apart from one person telling me it was "pretty good"
And it was a solid movie
It has some good gags, usually the ones with Mr Peabody being the funniest
The plot is good enough to hold everything together, a bit formulaic and the central conflict is a bit on the weak side but good enough that you can still enjoy it
And the voice acting is all fine
So worth the watch

My Sisters Keeper
4/10
The initial setup is a girl who was concieved as a "Donor baby" for her cancer stricken older sister, who decides she doesn't want to donate anymore and so sues her parents for the rights to her own body
This sounds like an interesting setup to explore the ethical dilemma
Except that is basically a subplot in the movie, which instead shifts to random stories of the other family memebers and the older sister unfortunatley none are as interesting as the initial plot
Now this movie is well acted all round
But the plot is very muddled and often overly melodramatic
it could have been an interesting exploration of a tough subject
Instead it just kinda falls flat in the end

Chernobyl Diaries - 4/10

All points for decent acting and creepy excellent premise.

The buildup is decent, but the actual payoff is lame and the ending even lamer.

People run around screaming in the dark and never seriously consider just leaving town getting picked off one by one by radioactive zombies. In the end the survivor is not rescued.

The General's Daughter

6/10

A routine, predictable and often melodramatic thriller. It was nice to see Madeleine Stowe, one of my favorites for a long time, as one of the leads.

Chernobyl Diaries - 4/10

People run around screaming in the dark and never seriously consider just leaving town getting picked off one by one by radioactive zombies. In the end the survivor is not rescued.

Thanks. I've had this downloaded for almost a year now. Been wondering if it's worth my time. Good to know it isn't. Thanks for saving me the effort.

nope.

bad boys, the rock, armageddon, the island - all were pretty stupid, i'm not saying any of them were good movies, but i consider them all to be *entertaining*
pearl harbor and the transformer movies have all been incredibly stupid, and not entertaining.

also... jerry bruckheimer is a producer, not a director - he's never actually directed anything.

nope.

bad boys, the rock, armageddon, the island - all were pretty stupid, i'm not saying any of them were good movies, but i consider them all to be *entertaining*
Still waiting for an entertaining one to be listed.
pearl harbor and the transformer movies have all been incredibly stupid, and not entertaining.
I'm not exactly certain how you differentiate Transformers from the movies you listed above. They all suffered the same issues.

also... jerry bruckheimer is a producer, not a director - he's never actually directed anything.
But he was at least involved with a few decent films in his earlier days.

Still waiting for an entertaining one to be listed.
good for you.

I'm not exactly certain how you differentiate Transformers from the movies you listed above.
by using this crazy new thing that just came up with called subjectivity - using it, you can have points of view different from other people. it's fucking crazy.

Chernobyl Diaries - 4/10

Thanks. I've had this downloaded for almost a year now. Been wondering if it's worth my time. Good to know it isn't. Thanks for saving me the effort.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom