• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

End of Watch.

Powerful film about a pair of LA cops dealing with the stress of patrolling some of LA's most violent streets. Their banter with each other during down times is funny, but the danger they encounter as part of a normal workday is staggering. Not for billions of dollars would I choose that profession. Ironically, as a kid I wanted to be a cop, but that was just from watching too many Adam-12 reruns.

We just completed a series on Netflix, called The Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. It's a series of documentaries on big construction projects. Impressive and hair-raising. My only quibble: I'd like to have seen more of the technical detail in the planning. 8/10

Mrs Mandela. 8/10

Sophie Okonedo does a very impressive job and the film explains a lot about how she came to do the things that lost her my respect.

There's often a back story.

Her 8/10

An interesting film. Not action packed, the relationship between a man and an AI - well voice acted by Scarlett J.

Spike Jonze must be a pretty big sci fi fan - this is actually a hard SF film about the invention of pure AI and its wholesale move to a post-physical existence as seen through the lens of a singe relationship. There a few ideas borrowed either directly from a bunch of well-known books or adapted slightly. Predictions I made within the first 15 minutes played out as you would expect them to but that actually made it a better film, self consistent and in the end quite touching. The world in which it is set is a bit unbelievable though - picture an expanded google campus populated by square hipsters where writing letters for a living buys you a massive apartment in the CBD. There is also a dearth of what you would typically call masculine as opposed to male characters.

Last edited:
Green Lantern The effects are "out of this world". The plot not so. It's so predictable. But if you're a SF fan, it's worth a look I suppose. 5/10

Broken City - 2/10

Very blah drama about city politics and murder.

Green Lantern The effects are "out of this world". The plot not so. It's so predictable. But if you're a SF fan, it's worth a look I suppose. 5/10

You rated that far higher than I would have.

I liked that actor in Blade 3, and I still think he would make a decent Deadpool with the right writers.

The First Time I was 20 7.5

An unhyped look at fitting in and being true to yourself as a teenager. Missed the start, enjoyed the rest.

Blood and Wine

8/10

A very good contemporary noir where the strength of the film lies not in the rather pedestrian crime plot, but in the complex and believable character interactions. A great cast is headed by Jack Nicholson and Michael Caine, joined by Judy Davis, Stephen Dorff and Jennifer Lopez.

sxtape

This film is not about a sex tape gone horribly wrong. It's about a playful, thrill-seeking artist(Jill) and her filmmaker boyfriend(Adam, who we don't see for most of the film because he's the one holding the camera) who decide to sneak into an abandoned hospital in hopes of possibly using it in an upcoming art show. Sex does occur, it's just not the purpose of the tape.

I actually found the lead couple rather likeable, an unusual feat for a found footage film. Jill's fun to watch and Adam's motivations for continuing to film even once the horror begins are understandable. There are only two other significant characters and their personalities and interactions with the leading couple work fairly well. I felt the writers did a decent job of limiting the characters' options, although given the fact that

the whole thing was probably caused by Jill getting possessed

they could've gone in a different direction with the setting.

7/10

Dracula (1931)
6/10
The original Dracula movie starring Bela Lugosi is interesting
But I'm not sure I liked it as much as say the Wolfman
When it came to this movie Bela Lugosi is the stand out performance as the creepy "Count Dracula" and Dwight Frye also does well as the crazy minion Renfield
But the other actors just don't rise to match them, and I felt that they kinda let down some of the scenes
So while it is pretty awesome to see the original Dracula I wasn't as impressed by it as I thought I would be

The Wolfman (1941)

7/10
So I preferred this one over the Dracula movie
I thought the actors all played their parts well, and the story was well put together
The only thing I would have liked would have been more appearances of the actual werewolf form in the movie as he is rarely onlong enough to truly appreciate the makeup and action but that was a minor quibble
In the end what they showed was definitely entertaining and well presented

The Razor's Edge This one is so tied up with my life that it is hard to put a number on it.

I think it proves that Bill Murray is not just a comic actor.

Taoism Drunkard (or Shaolin Drunkard) 1984.
One of the oddest movies I've ever seen. Great fight sequences, including a couple with a giant watermelon with teeth. Either five stars or one, depending on your mood.

- - - Updated - - -

The Razor's Edge This one is so tied up with my life that it is hard to put a number on it.

I think it proves that Bill Murray is not just a comic actor.

One of my favourite books. I have wanted to see this for some time. I'll have to make the effort.

Blended Starring Adam Sandler. enough said. Run for your dear little lives away from this stinker. I would rather sit through another showing of Sharkanado than this crap. 1/10

Godzilla 2000 (2000)

Godzilla fights something to protect the earth while destroying it.

Or something like that.

Bad dubbing. Incoherent plot. Hilarious special effects.

The man-in-a-rubber-suit fights are fairly good at times.

5/10

Horrible Bosses A trio of disgruntled buddies conspire to murder their bad bosses. The laughs are far and few apart. What's wrong with the wretch who knocks back Jennifer Astin's character's attempts to seduce him??????? The guy needs a psychiatrist asap.
The reason I don't rate this any lower is because of the stunning Jennifer Astin's body. 4/10

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

I'm sure there's a lot of Trek Nerds here who would love to tear it apart. Here's my post in this thread about it, a few pages back

http://talkfreethought.org/showthre...y-and-how-would-you-rate-it&p=25468#post25468

I for one ALWAYS enjoy the "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" point of view.

I liked Star Trek Into Darkness. And I liked Wrath of Khan.

Back
Top Bottom