• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Last Jedi

Can’t say it grabbed me. That may be due to tiredness as I went to the cinema to watch The Force Awakens which I still love. Far too much filler in the middle. The last third did grab me though, and frankly it keep me guessing what the hell was going to happen next. And that includes what the next movie could be about. This sequel trilogy may not be the type of trilogy we’ve been used to.
I intend to watch it again when less tired tomorrow. So worth a look, but you were going to anyway weren’t you.

The Last Jedi

Can’t say it grabbed me. That may be due to tiredness as I went to the cinema to watch The Force Awakens which I still love. Far too much filler in the middle. The last third did grab me though, and frankly it keep me guessing what the hell was going to happen next. And that includes what the next movie could be about. This sequel trilogy may not be the type of trilogy we’ve been used to.
I intend to watch it again when less tired tomorrow. So worth a look, but you were going to anyway weren’t you.

We can't see it for another 2 days, lucky bastard.

Star Wars Ep. 8 - The Last Jedi
9/10

One of the better Star Wars movies ever.

Bonus: the Porgs are not as annoying as the trailer made them out to be.

9/10

That is sending mixed signals. One of the better ever? Attacks of the Clones was one of the better films, when compared to I, III, VI, and VII. Is it Empires Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi type good?

Just saw the Last Jedi. It was so bad. The humor, the dialog, and the acting was just so cringy. It had some surprise twists that I didn't see coming, but I also didn't care about them.

9/10

That is sending mixed signals. One of the better ever? Attacks of the Clones was one of the better films, when compared to I, III, VI, and VII. Is it Empires Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi type good?

Might be better than Empire Strikes Back.

Finn had a real character arc from coward to hero. Po turns out to be a jump-the-gun hothead, but still a ridiculously good pilot. Rey and Kylo are as good as ever: both of them conflicted between the dark and the light. We learned about Luke's past and he is as deeply flawed as, well, any of the other Skywalkers.

9/10

Finn had a real character arc from coward to hero. Po turns out to be a jump-the-gun hothead, but still a ridiculously good pilot. Rey and Kylo are as good as ever: both of them conflicted between the dark and the light. We learned about Luke's past and he is as deeply flawed as, well, any of the other Skywalkers.

Certainly it's good. Better by far than VII. Perhaps even comparable to The Empire Strikes Back. But I won't quite go as far as 'better than'.

I did really like it. It didn't take itself too seriously; but it didn't go too far with the humorous elements, and the plot wasn't subordinate to them.

And they had the sense not to try to explain those things that were nonsensical; such things are inevitable in SciFi, but as long as they are few, and (most importantly, not explained), they work well. And that happened here.

It's Star Wars done well, revised effectively for the modern world. Ep VII was nostalgia central, and that was both good and bad. But it suffered from a lack of mystery. Ep. VIII was a genuine proving ground for the new characters, and they held up very well.

The comparison to Ep V is apt. But IMO it's just a smidgen short.

OTOH, I was the right age for this stuff back then, so perhaps my standards are too high.

Certainly it's good. Better by far than VII. Perhaps even comparable to The Empire Strikes Back. But I won't quite go as far as 'better than'.

I did really like it. It didn't take itself too seriously; but it didn't go too far with the humorous elements, and the plot wasn't subordinate to them.

And they had the sense not to try to explain those things that were nonsensical; such things are inevitable in SciFi, but as long as they are few, and (most importantly, not explained), they work well. And that happened here.

It's Star Wars done well, revised effectively for the modern world. Ep VII was nostalgia central, and that was both good and bad. But it suffered from a lack of mystery. Ep. VIII was a genuine proving ground for the new characters, and they held up very well.

The comparison to Ep V is apt. But IMO it's just a smidgen short.

OTOH, I was the right age for this stuff back then, so perhaps my standards are too high.

The original trilogy has far less nostalgia value for me.

Just saw the Last Jedi. It was so bad. The humor, the dialog, and the acting was just so cringy. It had some surprise twists that I didn't see coming, but I also didn't care about them.

This is how I see almost every Star Wars movie. The only reason I cut the original slack is because of when it was made. And the only reason Empire Strikes Back is given so much credit is because the acting rose to the level of marginal. But utter dogshit acting is like a staple of the franchise. It's like in pre-production, they have a series of meetings to achieve fan expectations by methodically designing methods to ensure shitty acting and wretched dialogue.

I still catch one of the prequel trilogy films from time to time and they're so fucking cringeworthy. Were it not for the moviegoing Trump-voter equivalent who'll support something no matter how goddamn dumb it is, there wouldn't have been another Star Wars movie made after Phantom Menace.

And how fucking colossally stupid was the death star reboot in that one ... what's-it-called before Rogue One (which, okay, finally had decent acting). Anyway, what a hunk of shit that was. You build some thing to kill planets with, but first you have to suck up an entire sun to make it work so you can shoot the planet. It never occurred to anyone on the writing team to think, "how about they just suck up the fucking planet in the first place and cut out the sun that's obviously way too big to fit inside of it???"

Or better yet, how about something besides a goddamn death star?

What are there, two of these fifty fucking movies that don't revolve around a planet blower-upper thing? Apparently a new idea costs more than all the sales generated from these movies combined.

God, what a stupid franchise.

This is how I see almost every Star Wars movie. The only reason I cut the original slack is because of when it was made. And the only reason Empire Strikes Back is given so much credit is because the acting rose to the level of marginal. But utter dogshit acting is like a staple of the franchise. It's like in pre-production, they have a series of meetings to achieve fan expectations by methodically designing methods to ensure shitty acting and wretched dialogue.

I still catch one of the prequel trilogy films from time to time and they're so fucking cringeworthy. Were it not for the moviegoing Trump-voter equivalent who'll support something no matter how goddamn dumb it is, there wouldn't have been another Star Wars movie made after Phantom Menace.

And how fucking colossally stupid was the death star reboot in that one ... what's-it-called before Rogue One (which, okay, finally had decent acting). Anyway, what a hunk of shit that was. You build some thing to kill planets with, but first you have to suck up an entire sun to make it work so you can shoot the planet. It never occurred to anyone on the writing team to think, "how about they just suck up the fucking planet in the first place and cut out the sun that's obviously way too big to fit inside of it???"

What are there, two of these fifty fucking movies that don't revolve around a planet blower-upper thing? Apparently a new idea costs more than all the sales generated from these movies combined.

That was the most glaring error in ep VII - the original Death Star was a weapons platform that could destroy a planet. How? I don't know or care. Where does it get the energy required? I don't know or care. It's a mystery. It just works. Someone dramatically barks an order, there are some cool sound and visual effects, and the planet is reduced to rubble.

The new super weapon worked by doing a bunch of stupid impossible shit to stars that clearly made no sense on any level. That's just too stupid. FAR better if it just did planet killing the same way that the old one did - by whatever mechanism the viewer felt like imagining. But then it would be just the same as the old one, and the film would just be a remake of A New Hope. Which it really was anyway.

If you are going to put out a star, then that's a pretty good weapon all on its own. Extinguish a star, and the planets orbiting it die - there's no need to do anything else to kill the planet(s). If you want to destroy a planet, just accelerate a big rock at it. You have some kind of spaceship drive that can shift the Death Star, so just bolt one of those to a nearby moon, and let gravity do the hard yards - boom, no more planet (and more photogenic explosions than you get if you snuff out the parent star).

Whatever - the big bad in ep VII was pathetic, and it spoiled the movie. The big bad in Eps IV - VI was pathetic, but by not trying to explain it, the movies were able to survive.

As for the prequels, I saw The Phantom menace with some hope, which was totally dashed. I STILL haven't seen Ep II or III, as a result; As far as I am concerned, A New Hope was the first movie in the series, up until Rogue One, which was a decent prequel.

It's Star Wars - on some level, it's meant to be stupid, and is just a vehicle for showing off the latest SFX. But there's stupid, and then there's Phantom Menace stupid. The Last Jedi is, IMO, one of the better offerings from this very patchy franchise. It's stupid only in the ways that are forgivable in this genre.

That was the most glaring error in ep VII - the original Death Star was a weapons platform that could destroy a planet. How? I don't know or care. Where does it get the energy required? I don't know or care. It's a mystery. It just works. Someone dramatically barks an order, there are some cool sound and visual effects, and the planet is reduced to rubble.

The new super weapon worked by doing a bunch of stupid impossible shit to stars that clearly made no sense on any level. That's just too stupid. FAR better if it just did planet killing the same way that the old one did - by whatever mechanism the viewer felt like imagining. But then it would be just the same as the old one, and the film would just be a remake of A New Hope. Which it really was anyway.

If you are going to put out a star, then that's a pretty good weapon all on its own. Extinguish a star, and the planets orbiting it die - there's no need to do anything else to kill the planet(s). If you want to destroy a planet, just accelerate a big rock at it. You have some kind of spaceship drive that can shift the Death Star, so just bolt one of those to a nearby moon, and let gravity do the hard yards - boom, no more planet (and more photogenic explosions than you get if you snuff out the parent star).

Whatever - the big bad in ep VII was pathetic, and it spoiled the movie. The big bad in Eps IV - VI was pathetic, but by not trying to explain it, the movies were able to survive.

As for the prequels, I saw The Phantom menace with some hope, which was totally dashed. I STILL haven't seen Ep II or III, as a result; As far as I am concerned, A New Hope was the first movie in the series, up until Rogue One, which was a decent prequel.

It's Star Wars - on some level, it's meant to be stupid, and is just a vehicle for showing off the latest SFX. But there's stupid, and then there's Phantom Menace stupid. The Last Jedi is, IMO, one of the better offerings from this very patchy franchise. It's stupid only in the ways that are forgivable in this genre.

In Star Trek, the plot exists to serve as a vehicle for various symbols and metaphors which represent things in the real world. The real conversation is what the symbolism is telling you about the real world, and they're willing to tell a less compelling story in order to facilitate whatever conversation they want to have through those symbols.

In Star Wars, they go the other way around. To the extent that symbols exist, they exist only to enhance the story and plot.

So why did Starkiller Base need to eat stars in order to fire? Because that created a countdown timer that made the actions of the heroes more desperate and therefore more exciting. It's just an artificial restriction on when the heroes can complete various tasks. The fact that it introduces plot holes is irrelevant.

Star Trekslow and smart
Star Warsfast and dumb
Ghost in the Shellfast and smart

If you want fast and smart, watch Ghost in the Shell (and not any of the current/recent incarnations, which are currently imitating the fast and dumb model from Star Wars).

In Star Trek, the plot exists to serve as a vehicle for various symbols and metaphors which represent things in the real world. The real conversation is what the symbolism is telling you about the real world, and they're willing to tell a less compelling story in order to facilitate whatever conversation they want to have through those symbols.

In Star Wars, they go the other way around. To the extent that symbols exist, they exist only to enhance the story and plot.
As I explained to my young daughter... Star Trek is a series of films. Star Wars is a series of very expensive commercials to sell toys.

9/10

ESB type good.

I think it needs a couple viewings. I haven't had a second viewing yet. But I keep seeing people who said they liked it ok on the first viewing, and then were more amazed on the second viewing and started likening its quality to ESB. And I can somewhat understand why, looking back. So it's clear I need to go see it again. And definitely want to.

I don't understand the cynicism of the people bashing it. A person either can lose himself into the movie and just go with it, or not. A bad movie prevents you being able to do that. A good movies helps you do it. This movie helps you do it, but not if you don't do your part and drop the judgments and let this movie be its own movie and not just whatever number within a "franchise".

Aw shit, I forgot to put up a trigger warning about the Start Wars film.

TRIGGER WARNING

Some of the characters in the Star Wars movie are positive portrayals of characters who are not white males. This could make certain white snowflakes feel less special, which would cause them to cry. People suffering from white fragility should not watch this movie. If you are the kind of person who used terms like "social justice warrior" or "political correctness" or "race card" or "white genocide," then watching this movie will almost certainly trigger you.

A Serious Man, 6/10 A Coen brothers movie starring Michael Stuhlbarg as Larry Gopnik, a professor of physics somewhere in Minnesota. The movie opens with a weird prologue which didn't seem to be connected with the rest of the movie. The movie is about how Larry is bombarded with events that are screwing up his life, wife wants a divorce, he's trying to get tenure at his university and people are trying to undermine him, a student is trying to bribe him to give a passing grade, a neighbor that messes with him and a delusional brother who sleeps on his sofa. He tries to connect with his jewish religion but has trouble getting access to the main rabbi. It's a strange movie but it does just enough to keep you engaged so that you watch, waiting on the next calamity to befall Larry.

Star Wars is just a SciFi fairy tale. I'm not sure how "good" they're supposed to be. They are fun, silly stories with space as the backdrop/setting.

Star Wars is just a SciFi fairy tale. I'm not sure how "good" they're supposed to be. They are fun, silly stories with space as the backdrop/setting.
I have a hard time taking statements like this seriously. Thor - Ragnarok was fun, Thor - Ragnarok was fantasy, Thor - Ragnarok was awesome all around, balancing everything just about right.

Granted, some people are suggesting that this latest movie is among the best of the Star Wars films... but then you read comments like, 'don't take it too seriously', which seems to make claims of VIII ~ V suspicious.

A Serious Man, 6/10 A Coen brothers movie starring Michael Stuhlbarg as Larry Gopnik, a professor of physics somewhere in Minnesota. The movie opens with a weird prologue which didn't seem to be connected with the rest of the movie. The movie is about how Larry is bombarded with events that are screwing up his life, wife wants a divorce, he's trying to get tenure at his university and people are trying to undermine him, a student is trying to bribe him to give a passing grade, a neighbor that messes with him and a delusional brother who sleeps on his sofa. He tries to connect with his jewish religion but has trouble getting access to the main rabbi. It's a strange movie but it does just enough to keep you engaged so that you watch, waiting on the next calamity to befall Larry.

Been on my 'to watch' list for some time now.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
7.5/10

This was the best SW movie since the original trilogy in my opinion. Though somewhat derivative of The Empire Strikes Back, it isn't a by the numbers remake like they did with Ep. VII lifting nearly plot point from Ep. IV. There is some humor sprinkled around, but the movie never really gets to the point where you would call it light-hearted, and there are some genuine tear jerking moments as well. The action sequences were mostly great, although I was pretty disappointed with the opening sequence, and that prepared me to hate the entire movie. Fortunately, it redeemed itself fairly quickly. My gripes had more to do with the physics involved (or lack thereof), and the fact that most of that was unnecessary for establishing the plot. It was obvious that they were going for the feel of a WWII air battle, and just didn't care that you can't do that in space.

Once the plot kicks in, however, we get a ton of character development from all of the major characters. Rey and Kylo Ren stand out in this regard. Both characters come a long way, and see considerable growth during the course of the movie. Poe and Finn also have their characters move forward to a lesser degree, and we even see more development from Luke and Leia. A couple of new characters are introduced, Rose and DJ, and they are both very likable for different reasons. The new locations, especially Canto Bight, are well realized, and given some depth as well.

Most of the action scenes are well done, even the opening scene that I disliked from the physics standpoint was well paced, but there is one light saber battle that is just absolutely gorgeous. I think this movie puts the new trilogy back on track, the previous film did not do it for me at all, but I think Rian Johnson did an admirable job with this one. It actually makes me excited for Ep. IX, but with another change in directors for that film, I will temper my optimism with caution.

Back
Top Bottom