• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

.....where Tuco says, "When you got to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

If only more baddies in films took this advice to heart. They are forever waffling on about this and that and crowing about how, now that they have the goodie well and truly cornered, their evil plans to take over the world can proceed unimpeded. All it is doing is giving the goodie time to wriggle out of the (badly secured as it turns out) handcuffs. Half the time the most important baddie leaves the scene before the goodie is killed, only to find out later that the several henchmen he had hitherto taken to be highly-trained assassins fell short of his expectations.

The underlying problem is that baddies are in many key ways less intelligent than goodies, and make poor judgements.

Michael Moore's Review Of "Joker"

On Wednesday night I attended the New York Film Festival and witnessed a cinematic masterpiece, the film that last month won the top prize as the Best Film of the Venice International Film Festival. It’s called “Joker” — and all we Americans have heard about this movie is that we should fear it and stay away from it. We’ve been told it’s violent and sick and morally corrupt — an incitement and celebration of murder. We’ve been told that police will be at every screening this weekend in case of “trouble.” Our country is in deep despair, our constitution is in shreds, a rogue maniac from Queens has access to the nuclear codes — but for some reason, it’s a movie we should be afraid of.

I would suggest the opposite: The greater danger to society may be if you DON’T go see this movie. Because the story it tells and the issues it raises are so profound, so necessary, that if you look away from the genius of this work of art, you will miss the gift of the mirror it is offering us. Yes, there’s a disturbed clown in that mirror, but he’s not alone — we’re standing right there beside him.

An essay on both the movie and the social implications.

Much more in the link.

I give it 0.5 stars, for Half-life

[video]https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cuck+movie+trailer&atb=v116-1&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=YO3ud8McShc[/video]

I had no idea a very young Keau Reeves was in this film.

Parenthood (film) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Parenthood_(film)
Box office. $126 million. Parenthood is a 1989 American comedy-drama film with an ensemble cast that includes Steve Martin, Tom Hulce, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton, Joaquin Phoenix, Keanu Reeves, Jason Robards, Mary Steenburgen, and Dianne Wiest.

8/10

Box office. $126 million. Parenthood is a 1989 American comedy-drama film with an ensemble cast that includes Steve Martin, Tom Hulce, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton, Joaquin Phoenix, Keanu Reeves, Jason Robards, Mary Steenburgen, and Dianne Wiest.

8/10

and delivering one of the best lines of the film:

You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.

8/10

You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.

And mother! [just saying]

8/10

I have fond memories of this film. My favorite part is when Gil's (Steve Martin's character) son is feeling ill, and he asks "you feel like you wanna throw up?"

His son says "okay" and proceeds to puke. Hilarious!

Me too. I came to motherhood relatively late and this film helped me identify my priorities before I had to do it on the fly.

I bought a copy but have never actually watched that copy. Hmmmm.

Just watched The Lunchbox. Recommend it.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyZ_Gu8rSZE[/YOUTUBE]

"A Vigilante"

A revenge movie, on the topic of domrstic abuse

10 out of 10, imo,.

The Da Vinci Code

Don't think this was one of Tom Hank's better efforts. But then again the plot leaves a lot to be desired. 5/10

El Camino, 7/10; The follow up movie to the TV series Breaking Bad. The movie picks up the story after Jesse has escaped his captors and Jesse trying to get money so he can use the services of a character that arranges for new identities. The pace gets a bit slow at times but overall it is an entertaining followup.

jojo rabbit: 9/10

it's warm and endearing, it's quirky and funny, it's serious and sombre. it examines faith, culture, personal independence, grief, loss, and the need for personal connection.
it does a lot of heart-string tugging but is never saccharine or exploitative about it, and all the while it's constantly funny in a joyous way.

kinda feels like every film taikka wattiti makes is stronger than the one before it, this solidifies that trend.

Terminator - Dark Fate - 5/10

It was enjoyable as an action movie and had some cool scenes and a couple of the actors were good and Arnie was funny, but this was, on the whole, a completely unecessary movie. It just rebooted the exact same plot line all over again with really nothing different added in. It's unsurprising that it failed as badly as it did since nobody was asking for this and it didn't offer anything to get people interested and excited in the franchise again.

It was also really annoying when half the lines in the movie were people expositing about how the entire plot is about choice when everything that happens in the plot is directly saying that choices don't matter and the future is inevitable no matter what you do, which completely undercuts the ending of T2, where the point of the movie is that our choices matter and we are able to change fate for the better.

It was also particularly bad that when John Connor died, a new savior immediately popped up and had to be killed. It made me spend the entire movie wondering why it was so important to save her when it seems that a human rising up to lead the war against the machines is as inevitable a part of fate as the machine uprising itself. If she dies, it seems that someone else would just do it for her like she did it for John.

The Ice Harvest

A dark comedy film noir starring John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton. Cusack and Thornton's characters steal $2M from a mob boss on Christmas eve. From eluding the hitman from the mob to double crosses and a twist at the end, it was a pretty good film that kept my attention quite nicely. Directed by Harold Ramis, it was good to see John Cusack in something other than a stinker.

I had never heard of this movie before and caught it on Showtime. Pleasantly surprised.

7/10

Die Hard. the 1988 original starring who else but Bruce Willis and the beautiful Bonnie Bedelia as his wife.

As action movies go, this is among the top movies Willis starred in. The plot which I imagine is well known to most film aficionados is that a New York cop takes on terrorists who have taken over his wife's office tower building.

Highly rated by most film critics at the time and it still is. 9/10

Die Hard. the 1988 original starring who else but Bruce Willis and the beautiful Bonnie Bedelia as his wife.

As action movies go, this is among the top movies Willis starred in. The plot which I imagine is well known to most film aficionados is that a New York cop takes on terrorists who have taken over his wife's office tower building.

More notably, it debuts a certain Alan Rickman who plays a very good villain.

Christmas is in fucking December. Why are we discussing Christmas movies in early November?? :mad:

Christmas is in fucking December. Why are we discussing Christmas movies in early November?? :mad:

'cause it's after Seven Days in May Day and we've traded in poles for reindeer. Its post scary time.

And because of your use of profanity you're not allowed any more Snickers.

You don't have to go cry in your beer bilby.

Back
Top Bottom