• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who likes vegetables?

Are you a vegetable lover?

• Total voters

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Are you a vegetable lover? Yes or no?

I know there's always qualifications. You know, like, I like this type of vegetable but not that kind, or cooked veggies, yes, raw, no, or whatever.

But for this thread, please choose a side in this important battle. This thread is for lighthearted humor while talking about vegetables. :)

My wife and I went to Bob Evans yesterday. I got a hamburger and substituted the french fries with broccoli. Yummy.

My wife and I went to Bob Evans yesterday. I got a hamburger and substituted the french fries with broccoli. Yummy.
It's a long wall, so there really wasn't any need to rush to volunteer to be first up against it. Would you like a blindfold and a cigarette?

The cigarette is made from vegetable matter...

Last summer, I got some hothouse tomatoes. 3" quite red and tasty. I scooped out some seeds and started them in a gallon milk jug cut in half. My little plants had a hard life. I would forget to water them, and they suffered. They struggled along til late fall and I transfered the survivors, three of them to a 3 gallon planter. They did much better despite cold weather. I brought them in during a freezing spell, then back outside. They are now 5 foot tall and still bedraggled. But I am now getting some tomatoes. About 3/4" in diamter. I have several more 3 gallon pots and I will start new plants as soon as I can harvest these and get seeds. Now I need to hope the squirrels don't find them.

I admit to being ambivalent about most squash, including zucchini, but can manage to eat a 'polite amount' in social situations. My absolute favorite is green beans; I could eat them daily!

I admit to being ambivalent about most squash, including zucchini, but can manage to eat a 'polite amount' in social situations. My absolute favorite is green beans; I could eat them daily!
I like green beans too, especially if they are french cut.

I liked green beans for most of my life, but lost the taste for them a while back. But like you are with squash, I can eat a polite amount when needed. :biggrin:

I like most vegetables, but lately we eat them in salads. Most of our salads contain spinach and other dark greens, but we add carrots, onions, sometimes tomatoes and even fruit and nuts. The vegetables we eat the most, other than salads are broccoli, zucchini and yellow squash as well as asparagus if we can find some that. meet our high standards. Mr. Sohy grows chard and if we can find nice, fresh chard, we buy it as well. Sweet potatoes are also a favorite among the starchy veggies. Just bake them and serve with butter, brown sugar and a little cinnamon. All of my pets love them.

We're not vegans, but we eat lots of vegetables. I've lost my taste for a lot of things as I've aged, but I still love vegetables, especially salads. I also love fried okra but I only eat it in my favorite restaurant that has a lot of traditional Southern food on the menu.

I once made up a recipe that I called okra stew. My former neighbor, who died quite a few years ago at the age of 94, loved it. I thought it was funny that a Jersey girl made up a Southern recipe that was greatly appreciated by an older Georgia girl. The stew is very easy to make. You sauté some Vidalia or other sweet onions in butter or olive oil, add a large can of chopped tomatoes, and then a couple of cups of some fresh or frozen okra. Simmer until the okra is cooked, add a can or package of frozen sweet corn and a can of black beans. Heat until hot. Serve it over rice. I might have added a little bit of sugar to the stew, but it's been years since I made it so I'm not sure. Whenever I made it, I'd give about half of to my former neighbor, who I really loved. She and I used to sit at her kitchen table and make fun of the stories in the Bible. Her daughter was a fundamentalist and sometimes she pretended to believe that shit, just to keep the peace. But, I digress, as usual.

The only way I like green beans is with onions and tomato sauce, although we rarely make it anymore. I had a recipe for that and oddly enough, it was something that my late mother in law also made. I don't like cabbage, other than in Cole slaw, or rutabagas and probably a few other veggies that I can't think of right now.

Anyone else have some easy veggie recipes that they want to share? I'm waiting for the humorous part of the thread. :p

Squirrels don't allow me to plant sweet potatos. Stored over winter. Sweet potatos start to grow slips, young vines that get planted for new sweet potato plants. My squirrels pull them right up. Replant, dig them up again and again till my slips expire.

I buy canned sweet potatoes. Microwave them. Add butter and salt and pepper. More lazy man cooking. Squrrels don't get any.

Anyone else grow green beans? They're not an easy crop to harvest but fresh green beans like fresh-from-the-garden anything tastes different than what you get in the store. I don't even use a knife when I prep the beans, just break off the stems and flash fry in a skillet with olive oil. Serve with a touch of salt. Killer.

Sweet potatoes are pretty easy to grow if you have the room and it's warm enough. Those cuties like to be microwaved or done in a skillet.

We had to give up half the veggie garden to make a driveway so it's squash, beans, tomatoes, beets and snap peas. Just not enough room for much else.

I love vegetables. I *LOVE* them. Mmmm MMMM! Big huge steaming pile of broccoli, grilled marinaded zucchini, lemon zest asparagus, brussels sprouts roasted with onions and garlic, green beans, kale, chard, tomatoes, steamed red cabbage. Radishes, bok choy, parsnips, spaghetti squash, peppers, peas, lettuce….

I have a 500 square foot garden and grow as much as I’m able (given that I’m not a green thumb).

Love veggies on my plate. Fill me up!!!!

Grape tomatoes in both black and red, jalepenos, large underripe tomatoes, and quince.
(Underripe because it was going to frost that night, so I brought them in to ripen in the window.

FD7BD974-5269-45B2-9EBF-D1C6388D2834.jpeg

Grape tomatoes, armenian melon (cucumber-ish), red string bean, onions, scallions, radishes, three kinds of peas (with playing card for scale)

42907DE8-F40C-47F3-AD5C-1EB5D0D9FAC2.jpeg

6FE47766-B167-4587-B611-8B407268FBD6.jpeg
516522C1-3F17-4B35-81C2-8F701EC855FC.jpeg

3D27767E-17C4-4ED7-8783-94B8EB6B9BCC.jpeg

Well I am absolutely disgusted by the blatant stealing of this poll by the leftist tree hugging communists.

But not surprised.

After all, by now everyone has heard of the infamous "vegetable plot".

I demand a recount, to be carried out by real red-meat eating patriots. Stop the steal!! Our fundamental rights are at steak!!

Grape tomatoes, armenian melon (cucumber-ish), red string bean, onions, scallions, radishes, three kinds of peas (with playing card for scale)

View attachment 42420

View attachment 42421
View attachment 42423

View attachment 42422
That all looks so amazing. Nice work. How are your radishes? I haven't grown radishes in decades. (And for some reason haven't eaten radishes for decades, either. How could I forget about radishes? I love radishes!) Anyway, I bought some radishes from the store and they're kind of bland. I like radishes with a bit of bite to them. I still put them in my salad, but can't help remembering my mom's homegrown radishes. They had a real zest to them.

I never met a vegetable I didn't like, though some I've never met. And asparagus turned on me some years back.
Eating Beef Sinigang in the Philippines, long (green) beans and bok choy were a couple favorites.
And Kamote Cue (sweet potato), sister of the Banana Cue were excellent; deep fried and carmelized. What better way to enjoy a vegetable.

Back
Top Bottom