• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who likes vegetables?

Are you a vegetable lover?

• Total voters
Despite a love of vegetables some folks like myself are unable to indulge certain ones. Members of the allium and nightshade families are out, as are beets and members of the radish family and cruciferous veggies for the most part. A little bit now and then but not regular consumption. I get to drooling when I read some of the recipes with garlic and onions and tomatoes and peppers but they're a no-no.

But there are enough other veggies and fruits around to make up. We have a big asparagus patch,, also rhubarb. The Mrs can handle the veggies I cannot so we grow tomatoes, some peppers and eggplant occasionally, but they are for her.

We grow more fruits than veggies over a season. Green beans and squash are the main veggies. The stored Butternuts last through February in the unheated basement and the fruit gets frozen mostly.

My daughter actually grew into an allergy to Celery (as well as tree nuts) around about puberty. I accidently triggered it a couple of times before we figured out what was going on. It had never occurred to me that Celery was something that one could be allergic to! It has been about 15 years, but as it wasn't done maliciously and she's still around, I think she's forgiven me....

About half or our annual crop is tomatoes. Almost all of them are in our little (8’x16’) greenhouse along with early greens and some root veggies. We have half barrel planters on our deck that hold cukes, squash and lots of herbs. Off the deck is a potato patch, bordered by sunflowers.
I am SO jealous of T.G.G.’s asparagus, and also wish fruits would be viable, but we’re too high (altitude) and too cold.
Time to get busy though - I want to start this year’s tomatoes under lights in the basement so we don’t have to wait until August to eat ‘em!

How are your radishes? I haven't grown radishes in decades. (And for some reason haven't eaten radishes for decades, either. How could I forget about radishes? I love radishes!) Anyway, I bought some radishes from the store and they're kind of bland. I like radishes with a bit of bite to them. I still put them in my salad, but can't help remembering my mom's homegrown radishes. They had a real zest to them
My radishes are quite zesty! I plant quite a few varieties, most are zesty. I love them.

How are your radishes? I haven't grown radishes in decades. (And for some reason haven't eaten radishes for decades, either. How could I forget about radishes? I love radishes!) Anyway, I bought some radishes from the store and they're kind of bland. I like radishes with a bit of bite to them. I still put them in my salad, but can't help remembering my mom's homegrown radishes. They had a real zest to them
My radishes are quite zesty! I plant quite a few varieties, most are zesty. I love them.
If they make my eyes water, they're perfect. :biggrin:

I have some mild dried chile peppers. Lots of seeds. I have a big planter full of weeds. So I will probably grow some chile peppers. I have a half gallon milk carton with a bunch of pomegranite trees well started. I need to find out where I will put them in the yard.

Sigh, my poor little tomato plants are taking a beating from the wind storms we have benn suffering this week. I also spotted a possum in the yard three days ago. I am getting a few tomatoes, but I am losing some to the wind storm.

Most days I have a bowl of mixed vegtables.

I keep cold cooked vegetables in the refrigerator. They keep longer than out on the counter especially in warm weather.

Been eating great huge bowls of salad most nights, and will continue to do so as long as the veggies are fresh (May-October). Our greenhouse is a little behind, but starting to look good!

Been eating great huge bowls of salad most nights, and will continue to do so as long as the veggies are fresh (May-October). Our greenhouse is a little behind, but starting to look good!
Same here. I buy lettuce in a bag because I know myself and if it takes extra work, I'm less likely to eat it. But I do chop the radishes, onions, and tomatoes. That's easy to chop a couple of radishes and a tomato when I make a salad. Onions I chop one or two at a time and keep them stored in the fridge and just pour some on my salad as I go.

I envy your green house. Fortunately for me, there's farmer's markets and the occasional neighbor or family will bring me a basket of their crops.

I have planted the little greenhouse more densely than ever before, squeezing about 2/3 more tomato plants into the same space as usual, reducing walking area and making it probably more work. Single lettuce plants fill the gaps between tomatoes, and space remains for squash, carrots, spinach, cukes, garlic and onions. My fear is that it might get too humid in there, with such a high percentage of the ground needing to be watered.

Last year a sunflower found its way in there, and grew a flower bigger than a dinner plate, so I planted one there this year. Over a hundred sunflowers appear to be coming up around the greenhouse and the potato patch - it should be pretty entertaining if the goddam squirrels don‘t decimate them.

My dogs love vegetables too. I know there are a few that aren't good for dogs, so I don't give those to them. But, if I say the word, broccoli, the dogs come running to the kitchen to get their share. The parrots love it too, especially my spoiled rotten 32 year old little cockatoo. Anyone else have a pet that loves veggies?

Back
Top Bottom