• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who's watching the eclipse tomorrow?

Some pictures of totality:
Total%20Eclipse%20of%20the%20Sun%20--%202017-08-21%2010.18.52.jpg

Total%20Eclipse%20of%20the%20Sun%20--%202017-08-21%2010.19.16.jpg

Nice photos! The pics didn't show up for me here and I thought you were making a joke. :D Then the quote feature showed me the urls and I was able to paste them into the url bar and see them. I think the spaces in the addresses is the problem.

We only had a partial eclipse up here. Thankfully, the clouds left a gap at just the right time for us to see the partial eclipse.

I'll be honest, I don't personally get all that excited about eclipses (but I don't want to rain on anyone who is excited about them). I saw a partial one a long time ago. It was neat, but seeing the sun become a crescent is no different than seeing the moon do the same thing, so then the only really unusual thing about it is everything getting darker and colder in the middle of the day.

We only had a partial eclipse up here. Thankfully, the clouds left a gap at just the right time for us to see the partial eclipse.

I'll be honest, I don't personally get all that excited about eclipses (but I don't want to rain on anyone who is excited about them). I saw a partial one a long time ago. It was neat, but seeing the sun become a crescent is no different than seeing the moon do the same thing, so then the only really unusual thing about it is everything getting darker and colder in the middle of the day.
Seeing Saturn in the telescope was one of the most glorious moments of my life. Astronomy can be like that for some. Glad the clouds parted for your area.

Two things:

1 - the moon becomes a crescent is in a different way than the sun does during an eclipse.
2 - a partial isn't nearly the spectacle that a total eclipse is. my understanding (since i've not yet witnessed one myself but have talked with friends who have) is that there's really no comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing Saturn in the telescope was one of the most glorious moments of my life. Astronomy can be like that for some. Glad the clouds parted for your area.

Yeah. I first saw Saturn through a scope atop my college's physics department building and it was completely and truly awesome. I recently took my five year old daughter to a star party and she got to see it too (and Jupiter with a couple of moons). Not sure she felt the same, though.

I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that nobody will be watching the eclipse tomorrow.
With permanent retina damage, Trump may. be seeing it every day for the rest of his life. ;)

First off, great pictures, lpetrich!

Next, some guys here at work had some welding mask glass they were using to view it, so I did take a brief direct glimpse through that. Back in my office, I put a white piece of paper on the floor and made a decent image using a pinhole punched in a Post-It note.

Finally, I'm already looking forward to April 2024 when the path of totality goes right over my part of the state! We had about 70% coverage this time. Oh yeah, I was also lucky enough to see the darkness back in May of '94 when we had another total eclipse pass over (though I was about 2 hours east of here back then).

2024 partial path:

I'll be watching in 2024, too. I'll have to travel a bit, but already stoked for it. :D

I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that nobody will be watching the eclipse tomorrow.

So you speak for the sun worshipers of Quazilcore Omnicron Cumulonimbus 6, in the beta quadrant?

I couldn't get eclipse or welding glasses. So I used a rearview mirror from a car and projected the eclipse onto an exterior wall. Had to block a reflection to make it clear, but it was pretty cool. I suppose the pinhole idea is cooler, but you can have a whole bunch of people looking at the eclipse together with a mirror... or people sharing a box.

20+ of us saw it. The funny thing was, it (in all its crescent glory) was projected above an outhouse.. because of how I aimed it. :D

I wonder why the NASA website doesn't mention using a mirror? F'in losers.

Yeah, I didn't know about the mirror trick. Next time I plan to have all the ideas and tools ready. I'll pick a nice spot along the path and travel to it with all my mirrors and glasses and cameras, etc.

So stoked for 2024! :hylidae:

Also stoked for 2021, but it will be in Antarctica so I'll have to be satisfied with video coverage.

2 - a partial isn't nearly the spectacle that a total eclipse is. my understanding (since i've not yet witnessed one myself but have talked with friends who have) is that there's really no comparison.

Your friends are right. I've seen several partials, up to 95%. But when that last crescent of the sun disappears, and you can take the glasses off, it's pretty mind-blowing.

I've already made "reservations" with friends in Columbus for 2024. They're right on the edge of totality.

Your friends are right. I've seen several partials, up to 95%. But when that last crescent of the sun disappears, and you can take the glasses off, it's pretty mind-blowing.

Agreed. It was quite a sight to behold.

Yeah, I didn't know about the mirror trick. Next time I plan to have all the ideas and tools ready. I'll pick a nice spot along the path and travel to it with all my mirrors and glasses and cameras, etc.

So stoked for 2024! :hylidae:

Also stoked for 2021, but it will be in Antarctica so I'll have to be satisfied with video coverage.
Supposed to be one in 2023 as well, but that'll be an ocular (I think), ring of fire, eclipse. I read somewhere that one will be in the 2170s-ish, and totality will last 6 minutes!

The next two totals are in 2019 and 2020 in South America, cutting across Chile and Argentina. Lucky those guys getting back-to-back totals. I'm looking forward to traveling with my kids to see 2024.

Back
Top Bottom