• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is it only white people that are racist?

An interesting conversation I had at the gym with a black fellow I met on this issue revealed the following.

He and I are about the same age (70+), both born in the south (me Arkansas, him Mississippi) and at one time he and I both never met any one who did not believe that all white people were superior to all black people. He said that what his black parents believed and every body he met in his segregated society believed the same.

He said after me moved out of the south, went into business and began to deal with white people on a routine basis he became aware of his prejudice against his own race.

My experience was parallel to his when I became aware that white people can be almost thing on the scales of intelligence, talent and moral and integrity.

An interesting conversation I had at the gym with a black fellow I met on this issue revealed the following.

He and I are about the same age (70+), both born in the south (me Arkansas, him Mississippi) and at one time he and I both never met any one who did not believe that all white people were superior to all black people. He said that what his black parents believed and every body he met in his segregated society believed the same.

He said after me moved out of the south, went into business and began to deal with white people on a routine basis he became aware of his prejudice against his own race.

My experience was parallel to his when I became aware that white people can be almost thing on the scales of intelligence, talent and moral and integrity.

I think it's called "second order racism". If you're exposed to racism against you long enough, you'll eventually start believing it's true. Just a normal quirk of the human mind.

I have almost the entirely opposite experience. I grew up somewhere where there were no non-white people at all. I had never met a non-white person until I went to College. My first experience of racism was when my non-white girlfriend broke up with me because of pressure from her parents not to date a white guy (at least that was her excuse). I have never consciously regarded non-white people negatively because I never had any assumptions about them (no positive assumptions either).

Of course, I am sure I must be unconsciously racist, as we are told everyone is, but I don't feel racist and certainly don't think I act racist. I notice I do have difficulty distinguishing between people of asian origin, which is I suppose racist itself, but is something that could presumably only be fixed with more interaction.

I have almost the entirely opposite experience. I grew up somewhere where there were no non-white people at all. I had never met a non-white person until I went to College. My first experience of racism was when my non-white girlfriend broke up with me because of pressure from her parents not to date a white guy (at least that was her excuse). I have never consciously regarded non-white people negatively because I never had any assumptions about them (no positive assumptions either).

Of course, I am sure I must be unconsciously racist, as we are told everyone is, but I don't feel racist and certainly don't think I act racist. I notice I do have difficulty distinguishing between people of asian origin, which is I suppose racist itself, but is something that could presumably only be fixed with more interaction.

I've met plenty of black girls who've said they'd never date a black guy.

I think your choice of words: inferior black students' makes my argument better than anything else.

Also you either don't understand stats or you're so caught up in the notion that blacks are inferior that it is clouding your ability to reason.

I'm talking about ones with lower scores. How is "inferior" not the right word to use?

You're so focused on stomping on anything that looks like racism that you can't see reality.

Please quit assuming you know or understand anything about what I think or believe. Your responses demonstrate that you do not.

If you don't want people to see you as racist, try not pairing the words 'black' and 'inferior.'

Why not say: lower scoring applicants. This, btw, does not distinguish between races of applicants. Isn't that what you've said you want?

Political correctness over sensible speech.

Racism is never sensible, whether in speech, in attitude, in law, in action.

Back
Top Bottom