• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why YEC can seem plausible

You would think god would help with the heavy lifting, like elephants.

From Answers in Genesis:
https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/global/was-there-really-a-noahs-ark-flood/
The Ark is unlikely to have survived without supernatural intervention

https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/noahs-ark-made-of-wood/
As for the compulsory miracles: God gave instructions to Noah, He brought the animals, He closed the door, and He even sent a wind. But was supernatural intervention the only thing holding Noah’s ark together?

Not necessarily.

Can we mention how pious Noah is drunk off his ass and naked post flood?
Then in Genesis 9 Ham didn't handle the nakedness in the right way so Noah cursed Ham's son Canaan and his descendants to be slaves....

Makes no sense. Noah intentionally sinned. His son accidentally sinned. His grandson gets the punishment. "Objection, your honor!"

And of course, this nonsensical passage has been the justification for countless lives ruined by slavery and all its negative side effects for millenia. Tell me again why I should be a Bible-believing Christian.

From Answers in Genesis:
https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/global/was-there-really-a-noahs-ark-flood/
The Ark is unlikely to have survived without supernatural intervention

https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/noahs-ark-made-of-wood/
As for the compulsory miracles: God gave instructions to Noah, He brought the animals, He closed the door, and He even sent a wind. But was supernatural intervention the only thing holding Noah’s ark together?

Not necessarily.

Necessarily. Physics dictates that it couldn't have stayed together by the natural operation of mechanics and physical law.

From your link:
Conclusion

While 330 feet (100 m) may well be the practical limit for a carvel-built hull with a single layer of planking, more appropriate construction methods would extend that boundary by at least 50 percent.

This claim is not supported by the preceding 'brain dump' of irrelevant data about joinery, and is a classic case of 'anything is possible, when you don't understand how anything works'.

Makes no sense. Noah intentionally sinned. His son accidentally sinned. His grandson gets the punishment. "Objection, your honor!"

And of course, this nonsensical passage has been the justification for countless lives ruined by slavery and all its negative side effects for millenia. Tell me again why I should be a Bible-believing Christian.

Nonsensical is right, but there's not enough to the story to justify saying that Noah sinned or Ham sinned. What's there is a fragment. Noah drinks wine and falls asleep naked in his tent. How is that a sin? Ham walks in and sees what has happened. How is that a sin? He tells his brothers, who take a cloak and walk backwards into the tent to cover up Noah. The RSV says, "When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him..." and then the cursing of Canaan. What had his youngest son done to him, and as you point out, why is the grandson dragged into this? It's like Dubya attacking Iraq because 19 Saudis carried out 911.

Quote:
''Uncovering nakedness (galah ‘ervat) is a euphemism for illicit sexual activity in Leviticus in particular, where Israelites are instructed not to “uncover the nakedness” of their relatives.''

''Uncovering nakedness elsewhere suggests sexual intercourse and or promiscuity (see Leviticus 18.6; Ezekiel 16.36-37), so some scholars have suggested that Ham became inappropriately sexual with his father. (Note that in Genesis 19, Lots daughters intentionally get their father drunk so that they can have sex with him.)''

Quote:
''Uncovering nakedness (galah ‘ervat) is a euphemism for illicit sexual activity in Leviticus in particular, where Israelites are instructed not to “uncover the nakedness” of their relatives.''

''Uncovering nakedness elsewhere suggests sexual intercourse and or promiscuity (see Leviticus 18.6; Ezekiel 16.36-37), so some scholars have suggested that Ham became inappropriately sexual with his father. (Note that in Genesis 19, Lots daughters intentionally get their father drunk so that they can have sex with him.)''
Verse 21 says that Noah uncovered himself.... then Ham "saw" his nakedness - and told his brothers.... Shem and Japheth "covered" the naked Noah.

The fact that a boat described in the bible is feasible proves what? Nothing supernatural. Back in the 50s Thor Heyerdahl crossed the Atlantic and Pacfic in boars based on ancient desgins using the same materials..

The Viking Lief Ericson crossed the Atlantic in an open Viking boat without a compass and made it to what is now Canada.

I have wondered what it must have smelled like in the boat with all the animals, and more importantly who got the job of shoveling manure.

I have sailed a viking ship of Erikson's type. They are amazingly unstable. Half the crew act as balast and run side to side to compensate. The hull is thin and flexes. Which is terrifying when you're out at sea.

Its built for speed. Everything is stripped down to help it go fast.

Any minor fuck up with the rigging and you need to go back on land to fix it

I can't imagine the size of the balls of those guys

Quote:

Verse 21 says that Noah uncovered himself.... then Ham "saw" his nakedness - and told his brothers.... Shem and Japheth "covered" the naked Noah.

Yes euphemisms that may be interpreted to mean what is not being openly described.

....''Uncovering nakedness elsewhere suggests sexual intercourse and or promiscuity....
It seems that the uncovering happened when Ham wasn't around....

The problem seems to be with viewing Noah's nakedness...

"....they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked...."

Though verse 24 could support what you're saying:

When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him

....''Uncovering nakedness elsewhere suggests sexual intercourse and or promiscuity....
It seems that the uncovering happened when Ham wasn't around....

The problem seems to be with viewing Noah's nakedness...

"....they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked...."

Though verse 24 could support what you're saying:

When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him

It is ambiguous. Yet the nakedness reference is used in relation to sexual relations in other verses.

One of the first things I noticed waty back when first on the forum is that atheists seem to know more about the bible than Christians.

There are several passages in the Bible that on the face of it don't make a lot of sense. This compels people to posit that there must be some deeper meaning, usually of a taboo nature. Noah's nakedness and Ham's sin, Balaam's talking donkey, David's "friendship" with Jonathan.

And yet evangelicals constantly tell me that we must accept scripture exactly as it's written. Explaining away non-credible passages (like suggesting that Methusaleh's advanced age in years is actually months) is dishonest.

Perhaps, but I don't see how we can do both. If Methusaleh truly lived almost a thousand years, then Noah stupidly cursed his grandson's descendants to slavery because his son accidentally saw Noah's bare bottom.

....Explaining away non-credible passages (like suggesting that Methusaleh's advanced age in years is actually months) is dishonest.....
I don't know of any YEC organisations or key figures claiming that Methusaleh's age was in months.... see post #390....

I think the genealogies are made up so then it is possible they intended to use literal years.

And yet evangelicals constantly tell me that we must accept scripture exactly as it's written. Explaining away non-credible passages (like suggesting that Methusaleh's advanced age in years is actually months) is dishonest.
Fortunately in Australia I have yet to meet an evangelical who accepts that (in italics) .

If the Bible is meant to be the inspired word of God, the Creator of the Universe, it shouldn't look like a collection of works written and compiled by ancient people based on their own understanding of the world.

If the Bible is meant to be the inspired word of God, the Creator of the Universe, it shouldn't look like a collection of works written and compiled by ancient people based on their own understanding of the world.
A counter-argument is that God wanted to communicate in a way that the people could understand - so that maybe the people at the time couldn't understand there being billions of years, or a spherical earth that orbits the Sun, or people using their head (rather than their heart, etc) to think....

Fortunately in Australia I have yet to meet an evangelical who accepts that (in italics) .

I bet Ken Ham knows a fair few though.

Back
Top Bottom