• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why YEC can seem plausible

Rome had a ste religion as part of overnce, common rituals.

Did the Romans or Greeks actually believe the gods as more than a reflection of human behavior?

Greek and Roman religion is fundamentaly different than Christian. Not human behaviour, but natural behaviour. The pagan gods are more embodiments of the forces of nature. They are powerful and destructive and don't care about humans other than what they can get humans to gve them.

That's why the pagan gods behave like a bunch of entitled children. You worship them because they can fuck you up. Not because they have earned your reverence.

Among the Roman elites 100 BC - 400 AD they were predominantly stoics or epicurean. Which is atheism. Technically stoics believed in a kind of god, but that God followed laws of nature

Rome had a ste religion as part of overnce, common rituals.

Did the Romans or Greeks actually believe the gods as more than a reflection of human behavior?

Greek and Roman religion is fundamentaly different than Christian. Not human behaviour, but natural behaviour. The pagan gods are more embodiments of the forces of nature. They are powerful and destructive and don't care about humans other than what they can get humans to gve them.

That's why the pagan gods behave like a bunch of entitled children. You worship them because they can fuck you up. Not because they have earned your reverence.

Among the Roman elites 100 BC - 400 AD they were predominantly stoics or epicurean. Which is atheism. Technically stoics believed in a kind of god, but that God followed laws of nature
You seem to be saying that both christian and Greek/Roman religion has humans separate from the rest of nature but that they differ fundamentally on this same point. To me they seem identical in that their gods are humans and both do childish things sometimes, reflective of the level of knowledge possessed by their inventors.

The Earth is a Circle, apparenty.
With corners, no less.
This is the main picture for the Wikipedia Flat Earth article....
1920px-Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

The corners are a form of the ends of the earth.... a ball has no ends...

Today I realised something...

Genesis 18:11
Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing.

Genesis 5:3-4
When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.

I think in the first passage Sarah was 90.... yet Eve would have been older than that but there was no problem with Eve....

That's one crazy model. How is gravity supposed to work, what keeps the oceans in place, the Sun and moon would not be seen to set or follow an arc from east to west, etc, etc.

Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing.

When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.

I think in the first passage Sarah was 90.... yet Eve would have been older than that but there was no problem with Eve....

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7Zp8DiU2c[/YOUTUBE]

That's one crazy model. How is gravity supposed to work, what keeps the oceans in place, the Sun and moon would not be seen to set or follow an arc from east to west, etc, etc.
I've been watching a lot of flat earth videos - usually they say that gravity doesn't exist and things fall because the Earth is accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/s2.... (it would be faster than the speed of light by now). About the oceans - they say "water always finds its level". The Sun and the Moon apparently have a circular path that changes depending on the seasons....

I've been watching a lot of flat earth videos - usually they say that gravity doesn't exist and things fall because the Earth is accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/s2.... (it would be faster than the speed of light by now). About the oceans - they say "water always finds its level". The Sun and the Moon apparently have a circular path that changes depending on the seasons....

There's no speed imposed limit to how long you can accelerate at a given rate. As velocity approaches c (which only takes about a year, from the perspective of a non-accelerating observer), time dilation effects become important. The Earthbound observer under constant acceleration wouldn't notice any issues on his flat Earth, but the effects on the appearance of, and apparent elapsed time in, the rest of the universe would be profound and bizarre.

That we do not see the rest of the universe behaving in bizarre ways due to our acceleration is a very strong hint that gravity is not caused by the acceleration of the flat Earth.

Of course, if the stars are nearby and attached to an enclosing 'firmament' that accelerates with the Earth, the whole system could accelerate at 9.81m.s-2 indefinitely and the occupants would never notice. They would, however, be easily able to determine that the stars were very near. Parallax measurements tell us that they are very not.

There's no speed imposed limit to how long you can accelerate at a given rate. As velocity approaches c (which only takes about a year, from the perspective of a non-accelerating observer)
Are you saying that it could accelerate beyond the speed of light?

There's no speed imposed limit to how long you can accelerate at a given rate. As velocity approaches c (which only takes about a year, from the perspective of a non-accelerating observer)
Are you saying that it could accelerate beyond the speed of light?

No, I am saying that it can accelerate forever and never quite reach the speed of light.

No, I am saying that it can accelerate forever and never quite reach the speed of light.
The flat earth acceleration isn't just about never-ending acceleration.... it is about always accelerating at 9.81 m/s2

usually they say that gravity doesn't exist and things fall because the Earth is accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/s2....

Part of the way we program missiles for flight is to take into account the variations in Earth's gravity. Places where the Earth's crust is denser have a detectably greater gravity than places where it's less dense.

We measure gravity to great accuracy, several decimal places, in the locations where we do the fine alignment testing of the missile's guidance systems. There's a different value in two different spots along the same wharf. The value for the lab in our building is different than in the guidance system assembly building across the road.

One could ask a Flat Earther to model how one could move about in a bus that's doing a constant speed on a level road but measure different accelerations in different seats on the bus?

THe Earth if it's shape was proportional (and outrageously exaggerated for purpose of demonstration) to the gravity at any given location:
gravity potato.jpg

usually they say that gravity doesn't exist and things fall because the Earth is accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/s2....
One could ask a Flat Earther to model how one could move about in a bus that's doing a constant speed on a level road but measure different accelerations in different seats on the bus?
One could ask that, but I think the Flat Earth movement is as legit as WWE competitions. Or a Devil's Advocate position that got out of hand.

Being a made up character would help with that.

The flat earth acceleration isn't just about never-ending acceleration.... it is about always accelerating at 9.81 m/s2

That's what I am talking about too.

If you accelerate at that rate indefinitely, you never quite reach the speed of light. Very strange things start happening to time, though.

If you accelerate at that rate indefinitely, you never quite reach the speed of light. Very strange things start happening to time, though.
If the velocity is accelerating then I thought it would eventually reach ten times the speed of light. Could you explain what would happen to time? Would it seem to stop?

If the velocity is accelerating then I thought it would eventually reach ten times the speed of light. Could you explain what would happen to time? Would it seem to stop?

That depends on your perspective.

Back
Top Bottom