• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will human population and economic activity exceed the Planets carrying capacity?

Will human population and economic activity exceed the Planets carrying capacity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The population (and resource) problem denial here is in some cases starting to resemble other forms of climate change denial, and the citing of genocide and vile consequences is a cousin of invoking Godwin's Law (analogy: there should be no knives as tools, cutlery and other useful implements, because of knife crime).

I am genuinely very, very surprised by some of the views expressed in this thread. And the repeated assertion that those acknowledging population as a factor and a problem (and a part of the solution) are being religious is bordering on farcical.

And no, Paul Ehrlich was not on the panel of that report.

Except that science is not on the side of the overpopulation madness, and "solving" climate change doesn't hurt anyone. If there weren't this whole history of eugenics and class warfare, I would be a lot less concerned about this issue, but if you're trying to pretend that history doesn't exist, you've got one hell of an elephant in your own room.

This is an elite upper class trying to seize control over the only resource the very poor are still permitted to have, while changing nothing about their own destructive lifestyles. None of the issues that have been raised in this thread require dead or unborn children to solve, but it's just so much easier to blame the poor for everything. If they could just stop fucking each other, we could all have enjoy our fancy consumer hardgoods without guilt about where they came from.

Except that science is not on the side of the overpopulation madness.

Who said otherwise? All I would say is that science is generally on the side of saying that population is an issue and a problem and that it can be part of the solution.

But you might as well join the growing list of those equating 'population issues or measures' with things like 'population madness'.

... and "solving" climate change doesn't hurt anyone.

Nor do reasonable, non-coercive Family Planning policies, which as far as I know, is all anyone here has suggested.

The calculation for 'unmet need' for Family Planning worldwide cited in the article back in the thread estimated that 16-27% savings on projected CO2 emissions could be achieved, before 2050, and more before 2100. None of the measures suggested were coercive. If that's an overestimate then so what if it's really only half that, for example? It's a comparatively cheap and feasible approach that has already proved successful.

I take it you're also aware than many of the people in question, in many countries, perhaps especially women, want more readily available Family Planning options? And that many governments and experts in non 'western' countries (and not just in Africa) have been concerned about population growth in their own countries, and want to do something about it (and in many cases have, on their own initiatives) without resorting to coercive measures?

And if there are or have been concerns about coercion, or other questionable policies and practices, then surely we should decry those without also decrying the situations where there aren't or weren't. Not throw the baby out with the bathwater as it were.

Last edited:
Hi pollyanna, er, skepticalbip. Hate to disabuse one so optimistic, BUT, Southern CA bread beld in US is becoming alkaline from overuse of water while access is dropping to over 1000 feet down, similar, the alkalinization that is, as happened in Libya after Gaddafi's desert bloom experiment. Florida is drowning from climate change as are much of the agrastates near oceans world wide. People at the root of things are fleeing the ME due to heat and water shortages. Expect India to follow. Russian's are crazy to there's that, and Texas needs rain (sorry Kingston trio). Then there's the harvesting of the planet's oxygen belts in SE asia and S america.

Can't you just feel the gloom and doom .....

Around 7000 people from central-south america in a caravan headed for our border. We haven't heard much lately on the refugees flowing across EU borders.

Does anyone really think the population should get larger? If you are living on a large island maybe it doesn't sink in. Back in the 70s a philosophy prof I had attended a state department seminar. The gist of it was sooner or later the have nots will try to overwhelm the haves.

We are seeing it beginning on our southern border.

Yeah, I read that. Isn't it amazing how, at the border, 1500 became 7000, then 10,000. It's like, um. God making miracles. then there's the 1100 mile hike they need to complete to get to the US border, on foot,

Sure it should. there' aren't enough adults in europe to sustain their economies at current levels without immigrants. That's one good reason they were , at first, welcomed by the 'enoughs'. Then tribalism rose it's ugly head and racism took hold of the discussion.

Except that science is not on the side of the overpopulation madness.

Who said otherwise? All I would say is that science is generally on the side of saying that population is an issue and a problem and that it can be part of the solution.

But you might as well join the growing list of those equating 'population issues or measures' with things like 'population madness'.
The panel of experts of the Royal Society that you appealed to said otherwise. To quote, ''As the world population grows toward 10 billion, consumption of water, food and energy is expanding at a rate that cannot be maintained without depleting the planet’s resources".

Unless you can handwave otherwise, that certainly sounds like they, and you by agreeing with them, are saying that population must be reduced or we will deplete the planet's resources. I see nothing in that assessment that has anything to do with CO2 emissions and everything to do with "too damn many people".

And worse, I can't really believe that they actually believe that the planet's resources would be depleted by that population. I am sure they are aware of the water cycle, how food is grown, and that nuclear power, tidal power, solar power, wind power, etc. is available. Regardless of the population level even if it were only one billion, fossil fuels will eventually run out.

ETA:
As a personal preference, I would like there to be fewer people because I enjoy "elbow room" but I certainly wouldn't advocate fear tactics like the doomscriers or even extraordinary measures like some I have heard just so I could have more room in the area I want to live.

Last edited:
Unless you can handwave otherwise, that certainly sounds like they, and you by agreeing with them, are saying that population must be reduced or we will deplete the planet's resources. I see nothing in that assessment that has anything to do with CO2 emissions and everything to do with "too damn many people".

Unbelievable.

Bordering on weapons grade stupid.

First of all, it's a report specifically on population issues, which says nothing about whether the writers also write on other matters.

Second, try actually reading the report:

"The carbon scenarios in this Chapter highlight the combined importance of both slowing population growth and reducing per capita CO2 emissions to stabilise the global climate."

As for any suggestions you might have regarding what the report may have missed vis-a-vis water, maybe you should write to the Royal Society and raise the issues. I'm sure they'll appreciate your assistance and give you better feedback than I can. The professors of Hydrology, Geography and Earth Sciences in particular.

Just don't tell them that you couldn't find mention of CO2 in their report, eh?

Honestly, I have had more intelligent, reasonable and informed conversations with small children than with you. I'm not kidding.

Last edited:

Unbelievable.

Bordering on weapons grade stupid.

Try actually reading the report.

"The carbon scenarios in this Chapter highlight the combined importance of both slowing population growth and reducing per capita CO2 emissions to stabilise the global climate."

As for any suggestions you might have regarding what the report may have missed vis-a-vis water, maybe you should write to the Royal Society and raise the issues. I'm sure they'll appreciate your assistance and give you better feedback than I can. The professors of Hydrology, Geography and Earth Sciences in particular.

Just don't tell them that you couldn't find mention of CO2 in their report, eh?

Honestly, I have had more intelligent, reasonable and informed conversations with small children than with you. I'm not kidding.

You didn't address their clear statement that 10 billion people would deplete the planet's resources. The planet will have at least 10 billion people shortly then level off at 9 to 12 billion unless there is a war that makes WWII look like a skirmish, a major catastrophe like an asteroid impact or supervolcano eruption or other natural disaster. The only other thing that can reduce this population number is authoritarian control.

The summary below that was quoted stresses that the "problem" is too fucking many people. Individuals around the world are already making informed and free reproductive choices so what do you think they are suggesting (though not stating) is the "solution" to the problem of too fucking many people "...that will address the twin issues of population and consumption." 10 billion is too many because it will deplete the planet's resources according to their report.

Quote;

''As the world population grows toward 10 billion, consumption of water, food and energy is expanding at a rate that cannot be maintained without depleting the planet’s resources. If we fail to address these two issues together, we face a grim future of economic, social and environmental ills, warns a new report prepared by a group of scientists and other experts for the Royal Society.

The report “People and the Planet,” published this week by the London-based society, examines trends in population and consumption and points to some stark realities:

* While population increase has been declining since the mid-1960s, experts project we will still add 2.3 billion people by 2050, much of it in increasingly crowded cities.

* Along with an increasing demand for basic needs, the gap between the haves and the have-nots is striking. For instance, the report says, “a child from the developed world consumes 30-50 times as much water as one from the developing world.” By 2025, the report says, 1.8 billion people could be living in areas where water is a scarce commodity.

* A similar gap holds for food and energy: While average consumption of calories has increased, in 2010 “close to one billion people did not receive enough calories to reach their minimum dietary energy requirements.” Per capita emissions of CO2 “are up to 50 times higher in high income than low income countries, with energy insufficiency a major component of poverty.”

“The world now has a very clear choice,” concluded Sir John Sulston, a fellow of the Royal Society and chairman of the report’s working group. “We can choose to address the twin issues of population and consumption. We can choose to rebalance the use of resources to a more egalitarian pattern of consumption, to reframe our economic values to truly reflect what our consumption means for our planet and to help individuals around the world to make informed and free reproductive choices. Or we can choose to do nothing and to drift into a downward vortex of economic, socio-political and environmental ills, leading to a more unequal and inhospitable future.”

''On a finite planet sustainability is not an option, it’s just a matter of how it is achieved. Will the imbalance be corrected by literally billions of deaths or by fewer births?'' John Guillebaud

Last edited:
Nothing needs to be done that has anything directly to do with population or reproduction at all

Of course it doesn't, because....

.. the problems are no longer there.

The problems are no longer there, so nothing needs to be done that has anything directly to do with them.

And obviously, Family Planning doesn't even get a mention.

I get the impression that you intended sarcasm. But everything you say here seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I am genuinely very, very surprised by some of the views expressed in this thread. And the repeated assertion that those acknowledging population as a factor and a problem (and a part of the solution) are being religious is bordering on farcical.

Surprise at the very existence of people who genuinely disagree with you, is one of the hallmarks of religious belief.

And if there are or have been concerns about coercion, or other questionable policies and practices, then surely we should decry those without also decrying the situations where there aren't or weren't. Not throw the baby out with the bathwater as it were.

Similarly, there's no need to passionately believe in a pseudo-scientific and class-biased version of population demography in order to see the ethical and moral benefits of allowing for family planning.

No one thinks that it would be a good thing for population to endlessly, exponentially expand. Those of us who've looked at actual population data simply know that it usually doesn't, absent certain economic and political circumstances. No one will need to be forced to adopt family planning methods, they will naturally seek it out if social inequalities level.

...there's no need to passionately believe in a pseudo-scientific and class-biased version of population demography in order to see the ethical and moral benefits of allowing for family planning.

Obviously, yes. But I don't think anyone here, as far as I am aware, believes, passionately or otherwise, in a pseudo-scientific and class-biased version of population demography. I'm not saying there aren't those in the world who do, or did.

No one thinks that it would be a good thing for population to endlessly, exponentially expand. Those of us who've looked at actual population data simply know that it usually doesn't, absent certain economic and political circumstances.

Again, yes, but who here or anywhere was suggesting that human population would expand endlessly? I think most are worried about how bumpy the ride is going to be during the growth yet to come, the levelling off and the decline.

No one will need to be forced to adopt family planning methods.....

And no one here is promoting that. I'm not even sure who does. Whoever it is, we can disagree with them.

I think your points are valid, I'm not sure why you bring them up here, that's all. Unless you are seeking agreement, which is fine and cool. There isn't enough of that in here, imo. :)

...they will naturally seek it out if social inequalities level.

If they can access it. I think a problem at the moment is that many millions can't or can't easily, or lack information or are misinformed, or dissuaded.

Last edited:
Christianity pouches procreation. There is a 'replenishment movement' in Christianity promoting large white families to counter minority growth, especially Latinos.

The bible says go forth and multiply. The Christian interpretation is that god gave the Earth to humans for consumption. The idea of Christian environmental stewardship is new. Requires new interpretation of scripture.

The Syrian refugees are primarily in camps supported by aid. Jordan is strained resource wise and has political stability concerns. The reports on Yemen is that they are mostly dead or dying. There is large scale migration in Africa across uncontrolled borders by people searching for any kind of work.

Christianity pouches procreation. There is a 'replenishment movement' in Christianity promoting large white families to counter minority growth, especially Latinos.
That sounds rather convoluted. You do know that a much, much higher percentage of Latinos are Christians than U.S. "white folks" are Christians don't you? Blacks have "white folks" way outnumbered in their respective Christian percentages too.

Are you perhaps suggesting that the churches are secretly telling this to only some select members of their congregation?

Quoting someone who makes baseless scare claims does not make those claims true.

For instance, the opening, "''As the world population grows toward 10 billion, consumption of water, food and energy is expanding at a rate that cannot be maintained without depleting the planet’s resources".

Merely reading such an unfounded opening claim should make any thinking person stop at that point and look for someone who knows what they are talking about. 10 billion people can not possibly deplete the planet's water (hell a hundred billion couldn't). The land area needed to produce our food supply has been decreasing while the population has increased (a larger population may or may not mean putting some of the land that has been laid fallow back under cultivation). Energy can only be depleted (at some time in the future) if we refuse to use alternative energy sources other than fossil fuels

The report is based on something. It is based population stats, resource use, growing demand as living standards increase, etc. We are already placing strain on our ecosystems with our current rate of consumption, which isn't going to improve when consumption rates increase due to rising living standards.
....snip....
It is based on the beliefs of a new religion that holds that anything humans do is destroying the Earth..

Not at all.

Nobody is claiming that we are destroying the Earth. The claim is that we are exceeding the carrying capacity of 7 billion plus humans. This is not the same as ''destroying the Earth.''

As to carrying capacity of the human population, that of course varies according to rate of consumption.

There are many open source sites available, that outline methodology, factors, calculations, etc;

data_EFformula.jpg

National Footprint Accounts

National Footprint Accounts (NFAs) provide the core data required for all Ecological Footprint analysis worldwide.

The Accounts measure the ecological resource use and resource capacity of nations over time. Based on approximately 15,000 data points per country per year, the accounts calculate the Footprints of more than 200 countries, territories, and regions from 1961 to the present.

The calculations in the National Footprint Accounts are based on United Nations or UN affiliated data sets, including those published by the Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nations Commodity Trade Statistics Database, and the UN Statistics Division, as well as the International Energy Agency. Supplementary data sources include studies in peer-reviewed science journals and thematic collections. Of the countries, territories, and regions analyzed in the National Footprint Accounts, 150 had populations over one million and typically have more complete and reliable data sets. For most of those, Global Footprint Network is able to provide time series of both Ecological Footprint and biocapacity.
Methodology

The Ecological Footprint is derived by tracking how much biologically productive area it takes to provide for all the competing demands of people. These demands include space for food growing, fiber production, timber regeneration, absorption of carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning, and accommodating built infrastructure. A country’s consumption is calculated by adding imports to and subtracting exports from its national production.

All commodities carry with them an embedded amount of bioproductive land and sea area necessary to produce them and sequester the associated waste. International trade flows can thus be seen as flows of embedded Ecological
Footprint.

The Ecological Footprint uses yields of primary products (from cropland, forest, grazing land and fisheries) to calculate the area necessary to support a given activity.''

It is based on the beliefs of a new religion that holds that anything humans do is destroying the Earth..

Not at all.
Yes, I see you found an equation. That equation has been used to try to scare the shit out of everyone since the 1960s because the deacons of the faith have found that people will believe anything if there is a formula involved.

I well remember the 1960s. At a world population of about four billion, the movement you now accept without question really got its start by predicting that humanity's overpopulation and overuse of resources would deplete the planet's resources and cause mass famine within the next decade. They keep slipping their predicted date of armageddon as the last predicted date passes with the planet in no worse shape (in some ways in better shape). The predicted date of armageddon continued to slip as later predicted dates passed without finding us all starved to death. It now looks like they decided to jump thirty years to 2050 to save themselves the embarrassment for a while - well maybe Ehrlich decided to move the date to until well after he died.

A question, did you bother to actually accept my challenge and do a little check to see how much water flows from the Planet's rivers each day and compare it to human use of water? Or did you just blindly accept the claim by the movement that humans will soon deplete the planet's water supply?

Not at all.
Yes, I see you found an equation. That equation has been used to try to scare the shit out of everyone since the 1960s because the deacons of the faith have found that people will believe anything if there is a formula involved.

I well remember the 1960s. At a world population of about four billion, the movement you now accept without question really got its start by predicting that humanity's overpopulation and overuse of resources would deplete the planet's resources and cause mass famine within the next decade. They keep slipping their predicted date of armageddon as the last predicted date passes with the planet in no worse shape (in some ways in better shape). The predicted date of armageddon continued to slip as later predicted dates passed without finding us all starved to death. It now looks like they decided to jump thirty years to 2050 to save themselves the embarrassment for a while - well maybe Ehrlich decided to move the date to until well after he died.

A question, did you bother to actually accept my challenge and do a little check to see how much water flows from the Planet's rivers each day and compare it to human use of water? Or did you just blindly accept the claim by the movement that humans will soon deplete the planet's water supply?

It's not just the formula. You can ignore the formula if you like, it won't change the evidence for the rate of degradation of ecosystems, clearing, habitat loss, etc, at our current rate.

Now imagine this activity in relation to rising living standards in terms of 10 billion inhabitants. Think in terms of 10 billion people consuming resources on a par with the average American, Englishman or Australian.

If you are realistic, it's not a pretty picture. It is a picture of humanity living on the edge of catastrophe.

Food security

Experts agree the planet can produce enough food for 11 billion people, but whether humans can do it sustainably, and whether consumers will ultimately be able to afford that food, are not guarantees.

Water security

Today, 2.7 billion people around the world face some water shortage in their daily lives. Clean, fresh water is a source of conflict in the U.S. Southwest, the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa. Most people expect these conflicts to grow in the coming years. But these water woes are just a foreshadowing of the problems to come if the world's population hits 11 billion people by the end of the century, which will make providing clean water for everyone an increasing challenge.

In order to meet this challenge, scientists will need a better estimate of how much water is available, and people will need to invest in efficient water infrastructure and employ water-sparing farming techniques around the world, experts say. But even that may not be enough to provide for a thirsty planet. Some regions of the world may have to stop producing water-hungry crops and products altogether, leaving that to countries with more ample water supplies.

The world's food security future is not a simple matter of producing more food. Rather, food security is affected by a number of intertwining factors, including population size, climate change, food production, food use (for things like animal feed and biofuels) and prices, experts say. The world's population will also have to pay close attention to its use of Earth's resources, or risk making the situation worse.

Climate Change

If greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise, and the global population swells to 11 billion people, could this growth worsen the effects of climate change, and overwhelm humanity's ability to fight global warming? Within the scientific community, this debate is brewing, but there is little consensus about how — or even if — population growth and climate change are directly linked.

Earth's animals

Growing human populations spell trouble for animals, and people are in the midst of driving the sixth-largest mass-extinction in the history of Earth, most biologists say. In general, conservationists and scientists are extremely worried about what the world's animal populations may look like if the human population grows to 11 billion.

Population growth is leading to destruction of wildlife habitat, and increasing demand for wildlife products. Some good news is that the richest animal diversity is found in a few spots, which could make conservation of these vital places easier. But it has to be made a priority, which is often not the case, scientists say.

Population growth is expected to surge in developing nations, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. These regions have much smaller carbon footprints than developed countries. But, some climatologists say rapid industrialization of developing nations and changes in their consumption levels could add stress to Earth's fragile ecosystems.

As long as social systems continue to exclude segments of the populations from major participation in those systems the woes of poverty, among which are starvation, disease, and competitive elimination, will lead to births in the name of whatever. Populations will soar as long as green measures are in some way practiced and average age will drop toward initial fecundity. Boom. Institution of social welfare, education, and fairness will bring those rates down to european and Japanese levels soon enough, er, until competition reignites tribalism ....

Although humans have, in theory, the capacity to regulate their raping of environment, to date, that haven't really been very successful as I pointed out above.

That sounds rather convoluted. You do know that a much, much higher percentage of Latinos are Christians than U.S. "white folks" are Christians don't you? Blacks have "white folks" way outnumbered in their respective Christian percentages too.

Are you perhaps suggesting that the churches are secretly telling this to only some select members of their congregation?

I believe it is published demographics, in part attributed to their being highly Catholic. Hispanics/Latinos within a few decades will become the majority based on birthrates.

No defend than early waves of Irish Catholics up through the 60s.

It's not just the formula. You can ignore the formula if you like, it won't change the evidence for the rate of degradation of ecosystems, clearing, habitat loss, etc, at our current rate.

Now imagine this activity in relation to rising living standards in terms of 10 billion inhabitants. Think in terms of 10 billion people consuming resources on a par with the average American, Englishman or Australian.

If you are realistic, it's not a pretty picture. It is a picture of humanity living on the edge of catastrophe.

Food security

Experts agree the planet can produce enough food for 11 billion people, but whether humans can do it sustainably, and whether consumers will ultimately be able to afford that food, are not guarantees.

Water security

Today, 2.7 billion people around the world face some water shortage in their daily lives. Clean, fresh water is a source of conflict in the U.S. Southwest, the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa. Most people expect these conflicts to grow in the coming years. But these water woes are just a foreshadowing of the problems to come if the world's population hits 11 billion people by the end of the century, which will make providing clean water for everyone an increasing challenge.

In order to meet this challenge, scientists will need a better estimate of how much water is available, and people will need to invest in efficient water infrastructure and employ water-sparing farming techniques around the world, experts say. But even that may not be enough to provide for a thirsty planet. Some regions of the world may have to stop producing water-hungry crops and products altogether, leaving that to countries with more ample water supplies.

The world's food security future is not a simple matter of producing more food. Rather, food security is affected by a number of intertwining factors, including population size, climate change, food production, food use (for things like animal feed and biofuels) and prices, experts say. The world's population will also have to pay close attention to its use of Earth's resources, or risk making the situation worse.

Climate Change

If greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise, and the global population swells to 11 billion people, could this growth worsen the effects of climate change, and overwhelm humanity's ability to fight global warming? Within the scientific community, this debate is brewing, but there is little consensus about how — or even if — population growth and climate change are directly linked.

Earth's animals

Growing human populations spell trouble for animals, and people are in the midst of driving the sixth-largest mass-extinction in the history of Earth, most biologists say. In general, conservationists and scientists are extremely worried about what the world's animal populations may look like if the human population grows to 11 billion.

Population growth is leading to destruction of wildlife habitat, and increasing demand for wildlife products. Some good news is that the richest animal diversity is found in a few spots, which could make conservation of these vital places easier. But it has to be made a priority, which is often not the case, scientists say.

Population growth is expected to surge in developing nations, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. These regions have much smaller carbon footprints than developed countries. But, some climatologists say rapid industrialization of developing nations and changes in their consumption levels could add stress to Earth's fragile ecosystems.

This is pretty much why the movement is seen as a religion. Like a religious fundamentalist, you keep quoting the scare claims from the activists literature that was first written in the 1960s. Christian apocalyptic fundamentalists keep quoting their holy book and pointing at how the prophecy is being fulfilled thus proving the second coming is at hand. A Christian fundamentalist quoting passages from Revelations isn't an argument even though they really, really believe it is. I'm sure you really, really believe the apocalyptic literature you are offering too.

Again I would encourage to do a little independent thinking outside the doomsday literature of the cult. Yes there are problems and inconveniences, there always has been, there always will be... but that doesn't mean they are not being addressed and solved.

Apparently you haven't accepted my challenge. I would encourage you to. I figure that if you can see one crack in the litany of nonsense being offered it could be a beginning. Take the flow rate of just one of the major rivers on the planet and compare the flow of just that one river to the assumed water use of 10 billion people on a per person basis, learn something about the water cycle, then try to justify the claim that humans will deplete the planet's water supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom