• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

I see you are using the "no, I didn't" defence. Well done. That sure showed me.

"No I'm not" is the only reasonable response to such an absurd claim. Why would you know what groups or identities I belong to better than I would? You are really not making much of a case here for being the antidote to arrogance, going around telling people who they are and treating their disagreement liek its a legal case they have to win rather than a simple correction of the dumb damn thing you just said. If that's what you think humility looks like, that really reframes the semantic weight of your argument concerning these "Wokes".

To sum up. I post a video with a claim. You argue against that claim. I assume you disagree with the claim. You think I'm illogical.

I see you are using the "no, I didn't" defence. Well done. That sure showed me.

"No I'm not" is the only reasonable response to such an absurd claim. Why would you know what groups or identities I belong to better than I would? You are really not making much of a case here for being the antidote to arrogance, going around telling people who they are and treating their disagreement liek its a legal case they have to win rather than a simple correction of the dumb damn thing you just said. If that's what you think humility looks like, that really reframes the semantic weight of your argument concerning these "Wokes".

To sum up. I post a video with a claim. You argue against that claim. I assume you disagree with the claim. You think I'm illogical.

I think ninjas have secretly taken over the White House. You say you aren't one of the ninjas, but since you disagree with my conspiracy theory about the ninjas, this proves you must be a ninja in disguise. You're either are a ninja, or you're against ninjas. It's impossible to have a neutral, reasonable perspective on social groupings and aesthetics other than your own.

See how dumb that line of argumentation looks to someone who knows they aren't a ninja, let alone part of a secret ninja conspiracy?

The "woke" never do.

For those playing at home, yes, same person said those quotes... in the same post... and appeared to be completely and utterly seriously unaware of the polar positions taken by said poster in those statements.

No, that's just my point. It's bizarre to demand that everybody learns the intricate specialized terminology for every marginalized group. You're just wrong. The word use might be indicative of what tribe the person saying it belongs to. But maybe not. You don't know.

I'm not transsexual. But I do know people who are. Yes, it's more than one. If I can't figure out the correct terminology to signal that I'm an ally then I'm not the problem. No, it's not about caring. It's not a competition of who is the best ally or who is the most empathic. If using the wrong word makes you put people into the evil box then transexualism is a proxy. Then you don't really care about transexuals. You just like hating people and creating division. If that's the case then it's just an ego trip of sitting on a high horse passing judgement. It's the joy of taking down blasphemers and watching them burn. Nothing about it is progressing or productive. It's woke.

It is not woke.

You aren't going to be put into an evil box by a woke person you have just met for using the wrong term or pronoun. You will likely get a gentle correction with a smile. Likely even the next time or two you use it, as long as it seems apparent that you are not doing it deliberately and with an intent to offend. Your trans friends already know you, and are aware of your proclivities. If they are not offended by your deliberate and repeated use of offensive language regarding their identity, then count yourself lucky that you have such good friends that are willing to overlook your being an asshole.

I get that using the non-offensive terminology requires some effort on the part of some people. I am one of those people. Unintentionally getting it wrong doesn't make one evil. Deliberately and persistently being offensive makes one an asshole. Fortunately for me, playing the "man with white hair is trying but failing" apology card suffices.

I recall how difficult it was for some people to stop referring to black people as "niggers" or "coons" or "spooks". They grew up in an era when that was considered normal and even appropriate in their region.

I get that using the non-offensive terminology requires some effort on the part of some people. I am one of those people. Unintentionally getting it wrong doesn't make one evil. Deliberately and persistently being offensive makes one an asshole. Fortunately for me, playing the "man with white hair is trying but failing" apology card suffices.

I recall how difficult it was for some people to stop referring to black people as "niggers" or "coons" or "spooks". They grew up in an era when that was considered normal and even appropriate in their region.

You really consider the distinction between transsexual and transgender comparable to nigger and Afro-American?

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

You really consider the distinction between transsexual and transgender comparable to nigger and Afro-American?

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

I don't follow?

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

I don't follow?

Tom didn't understand that history repeats itself, opened his mouth, and made us aware of what it was he didn't understand.

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom
I find your straw man to incredibly ironic. Try viewing my response in the context of the actual discussion.

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

That's what you got from Laughing Dog's statement? I interpreted it to mean so long as one doesn't mean to offend, it's okay to screw up and then try to do better. Certainly not your contention as to who is the more oppressed group, transgenders or blacks.

Ironically, that's a pitfall most people accuse the "woke" (whoever the fuck they are) of doing.

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

That's what you got from Laughing Dog's statement? I interpreted it to mean so long as one doesn't mean to offend, it's okay to screw up and then try to do better. Certainly not your contention as to who is the more oppressed group, transgenders or blacks.

Ironically, that's a pitfall most people accuse the "woke" (whoever the fuck they are) of doing.

And I'd like to AGAIN point out that it is insulting and ignorant as all hell to actually use the term "woke" that way.

It's tacky enough just bringing up a time when someone did use the term in the generally accepted usage.

I don't say who is or is not. I merely point to the people Tom slurs with someone else's compliment, as if using someone else's compliment as a slur is anything but an insult to the very people that use it as a compliment, and note that he slurs them and insults a culture by so slurring.

Given that I am becoming more and more sleepy by nature, being called "Woke" cracks me up.

Boy, is that ever Woke.
Tom

Who is more oppressed isn't my point at all.

It was about LD justifying some Wokester who called Zoid bad and ignorant for using one of two nearly synonymous words. Not utterly synonymous, of course. But sometimes, often, transsexual is the accurate term. A person might be transgender, but if they haven't any body mods they aren't transsexual. If they do, they are both transgender and transsexual. Gender is internal, it's your identity. Sex is external, it's your physique.

Calling someone names for that is pretty stupid. But it happens quite frequently. I see it as Very Woke. Behavior of that sort is why I consider the term a bit derogatory. LD just illustrated it.
Tom

It was about LD justifying some Wokester who called Zoid bad and ignorant for using one of two nearly synonymous words.
That did not happen. Your straw man is really stupid.

If I mistook Politesse or someone for you, I apologize.
Tom
The irony of your justification for calling me a name because of your blatantly stupid belief I justified someone calling someone else a name is truly fascinating.

And I'd like to AGAIN point out that it is insulting and ignorant as all hell to actually use the term "woke" that way.

It's tacky enough just bringing up a time when someone did use the term in the generally accepted usage.

I don't say who is or is not. I merely point to the people Tom slurs with someone else's compliment, as if using someone else's compliment as a slur is anything but an insult to the very people that use it as a compliment, and note that he slurs them and insults a culture by so slurring.

Sorry your feelings are hurt.
Tom

Sorry your feelings are hurt.
Tom

No, you aren't, or you wouldn't use someone else's compliment as a slur.

It is not good behavior to comport with. It does not foster discussion or understanding.

It is merely disruptive. It does not hurt my feelings, it shits on our collective floor of debate

The "woke" never do.

For those playing at home, yes, same person said those quotes... in the same post... and appeared to be completely and utterly seriously unaware of the polar positions taken by said poster in those statements.

No, that's just my point. It's bizarre to demand that everybody learns the intricate specialized terminology for every marginalized group. You're just wrong. The word use might be indicative of what tribe the person saying it belongs to. But maybe not. You don't know.

I'm not transsexual. But I do know people who are. Yes, it's more than one. If I can't figure out the correct terminology to signal that I'm an ally then I'm not the problem. No, it's not about caring. It's not a competition of who is the best ally or who is the most empathic. If using the wrong word makes you put people into the evil box then transexualism is a proxy. Then you don't really care about transexuals. You just like hating people and creating division. If that's the case then it's just an ego trip of sitting on a high horse passing judgement. It's the joy of taking down blasphemers and watching them burn. Nothing about it is progressing or productive. It's woke.

It is not woke.

You aren't going to be put into an evil box by a woke person you have just met for using the wrong term or pronoun. You will likely get a gentle correction with a smile. Likely even the next time or two you use it, as long as it seems apparent that you are not doing it deliberately and with an intent to offend. Your trans friends already know you, and are aware of your proclivities. If they are not offended by your deliberate and repeated use of offensive language regarding their identity, then count yourself lucky that you have such good friends that are willing to overlook your being an asshole.

Dr. Z, I did not mean to imply an insult by the above. I don't know if you are an asshole, or not, and I actually do not think you are an asshole. It was my intent to say that a person who deliberately and repeatedly offends someone in that manner, they are acting like an asshole. Please allow me to apologize if you took it as an insult. Unfortunately, by the time that was brought to my attention, I was unable to edit my post to make my intent more clear.

Back
Top Bottom