• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

You find yourself in the cretaceous

You can bring some things with you. No tank. But some small arms, AR -15 or so. Maybe some other things. How would you survive. We’ll make it North America so you have to deal with T. rex.
Treat T Rex with respect, dignity, and compassion and you will get it in return. Make friends with T Rx.

You can bring some things with you. No tank. But some small arms, AR -15 or so. Maybe some other things. How would you survive. We’ll make it North America so you have to deal with T. rex.
Treat T Rex with respect, dignity, and compassion and you will get it in return. Make friends with T Rx.
Maybe he’ll let you ride him like Jesus did. 9345A495-6587-428A-BF1E-F236955A194F.jpeg

Maybe he’ll let you ride him like Jesus did. View attachment 42461
You’re barely a mouthful. Don’t worry about it; the Cretaceous pathogens will get you in a day or two, anyhow.
🤗

Reactions: SLD
now my question is, why would T. rex or other meat eaters hunt them? You’re not their prey. You may not even be big enough To bother with. They want some veggie eating dinosaur that is their normal food source. Plus they aren’t likely to be prevalent as to be such a threat.

My brother had to hike through lion country once in Africa. Didn’t even see a lion. They probably steered clear of him. Who knows. Maybe he was just lucky.

I also don’t think they’d bother tracking you down. if they didn’t get you the first time, they’d probably go looking for other prey.
They would likely not be interested in us because we don't likely smell like their typical prey. That's likely why those lions weren't interested in that hiker.

Catching A Whiff Of T. Rex’s Sense Of Smell | Discover Magazine
and
Tyrannosaurus rex nosed out the competition, new study suggests - University College Dublin
noting
Olfactory receptor repertoire size in dinosaurs | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences

These dinosaurs had well-developed olfactory bulbs, meaning that they were big users of their sense of smell.

now my question is, why would T. rex or other meat eaters hunt them? You’re not their prey. You may not even be big enough To bother with. They want some veggie eating dinosaur that is their normal food source. Plus they aren’t likely to be prevalent as to be such a threat.

But why would T-rex not eat an unfamiliar animal it happened across?

My brother had to hike through lion country once in Africa. Didn’t even see a lion. They probably steered clear of him. Who knows. Maybe he was just lucky.
I don't know about African lions, but I do hike in mountain lion territory. Mountain lions appear to regard us as fellow large predators, unwise to tackle. Yes, they would win 100% of the time but predators care about winning without taking injury in the process. Prey that might hurt them is a desperation tactic only because getting hurt might mean that while you eat now you can't catch your next meal.

Mountain lions are only a threat if cornered or protecting kittens or if desperate. If none of those conditions apply expect them to depart without you ever being aware of them. Note, however, that this only applies to adults. Beware of letting your kids wander in mountain lion territory, they don't get nearly the free pass that adults get. Keep them with you.

A t-rex is going to have no reason to regard us as predators, though. (Same problem with polar bears--they don't have enough association with humans to have come to classify us as things to leave alone.)

That would not be very normal predator behavior, for the very reason you mention later in your post, but of course we know nothing of tyrannosaurid behavior.
We know a fair bit, from documentary films such as One Million Years BC. Apparently they're very keen to hunt scantily clad female humans.

Reactions: WAB
I want a 747. Under some redwood trees but 50 feet from a beautiful lake and mountains, a large field, rushing streams in and out of the lake. I'd cut a hole in the top front cabin roof for a fireplace. I can store my acorn collection in the floors below.

I want a 747. Under some redwood trees but 50 feet from a beautiful lake and mountains, a large field, rushing streams in and out of the lake. I'd cut a hole in the top front cabin roof for a fireplace. I can store my acorn collection in the floors below.
You're going to need an A380 to fit a time machine inside.

And, of course, if you don't try to kill Hitler with your time machine, someone else will inevitably hijack it for that purpose...

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/p/phillip-p-peterson/flight-39.htm

Predators usually hunt their typical prey. They might eat us if they’re hungry enough, but we’re not likely to attract their attention because we don’t look like prey nor are we big enough for them. They want a nice big juicy Edmontosaurus. A human would merely be a garnish.

Predators usually hunt their typical prey. They might eat us if they’re hungry enough, but we’re not likely to attract their attention because we don’t look like prey nor are we big enough for them. They want a nice big juicy Edmontosaurus. A human would merely be a garnish.
Realism doesn't always make for a good movie, though, does it? If you had your way, the movie would be as follows:

- Spaceship lands on Earth 65 million years ago.
- People wander across the land, dinosaurs are rarely, if ever, seen and ignore the humans when they are encountered.
- People reach their destination after months of hiking and camping along the way and go back to their original era.
- Credits roll
- Movie goers give it 1/10 stars for being boring. Movie loses millions.

The other point is, if you're pushing for the scientific realism angle, how about addressing the absurd idea of time travel back in time, rather than focusing on whether the T-Rex would consider us a tasty meal?

ETA: A cheap gimmick to boost the movie ratings would be to shoehorn a hot, busty babe wearing a fur bikini into the movie. Now that's something I could get behind!

if you're pushing for the scientific realism angle, how about addressing the absurd idea of time travel back in time, rather than focusing on whether the T-Rex would consider us a tasty meal?
Right. Obviously you’d make more of a meal for say, a velociraptor. 🤗

Time-Machine-DeLorean-Inducted-Into-National-Historic-Vehicle-Register.jpg

Wolves eat mice.

You might be right about the size. I'm just thinking a T-rex wouldn't have a concept of avoiding unfamiliar stuff because anything our size would be edible. Besides, they're reptiles, their parents aren't going to be teaching them this yes/that no. The only way to know is to try it.

Everyone focuses on the flux capacitor, but what really interests me is the Mr. Fusion. 1.21GW from something that size without it doing a rather spectacular self-destruct from waste heat?? The power coming out is roughly half what a Merlin engine (what's on the first stage of the Falcon 9/Falcon Heavy), the conversion efficiency must be awfully close to 100.00%. And how is the rest of the equipment on that car supposed to handle it? No mention of room temperature superconductors, no cryogenics, the wires should simply explode. (I'll accept that the power is being stored in the flux capacitor and then transferred to the environment during the jump, but it's not going to be 100.00%, either.)

Wolves eat mice.
Yup. And squirrels and rabits. But animals larger than rabits like woodchuck or raccoon can fight back. They would lose but there is a significant chance the wolf would get an injury like a stong bite on a paw and the wolf won't take the chance unless it's really starving or something.

It's a line I think about with our cats vs birds of pray. A hawk or owl could really injure my cats but would either ever take the risk.

You might be right about the size. I'm just thinking a T-rex wouldn't have a concept of avoiding unfamiliar stuff because anything our size would be edible. Besides, they're reptiles, their parents aren't going to be teaching them this yes/that no. The only way to know is to try it.
Probably wouldn’t avoid us. He doesn’t understand us. But he might ignore you as a meal, and I highly doubt he’d go looking for you after he saw you. If you were right in front of him? Well. That wouldn’t be good. You are indeed a target of opportunity.

37770CE1-7492-4896-8AA8-57CA0CBE97A1.png
you’re a leg bone to him without much meat.

The other issue is, how often does he feed? He doesn’t eat prey whenever he can. He eats and then relaxes for days likely. Lions eat every three or four days. Crocodiles about once a week. I’d bet closer to a week between meals if he ate a nice big Edmontosaurus. You just need to avoid disturbing him if you just saw him and his family eat.

Juveniles may be more dangerous.

if you're pushing for the scientific realism angle, how about addressing the absurd idea of time travel back in time, rather than focusing on whether the T-Rex would consider us a tasty meal?
Right. Obviously you’d make more of a meal for say, a velociraptor. 🤗
Yes. A raptor would be a threat. Especially if they are pack hunters. Remember that most raptors though are not as big as Jurassic Park, more dog size.

7E48F211-9C85-4A89-BDD6-22323230D436.jpeg

As for time travel, well I do have a scientific theory on that. If we accept Everett’s many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, then the universe splits. Einstein said FTL was absurd because you can’t time travel, and because there’s no tourists from the future. True. But what if you split the universe with QM? You’d go back into a different time that branched off from our universe the moment you arrived.

OK. It’s far fetched. But it’s a fun thought.

Back
Top Bottom