• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2020 Election Results

Or, simply consider the fact that every member who lost their seat opposed M4A, and every member who supported it won:

Could it be that all those who opposed it are from districts where supporting it would be even more of a losing position? Correlation is not causation.

Or, simply consider the fact that every member who lost their seat opposed M4A, and every member who supported it won:

Could it be that all those who opposed it are from districts where supporting it would be even more of a losing position? Correlation is not causation.

Of course. But if you look at the figure I posted, many of those who won are in red districts. Of course, I don't think it would win in, say, a +20R red district. But Katie Porter's +3R is nothing to sneer at. But the point is the policy has major support nationally, even polling above 50% for Republicans some times. No policy is going to enjoy universal support, but it is hard to argue that M4A is generally unpopular. And this is with the entire media establishment and so-called "Left-Wing" Democratic establishment being very negative about it. Given that, and given where the support lies currently, if there were actually a concerted, national effort to persuade voters I think it would be much more popular. But of course, the Democratic establishment doesn't want that.

But I guess, people think it's more effective to try to convince the Miami Cubans that the Dem's aren't Castro, or the so-called "moderate Republican" vote that never materialized in support of Biden, despite bending over backwards during the convention.

At the end of the day, most people are voting down cultural lines. And the Democrats have done a great job for 20 or more years making it plain that they have nothing but contempt for large swaths of America. It's a stupid strategy. No doubt, the Republicans in congress aren't that different, but they don't come off as sneering elites. And what you come off as is what matters.

No doubt, the Republicans in congress aren't that different, but they don't come off as sneering elites. And what you come off as is what matters.
wait, WHAT!?
dude... i don't know what you've been smoking to come up with that, but holy shit you may want to chill out on it a bit because you have apparently lost touch with reality.

republicans are absolutely the sneering elites in this country, and democrats are just generally meek and apologetic. have you seen a republican or a democrat speaking in public lately?
hyperbole aside, i genuinely cannot fathom how you could assert that and consider it to be a true statement.

What do you mean? Mitch McConnell is clearly a man of the people. I don’t know what planet those people are from though.

Democracy for America ... means counting all votes on Twitter: ".@ysimpsonpower saying it a little louder for the folks in the back Re: what happened down-ticket on Tuesday: So-called “moderate” swing seat incumbents lost, while progressive swing seat incumbents won. https://t.co/EGZ8u7UVm8" / Twitter

Deconstructed: What Happened?
NOVEMBER 3, 2020 was supposed to be the Democrats’ moment of glory: Polls predicted a comfortable victory for former Vice President Joe Biden, as well as gains in both the House and Senate. Instead, Biden seems set to eke out a narrow win while his party loses House seats and fails to gain control of the upper chamber. Rep. Ilhan Omar and Texas Democratic House candidate Mike Siegel discuss what happened.
IO described how she kept her door-to-door campaigning going, and MS described how he got more voters than expected, while the Republicans got even more -- more people who didn't usually vote. He talked about reaching out to many of the poorer people of his district, people who hardly ever vote.

The stock market is surging this morning.

Mr. Market seems to think that not having Donald Trump in office is "good for business."

The stock market is surging this morning.

Mr. Market seems to think that not having Donald Trump in office is "good for business."

That might not be the case once the word spreads that Fox and Republicans are now switching to Plan B, which is to backtrack and just blatantly say that Trump won. I think they didn't really expect Biden to win and it took them a couple of days to reestablish the narrative.

Unbelieveable cheek. They got their guy in the spot, spent their money doing things their way, and completely sidelined the Progressives as much as they possibly could without outright disowning them. And then the far Left, despite this ill treatment, overwhelmingly voted for Biden. It's their so-called crossover votes from disaffected white Repulican housewives that somehow failed to appear. This egg is on their traitorous, cowardly faces. What a joke we have for a "Left" in this godforsaken country.
This needs to shouted from every rooftop and printed at every major news outlet.

One result that Trump promised if Biden won the election was that the stock markets would crash.
Oh well... just another Trump lie laid bare for all to see.

Markets.jpg

One result that Trump promised if Biden won the election was that the stock markets would crash.

View attachment 30217

The most fucked part is that he'll just claim that the stock rises are because he is challenging the election results, and that it is all because Faux Noise is finally reporting that tRump "won"

And btw when I voted in person at 2:30 in the afternoon at the local elementary school the place was empty. They didn't even want to see my mail-in ballot. Took me less than 5 minutes. But I think that from now on mail-in ballots will have to be the norm. This has set the precedent.
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

I've always voted in person. I like the ritual, inconvenient as it is for us working folks. Maybe it's the Catholic in me.

In years past I've voted in town. Generally it took an hour to get through the line. In the rural area I've since moved to, the outer edge of the same county, it was quite different.

The polling place is the fire department building. I wanted to be there by 7am, to avoid the rush. But my mother-in-law was having a bad health day, I didn't get there until after 9. The parking lot was packed and the line was out the entrance door. I almost bailed, I really couldn't be there past 11. But, it turned out that people were distancing (unlike the norm around here) so the line wasn't very long. It was like a party! Here in Trumpland I didn't mention my straight ticket Democrat plan. It was really kinda fun.

In line just ahead was a couple with their boy, maybe 5y/o. They obviously knew the dude in line behind them. The kid would run up to the guy, smack him, then the guy would try to kick the kid back to his parents. But the kid could dodge and run fast! Then the guy would look around aimlessly as the kid snuck up on him again...
Everyone was laughing their asses off.

Tom

View attachment 30217

The most fucked part is that he'll just claim that the stock rises are because he is challenging the election results, and that it is all because Faux Noise is finally reporting that tRump "won"

He would probably agree. But the timing is off. Trump was claiming he won - "by a lot" - last week. The markets weren't impressed.
The markets were closed on Saturday when the election was called for Biden. This is the result.
Sorry, Donald - YOU fucked the markets by trying to pretend that the Trump Virus didn't exist.
Now that the prospect exists that someone might actually deal with it, the markets are overjoyed (rightfully or not).

Unbelieveable cheek. They got their guy in the spot, spent their money doing things their way, and completely sidelined the Progressives as much as they possibly could without outright disowning them. And then the far Left, despite this ill treatment, overwhelmingly voted for Biden. It's their so-called crossover votes from disaffected white Repulican housewives that somehow failed to appear. This egg is on their traitorous, cowardly faces. What a joke we have for a "Left" in this godforsaken country.
This needs to shouted from every rooftop and printed at every major news outlet.

Please translate that (what's bolded). Would you rather have Trump for the next 4 years, or Biden? There was no other choice except self-indulgent sententiousness.

And btw when I voted in person at 2:30 in the afternoon at the local elementary school the place was empty. They didn't even want to see my mail-in ballot. Took me less than 5 minutes. But I think that from now on mail-in ballots will have to be the norm. This has set the precedent.
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

I've always voted in person. I like the ritual, inconvenient as it is for us working folks. Maybe it's the Catholic in me.

In years past I've voted in town. Generally it took an hour to get through the line. In the rural area I've since moved to, the outer edge of the same county, it was quite different.

The polling place is the fire department building. I wanted to be there by 7am, to avoid the rush. But my mother-in-law was having a bad health day, I didn't get there until after 9. The parking lot was packed and the line was out the entrance door. I almost bailed, I really couldn't be there past 11. But, it turned out that people were distancing (unlike the norm around here) so the line wasn't very long. It was like a party! Here in Trumpland I didn't mention my straight ticket Democrat plan. It was really kinda fun.

In line just ahead was a couple with their boy, maybe 5y/o. They obviously knew the dude in line behind them. The kid would run up to the guy, smack him, then the guy would try to kick the kid back to his parents. But the kid could dodge and run fast! Then the guy would look around aimlessly as the kid snuck up on him again...
Everyone was laughing their asses off.

Tom

That was me. I'm proud to vote so voting in person has always been the icing on the cake. I have dozens of I Voted stickers on my lunch box. But I decided to quit working this year due to covid instead of going till 70 and I would have used the drop off ballot if the polling place was packed. As it was I got to thank the poll workers and chat about how I went to school there as a kid. It makes it more real.

Back
Top Bottom