• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

The math?

The fewer the election integrity measures voter suppression and intimidation policies in place, the better Democrats do?
FTFY
You did not.
The policies weren't put in place because Republicans noticed rampant voter fraud. There was no rampant voter fraud. There is no rampant voter fraud. There is barely any voter fraud at all. If these policies reduced fraudulant votes it was by a miniscule fraction compared to the number of votes they prevented by making voting more difficult and inconvenient for people. So if the policies discourage voting by a significant amount and don't discourage fraudulent votes by a significant amount then those policies are more appropriately described as "voter suppression policies," not "election integrity measures."

Do the math.

Frisch up over Boebert by 73 votes with 98% reporting.
That is likely to get eaten up. It was so close. It shouldn't have been that close. She is that bad.
one can argue that Fetterman was a bad candidate while recognizing that Oz was even worse. Had the Republicans picked a normal candidate they likely would have won.

Republicans haven't picked many "normal" candidates since 2016.
The GOP has had a number of fumbles where viable candidates to win races were defeated by populist fools like Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Roy Moore, and Richard Mourdock. They also have a couple huge own goals with Todd Akins and George Allen. Anyone remember Allen? He was supposed to be a potential POTUS headliner. The Senate race is statewide, and the GOP keeps treating it like a local House race. And with it being a 6 year term, losing it needlessly, is devastating from a Senate control aspect.

So while Trump has been guilty of handpicking some bad candidates, he is merely continuing a GOP tradition of forgetting that the world isn't exactly working the way they thought it would. Kind of brings to mind the 2012 election and Karl Rove. Oh, and 2022, the election the alt-right media were treating like a coronation instead of an election where everyone gets a chance to have their voice heard.

Since Metaphor doesn't understand what an accommodation is for, I'm going to ignore him and go back to the election results.

I said earlier some analysts had called CO-03 for Frisch, but they have taken that back, because they were wrong about what votes were left uncounted. Apparently there's been confusion from that district.

This guy from a local news outlet also called it for Frisch.

But it looks like he's also working with some false assumptions.

Dems still have a shot at the House so this could be an important seat. They did make a pickup in CO-08 which was also crucial to their path. So now it looks like CO-03 and the uncalled California seats are going to decide it. Might not know for days or weeks for some seats.

Just looked it up. Frisch is still up by 64 votes with 99% reporting.

The senate races in Arizona and Neveda are still too close to call. Looks like Arizona will go well for dems. Neveda is a toss-up. Obviously Georgia will be fun. But it appears to me that the biggest winner last Tuesday will be Joe Manchin.

FhIS4E0XoAAk54y
I was hoping this thread would not degenerate into reposting idiotic tweets by nobodies.
Says the guy who includes stupid gifs with half his posts.

The senate races in Arizona and Neveda are still too close to call. Looks like Arizona will go well for dems. Neveda is a toss-up. Obviously Georgia will be fun. But it appears to me that the biggest winner last Tuesday will be Joe Manchin.
Currently, the House is looking to be between 215 to 220 (three seat majority) to 209 to 226 (9 seat majority). It is current 220 D to 212 R.

If it fumbles down to 215 to 220, heads will roll in the DNC in the state of NY. The loss of the House would be on Cuomo. The DNC seriously needs to get its act together in that state. How many Democrats have resigned in disgrace from Governor, three or was it four?

Meanwhile, the award for worst chart ever due to a color theme, we get the Washington Post. Incredible how it is nearly impossible to actually infer percent count left in that chart by looking at it.

I'm just relieved that there was no red wave. I didn't expect Stacey to win. It would have been like a miracle if she did. Despite my support of her, I think she ran a much better campaign in 2018, and the Republicans did an effectivel job of demonizing her this time around. Sure, there was likely a little bit of sexism in the mix, along with the usual Democratic voter apathy. Perhaps the biggest obstacle was that she ran against an incumbent, who despite some of his despicable policies, he never lied about the 2020 election and he didn't let Trump manipulate him into election denial. We will only be stuck with him for one more term. With the growing population in Georgia, the state might be a bit more blue in 2024. Hoping... :D
Republicans getting either the House or the Senate basically is game over for democracy.

The Dems don’t have the Senate yet. Georgia is likely going to a runoff unless mail-ins pull heavy to Warnock. NV looks lost, the Dems need Georgia, poor Georgian streamers.

NV has lots of mail ins left, far from over.
Yup. They sent us all absentee ballots. You could use them or you could vote in person.

The ultimate outcome is still not fully counted. The control of the House and the control of the Senate are not yet determined.
To the letter of the law, no. But The Dems gained a seat in the Senate 50-49, there will be a runoff, however. If history repeats (like it seemed to do last night) Dems finish 51-49. The GOP won the House and will have a 15 to 25 seat majority. The Dems gained a couple state legislatures. And anti-abortion sentiments were discarded everywhere from California to Kentucky. GOP made gains, but nothing like the alt-right media empire were bragging about beforehand.
GOP house means we have two years of deadlock. Ukraine has probably lost the war. No more investigation into the coup attempt.

one can argue that Fetterman was a bad candidate while recognizing that Oz was even worse. Had the Republicans picked a normal candidate they likely would have won.

Republicans haven't picked many "normal" candidates since 2016.
This. I'm still registered Republican because I'm more afraid of the extreme right than the extreme left and thus care more about voting for a moderate Republican than a moderate Democrat. We had a couple of moderates on the ballot, but none in my district. At least it produced a nice voter guide that told me who not to vote for in the nonpartisan races.

I'm just relieved that there was no red wave. I didn't expect Stacey to win. It would have been like a miracle if she did. Despite my support of her, I think she ran a much better campaign in 2018, and the Republicans did an effectivel job of demonizing her this time around. Sure, there was likely a little bit of sexism in the mix, along with the usual Democratic voter apathy. Perhaps the biggest obstacle was that she ran against an incumbent, who despite some of his despicable policies, he never lied about the 2020 election and he didn't let Trump manipulate him into election denial. We will only be stuck with him for one more term. With the growing population in Georgia, the state might be a bit more blue in 2024. Hoping... :D
Republicans getting either the House or the Senate basically is game over for democracy.
I don't agree that the Republicans having a very slight majority will be so much of a problem for democracy. Sure, democracy is still fragile and the Republican majority means It will difficult to get lot of things done, but there are at least a handful of moderate Republicans left mostly in some of the Northern states who I think will be willing to work across the aisle. I think a lot of the more moderate Republicans are getting fed up with the crazies on the far right. I think it's likely that most Republicans in Congress are getting tired of Trump.

A lot of bipartisan bills were passed during Biden's first two years, so there is no reason not to expect more of this during the rest of his term. I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you seem to be.

If the ballots are legitimate then ballot “harvesting” is fine. Illegitimate ballots are a different problem and should be caught with other methods, like comparison to voting rolls and signature comparison.

It’s always been I clear what the complainers are actually complaining about here. What is the exact mechanism that is being used for cheating? The examples I’ve seen are republicans voting for their dead relatives who still received a mail ballot after they died.

GOP house means we have two years of deadlock.

No, depends on the bill. Either side can pick off a few members from the other side to join them, depending.

If it's close to 218-217, then it means nobody can resign, can't get sick or die, have to show up for every close vote, might even get party defections, maybe sweet committee enticements, etc.

What is the exact mechanism that is being used for cheating?
I think you need to put that to @Jason Harvestdancer
He confidently states that the 2020 election was "tainted".
So far, nobody has been able pry an answer out of him regarding the source of this alleged "taint", but maybe you can be the one to crack the case?

GOP house means we have two years of deadlock. Ukraine has probably lost the war. No more investigation into the coup attempt.

And plenty of investigations, all repeated several times over, into Hunter Biden, Dr. Fauci, Nancy Pelosi, AOC, "massive voter fraud," and whatever else gets stuck in the GOP's collective craw on any given week.

Back
Top Bottom