• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A Brief Summary of the Christian Bible

The Bible says a lot of things. But cherry picking the nice-sounding parts is also heretical except to the most New Age, liberal versions of Christianity.

Indeed. The Bible says a lot of different things, depending on how it's cherry-picked. I think I'm going to make the Unabridged Dictionary my Bible. It can say whatever I want it to, depending upon the sequence of the entries I choose to cherry-pick. In fact, I bet it can say even more things than a cherry-picked Bible! :D

I suppose I simply find it a bit odd to claim that the "central tenet" of the faith is something that none of the people itt who belong to that faith quite recognize.

And the more this thread goes on, the more tempted I am to produce my own summary of the Bible. :D A bit of an egotistical enterprise, though, summarizing something that means such different but important (and to my mind valid) things to different people.
And yet, billions of people worldwide think they are the Christians...

Side note: Christianity and Islam are the same dog barking at itself in the mirror.

I wonder if any Christians or apologists have the wherewithal to ask why that is.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bible says a lot of things. But cherry picking the nice-sounding parts is also heretical except to the most New Age, liberal versions of Christianity.

Indeed. The Bible says a lot of different things, depending on how it's cherry-picked. I think I'm going to make the Unabridged Dictionary my Bible. It can say whatever I want it to, depending upon the sequence of the entries I choose to cherry-pick. In fact, I bet it can say even more things than a cherry-picked Bible! :D

Whatever it takes to maintain the ideological group image.

You can simplify it even more.

Once upon a time people wondered how they got here, why they are here, and what happens after they die. So God told them.

OK, but when he was telling the story, why'd he include the bit about the talking donkey? Was he drunk or something?

The talking ass was an inside joke among dogs. Dog is God spelled backwards.

..."Once upon a time there wasn't anything, and so a god made everything. Then people were made, and a lot of stuff happened within the little circle on this map:

In the bible God did heaps of things outside that circle.
Have you read the bible?

Side note: Christianity and Islam are the same dog barking at itself in the mirror.
Then your mirror is broken.

Anyone who claims Christianity and Islam are the same as each other or opposite sides of the same coin knows little about either.

Only the details are different. What drives both is the same for both. The underlying animal brain manipulation is the same for both. The underlying lack of critical thinking is the same for both. Both are absolutist, social dominance ideologies. Both thrive on ignorance and fear. Both enjoy pointing to ordinary human goodness as proof of the ideology's goodness, while both ignore and excuse the ideology's weaknesses and errors. Both produce right wing authoritarian followers. Both spawn war and suffering if not kept in check by wider secular societies. The list goes on.

Then your mirror is broken.

Anyone who claims Christianity and Islam are the same as each other or opposite sides of the same coin knows little about either.

Both spawn war and suffering if not kept in check by wider secular societies.
Yes those wider, secular communist societies were so good at spawning war and suffering.

And before you complain do not tell me that those societies were not secular.

You can simplify it even more.

Once upon a time people wondered how they got here, why they are here, and what happens after they die. So God told them.

So your Bible told you, and you believed it, and believe it even now.

Yes. Pretty much.
But you know, it wasn't called "The Bible"TM when it was being written.

Yes those wider, secular communist societies were so good at spawning war and suffering.

Religion reinforces and cultivates the worst of human nature.

Saying "No, you!" doesn't excuse the inhumane, stunted, fear-based nature of religion or the resulting effects.

A secular society at least has the chance to develop peacefully. A secular society is not further bound and limited by beliefs that are intended to reinforce ignorance and fear.

Being an atheist doesn't guarantee a humane world view. It's just human nature not bound and limited by ignorant, fearful religious beliefs.

You suggest that human nature is already bad. Maybe it is. That's no excuse to exacerbate evil by perpetuating ignorance and fear and by punishing the very things that can mitigate evil.

Saying "No, you!" doesn't excuse the inhumane, stunted, fear-based nature of religion or the resulting effects.

A secular society at least has the chance to develop peacefully. A secular society is not further bound and limited by beliefs that are intended to reinforce ignorance and fear.

Being an atheist doesn't guarantee a humane world view. It's just human nature not bound and limited by ignorant, fearful religious beliefs.

You suggest that human nature is already bad. Maybe it is. That's no excuse to exacerbate evil by perpetuating ignorance and fear and by punishing the very things that can mitigate evil.

Yes, it reinforces all that terrible stuff: universal love, compassion, mercy and aid for the poor...

If one insists on only considering the negative side of other people's viewpoints, and only the positive sides of one's own, it does have the comforting effect of false certitude in one's virtues. But it comes at the cost of creating a world of false stereotypes and cross-eyed perspectives, which obscures the universal qualities of the human experience, the good and the bad.

Yes, it reinforces all that terrible stuff: universal love, compassion, mercy and aid for the poor...

If one insists on only considering the negative side of other people's viewpoints, and only the positive sides of one's own, it does have the comforting effect of false certitude in one's virtues. But it comes at the cost of creating a world of false stereotypes and cross-eyed perspectives, which obscures the universal qualities of the human experience, the good and the bad.

Yes, thank you for describing religion.

I think all beliefs and world views are better if not held as absolutes that cannot be questioned.

Let's question the tenets of Christianity, Islam, and the rest, shall we? Let's talk about what's lip service to compassion while worshiping identity. Let's talk about what happens to dissidents within religious groups. If you want to talk about non-religious absolutist authoritarian ideologies, fine, yes, let's do that, too.

Let's identify the beliefs and ideas that give rise to war and hatred, and why religions are so determined to not only maintain those tenets but to enshrine them and call them "morality." Let's talk about why group identity means so much more to millions of people than actual human beings.

Let's also talk about what groups and ideologies, religious or not, actually have the potential to serve a peaceful tribe of seven billion. Which ones are inclusive of seven billion and which ones doggedly separate the world in us vs them divisions. Which ones are open to change? Which ones hold cultural myopia as a holy sacrament and expect seven billion people to bow to it? Which ones value questioning and which ones operate under fear of anything different or new?

Christianity on the whole could learn something from a small sect the most of them don't know a thing about: Quakers. What's different about them that makes them so peaceful? What are their most valued tenets? Do those tenets have anything to do with why mainstream Christianity acts like a bloodthirsty baboon and Quakers consistently do not?

What tenets of Christianity, once you honestly question them, give rise to the selfish, fearful, ignorant, hypocritical horde that poses as the "moral majority" in the US these days? Why do such people have so much political and social power in the West? Why would a person of conscience and humane values object to the lazy right wing authoritarianism that passes for thought among Christians?

I think all beliefs and world views are better if not held as absolutes that cannot be questioned.

Let's question the tenets of Christianity, Islam, and the rest, shall we? Let's talk about what's lip service to compassion while worshiping identity. Let's talk about what happens to dissidents within religious groups. If you want to talk about non-religious absolutist authoritarian ideologies, fine, yes, let's do that, too.

Let's identify the beliefs and ideas that give rise to war and hatred, and why religions are so determined to not only maintain those tenets but to enshrine them and call them "morality." Let's talk about why group identity means so much more to millions of people than actual human beings.

Let's also talk about what groups and ideologies, religious or not, actually have the potential to serve a peaceful tribe of seven billion. Which ones are inclusive of seven billion and which ones doggedly separate the world in us vs them divisions. Which ones are open to change? Which ones hold cultural myopia as a holy sacrament and expect seven billion people to bow to it? Which ones value questioning and which ones operate under fear of anything different or new?

Christianity on the whole could learn something from a small sect the most of them don't know a thing about: Quakers. What's different about them that makes them so peaceful? What are their most valued tenets? Do those tenets have anything to do with why mainstream Christianity acts like a bloodthirsty baboon and Quakers consistently do not?

What tenets of Christianity, once you honestly question them, give rise to the selfish, fearful, ignorant, hypocritical horde that poses as the "moral majority" in the West these days? Why do such people have so much political and social power in the West? Why would a person of conscience and humane values object to the lazy right wing authoritarianism that passes for thought among Christians?
No, I was describing your post... Applies to this one also. You're looking at your own perspective only in terms of potential virtues, and at everyone else as both falsely homogenous and exclusively in terms of costs. You are doing the same here. Highlighting Quakers as a group you're willing to tolerate doesn't count for much when you follow it up with a sentence like "lazy right wing authoritarianism that passes for thought among Christians". Would you feel mollified if someone said "I like Carl Sagan okay, but atheism as a whole is a poison that will destroy humanity"? Prejudice and stereotyping is the same animal wherever it is found, and however justified you think it is.

We have different religious outlooks, we are not different species. The qualities of compassion and hatred, trust and fear, wisdom and ignorance, are found in all societies.

What tenets of Christianity, once you honestly question them, give rise to the selfish, fearful, ignorant, hypocritical horde that poses as the "moral majority" in the West these days? Why do such people have so much political and social power in the West? Why would a person of conscience and humane values object to the lazy right wing authoritarianism that passes for thought among Christians?
No, I was describing your post... Applies to this one also. You're looking at your own perspective only in terms of potential virtues, and at everyone else as both falsely homogenous and exclusively in terms of costs. You are doing the same here.

We have different religious outlooks, we are not different species. The qualities of compassion and hatred, trust and fear, wisdom and ignorance, are found in all societies.

No, I'm not. I look at what beliefs do to human minds and groups. I don't care what group identity anyone wants to put me in. Atheism doesn't define me or direct my choices in life. I'm not an atheist until religion enters the conversation.

Can you give me an example of where I've suggested that we are a different species?? Try reading my posts and you'll find constant reminders that all human beings have the capacity for all human traits. These are the very things I question and think about.

Is it possible that you are speaking from a position of ideological identity? Is it maybe just a little bit offensive that someone has the gall to question whether group identity worship might be a problem among the religious?

It's not my sense of identity that suggests that submitting to authority is the opposite of conscience. It's observation and questioning that bring me to that conclusion. It's not my sense of identity that makes me balk at belief systems that perpetuate us vs. them attitudes, punishment mentality, negativity bias, authority worship, etc. It's my ordinary humanity, especially now that it has been freed of the religious ignorance I grew up with.

I don't give a shit what you want to label me. I do give a shit about my tribe of seven billion, and I do give a shit about why that tribe is invisible or demonized by large groups of people who let their precious identity and its selected mouthpieces dictate their thoughts.

What tenets of Christianity, once you honestly question them, give rise to the selfish, fearful, ignorant, hypocritical horde that poses as the "moral majority" in the US these days? Why do such people have so much political and social power in the West? Why would a person of conscience and humane values object to the lazy right wing authoritarianism that passes for thought among Christians?

Gods and religions are man-made, and so all pretty well reflect human nature, with all the characteristics you mention above. Some religions (?all) seek to control the worst of human nature as they see it but their methods of control also reflect human nature and are abhorrent, just as human nature is. The Quakers are exceptional, but the fact than they are fewer than 500,000 world-wide, out of a world population of seven and a half billion, should have given you a clue to just how exceptional they are. True, you could count some non-Abrahamic religions as being similar and pad the numbers in your favour, but we have recently seen how even "peaceful" Buddhists act when they disapprove of another group living among them, so leave them out of your calculations.

I think you are living in a world of wishful thinking and are unable to see , or admit, that things would not be as portrayed in John Lennon's "Imagine", had it not been for the evils of religion. The basic problem is not the multiplicity of gods and religions, but the nature of the human animals that have created them.

Gods and religions are man-made, and so all pretty well reflect human nature, with all the characteristics you mention above. Some religions (?all) seek to control the worst of human nature as they see it but their methods of control also reflect human nature and are abhorrent, just as human nature is. The Quakers are exceptional, but the fact than they are fewer than 500,000 world-wide out of a world population of seven and a half billion should have given you a clue to just how eceptional they are. True, you could count some non-Abrahamic religions as being similar and pad the numbers in your favour, but we have recently seen how even "peaceful" Buddhists act when they disapprove of another group living among them, so leave them out of your calculations.

I use Quakers as an example because of the specific differences between them and mainstream Christianity. I'm asking the apologists here if they are aware of those differences and what those differences tell us about mainstream Christianity as a whole.

I think most religious and apologists don't actually know what they are defending.

I think you arte living in a world of wishful thinking and are unable to see , or admit, that things would not be as portrayed in John Lennon's "Imagine", had it not been for the evils of religion. The basic problem is not the multiplicity of gods and religions, but the nature of the human animals that have created them.

Not a big John Lennon fan, but waving me off as wishful thinking is quite a handy convenience for people who don't like my criticisms of religion.

Why are you telling me of all people that gods and religions are human creations? :rotfl: Maybe you're confusing me with someone else? I think religious people and their apologists are the ones who need to hear that. Also, I never mentioned multiplicity of gods... not sure what that has to do with anything I've said here. (Since you mention it, pantheistic religions are less poisonous than monotheisms in my opinion, but that's a different conversation.)

My point is, as it usually is, that religion is largely group identity and social conformity, and not at all spirituality or actual human experiences of transcendence, or enlightenment, or transformation, or whatever you want to call the stuff that religion hijacks and pretends to represent. Those human experiences might give rise to the flavors and concepts of each religion, but religion is nothing more than group ideology and identity, mixed with culture and god concepts and other wild, human things.

When the ideology is absolutist, authoritarian, literal, black and white, and self-righteous, it has the power to hijack large swaths of humanity's animal brain. When an ideology values itself over human beings, as Christianity does (please, let's have that conversation! :D) and as Islam and other us vs them ideologies do, war and conflict are inevitable. Inevitable, not just likely, but in-fucking-evitable.

We have the tools to examine these things. We have the capacity for self reflection. We have the capacity to change our minds, to challenge our preconceived beliefs, to question our subjective, intuitive experiences and responses.

This is not wishful thinking, it's not outlandish, it's not even rare. People do this all the time. Even the most absolutist religionist is constantly changing their world view whether they are aware of it or not. Even the most absolutist religions themselves are constantly changing and morphing.

It's not even wishful thinking or outlandish to see that technology and the information age, with all the dangers that come with it, serve to speed up change and to spread ideas. Few people are closed off and protected from other points of view, and dwindling in number all the time.

Really the only question now is, in response to this new, chaotic, alien environment we've created, whether culture clash fear and ego will win out over curiosity and ordinary human empathy. Humanity is adapting, and religions like Christianity are maladaptive to a technological tribe of seven billion. There are just some things that in previous times, small fear-based ideologies didn't have to worry too much about. Now it's clear that some mechanisms that our brains have developed in small tribes in long periods of peace that do not and cannot serve humanity in the current environment. Killing or enslaving billions is not a sane, humane option, but that's essentially what backward religion offers in lieu of the critical thinking and plasticity required to adapt with the least amount of suffering. Things will continue as they are as long as individuals revere group identity and hold it as more valuable than the whole tribe.

And this is not a diatribe in favor of collectivism. We already are collectivist in nature. It's just that individual egos tend to tell us a different story. We have the capacity to value our humanness more than our incidental group identities. Much of religion and other ideologies no only do not acknowledge this but serve to discourage understanding of this ordinary, obvious fact.

No, I was describing your post... Applies to this one also. You're looking at your own perspective only in terms of potential virtues, and at everyone else as both falsely homogenous and exclusively in terms of costs. You are doing the same here.

No, I'm not. I look at what beliefs do to human minds and groups. I don't care what group identity anyone wants to put me in. Atheism doesn't define me or direct my choices in life. I'm not an atheist until religion enters the conversation.

Can you give me an example of where I've suggested that we are a different species?? Try reading my posts and you'll find constant reminders that all human beings have the capacity for all human traits. These are the very things I question and think about.

Is it possible that you are speaking from a position of ideological identity? Is it maybe just a little bit offensive that someone has the gall to question whether group identity worship might be a problem among the religious?

It's not my sense of identity that suggests that submitting to authority is the opposite of conscience. It's observation and questioning that bring me to that conclusion. It's not my sense of identity that makes me balk at belief systems that perpetuate us vs. them attitudes, punishment mentality, negativity bias, authority worship, etc. It's my ordinary humanity, especially now that it has been freed of the religious ignorance I grew up with.

I don't give a shit what you want to label me. I do give a shit about my tribe of seven billion, and I do give a shit about why that tribe is invisible or demonized by large groups of people who let their precious identity and its selected mouthpieces dictate their thoughts.
You are generalizing demonizing "all religions" (as though they were one thing!) and want me to believe that being non-religious is not key to your sense of personal identity?

You are generalizing demonizing "all religions" (as though they were one thing!) and want me to believe that being non-religious is not key to your sense of personal identity?

For fuck's sake. No, I am not. Do you really need me to explicitly say "not all..."? You really need to hear that in any conversation about religion?

Religion is ideology. Ideologies are made up of elements - beliefs, tenets, emotional responses, cognitive considerations, principles, social mechanisms, etc. The ones we call "religion" typically have special elements like supernatural beliefs and special group identity. I don't need anyone to identify as "non-religious" in order to feel secure in my views. The only time that would mean anything to me is in relation to things like census taking, where the resulting numbers might have a cultural effect that skews our understanding of the society it's supposed to reflect.

My being non-religious is by far less important than whether I hold humane principles, whether I question the influences of my personal world and culture.

Here's an example. I would not go topless in public. Why? Because I'm conditioned to be very uncomfortable doing so. I recognize that this is just conditioning and that my discomfort says nothing about whether going topless is the behavior of an inferior morality. I recognize that showing my boobs in public is not in and of itself wrong. My discomfort comes from the very strong and deeply wired behavioral conditioning of a complex, intelligent social animal. If I thought going topless could somehow save lives or something, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But in my life, there is no pressure whatsoever for me to go topless in public so I'm not really pushed to challenge that discomfort. I am, however, pushed by my own conscience and way of thinking to challenge any idea that this discomfort is due to moral superiority that might rise up out of my ass into consciousness to defend that discomfort.

I'm an American. I didn't choose to be born here but I'm glad I was. I'm proud of my country for reasons that have nothing to do with me personally, except in whatever ways I might happen to reflect something good about America, but I still can't take credit for that as I am a product of my culture like everyone else. My Americanness is not superior to other cultures' pride of country. It's more like a side effect of human identification with the familiar group, in and of itself an interesting facet of human nature but not a matter of value.

Tell a Christian about faraway humans suffering. Tell them about the girls who were kidnapped and kept as sex slaves. Then tell them that their Christian identity is not a valuable thing in and of itself, and see which one bothers them more.

That mentality is not conducive to a peaceful tribe of seven billion. And the exceptions that you will no doubt bring up, the few religious folk who do make an attempt to see humanity as a whole rather than in chopped up, easy-to-sort groups of good vs evil to be judged, are just that - few - and therefore irrelevant to the fact that billions of minds are bound tightly by religious identities that fiercely resist acknowledging the true nature of their tribe.

...Tell a Christian about faraway humans suffering. Tell them about the girls who were kidnapped and kept as sex slaves. Then tell them that their Christian identity is not a valuable thing in and of itself, and see which one bothers them more.

The first two would be the only ones that bothered me.
The third one is just white noise.

I mean, since when do I let someone else (like an atheist) presume to tell me about my relationship with God?

Not tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, or nakedness, peril, sword…neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature…

Back
Top Bottom